Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews

Extra Space Storage is a good company with not a great deal of growing potential for employees.
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 31, 2016
This position is demanding for a facility of this caliber. I have found myself running the property alone due to Assistant Managers being hard to come by and hard to retain. Customer service is the main priority and working with a diversified group of people is definitely a required quality. The job is physically demanding entailing a great deal of cleaning and polishing. Upper Management is known to be hands on and they make an appearance about 2 times a year. The semi-annual meetings are a great learning tool and a great motivator.
Pros
Live on site opportunities, healthcare, dental & vision plans, 401k, monthly bonuses
Cons
Annual reviews with very small annual income raises
The best job that I have ever had
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 21, 2016
I've worked for Extra Space for about 9 months now as an assistant manager and it is has been great. The job is nothing less than a constant learning experience. If you're motivated and passionate, work well with others and outgoing and really care about people then this is the job for you! I am personally very motivated and look for opportunity and this company has so many doors open if you want to advance your career. You have to show interest and really reach out to others as well as management to show them that you have interest and really want to grow within the company. The management team is fantastic.
Pros
Pay, benefits, management teams, job culture
Cons
Short breaks, coverage
Harassment Problems
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTFebruary 23, 2016
In the year or less that I worked for this company in CT, I went from having no problems at locations I worked at to being the black sheep being harassed by male management (who had formed a group friendship outside of work) on a daily basis. It started when one of the male managers began threatening me, yelling and blowing up at me over minor clerical errors that were easily fixed, and making me so nerved up I would cry and dread going to work every day. I kept track of his actions and behavior toward me, and filed a complaint with the district manager. Apparently my complaint never made it to HR. I became the floater, and was scheduled at different sites around Hartford, CT. The only locations where I encountered any kind of problem with the management were the ones run by the group of male manager friends. Anytime I worked at the women run location my work was appreciated and accepted as satisfactory without complaint. I was so glad to find a new job elsewhere when I did. If I hadn't I would have had a nervous breakdown, as I was well on my way to one.
Pros
The job offered benefits.
Cons
Completing work of an Assistant Property Manager without the title or the pay.
Gives you Extra Space to grow your career
Director (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 3, 2016
I have really enjoyed working with Extra Space Storage.
Great environment and great opportunity for advancement.

Would recommend to anyone looking to get in a company that rewards hard work.
Pros
Opportunity to do your best every day.
Cons
Benefits could be better
ok place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 22, 2016
ESS isn't a bad company to work for. As far as schedule's it pretty good for retail. No working late night, however everyone at the store level works weekends. Customer's can be horrible but nothing that can't be tolerated. Upper management are really starting to push sales goals and putting out list of the best and the worst sellers that everyone can see. Starting to feel like a number. Pay isn't horrible but it could be better. Employees wear a lot of different hats at this job. We clean(bathrooms,units,property) , rent storage, paint, handle deposits, drive sales. Overall I would recommend the job to someone in a typical retail job that is looking for advancement,
Pros
good hours for retail, pay is decent, some propertys have free apartments
Cons
short breaks, short staffed often
Low Wages, No Security, No Advancement
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2016
Stores are grouped into districts with a manager overseeing up to 20 stores. Once you hit Store Manager you cannot advance unless you're in the back pocket of the District Manager and the Division Learning Manager. Assistants are hard to come by, retention is very low. Most Store Managers who work their tail off get nothing for their efforts. On the spot rewaed cards are taxed. We get paid way under the poverty level. If you are a single assistant manager you will not make a living wage. Customers are either fantastic or lying and worthless. We do not get paid enough for what we put up with.
Pros
Live on site
Cons
Live on site, job never ends, low wages, no help and no advancement.
Good experience
Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Taylors, SCMay 15, 2016
There was a lot more to this job than I expected when I applied. I learned a lot about my customer service experience - which will help me in other service based jobs, as well as the industry and general competitiveness.

Management was great. The company is involved with its people and wants to do the right thing on their behalf.

The environment could be stressful due to the stress level of the clientele - depending on why they are needing storage (i.e., going through a divorce, storing items after a family members' death, etc).

Overall, it was a great experience and the money was good. There were incentives to earn more money on top of base pay too..
Pros
Incentives
Cons
30 minute lunch, working in the heat
Nepotism and retaliation - HR no help
manager (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CASeptember 3, 2016
They say they promote from within. Thats' a lie , Go to hr you are black listed, In 6 years total raises 2.00.No personal life, no advancement , Unfair treatment of employees

Typical day. More work than 2 people can do but you have no help, Told you need to let the customer vent ( stand there while you are verbally abused and threatened, ) Belittle and undermine employees to customers (who are only following their procedures,)
Pros
its a job
Cons
Poor treatment, no advancement. Personal safety at risk
Definitely not a career
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 27, 2016
I started at Extra Space as an Assistant manager and acclimated quickly and was soon given a promotion to site manager. You do have the ability to manage your time when it comes to admin tasks.

