Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews in United States

Very Family Oriented
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dumfries, VAJune 1, 2016
Family & work balance is the number one reason this company is great to work for. Benefits and pay are a close runner up of the pros of working for Extra Space Storage.
Dishonest & Negative
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMay 18, 2016
This was a good company a year and a half ago, but has steadily gotten worse. I was lied to and lied about by my district manager.

I worked harder for this company than any other. You will work in the heat until you feel sick. No one will notice.

They are firing good employees or making them so unhappy they are forced to resign.

They have pressured members of leadership and employees (especially new employees) to submit glassdoor reviews to make the company seem more caring than it is. Don't fall for it.
Pros
Not a bad industry.
Cons
Dishonest district managers with poor leadership skills
Good experience
Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Taylors, SCMay 15, 2016
There was a lot more to this job than I expected when I applied. I learned a lot about my customer service experience - which will help me in other service based jobs, as well as the industry and general competitiveness.

Management was great. The company is involved with its people and wants to do the right thing on their behalf.

The environment could be stressful due to the stress level of the clientele - depending on why they are needing storage (i.e., going through a divorce, storing items after a family members' death, etc).

Overall, it was a great experience and the money was good. There were incentives to earn more money on top of base pay too..
Pros
Incentives
Cons
30 minute lunch, working in the heat
Dreary, dull workday.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 9, 2016
Management only cares about numbers and not the individual. Do not pay based on experience or education. I'm a college graduate with 5 years management experience and my district manager hired a girl right out of high school and paid her a dollar more than I.
Pros
Easy work week.
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, dont care about the employee.
Not a good job to have
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 26, 2016
turnover is high, pay is low, job is dirty, and customers are rarely happy. most customers are going through bad times and they like taking it out on anyone they can. you are not respected and viewed by most customers as less than dirt. if you are looking at living on site you will be paid even less, and you will be caught in a never ending "how do i get out of this job."
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
the job itself
very nice place to work gets busy during storage season
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2016
a good place to work with benefits 401k plan if your looking for a desk job with a little outside work this is a home for you.
Liars
Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 14, 2016
They lie to customers, they lie to employees, Corp office do not want to see or hear what is going on, The Miami area DM is firing managers that have been with the company for 10 years to hire lower wage workers, They make the employees lie to customers
Pros
Cons
You will waste your time due to no advancement after you hit so many years
Great Place to work,WILL Be put to work alone with no help for 3-4 months
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 11, 2016
a typical day was very stressful considering the fact that I only have been working for the company for only 3 months before they force to run a whole property by myself. Not saying i'm not up for the challenge but to see the person struggle to manage the property when you can give them help by having some one work with them so all the pressure is not put on one person to do it all.
Pros
pay is good, good work environment
Cons
work alone, no team help, days are slow, no customers, bad DM's, bias, one mistake your gone, horrible training, self work
Asked to lie for a company that lacks integrity
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeApril 8, 2016
Worst company that I've worked for. Completely lacking in integrity. No room for advancement for people of color or women. You are at the mercy of your DM and DVP. Responsibilities and policies change on a whim. They low ball employees in regard to salary. Took months to correct a simple payroll issue. They gauge tenants and leave site employees to bear the brunt of their greed. Force employees to sell insurance, which is illegal if you are not licensed and the company owns the insurance company so they get a kick back for every policy sold. You are always on-call without being compensated which is illegal for non-exempt employees. A third of my paycheck went to pay for basic health benefits.Horrible experience.
Pros
Non
Cons
Company completely lacks integrity
Extra Space Storage is a good company with not a great deal of growing potential for employees.
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 31, 2016
This position is demanding for a facility of this caliber. I have found myself running the property alone due to Assistant Managers being hard to come by and hard to retain. Customer service is the main priority and working with a diversified group of people is definitely a required quality. The job is physically demanding entailing a great deal of cleaning and polishing. Upper Management is known to be hands on and they make an appearance about 2 times a year. The semi-annual meetings are a great learning tool and a great motivator.
Pros
Live on site opportunities, healthcare, dental & vision plans, 401k, monthly bonuses
Cons
Annual reviews with very small annual income raises
daily work load high
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 22, 2016
this is a good place to work if you like cleaning and keeping up after people. long hours and have to work most if not all weekends. If you have a family prepare to have only night to enjoy them.
Cons
always something to take of. working weekends
The best job that I have ever had
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 21, 2016
I've worked for Extra Space for about 9 months now as an assistant manager and it is has been great. The job is nothing less than a constant learning experience. If you're motivated and passionate, work well with others and outgoing and really care about people then this is the job for you! I am personally very motivated and look for opportunity and this company has so many doors open if you want to advance your career. You have to show interest and really reach out to others as well as management to show them that you have interest and really want to grow within the company. The management team is fantastic.
Pros
Pay, benefits, management teams, job culture
Cons
Short breaks, coverage
nice company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kensington, MDMarch 19, 2016
I definitely think it is a good company and I am sure they are one of the best but I think team communication is lacking in some area with top managers, but over all nice place or company to work for.
Pros
great team
Cons
hard to move up
Wonderful Company
District Leader (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAMarch 17, 2016
I love working for Extra Space Storage. They really appreciate their employees. If you want to work somewhere that gives you the freedom to be you and grow within the company as well as an individual this is the place to be.
very stressful enviroment
Building maintenance (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 16, 2016
When your a regular employee in the storage business and you are dealing with customer property it can get very stressful in the storage business management only cares about buying the next building to increase their profits and the employee is ignored.
Pros
meet some nice people
Cons
storage business is boot camp year round in new york
Good environment to work.
SITE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 6, 2016
Good place to work, pay was not that great. What i was going to school for does not able to the position I had. I had to find another line of work.
Pros
good environment to work
Cons
Pay
Gives you Extra Space to grow your career
Director (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 3, 2016
I have really enjoyed working with Extra Space Storage.
Great environment and great opportunity for advancement.

Would recommend to anyone looking to get in a company that rewards hard work.
Pros
Opportunity to do your best every day.
Cons
Benefits could be better
Harassment Problems
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTFebruary 23, 2016
In the year or less that I worked for this company in CT, I went from having no problems at locations I worked at to being the black sheep being harassed by male management (who had formed a group friendship outside of work) on a daily basis. It started when one of the male managers began threatening me, yelling and blowing up at me over minor clerical errors that were easily fixed, and making me so nerved up I would cry and dread going to work every day. I kept track of his actions and behavior toward me, and filed a complaint with the district manager. Apparently my complaint never made it to HR. I became the floater, and was scheduled at different sites around Hartford, CT. The only locations where I encountered any kind of problem with the management were the ones run by the group of male manager friends. Anytime I worked at the women run location my work was appreciated and accepted as satisfactory without complaint. I was so glad to find a new job elsewhere when I did. If I hadn't I would have had a nervous breakdown, as I was well on my way to one.
Pros
The job offered benefits.
Cons
Completing work of an Assistant Property Manager without the title or the pay.
very busy workplace
storage consultant (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 25, 2016
storage consultant, front office duties, housekeeping and customer service. very busy work day, easiest part of the day is customer service
Supportive and fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CADecember 17, 2015
My experience with Extra Space was overall positive. The management is supportive and professional. They care about their employees and have no problem hiring from the inside.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.