Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews

A great place to learn about the storage business.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2018
The training is very poor and you work independently more than with someone. There is very little coaching/guidance so the position requires independent learning and application of the many fascets of the role. Very little coaching or communication with anyone in authority. For me, that worked great. I am an independent learner (a former Corporate Trainer) so I found myself creating S.O.P manuals for new comers and building relationships throughout my district to help new employees prevent so many struggles learning the industry.
Pros
Learning your customers names and stories. You get close, quickly
Cons
You work alone 99.9% of the time.
This is the best call center you could work for!
Inbound sales and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTJanuary 10, 2018
If you are a people person, you would be perfect for this job! Great work refinement. Pay is good, plus no cap commotion. If you work hard, your box will deferentially
I loved it
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lompoc, CAJanuary 9, 2018
Great opportunities and culture. I felt like they truly cared about me, not only as an employee but also as a person. Fun, competitive work environment.
I would not recommend working for Extra Space to ANYONE!
Manager (Former Employee) –  West CoastJanuary 8, 2018
Management is horrible. There is no communication between District managers and store level employees. District managers do not answer calls, or return calls, and do not respond to emails.
There are favorites who never get in trouble for anything while other employees can do the same thing and get written up.
Yearly raises are a joke- .$25- $.40. They hardly ever promote from with in- they hire people from the outside and will pay them $2-$4 more than what they pay they few people that get promoted.
Cons
Excellent potential but does not pay fairly for responsibilities required
Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 8, 2018
Overall, working at Extra Space was a great experience. The people were very friendly and great to be around. The job was exciting when there were things to do, but a lot of the time it was slow-going, and you have to constantly strive to rent your storage spaces available and come up with ways to get customers to rent your units. One of the discouraging things about the position was the compensation. The pay didn't add up to the position or job requirements. They ask much of you, for less compensation, and pay increases were not easy to receive.
Pros
Relaxed environment, small business atmosphere under a corporate umbrella, bonuses and incentives
Cons
Compensation not equal to job responsibilities, extremely difficult for advancement and pay raises.
Great for a relaxed person with little desire to promote
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 2, 2018
For a relaxed individual this may be a great place to work. Management will say almost anything to get you in the door but the slide of hand starts to come into play after the 1st month out of training. Make sure you get something in writing stating they will give you what you asked for in the interview before excepting the jobs or you wont get what was promised. Management consistently thinks they are smarter than you and does not expect employees to read in between the lines, though most of us know what's going on before it occurs. accountability goes out of the window if district becomes short handed and so does the support. The pay does not match the job. As site management you will be expected to clean excessively, lay mulch, do landscaping (in order to save money on labor), collections, sales, and customer service all in one. Overall its not a bad temp job but I wouldn't make it a long term thing unless you are in college or just want to take a break from corporate America. It is the best storage place to work for but its still storage and the basic principles of storage management still exist here.
Pros
50% discounts on merch, 100% discount on one unit for store managers, on-site appartment
Cons
health plans are terrible and expensive, mangment is very cheap, the pay is almost the same as a drive through
good
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2018
good company and excellent opportunity for working in this company

and good project and good service for the employees and and good management and good Team Lead
Pros
sometimes
Cons
Customer oriented business must be able to communicate and handle disgruntled tenants
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXDecember 27, 2017
A typical day consist of cash drawer check,property inspection and maintenance throughout the day.Customer relation and communication is a key requirement to managing a store.Management vary district to district. The most difficult part of the job is maintaining property with a minimal budget.
Most enjoyable part of job is actual showing the property to prospective tenants,learning their needs and going through the leasing process.
Pros
Give you the access to many other businesses and services
Cons
limitations of your decision making and advancement in the company
stressfull
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CADecember 19, 2017
too much stress and hardship on you. they are too demanding require you to get soo many google reviews. they dont recognize the real hard workers. they make you adjust your time for them but when u do and let them know they fire you
Good Temp Job
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 16, 2017
This job does not offer fair wages. Store Manager is incompetent. Learned about customer service and management skills. Will recommend this job as a temporary job but a not long-term one.
Pros
non
Cons
non
Must be able to work independently
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCDecember 10, 2017
Typical day- review potential customer leads, do reports, manage property, rent units, clean units, sell packing supplies, convince customers that they need to insure contents of their units with customer protection plans (not selling, but sort of selling).
It is a great company with great employees. Most of the time you work alone though. Also you are responsible to call delinquent customers weekly which is sometimes emotionally difficult because you feel sorry for the customer who might be in a bad situation in their life. You really need to be empathetic in this role. Then, if they don't pay, you are responsible for holding a monthly auction where you auction off everything they have in the unit. Like the show Storage Wars.
Pros
Great company, training, and benefits
Cons
can be slow at times
N/a
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 4, 2017
Extra Space Storage is a good place to work. Friendly staff and opportunity is good. This is can be a difficult job at sometimes and requires you to multi task on a daily basis.
My option about extra space company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 4, 2017
absolutely loved working for this company just that the company got bought out by new owners and stood with the new company for 1 yr. and not close to what extra space offered for there employers
Very competative
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 29, 2017
It's not a bad place to work. Need super sales abilities and be driven to compete against co-workers. Realize you will be outside working in all weather. Often have to man the store by yourself and be expected to do manager's jobs.
Great place to work!
DISTRICT TRAINER (Current Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 27, 2017
Awesome place to work! The training programs are great. You work retail without the crazy hours. Good starting pay. Full time with full benefits. Promotion opportunities are endless if you work hard. Sometimes it gets stressful if you are alone and very busy during the busy season which is summer. It is half inside, half outside so it does get very hot and very cold during property cleaning/maintenance. I would definitely recommend this job to anybody that considers themselves a people person! It is sales so you have to be good with customers/customer service.
Pros
Pay, Hours, Benefits, Advancement Opportunities, Paid Holidays
Cons
Required Saturdays, Work in extreme weather
Great job
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 27, 2017
Loved the work and the people i worked with, the environment was great for people who want to expand their knowledge and move up in the company. Great company to work for.
Great for career advancement
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 21, 2017
I've had such an amazing experience at ESS for the 3 years that I've been here. I've had the opportunity to work in several different departments and work on several different projects. It's been great!
Balanced
Sales Associate, Asst. Mngr. and Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CANovember 21, 2017
The experience is that of a very balanced employment: time alone cleaning units, and time with customers renting units. Also, time spent physically active cleaning and sweeping and time seated in the office with computer and phone.
Pros
Variety of tasks and activities
Cons
short lunch period
Worst work experience of my life.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJNovember 21, 2017
I excelled at my work; my monthly rental delinquency was the lowest in my district, my site's occupancy consistently the highest.

I threw myself into every aspect of the job, learning a little about multiple constructive trades.

The hardest part of the job was managing a sustainable balance between meeting the needs of my renters and assuaging the concerns of an ever-lengthening chain of micro-managing senior officers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when I could finally retire for the evening, usually several hours after closing my office.
Pros
Health insurance.
Cons
No work/life balance, endless pressure to perform, extremely high stress, poor facility conditions.
Great company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLNovember 20, 2017
I would say if you are looking for a career advancement might take a while. But the company is great and so is the culture. They offer apartments and work/life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.