Extron Electronics

Extron Electronics Employer Reviews

Company threats people like children
Engineer (Former Employee), AnaheimJuly 17, 2014
Of all the companies I have worked for, this one has a suspicious attitude towards its professional staff.
Customer Support Representative
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee), Anaheim, CAJuly 14, 2014
• Support customers via phone correspondence, email correspondence, and provide basic sales product recommendations and or basic initial troubleshooting assistance
• Log all handled customer support calls in a customer support ticketing system
• Provide additional support to Sales Representatives, and Sales Managers, locally and abroad
• Maintain strong – more... problem solving abilities and the ability to work well under pressure – less
Sales Department is a wonderful environment with great management
Regional Accounts Specialist (Former Employee), Anaheim, CAJune 16, 2014
Very much enjoyed working for Extron's Sales Department. They treat employees very well, and provide great benefits. It was a wonderful working environment, and very professional.
The Show Must Go On!
GRAPHIC DESIGNER / SIGNAGE PRODUCTION (Current Employee), Anaheim, CAJune 4, 2014
Pros: great company, successful company, low employee turnaround
Cons: too corporate
Extron exhibits at over 60 tradeshows worldwide every year, from small conferences to large scaled Las Vegas mega shows. My typical day at Extron would consist of attending pre-show meetings to go over concepts and designs, production times, and shipping dates. Our tradeshow signage department responsible of designing and producing all signage for our – more... US, Europe, and Asia offices consist of only myself. This requires me to careful balance out my schedule to meet all signage needs around our offices worldwide. Along with designing and producing signage I also am our company signage installer which requires me to install large wall graphics and vinyl decals to our tradeshow booth (see website for videos). Our signage department also became responsible for company training event signs which requires posters and display signs on a weekly basis. Extron Electronics recently opened a new restaurant at it's Anaheim, CA office headquarters. Periodically the restaurants needs events posters mounted and t-shirt designs which is also part of my job duties, it is safe to say I keep busy on a daily basis. Meeting with vendors is important for me to make sure the quality of our signs is high and pricing is competitive with other vendors in our area. Although this may seem or sound like a ton on one persons plate I find that planning and communicating makes the job easier and the shows a success. – less
I'd rather urinate on an electrical fence while having a root canal than work here
Software Developer (Former Employee), Anaheim, CAMay 30, 2014
Pros: above average pay
Cons: politics and zombie slavery
This is not a workplace, it is a plantation of zombie slaves.

Your movements are carefully monitored and controlled. Creativity and out-of-the-box thinking is not allowed. Had to clock in, even though I was salaried. If your shift starts at 9am, dare not show up at 9:05 or even 10 minutes late from lunch or men in black will come visit you (40 lashes). – more... I had heard the stories thru the grapevine, but still took a job here because I don't judge a book by it's cover. Bad mistake. I observed no career advancement and while some of the managers are great, most of the leadership is clueless and HR runs the place like the Kremlin. Oh wait- The ONLY acceptable excuse for missing the year-end Christmas party is if you are dead, otherwise you get terminated. The time I was here I met some really good people in the ranks, only to watch the company break them down into zombies or watch them quit. They do pay pretty good though, above industry average. I guess part of the master zombie order to keep you from leaving. If you desperately need the $$$ just be forewarned, otherwise my advice is to just stay away from this place. – less
growing logistics company
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Fremont, CAMay 27, 2014
Pros: my position as a shipping and receiving clerk
Create shipping labels for outbound shipments
Scanned all shipments (UPS, Fed ex & Truckload) and verified order packet for outbound shipments in a very fast pace loaded trucks as well
My experience at Extron
Engineering Project Manager (Current Employee), Anaheim, CAApril 3, 2014
Pros: the pay is ok
Cons: lack of respect, trust, open communication
Overall management and HR see employees as potential threats, not assets, so employees are constantly worried. I worked for the Project Management team. Be aware of the supervisor of this team. She’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing. My experience is only limited to her. The rest of the people I worked with were great. There are a lot of politics here and – more... they promote a closed communication relationship. There’s a lack of trust in this company and definitely not a place for career growth. They don’t really have innovative solutions nor do they foster a culture of innovations.
I had an extremely pleasant experience working here for the first eight months or so. My manager, the manager of Engineering Project Managers told me how great I was doing and all of a sudden, she turned around and changed. I had several encounters in which, she raised her voice, and treated me in a non-professional way. She ended up taking me to HR, where we establish that I am to
1) Not leave my desk for anything other than restroom or meetings
2) Not have a meeting or talk to anyone in management without he presence or knowledge
3) Check with her and make sure she's aware when I have conflicting meetings, even when one is more important than the other
4)Say Yes to whatever she wants

Here is just ONE encounter I had with her:
Met with the manager . She verbally attacked me.
I asked whether or not I should have a meeting for two projects’ integration. She opened up the meeting notice and in a very offensive, elevated tone, asked me why I had so many directors involved in that meeting. I explained to her that one of the directors was the PM for that project, the other had been upset in the past for not being involved and wanted me to include him on all meeting notices that had to do with that project and the third I did not invite, but rather his employee forwarded the meeting notice to him.