Constantly being shopped by undercover spies feigning being customers is a ridiculous practice at ESS.

The compensation is not acceptable. High health Insurance costs.

There is no upward mobility past site manager unless you enjoy constant travel and living in hotels.
Pros
Time management
Cons
Pay
A challenging atmosphere, with great need for superior customer service, and i loved it
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALJuly 21, 2016
Extra Space storage was indeed always challenging. However, i enjoyed and embraced every part of it. I dealt with many different personalities, but i enjoyed utilizing my exceptional interactive, managerial skills to bring about total satisfaction to customers.
Pros
Greater laverage to trouble shoot and rectify situation as an assistant manger.
Cons
No room for over time. No access to increase work hours.
Dishonest & Negative
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMay 18, 2016
This was a good company a year and a half ago, but has steadily gotten worse. I was lied to and lied about by my district manager.

I worked harder for this company than any other. You will work in the heat until you feel sick. No one will notice.

They are firing good employees or making them so unhappy they are forced to resign.

They have pressured members of leadership and employees (especially new employees) to submit glassdoor reviews to make the company seem more caring than it is. Don't fall for it.
Pros
Not a bad industry.
Cons
Dishonest district managers with poor leadership skills
Asked to lie for a company that lacks integrity
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeApril 8, 2016
Worst company that I've worked for. Completely lacking in integrity. No room for advancement for people of color or women. You are at the mercy of your DM and DVP. Responsibilities and policies change on a whim. They low ball employees in regard to salary. Took months to correct a simple payroll issue. They gauge tenants and leave site employees to bear the brunt of their greed. Force employees to sell insurance, which is illegal if you are not licensed and the company owns the insurance company so they get a kick back for every policy sold. You are always on-call without being compensated which is illegal for non-exempt employees. A third of my paycheck went to pay for basic health benefits.Horrible experience.
Pros
Non
Cons
Company completely lacks integrity
Fun, different every day, goal driven
Self Storage Store Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaJune 28, 2016
If you have passion, goal driven, willing to be motivated this job is great. I never knew what all was detailed in the storage industry. Over the last 3 years I have grown very fond of my job. The management is very supportive and they not only care for their guests but their staff also. I have no complaints about this company. You can grow quickly with ESS with support from your leadership team.
Pros
Leadership, Pay, benefits, PTO, incentives
Cons
Non
Fun work place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Township of Howell, NJAugust 31, 2016
I have trained a lot of employes who have learned a lot of me. Doing auctions once a month. Making sure all the auction paper work is in order. making collections called to tenants who are past due on there bill. answering emails. making a monthly work schedule. ordering supplies. making bank runs for out deposits, counting the cash draw every night.
Pros
off on Sundays
Cons
health care is expensive, must work Saturday's
Loved my job. Wonderful rapport with vendors and customers
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 15, 2016
They have so many changes in the District Managers, with no communication amongst each other, then they blame the managers with their incompetence. I was let go making a site that was going to be shut down into a 97.4% occupancy from a 47% rating. with 152 great google reviews. If the new district manager does not like you, watch your back
Was once good company but new management has changed company.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 7, 2016
Poor paying job with good benefits. You run the day-to-day operations of your site. Great customers and an easy job. Management has become overbearing, sales driven and do not care about what is good for customers or their employees. High turnover and management is slow to hire so you work short-handed most of the time.
Great Place to work,WILL Be put to work alone with no help for 3-4 months
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 11, 2016
a typical day was very stressful considering the fact that I only have been working for the company for only 3 months before they force to run a whole property by myself. Not saying i'm not up for the challenge but to see the person struggle to manage the property when you can give them help by having some one work with them so all the pressure is not put on one person to do it all.
Pros
pay is good, good work environment
Cons
work alone, no team help, days are slow, no customers, bad DM's, bias, one mistake your gone, horrible training, self work
Half Maintenance, Half Sales/Customer Service
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2016
This job is half customer service and half building maintenance. You spend a good third of your day following up on leads and communicating with current tenants. The other two thirds is spent cleaning the property and helping customers in many different ways.
Pros
Regular 40 hour work weeks
Cons
This is customer service
Great Place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 15, 2015
Great place to work, I would recommend to anyone. Management is wonderful and I only left for a different opportunity. Pay is competitive and benefits are great.
Extra Space Storage is a Hidden Gem
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 7, 2016
Great work life balance, growing company. However, you manage your own career, benefits and compensation are below other competitors in my opinion.
Pros
Great work life balance, growing company
Cons
You manage your own career, benefits and compensation are below other competitors in my opinion