Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews in United States

Terrible
Property Manager /Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLDecember 4, 2015
Was in a site manger prosition at extra space storage. Very little of any support from distric manager and home office. Not a great place to work at
Property management (storage)
District Team Lead (Current Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 12, 2015
This company started out great but has changed hands (management) and has gone downhill since. This company is getting too big while treating their employees like numbers instead of real people. This company says it is family oriented but when advancement opportunities arise, they promote the single people not the married/family people.
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
Lack of strict communication between management and senior management on policy and procedures
Love the Customers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  AtlantaOctober 8, 2015
Pro's:

Good Training Program
Monthly Bonus (depends on sales)
Build good relationships with customers

Cons:

Overbearing upper management
Work life balance not so good
Assistants do allot of the work
Limited Growth opportunity, good transition Job

Biggest Con by Far: Tons of gossip between stores, it kills morale.
Good place to learn and a good environment
Property Accountant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 20, 2015
This is a great place to work, and a great place to learn. There are great people that work here, and it is a great stepping stone for other bigger accounting jobs.
Pros
Free drinks, flexible schedule
Cons
can be tedious work sometimes
Good
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MaSeptember 16, 2015
Great company; a lot of room to grow within company as well. Nothing negative to say it was a great opportunity while I was employed.
Great Place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 15, 2015
Great place to work, I would recommend to anyone. Management is wonderful and I only left for a different opportunity. Pay is competitive and benefits are great.
Great and friendly place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 3, 2015
This is a great company to work for, the only downer is that you have split days off. Other than that it has great benefits and pay.
Eh
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2015
I worked for this company for 6 years. It was great up until a little over a year ago when district managers changed. Favoritism and getting the ones that have been there the longest out. The way they treat their employees is awful. Direct managers and everyone on store level was great but management was a complete joke. You go to HR and nothing gets done. I worked hard for the low wage I got and they were wanting to cut my pay saying i made too much and at the same time they are hiring people at what I was currently making. Such a slap in the face. Would not recommend working here.
Pros
Good managers
Cons
Shot breaks, low wages, bonus are a joke unless you are a manager
Amazing company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CaliforniaAugust 25, 2015
I enjoyed my time at extra space storage. My fellow coworkers, Dm etc. Fast pace environment. I would still work for the company if they had locations in Maine.
Great Place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorktown Heights, NYAugust 21, 2015
very good place to work for. The staff is wonderful and made the customers very comfortable in the work environment. Will recommend this place for anyones storage needs
Horrible management
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino CAAugust 14, 2015
Worst company I've ever worked for. Management only cares about making quotas. They will work you into the ground and make you work alone in the ghetto. Healthcare is expensive and lousy.
Pros
Cons
Management, healthcare
Fun working enviroment, with upper management support
Assistant Store Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 12, 2015
Working for Extra Space Store was a pleasant experience. I thoroughly appreciated the extensive training My district manager was extremely helpful to create a fun working environment and our district mtgs were always a fun learning experience. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
clean working enviroment, excellent training
Cons
Insurance payments were very high, Only met corporate once a yr
Great workplace!!!
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 9, 2015
Great workplace. Great compensation and benefits. If you like helping people and being rewarded for your efforts ESS is a place you should apply.
nice place to work just bad location
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  burke vaJuly 29, 2015
over all good been a great ride. been trying to get south for some time . just not happening with this co. too bad love the work and co just nothing for us to the south that would work.the store down south do not pay as much and do not have apts
Always Something To Do
On-Site Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 22, 2015
Great company, you can never be bored. There is always something to do. You open in the morning, spruce up the property for the day and get ready for customers to come in and rent or pay for their unit. There is always something to do, paint things on the property, clean units, mop and wax halls, or clean doors. You might get help, you might not.
Pros
Bonuses
Extra Space Storage
District Team Lead (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 16, 2015
The start of the day would be considered the opening where the site is opened and calls to opportunities are made. The company is in the business of storage from storing items in units outside, inside, climate control and also parking spots.
Pros
Set open and close hours. Staying late does not usually apply unless there is a late customer.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TxJuly 16, 2015
There are definitely good perks when working for this company. I personally believe that they could compensate a lot better. Considering the fact that 1 or 2 people is doing the job of like 6 people. The main thing that I hate is working almost every Saturday. When having children that is definitely a conflict.
Extra Space Gives You More
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDJuly 14, 2015
working here teaches you the ins and outs of property management and the processes that storage goes through, allowing you to talk to several people daily
Pros
fun work environment, great locations
Cons
n/a
Great Learning experience
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 13, 2015
High level of training. Collection calls, and lease signing. Constant communication with tenants. Learn how to work on basic maintenance of property.
Pros
great schedule
Must be self driven
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sugar Hill, GAJuly 7, 2015
ESS combines retail environment with facility management. Although company emphasis is mostly on selling, actual job requires great detail of maintenance knowledge.
Pros
Self initiated work environment
Cons
Minimal training and resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.