In an elevated tone, she told me that protocol is if I invite one director, I invite others and that’s the reason why a director was upset in the past. (This company is top heavy, this statement means I’d have to invite at least 15 people! ) Then she attacked me at a personal level and asked me why one specific PD director was invited. Before I could even respond she was interrupting me. She said “I don’t care, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?” In a very abusive, unprofessional tone. I tried several times to respond to her to make her understand why I had invited the PD Director, who had happened to be the Product Manager for the specific product. She interrupted me every time saying “No see , no buts, you do what I say” . Those were her words. I finally got up and drew a picture for her on the board with the names on circles and their roles, it was then that she understood that one particular individual was part of PD and not Engineering and therefore we needed his counterpart on the other program, The PM , in the meeting. She said “I didn’t realize the individual was PD” and continued on ..

In the same meeting, she verbally abused me for leaving a meeting early. I explained to her that as a team (project) we had decided that I was going to attend the meeting for the first half and ask the team if they had anything for me and if not, leave. She said she does not want any of her project managers leaving meetings early and I was being rude. She then went on to say that “I don’t care if …. (THE PD Director) thinks something is too technical and decides to leave, you work for me and you stay”
After the fact, I asked a co-worker for her input, since she was in that meeting . She said “ She can be like that, we all know it. We all used to that.”
To work in a company where employees are used to being abused is no fun and no one should go through it.

When conflict was going on, I decided to use it as an opportunity for growth. The specific manager, made my life living hell for that month or two duration. It got to the point that I would start my day with a great attitude and the closer I got to work , the sadder I would get.
I highly recommend you to stay away from this team. – less
Challenging work, latest technologies
Design Engineer (Current Employee), Anaheim, CAMarch 4, 2014
In my team, we use latest technologies and platforms to develop our applications. Team is well skilled.
working very fast pace
Quality Test Operator (Former Employee), Anaheim, CANovember 26, 2013
Pros: sometime free lunch
Cons: short breaks
fun place to work everyone friendly, everyone get along everyone.
Friendly atmosphere and hard work in a place with professional people where the job can be done and result can be realized!
Technical support Scandinavians (Former Employee), The NetherlandsAugust 31, 2013
A typical day at work will always start off with greeting the co-workers and people in the company buildings and starting the day with a smile.
When the work starts, the to do list will be reviewed and followed in the best possible way. The hardest part is always to follow the list and do most of them accordingly without any interruption, however the – more... challenge is to do your best and always try to improve on the management in general.
The most enjoyable of all is that when the hard work pays off and you get result of what you have done during the day/week/month and it is time to finish wrap up the day and go home to family time, but before have a nice chat and perhaps good relax time with co-workers to bond more! – less
This company is okay.
Product Support Engineer (Former Employee), Anaheim, CAJune 11, 2013
Company was okay. Learned a lot about electronics. Had to clock in and clock out even though I was salary.
Hostile Culture
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), Anaheim, CAMay 31, 2013
Pros: good money.
Cons: bad/hostile work environment
There is little upward mobility, and little management concern for career advancement.

