Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews in United States

ok place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 22, 2016
ESS isn't a bad company to work for. As far as schedule's it pretty good for retail. No working late night, however everyone at the store level works weekends. Customer's can be horrible but nothing that can't be tolerated. Upper management are really starting to push sales goals and putting out list of the best and the worst sellers that everyone can see. Starting to feel like a number. Pay isn't horrible but it could be better. Employees wear a lot of different hats at this job. We clean(bathrooms,units,property) , rent storage, paint, handle deposits, drive sales. Overall I would recommend the job to someone in a typical retail job that is looking for advancement,
Pros
good hours for retail, pay is decent, some propertys have free apartments
Cons
short breaks, short staffed often
Bad pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, MDAugust 16, 2016
The pay was horrible and the hours did not allow you to have a work life balance. Found myself in several life threatening situations.
Loved my job. Wonderful rapport with vendors and customers
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 15, 2016
They have so many changes in the District Managers, with no communication amongst each other, then they blame the managers with their incompetence. I was let go making a site that was going to be shut down into a 97.4% occupancy from a 47% rating. with 152 great google reviews. If the new district manager does not like you, watch your back
enjoyable place to work
Storage Representative (Former Employee) –  Saugerties, NYAugust 14, 2016
Normal office work,helping customers fine right unit for their needs,
Cleaning units,billing collections calls,selling boxes ,locks.
Pros
good people to work for
Low Wages, No Security, No Advancement
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2016
Stores are grouped into districts with a manager overseeing up to 20 stores. Once you hit Store Manager you cannot advance unless you're in the back pocket of the District Manager and the Division Learning Manager. Assistants are hard to come by, retention is very low. Most Store Managers who work their tail off get nothing for their efforts. On the spot rewaed cards are taxed. We get paid way under the poverty level. If you are a single assistant manager you will not make a living wage. Customers are either fantastic or lying and worthless. We do not get paid enough for what we put up with.
Pros
Live on site
Cons
Live on site, job never ends, low wages, no help and no advancement.
Definitely not a career
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 27, 2016
I started at Extra Space as an Assistant manager and acclimated quickly and was soon given a promotion to site manager. You do have the ability to manage your time when it comes to admin tasks.

Constantly being shopped by undercover spies feigning being customers is a ridiculous practice at ESS.

The compensation is not acceptable. High health Insurance costs.

There is no upward mobility past site manager unless you enjoy constant travel and living in hotels.
Pros
Time management
Cons
Pay
A challenging atmosphere, with great need for superior customer service, and i loved it
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALJuly 21, 2016
Extra Space storage was indeed always challenging. However, i enjoyed and embraced every part of it. I dealt with many different personalities, but i enjoyed utilizing my exceptional interactive, managerial skills to bring about total satisfaction to customers.
Pros
Greater laverage to trouble shoot and rectify situation as an assistant manger.
Cons
No room for over time. No access to increase work hours.
fun company to work for
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Marshalls Creek, PAJuly 13, 2016
selling units to customers who needed space in their home, or who were moving into a new home, or needed space in their office
Great company iffy management
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Stafford, VAJuly 9, 2016
Would recommend, not in love with the business great place to work to get out of retail. Work load is not much but lots of outside work that vendors charge too much for, so you'll end up doing those projects
Extra Space Storage is a Hidden Gem
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 7, 2016
Great work life balance, growing company. However, you manage your own career, benefits and compensation are below other competitors in my opinion.
Pros
Great work life balance, growing company
Cons
You manage your own career, benefits and compensation are below other competitors in my opinion
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Eatontown, NJJuly 7, 2016
Great place to work, management cares for employees. There is a culture second to none for employees. Always a lot of opportunities to grow within the company.
Pros
incentives, recognition, great benefit package
Cons
huge company sometimes forgets the bottom people
A great place to work
Property Accountant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 1, 2016
I enjoyed working at Extra Space. Ultimately left for a more interesting / exciting role than the one I had, but thought that the culture was great and management knew what they were doing.
The Gym
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAJune 30, 2016
La fitness is fun environment. This is a place where you see the same people and meet new faces everyday. It is a great place to work and can always be motivated to look and feel your best,
Fun, different every day, goal driven
Self Storage Store Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaJune 28, 2016
If you have passion, goal driven, willing to be motivated this job is great. I never knew what all was detailed in the storage industry. Over the last 3 years I have grown very fond of my job. The management is very supportive and they not only care for their guests but their staff also. I have no complaints about this company. You can grow quickly with ESS with support from your leadership team.
Pros
Leadership, Pay, benefits, PTO, incentives
Cons
Non
Very Family Oriented
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dumfries, VAJune 1, 2016
Family & work balance is the number one reason this company is great to work for. Benefits and pay are a close runner up of the pros of working for Extra Space Storage.
Dishonest & Negative
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMay 18, 2016
This was a good company a year and a half ago, but has steadily gotten worse. I was lied to and lied about by my district manager.

I worked harder for this company than any other. You will work in the heat until you feel sick. No one will notice.

They are firing good employees or making them so unhappy they are forced to resign.

They have pressured members of leadership and employees (especially new employees) to submit glassdoor reviews to make the company seem more caring than it is. Don't fall for it.
Pros
Not a bad industry.
Cons
Dishonest district managers with poor leadership skills
Good experience
Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Taylors, SCMay 15, 2016
There was a lot more to this job than I expected when I applied. I learned a lot about my customer service experience - which will help me in other service based jobs, as well as the industry and general competitiveness.

Management was great. The company is involved with its people and wants to do the right thing on their behalf.

The environment could be stressful due to the stress level of the clientele - depending on why they are needing storage (i.e., going through a divorce, storing items after a family members' death, etc).

Overall, it was a great experience and the money was good. There were incentives to earn more money on top of base pay too..
Pros
Incentives
Cons
30 minute lunch, working in the heat
Dreary, dull workday.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 9, 2016
Management only cares about numbers and not the individual. Do not pay based on experience or education. I'm a college graduate with 5 years management experience and my district manager hired a girl right out of high school and paid her a dollar more than I.
Pros
Easy work week.
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, dont care about the employee.
Not a good job to have
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 26, 2016
turnover is high, pay is low, job is dirty, and customers are rarely happy. most customers are going through bad times and they like taking it out on anyone they can. you are not respected and viewed by most customers as less than dirt. if you are looking at living on site you will be paid even less, and you will be caught in a never ending "how do i get out of this job."
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
the job itself
very nice place to work gets busy during storage season
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2016
a good place to work with benefits 401k plan if your looking for a desk job with a little outside work this is a home for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.