Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews

ok place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 22, 2016
ESS isn't a bad company to work for. As far as schedule's it pretty good for retail. No working late night, however everyone at the store level works weekends. Customer's can be horrible but nothing that can't be tolerated. Upper management are really starting to push sales goals and putting out list of the best and the worst sellers that everyone can see. Starting to feel like a number. Pay isn't horrible but it could be better. Employees wear a lot of different hats at this job. We clean(bathrooms,units,property) , rent storage, paint, handle deposits, drive sales. Overall I would recommend the job to someone in a typical retail job that is looking for advancement,
Pros
good hours for retail, pay is decent, some propertys have free apartments
Cons
short breaks, short staffed often
Definitely not a career
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 27, 2016
I started at Extra Space as an Assistant manager and acclimated quickly and was soon given a promotion to site manager. You do have the ability to manage your time when it comes to admin tasks.

Constantly being shopped by undercover spies feigning being customers is a ridiculous practice at ESS.

The compensation is not acceptable. High health Insurance costs.

There is no upward mobility past site manager unless you enjoy constant travel and living in hotels.
Pros
Time management
Cons
Pay
Its a great company to work for, all team players and very professional
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMDecember 13, 2016
I really loved working for this company. All employees were very helpful and gray to work with. They made sure family was always first. Worked with me to excel in every way possible. Which was in and out of the workplace. I will forever miss and love the job and all of my coworkers. Upper management was very great.
Pros
All employees team players and willing to help in anyway possible. Paid time off, great benefits
Loved the company
On-site Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Euless, TXDecember 20, 2016
I loved working for Extra Space Storage. There is definitely room for growth within this company. The one down side is that there are only locations in major cities, and nothing in between. The Target or storage, compared to Public Storage, which would be the Walmart. Excellent training in the Amer district, and generous company.
Pros
on-site properties
Cons
locations only in large towns, benefits, corporate management.
Nepotism and retaliation - HR no help
manager (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CASeptember 3, 2016
They say they promote from within. Thats' a lie , Go to hr you are black listed, In 6 years total raises 2.00.No personal life, no advancement , Unfair treatment of employees

Typical day. More work than 2 people can do but you have no help, Told you need to let the customer vent ( stand there while you are verbally abused and threatened, ) Belittle and undermine employees to customers (who are only following their procedures,)
Pros
its a job
Cons
Poor treatment, no advancement. Personal safety at risk
The best job that I have ever had
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 21, 2016
I've worked for Extra Space for about 9 months now as an assistant manager and it is has been great. The job is nothing less than a constant learning experience. If you're motivated and passionate, work well with others and outgoing and really care about people then this is the job for you! I am personally very motivated and look for opportunity and this company has so many doors open if you want to advance your career. You have to show interest and really reach out to others as well as management to show them that you have interest and really want to grow within the company. The management team is fantastic.
Pros
Pay, benefits, management teams, job culture
Cons
Short breaks, coverage
Just not Enough
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 14, 2016
I worked here for over 5 years. I was mistreated by the DM, and you could never do enough, I was lied to about raises and promotions, and eventually accused of something I did not do. This is a job full of hard work low pay and no appreciation. Consider another company to work for!
Pros
No Pros
Cons
To many to tell
OK place to get experience
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 4, 2016
Typical corporate 9-5 work
You can get some great experience here and then move on to better paying positions elsewhere
Growth-oriented company
Not micromanaged
Pros
Great co-workers, location, stable company
Cons
Expensive benefits, below-market salaries, promotional opportunities are rare, lots of turnover
Challenging Environment
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Pay and incentives are good, some flexibility if time off needed. Caters more to younger and less experienced workers, possibly to hire them with less pay.
Pros
Bonus pay, benefits
Cons
Lack of support from management, physical demands are sometimes out of line with support given
Very good company to work for
Self-Storage Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLNovember 10, 2016
I learned about their competition between properties is very friendly but competitive. They insist on sales of insurance to all clients as they are self insured. Typical day is selling self storage, taking payments, contacting those in arrears, contacting those looking for storage, cleaning the property inside and out, confirming locks and move outs, walk through at least once a week.

My manager was very understanding and friendly. Hardest part was not being able to re-interview in time to be hired when the property was sold back to an investor of theirs.