Good money, but I wouldn't go back and DON'T recommend working there.
Not bad for a fresher
Electronics Engineer (Current Employee), Anaheim, CAApril 10, 2013
Initial days are fun. Good exposure to the technology. Sort of laid back life.
A lot of experience to gain
Product Engineer (Former Employee), Anaheim, CAFebruary 20, 2013
A lot of experience to gain. Management monitoring you. Pay is low from what I see compared to other companies.
Awesome company to work for!
Engineer (Current Employee), Anaheim, CADecember 22, 2012
Pros: very good salary, good benefits, and friendly environment
Cons: nothing.
I don't understand all the bad reviews that are being done on this company. I haven't seen anything like what all the negative reviews say about the working conditions at Extron. Salary is better than most companies I used to work for. Management and co-employees are all very nice people and are a pleasure to work with. With my manager, hours are very – more... flexible. I've never once had to ask for permission to use the restroom. I don't know who in their right mind would tolerate that! All in all, Extron is a company that is on the rise and I'm proud to be a part of their team. – less
Stable Work
Senior Lead Web Applications Developer (Former Employee), Anaheim, CAJune 28, 2012
Stable workplace. Long hours and unneeded vacation blackouts. Theres no need for someone to work overtime if there's no work for them to do.
Productive and fun workplace
Tradeshow Warehouse Clerk (Current Employee), Anaheim, CAJune 21, 2012
Management and co-workers are great people to work with. I love working here, although the pay isn't that great.
The wost company I've ever worked for
Marketing Communications Writer (Former Employee), AnaheimMarch 22, 2012
Pros: if you can survive the first three months, you have a really good chance of staying.
Cons: the military isn't as stringent
I made the unfortunate mistake of working at Extron in the 2001. I remember how happy I was to get a job after being unemployed for a few months and making what I thought was a decent wage.

The interview process was not too bad...the young woman who interviewed me was pleasant...I guess I got lucky compared to some others' experiences with HR. The – more... products that they make are top-notch in quality, but there is no love for the employees.

Then the training...everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has to learn how to do some wiring, learn about electronics, etc. It's long, tedious, lasts for about two months, and you are recorded the entire time. Yes, they video record each session to see if you are paying attention, are engaged (asking questions), etc. and will approach you if they see "something".

I recall how there were about 50 of us at the beginning of our training...each week, there were a few less people. Little did I know that their employment policy is a revolving door....people come, are hired, and then let go within three months. By the time I finished my training sessions, there were only about 10 or 12 of us left. Very demoralizing, yet it also makes you feel like you are a survivor, and if you can get through that, you can get through anything.

It is absolutely true about having to ask for permission to use the restroom. If you want to take a break, you cannot do so at your desk. Even if you are a salaried employee, you still need to clock in and out, and will be reprimanded if your are late, even if you work late.

When I completed my assignments, I had to endure three or four layers of management to review my work, each of which would make changes. In the end, my work would be changed back to it's original state.

I too was let go after three months, and I couldn't be happier. Hardly anyone smiled, HR was feared, if you smoke (which I don't) you can't even smoke across the street, you have to take a physical which includes running prior to being hired. I'm surprised that people were proud to say that they have worked there for years...I guess they wear that as a badge of courage.

So, if you want to feel like a valued employee and appreciated for the good work that you do, DO NOT work at Extron. If you are a robot, immune to the lack of interpersonal communication, or are one paycheck away from being homeless, than take your chance and work for Extron. I would rather work three jobs than work at Extron. – less

April 22, 2013

No wonder they are always hiring people. I kind of know what is going on. That is stupid that you need to ask for permission to go to restroom.

great and fun place to work
final assember (Former Employee), Anaheim, CaJanuary 6, 2012
they keep you busy, and thats what i like im a person that loves to be kept busy.
Do NOT work for this company.
I plead the 5th (Former Employee), Anaheim, CASeptember 3, 2011
Cons: human resources is "not a fit"
It is really unfortunate that I have to write such a negative review about this company. However, the truth needs to be said that this is not a company I would ever recommend to anyone.

First, Human Resources rules with an iron fist at this company. Normally, when you go for an interview, you apply and interview with HR first, right? Not here. Depending – more... on the position you are applying for, you interview with your manager first. If you are an engineer, better set aside at least 3-4 hours because you will go through multiple interviews. After interviewing with the manager(s), your last and final interview is with HR. It doesn’t matter if everyone you interviewed with likes you and thinks you would do great, if HR finds a hair out of place, they won’t hire you. Yes, you just spent all that time for an HR manager who you probably won’t ever see or talk much to just throw up a red flag and say “not a fit.” The sad part is that because HR has way too much power, not even the VP of Engineering will challenge their decision. If you do make it pass, you will quickly notice how scared everyone is of HR. When they walk into a building 9/10 times someone is about to be “let go.” You will see everyone scatter like cockroaches. They also have what I like to refer to as “moles.” These are people who will literally walk around and see what people are doing at their desk, who they are talking to, etc. HR has also been known to drive around the parking lot to see who is doing what in the parking lot.

Second, there is no training. After now working for a company that requires training for all employees, I see how much of a difference this can make. Do not expect for anyone show you anything.

The best way to survive working here is to keep to yourself and let HR intimidate you. Those who do not let intimidation get the best of them are eventually let go. – less