Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews

Poor Management, cut throat, favoritism
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAAugust 14, 2017
Assistant Manager – Consistently practice effective customer service including solving escalated customer issues. Support sales and revenue growth, maintain appropriate financial goals, sufficient in running of the sales office, accurately accomplish all assigned duties in a timely matter. Demonstrated accurate administrative duties.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Bugs and Rodents
I wished I had joined ExtraSpace 10 years ago
DISTRICT TEAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 12, 2017
Great hours, great culture and amazing opportunities for career development. I have been in retail management for 10 years and I wish I would have joined Extra Space storage 10 years ago.
Pros
Set Hours. Workplace Culture. Management.
Cons
Texas heat
Changed over time
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2017
Worked for a little over 7yrs. I left because the company stopped caring for their employees. Great job for college kid. Entry level management for the experience.
Pros
Sundays off
Cons
Mandatory Saturday
This is a great place to work, fun filled environment with lots of potential to advance.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 3, 2017
I would recommend this place to work Its a great learning environment and there is a lot of room for advancement. Very friendly environment. They really want their employees to succeed and grow.
Pros
you learn alot in a short period of time co-workers are very helpful to the new employees
Cons
short breaks no over time allowed
Extra Space Storage
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAAugust 3, 2017
Property Managers are unappreciated and Upper Management are sneaky. If you dont follow the cult type guidelines, they will fire you, yet they will rehire past employees that have been fired for inappropriate behavior towards fellow employees.
Facility's Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 2, 2017
Company and Management put a value on employees work life balance. You have the chance to move up if you work hard. Good pay and a bonus schedule that is up to you and your efforts.
Fun place to work
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAAugust 1, 2017
Very nice upper management team. Very nice and supporting coworkers and staff. Outgoing and positive atsmopher. Great tools and training system in place to make being a professional successful
Great culture
Division Learning Manager (Current Employee) –  EastJuly 21, 2017
Great people to work with. Flexible hours (for my position). Benefits and salary have an area of opportunity. Would like to see more opportunity for advancement.
Laid back job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJuly 4, 2017
It is a cool play to work despite the minor issues from time to time, management could use a reality check or two but in retail business what manager is perfect. I would recommend the company to a close friend. My time there was well spent and fun.
Pros
Relaxed, minimal supervision
Cons
short breaks, and snow removal
Best job I've had.
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTJune 29, 2017
Extra Space Storage is the best place I've worked. The management is incredible along with everyone on the call floor. I don't feel like I'm coming to work everyday, because it's so relaxed.
Great culture, not so great pay.
Property Accountant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 20, 2017
Extra Space is a great place to work. The environment is very laid back, but the compensation is not great. It is a great entry-level job. I would recommend it to recent graduates, but not to someone who has a lot of experience.
this job was easy just stay busy
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAJune 19, 2017
this job was all about procedures, if you stayed on top of everything its smooth. keep cleaning and keep selling be patient with the customers, remember that these people are most likely in a dark time in their life
Pros
pay was good got to walk a alot and made some friends with some of the tenants
Cons
some of the managers think of you as a cleaning crew, and expect you to do what they havent done all month long
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 19, 2017
Excellent benefits, great culture and fast paced environment. The company really cares about its employees. There is a nice break room with drinks, opportunity to grow if you work hard and excellent atmosphere.
Pros
Great working enviroment
Very focused on having a good company culture.
Property Accountant (Current Employee) –  Cottonwood Heights, UTJune 18, 2017
I work in the accounting department. It has been a very good learning experience. They hire a lot of recent graduates and have a lot of turnover because the pay is not great. However, the hours are very flexible and the culture is very relaxed.
Support is at a minimum
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 18, 2017
I enjoy working for Extra Space. I like interacting with the customers and finding out their needs for storage and helping them find the appropriate sized unit for their needs. On the down side, there was a lot of cleaning and janitorial duties. They do move you around from facility to facility. You don't really have a home base. Training is at a minimum based on the trainers wanting to be promoted themselves and being in places other then visiting stores and helping with individual employee grow based on learning new skills.
Pros
Helping the customers, hearing about their need for storage, making the process as easy as possible.
Cons
Lack of support from upper management.
Great company to learn from.
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAJune 16, 2017
A typical day is helping the customer meet their storage needs and keeping the property clean, and making sure the store is doing well. Since working at Extra Space Storage I learned how to be even more patience with people and how to make sure when the customer walks out the door they had a great experience. Management is pretty good usually you see your DM once a month if that. The hardest part of the job is making sure your store is staying on top of the numbers.You are basically in control of the expenses on the property. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the customer walk out the door with a smile.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Hard to advance in the company.
Don't apply
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 10, 2017
There's no advancement, all you do is clean all day. If you want to be a janitor or maid this is the job for you. You get a 1/2 for lunch and you have to work through lunch with no breaks during the day. Managers do not work they sit in the office all day on cell phones while you clean units, units can get up to 110 degrees in the summer. You'll also have to clean parking lots, mop and wax floors, dump trash, weed property run the store, provide janitorial services .District Managers show no support. Don't Apply, no team work.
Pros
Health care is good, you'll need it at this job
Cons
You'll have to travel for miles to get to work
good place to work.
Property Accountant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 8, 2017
good place to work. excellent work experience for a new graduate, there is a high level of churn in the accounting department. company does support teaming building activities, and other extra curricular events but it feels like a ploy to avoid more competitive compensation.
Pros
free beverages
Lonely job most of the time.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAJune 5, 2017
Easy job. 70% of the time cleaning property, 20% face to face with clients and 10% on the phone. (Depending on the location you work and amount of traffic. As long as you are able to clean and maintain the property up to standard set by extra space, the job is very simple as units sell themselves.
Pros
Easy, small staff, job title
Cons
Insurance, pay, boaring, dirty hands on
manage the store
Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNJune 5, 2017
Priority is giving excellent customer service, customers rate us on Google for the service I provide for them, my rating Is 5.0 over all with that. Being the highest rate you can get List of duties are maintaining our own buildings, ordering product for the business, mentoring new
hires, work closely with building contractors and city council with compliances

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval