Extra Space Storage

Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews

E.S.S
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), OhioJune 30, 2015
I oversee a 6 site territory and I am responsible for sales, leasing, auctioning, eviction, collection calling and site maintenance.
Customer Service
Store Manager (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAJune 13, 2015
We pretty much do it all clean, lights, collection calls, rent units and sell merchandise. I have one assistance we both cover a 600 unit property.
Customer Service (Former Employee), 215 Gold Star Hwy, Groton, CTJune 12, 2015
Pros: Just a great place to work
Cons: The cold and snow when checking units
Getting ready for opening, checking for vacated units, renting units, cleaning units. Ordering supplies and more.
How to push myself to excell.
Management always willing to work with you to become better – more... at your job, plus help if they can when personal issues arise.
Co-workers are fun and energetic.
Saying Good-bye to the people I have helped and my boss.
Meeting new and interesting people from all walks of life. – less
Great Company but be prepared to WORK
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh,NCJune 4, 2015
Pros: Hours, Company morale, Bonuses
Cons: Slave labor, Mircro management, Pay
Extra Space as company is great! They're bonuses are decent, they're always giving away gift cards to their employees, corporate seems pretty down to earth and laid back. Just be prepared to be the maintenance man. Things a typical company would get a vendor to do they get their Managers/Assistant Managers to do. You'll definitely feel overworked and underpaid after a few months.
storage
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), central Valley, NYJune 4, 2015
Cons: hours, no holidays
very boring. Very rude customers. low pay. long hours. Not much room for advancement. Training is online classes and tests to run a storage company, mostly about cleaning. As a manger you are responsible for ALL building maintenance.
awesome workplace
assistant manager (Former Employee), sacramento caJune 1, 2015
manager is awesome, the easiest part of the job is the customers and working with the manager. I learned about entering customer inormation into the computer.
As a part time job, it was fun and enjoyable.
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMay 25, 2015
Pros: Management
Cons: Cleaning Units
Through my 10 years I became friend with each of my managers. We worked well together and had the same goals. Our customers enjoyed our professional handling and many would drop by just to talk.

The hardest part was meeting the storage rental goals. Storage is not something you can just sell. Customers must have a need for it.
Property Manager (Current Employee), Lexington Park, MDMay 14, 2015
Pretty good job, good benefits and pay. The only downside is you are required to work Saturdays. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Not just renting storage units and selling locks
Customer Service and Sales (Former Employee), North Lauderdale, FLMay 10, 2015
I learned to facilitate auctions, prepare quarterly reports, and developed strong sales and customer retention skills.
Easy to manage. No boss breathing down your neck, advancement was slow.
Manager (Former Employee), Auburn, ALMay 4, 2015
See resume. To explain how the flow of the job went. Enjoyed working with co workers, they were nice people. Very stress free job
Customer Service Oriented
Site Manager (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 3, 2015
Pros: Onsite housing
Cons: n/a
I worked hard to get this job initially because ESS is a National Corp. and the largest in the Industry. I knew they would provide additional stability and education in this field. They stress the value – more... of Customer Service, and teach us how to present ourselves to the customer from the moment a customer walks in the door.
I also like the "open door" policy, and the support system set in place for day to day issues that may arise. ESS encourages their Managers to share information with each other. There are contests and challenges between the Districts that motivate us to be fully charged and competitive.
The hard part about this job that I was not aware of is that there is no maintenance help at these facilities, meaning that the Manager is fully responsible for all maintenance repairs. This sometimes puts me on a ladder cleaning gutters or painting, while my office is unattended. At this facility, I have almost 730 roll-up garage doors that I'm expected to wash by hand.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the customer, and the success of my hard work when the facility grows in revenue and occupancy. – less
was awesome to live on site, but pay was nothing and there is no job security . when you lose your job you lose your house
Site Property Manager (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, coloradoApril 6, 2015
learned management. Learn to better multi task with being in charge of so many different aspects of the job . budgeting, finances
Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Round Lake, ILMarch 27, 2015
Best job i've ever had. Great people, great corporate structure, if i could go back I would. If only they come back to illinois.
Do Not Work Here
Store Manager (Former Employee), Palmdale, CAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Set work hours, Pay is decent
Cons: Management is terrible, extremely stressful enviroment, the company is progressively getting worse year by year
The almost 5 years I worked at this job were the worst 5 years of my life. Management is a joke, I watched District Managers who had been with the company for years get fired just so they could hire younger – more... and male District Managers. When I started working at this company it was not so bad, management stood behind their employees. They backed them, and they listened to their concerns. Before I quit, I was told by my District Manager that being verbally abused by my customers was part of my job. Im sorry but when I started that is not what I was told, as a matter of mact I was told the complete opposite. I understand upset customers, thats a part of the business, but the people I was dealing with were aggressive to the point where a couple times I feared for my life. This is something I explained to my District Manager, at which he told me, maybe I needed to look for a new job. Also expect to get blamed for anything that happpens on site if you live on site, and it doesn't matter if you were even on the property at the time, or even able to get to the property I suggest that if you are looking for a job, DO NOT work for this company. It has done nothing but continue to get worse and worse for the last 5 years, you will not regret passing up this job oportunity. – less
Nice variety of work to do
Site Manager (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAMarch 9, 2015
Pros: nice variety, higher than average pay, great job culture
Cons: n/a
Great company. Not your average self storage company. Treats employees extremely fair. Off every Sunday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, July 4th & New Years.
great place to work if all you care about is money and ask no questions
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 9, 2015
Pros: hourly wage, nice people
Cons: no leadership, no communication
Worked here for a short while and was terminated for reasons that made zero sense and am honestly still confused as to why I was let go. Was never given any direct leadership by management. Saw internal – more... employees passed up for qualified advancement in favor of new hires. Commissions were never what they were promised to be. the hourly pay is nice but not worth the politics or demands. Company talks about being transparent but in fact is quite the opposite. – less
Very pleasant place to work and incredible staff.
Property Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 4, 2015
Pros: interacting with many different people.
Cons: not a lot of time for personal life.
This was a great job for me. I was right on the property to handle any issues or concerns that may have arisen day or night. My travel time was excellent. I learned how to better manage my time from the – more... company. We had time management lessons. We had computer classes for Associates and Bachelor Degrees. My supervisors and co-workers were like a family. We all worked really well together. The hardest part of the job was not being able to interact socially with family as much as you would like and the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with great people both, customers as well as co-workers. – less
Interesting and diverse. Meet a variety of new people everyday.
On-Site Manager (Former Employee), New JerseyFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: no long drives to work, landscapers to mow lawn and plow snow
Cons: feel like you never leave work living onsite, some tenants lack your right to privacy when office is closed
Always something to do, you're never bored. Between rental calls, new tenants coming, upkeep of property, you can never say you had a slow day.
Individual site management is excellent, you develop a real – more... family/team enviroment between sites. Everyone from your site to other sites always willing to pitch in and help on projects or if unexpected personal emergency, someone is always there to help you at your site.
Hardest part, becoming familiar with tenants and understanding their circumstances, but still having to send them to auction. Living on-site the tenants that don't understand site closes at 10 pm, and will sit there and blow their horns all hours of the night to be let in for something as simple as a missed christmas ornament, that they just have to have right now.
Enjoyable, the variety of people you get to meet and asisst, whether its a simple just need to store for a month until house is finished, down to hurricane took my home, and this is what I have left can you help me, and seeing that look for relief on their faces getting them into a unit so they can just relax and move on to their next task, knowing that their items are secure. – less
helping customer with renting storage bins
Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee), Annapolis, MDJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: greet job atmosphere
Cons: getting lay off
Greeting customers giving tours taking reservations typing up customer contract taking reservations Help in picking the size they will need keeping storage bins that are not use collect payments
they will promise you opportunities with empty promises
Sales agent (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 27, 2015
they promised me promotion for over a year and never delivered.They then let me go because i was starting to call them out on it.

1 2 3 4 5

About Extra Space Storage

Extra Space Storage® Inc. (NYSE: EXR) is a real estate investment trust based in Salt Lake City, Utah with regional offices – Read more

Extra Space Storage Salaries