Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews

Managed Storage facility. District Trainer
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJFebruary 4, 2017
Self management. Learned to keep continuous (Written) doings in the location. Make sure to try to rent to ALL potential customers. Workplace culture is what you make of it. Do it accordingly. Hardest part of job is self maintenance. Most enjoyable part of job is working with trusted employees and customers.
Don't work here.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 31, 2017
Umm . I didn't have a great experience there. The management was trouble and extra space wants you to lie to there customer. I was planning to stay with the company and move out of town but my Distant Manager stop me from moving up with the company. I wouldn't recommended anybody that in Memphis to work for this company.
Benefits
Cons
Management is terrible and there are greedy.
A Great Place to Work
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 28, 2017
Not a hard job. Requires you to be friendly, clean and do your best. It is harder to move up in the company without a degree.
Great storage company with awesome customer service
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Stuart, FLJanuary 26, 2017
Extra Space Storage is a great place to work; specializing in the safety and security of its customers' valuable goods, and in priding itself in the company's policy on customer service being first and foremost.
Pros
Incentives, job growth, rewards and metrics bonuses
Cons
Weekend hours and not having two consecutive days off
Good Place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 25, 2017
This company is racist and doesn't promote much growth for African Americans. They say they promote growth from within but only to a select few. The dms with this company do not operate with integrity.
Pros
Nice properties
Cons
Bad benefits and racist
Not worth your time
ASM (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 25, 2017
There are many aggressive micro managed store mgrs. I was hired fast now i know why they don't care about there employes or there customers just about there bottom line find something else.
Pros
It is a paycheck. there are a few good stores but it is if you get lucky with a good store mgr.
Cons
everything else
Challenging Environment
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Pay and incentives are good, some flexibility if time off needed. Caters more to younger and less experienced workers, possibly to hire them with less pay.
Pros
Bonus pay, benefits
Cons
Lack of support from management, physical demands are sometimes out of line with support given
high staff turn around
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 10, 2017
There is a high turn around of staffing and the company makes policy changes constantly that make for a terrible customer relations. The Management is under staffed and with so many people constantly quitting the left over staff is required to work tripple.
This is a great company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAJanuary 2, 2017
This is a great company to work for. the benefits are good. There is a lot to be learned in the storage industry. It is a stable job, with plenty of opportunity.
They push you to move foward
Property Manger (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 29, 2016
This company has some good benefit options, they reward for going above and beyond. They work with you to achieve your professional goals.(If you want to promote they will help you find that path. If you want to stay at the level your at, they will help you be the best you can be in that position.)
Pros
performance bonus, paid uniform, gift cards
Cons
You work a lot of Saturdays, don't get off until 6 most days. There are not many overtime opportunities, You are not eligible for the 401k until after your 1st yea.
Good work.....bad supervision (DM)
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GADecember 26, 2016
I worked here for over a year and had no problems....until I got a new DM (District Manager)....who did not keep his promises and lied.

Other than that the work was not hard and interesting....plus there were some good people to work with. Every sunday....we were closed.....so that was a plus.

The hardest part of the job....was the maintenance of the property and the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.

The good and bad in this company all depends on your supervision.
Pros
off sunday
Cons
District Manager
Loved the company
On-site Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Euless, TXDecember 20, 2016
I loved working for Extra Space Storage. There is definitely room for growth within this company. The one down side is that there are only locations in major cities, and nothing in between. The Target or storage, compared to Public Storage, which would be the Walmart. Excellent training in the Amer district, and generous company.
Pros
on-site properties
Cons
locations only in large towns, benefits, corporate management.
Great company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 14, 2016
I truly enjoy working for Extra Space Storage. This is a work at your own pace kind of a job. You can work as much or as little as you want to from day to day. The management team is great, they really do help you to be successful
Pros
pay, management team, the organization of this company
Cons
cleaning outdoors in cold weather
Just not Enough
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 14, 2016
I worked here for over 5 years. I was mistreated by the DM, and you could never do enough, I was lied to about raises and promotions, and eventually accused of something I did not do. This is a job full of hard work low pay and no appreciation. Consider another company to work for!
Pros
No Pros
Cons
To many to tell
Just ok
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 13, 2016
The job is easy for the most part. The customers are difficult to deal with at times. The pay is just ok for the amount of work. The upper management are pretty nice and easy to talk to. There is never enough coverage and they need to hire more people.
Pros
No Micromanagement, bonus checks at the end of the month, nice schedule
Cons
Always short staff, always have to travel to different sites
Its a great company to work for, all team players and very professional
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMDecember 13, 2016
I really loved working for this company. All employees were very helpful and gray to work with. They made sure family was always first. Worked with me to excel in every way possible. Which was in and out of the workplace. I will forever miss and love the job and all of my coworkers. Upper management was very great.
Pros
All employees team players and willing to help in anyway possible. Paid time off, great benefits
Great learning opportunity and work life balance
Property Accountant (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTNovember 20, 2016
Extra Space Storage prides itself in it's wonderful culture and life/work balance. Hours can be very flexible depending on your schedule and quantity of work. Employees are very willing to help others especially on-boarding workers on their everyday tasks. There are always group/department/company activities that help build strong relationships among employees. There is a lot of opportunity for growth as the company expands, but many feel that the amount of work does not compensate for the pay.
good starting point but no advancement
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 18, 2016
no room for advancement,high insurance costs,nepotism run amok,lots of useless meetings,company not able to handle and staff all of the recent aquisions
Very good company to work for
Self-Storage Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLNovember 10, 2016
I learned about their competition between properties is very friendly but competitive. They insist on sales of insurance to all clients as they are self insured. Typical day is selling self storage, taking payments, contacting those in arrears, contacting those looking for storage, cleaning the property inside and out, confirming locks and move outs, walk through at least once a week.

My manager was very understanding and friendly. Hardest part was not being able to re-interview in time to be hired when the property was sold back to an investor of theirs.

Most enjoyable part was interacting with the clients on both the telephone and in person.
Pros
Large corporation with a lot of opportunities if you are willing to move
Cons
Evaluations not always for one year.
Decent
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Leaders Heights, PAOctober 22, 2016
I have worked here for going on two years now. The company itself is a great place to work for. The only issue I have is my DM for our district. If not for her I would continue to work here and have much better moral!
Pros
Pay, easy job.
Cons
Hours, work every Saturday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.