Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews

Workplace culture
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLOctober 10, 2017
The workplace culture is great. Life work balance is good. We work hard and pay is not great. management is fair however there it is quite a bit of responsibility for the pay rate.
Great place to work, still finding its way
Division Learning Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 7, 2017
The company in general is great and work life balance in terrific. They are still trying to ''define" their culture even after 40 yrs and some individuals in management seem to have only gotten their position because of tenure. Overall I would still say this is a great place to work
Pros
Work-Life Balance
Cons
Management decisions, still can't define who they are
Its a job, not a career.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  East coast, USAOctober 7, 2017
Its been 3 years. Upper management decisions are often not favorable to the greater financial good of the company, policy and procedure is neglected/weakly acknowledged often, store manager pay is equivalent to a wal-mart stocker, managers are frequently not held equally accountable for mistakes, the training on store financials/sales program software/ADA/emergency scenarios are not existant,/too rushed/inefficient, daily store ops are not fully standardized or enforced(if it works, go for it mentality), HR dept. does not communicate to facilities, there is no way to earn a permit/license/certification in rental insurance sales, and no extra employee compensation for selling insurance policies.
Pros
Low stress workplace.
Cons
Poor decisions in staffing and training.
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  East Northport, NYSeptember 24, 2017
I enjoy working here, very good atmosphere and the culture surrounding the company is welcoming and open. Would recommend to any one, especially is you have any experience in retail or property management.
One of the best
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALSeptember 18, 2017
One of the best companies I have ever worked for. I moved up very quickly and absolutely loved my job. Upper management was not perfect but overall, they did make sure that I had all I needed to succeed. If I could work for them again, I would. My only complaint is that I found out later that I was on the lower end of the hiring salary which is sad because I stayed on and worked harder than some of the ones who were hired at a higher salary.
Pros
Fun job.Good hard work
Cons
It was great in the early years, new management lacked industry experience
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 12, 2017
First few years were great. Great management, they gave you what you needed for your site, co workers were very helpful. Room for career advancement. The new management that came in lacked guidance and industry experience.
Pros
Slow paced, relaxed
Cons
customer centric, minimal supervision, team support
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 12, 2017
come in print duties for the day, day to day can change while other duties are consistent,
I learned how to do deposits and face to face customer contact, customer centric and building rapport and keeping those business relationships,
The workplace culture encourages reaching out to co-workers in time of need very positive goal oriented, minimal supervision, bank deposits made every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. collection calls. Certain tasks need to be done in tamely manner or if an incident occurs police report may be necessary and including downloading video as evidence. They encourage us to do our job and do it well with support from management while having fun at the same time
Pros
Pto, trust from management
Cons
work every weekend and hours till 6pm
Very oppressive management, horrible work environment
Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMAugust 31, 2017
Corporate pressure is intense, continually pounding you with policy changes. District manager had favorite employees and these were the worst workers of the entire staff
Pros
Living onsite
Cons
corporate culture was toxic
Excellent
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 30, 2017
Extra Space Storage is a large company with a small company feel. The company continues to provide weekly and monthly training. You are rewarded for hard work and integrity, the team atmosphere is amazing. I really love coming to work each and everyday.
Pros
Career development and advancement
Cons
The medical benefits are good but there is a lot of out of pocket expenses
Keeps you on your toes
Assistant Property Manger (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 30, 2017
Customer Service challenging, You will learn all opportunities for not only situations with dealing with the public but also vendors as also. You will learn that everyone is a customer not only the public but also coworkers, corp, employees, and vendors. Customer is high priority being Customer eccentric.
Pros
meeting new interesting people
Cons
short breaks and no overtime
Fun and active
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 25, 2017
The quality of this job and your enjoyment depends entirely on your upper management. If you are blessed with a good District Manager, you will enjoy your job and have an opportunity to move up. If you have a bad District Manager, your time will be significantly worse.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 21, 2017
Excellent place to work and have great opportunity for growth. Rewarded for your hard work and production. Flexible schedules and wonderful team of coworkers that are there if you ever need them
Pros
Opportunity for growth
Cons
Not much help at the facility
Poor Management, cut throat, favoritism
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAAugust 14, 2017
Assistant Manager – Consistently practice effective customer service including solving escalated customer issues. Support sales and revenue growth, maintain appropriate financial goals, sufficient in running of the sales office, accurately accomplish all assigned duties in a timely matter. Demonstrated accurate administrative duties.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Bugs and Rodents
I wished I had joined ExtraSpace 10 years ago
DISTRICT TEAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 12, 2017
Great hours, great culture and amazing opportunities for career development. I have been in retail management for 10 years and I wish I would have joined Extra Space storage 10 years ago.
Pros
Set Hours. Workplace Culture. Management.
Cons
Texas heat
Changed over time
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2017
Worked for a little over 7yrs. I left because the company stopped caring for their employees. Great job for college kid. Entry level management for the experience.
Pros
Sundays off
Cons
Mandatory Saturday
This is a great place to work, fun filled environment with lots of potential to advance.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 3, 2017
I would recommend this place to work Its a great learning environment and there is a lot of room for advancement. Very friendly environment. They really want their employees to succeed and grow.
Pros
you learn alot in a short period of time co-workers are very helpful to the new employees
Cons
short breaks no over time allowed
Extra Space Storage
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAAugust 3, 2017
Property Managers are unappreciated and Upper Management are sneaky. If you dont follow the cult type guidelines, they will fire you, yet they will rehire past employees that have been fired for inappropriate behavior towards fellow employees.
Facility's Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 2, 2017
Company and Management put a value on employees work life balance. You have the chance to move up if you work hard. Good pay and a bonus schedule that is up to you and your efforts.
Fun place to work
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAAugust 1, 2017
Very nice upper management team. Very nice and supporting coworkers and staff. Outgoing and positive atsmopher. Great tools and training system in place to make being a professional successful
Great culture
Division Learning Manager (Current Employee) –  EastJuly 21, 2017
Great people to work with. Flexible hours (for my position). Benefits and salary have an area of opportunity. Would like to see more opportunity for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.