Most enjoyable part was interacting with the clients on both the telephone and in person.
Pros
Large corporation with a lot of opportunities if you are willing to move
Cons
Evaluations not always for one year.
Extra Space Storage is a good company with not a great deal of growing potential for employees.
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 31, 2016
This position is demanding for a facility of this caliber. I have found myself running the property alone due to Assistant Managers being hard to come by and hard to retain. Customer service is the main priority and working with a diversified group of people is definitely a required quality. The job is physically demanding entailing a great deal of cleaning and polishing. Upper Management is known to be hands on and they make an appearance about 2 times a year. The semi-annual meetings are a great learning tool and a great motivator.
Pros
Live on site opportunities, healthcare, dental & vision plans, 401k, monthly bonuses
Cons
Annual reviews with very small annual income raises
Extra Space Storage is a Hidden Gem
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 7, 2016
Great work life balance, growing company. However, you manage your own career, benefits and compensation are below other competitors in my opinion.
Pros
Great work life balance, growing company
Cons
You manage your own career, benefits and compensation are below other competitors in my opinion
Was once good company but new management has changed company.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 7, 2016
Poor paying job with good benefits. You run the day-to-day operations of your site. Great customers and an easy job. Management has become overbearing, sales driven and do not care about what is good for customers or their employees. High turnover and management is slow to hire so you work short-handed most of the time.
They push you to move foward
Property Manger (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 29, 2016
This company has some good benefit options, they reward for going above and beyond. They work with you to achieve your professional goals.(If you want to promote they will help you find that path. If you want to stay at the level your at, they will help you be the best you can be in that position.)
Pros
performance bonus, paid uniform, gift cards
Cons
You work a lot of Saturdays, don't get off until 6 most days. There are not many overtime opportunities, You are not eligible for the 401k until after your 1st yea.
Great learning opportunity and work life balance
Property Accountant (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTNovember 20, 2016
Extra Space Storage prides itself in it's wonderful culture and life/work balance. Hours can be very flexible depending on your schedule and quantity of work. Employees are very willing to help others especially on-boarding workers on their everyday tasks. There are always group/department/company activities that help build strong relationships among employees. There is a lot of opportunity for growth as the company expands, but many feel that the amount of work does not compensate for the pay.
Good experience
Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Taylors, SCMay 15, 2016
There was a lot more to this job than I expected when I applied. I learned a lot about my customer service experience - which will help me in other service based jobs, as well as the industry and general competitiveness.

Management was great. The company is involved with its people and wants to do the right thing on their behalf.

The environment could be stressful due to the stress level of the clientele - depending on why they are needing storage (i.e., going through a divorce, storing items after a family members' death, etc).

Overall, it was a great experience and the money was good. There were incentives to earn more money on top of base pay too..
Pros
Incentives
Cons
30 minute lunch, working in the heat
Fun, different every day, goal driven
Self Storage Store Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaJune 28, 2016
If you have passion, goal driven, willing to be motivated this job is great. I never knew what all was detailed in the storage industry. Over the last 3 years I have grown very fond of my job. The management is very supportive and they not only care for their guests but their staff also. I have no complaints about this company. You can grow quickly with ESS with support from your leadership team.
Pros
Leadership, Pay, benefits, PTO, incentives
Cons
Non
Great Company Culture
District Trainer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2016
Great company culture, lots of training tools, opportunity for advancement but must be willing to relocate. Relocation could possibly be out of state.
Asked to lie for a company that lacks integrity
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeApril 8, 2016
Worst company that I've worked for. Completely lacking in integrity. No room for advancement for people of color or women. You are at the mercy of your DM and DVP. Responsibilities and policies change on a whim. They low ball employees in regard to salary. Took months to correct a simple payroll issue. They gauge tenants and leave site employees to bear the brunt of their greed. Force employees to sell insurance, which is illegal if you are not licensed and the company owns the insurance company so they get a kick back for every policy sold. You are always on-call without being compensated which is illegal for non-exempt employees. A third of my paycheck went to pay for basic health benefits.Horrible experience.
Pros
Non
Cons
Company completely lacks integrity
Low Wages, No Security, No Advancement
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2016
Stores are grouped into districts with a manager overseeing up to 20 stores. Once you hit Store Manager you cannot advance unless you're in the back pocket of the District Manager and the Division Learning Manager. Assistants are hard to come by, retention is very low. Most Store Managers who work their tail off get nothing for their efforts. On the spot rewaed cards are taxed. We get paid way under the poverty level. If you are a single assistant manager you will not make a living wage. Customers are either fantastic or lying and worthless. We do not get paid enough for what we put up with.
Pros
Live on site
Cons
Live on site, job never ends, low wages, no help and no advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.