EY Employee Reviews in United States

From a core business services world
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJFebruary 1, 2016
Core business services you will find people who are either passionate about their job and jump different levels wherever the door opens or those who are comfortable in their job. It is not the 'up or out' motto that you see from the client serving side. Diversity & Inclusiveness is very strong at EY yet in some groups it is lacking in the 'people first' environment. Too many priorities at task and some upper management is becoming 'JP Morgan' with uncertainty which IT group is going to Alpharetta.

EY has great benefits and is focused in helping employees developing their career through training. The offices are moving to become more agile which has it's plus and minuses.

All around it truly is a great company but should reinvest in the IT infrastructure to attract the millennials and retain talent. When you know the right people, they will be your sponsor in bettering your career and helping their own career.
Horrible place to work if you are support staff
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 7, 2015
This company boasts about Work Life balance and valuing it's employees but if you are in a support staff position such as an Executive Assistant, you are not given any flexibility in schedule, are given overwhelming amounts of work and expected to perform miracles. And if you do manage to get your work load done, you are not rewarded for it and it is almost impossible to get a promotion or raise unless you are the manage'r pet. Supervisor of the staff is never around and has no idea what the team does everyday. Partners are condescending and show no appreciation whatsoever. Worst experience of my life.
Pros
Lots of vacation and holidays and the option to buy additional time off
Cons
Demanding and overwhelming workload, no support from HR or management, not rewarded for work well done.
Perfect pre-retirement job
Sr Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJMarch 7, 2016
The project team is geographically dispersed and I've never even met my counselor. EY lacks the personal touch and human interaction. While the benefits are amazing and you're encouraged to have a "work from home lifestyle", at times it feels very cold. Over the last two years, the PMO has matured a great deal. InfoSec projects range from medium sized to enterprise. It's made very clear how critical projects are to the firm, so as a portfolio, we feel like our work matters. I have had 3 counselors in the last year, so there is a great deal of inconsistency in the direction management is taking the portfolio.
Pros
Pension Plan (on top of 401K), benefits, subsidized lunches.
Cons
Very impersonal
Great benefits, great training, culture going in wrong direction
Senior Manager Advisory, Financial Services Office (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 18, 2015
Perhaps a better place for early career individuals who are willing and able to make work their first priority. I met a lot of smart and really good people at EY, but also came to feel pigeon-holed into a job that was clearly not going anywhere and I felt my significant efforts to expand into new opportunity areas was never seriously considered despite the fact that I invested financially and time wise personally in formal education to have applicable skills along with my very significant experience. Culture at this firm was special but seems to me to have been damaged as more people were brought in at senior level who did not really value the importance of culture.
Pros
Benefits, Training
Cons
old boy network creates insiders and outsiders.
EY Senior Review
Advisory Experienced Senior - RISK Assurance (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 8, 2015
Working for a Big 4 company provides opportunities to manage large projects, teams from start to finish. My experience with EY has been extremely beneficial from a project management, coaching and overall engagement management perspective. Areas for improvement for EY would be Company culture and the management teams ability to manage their employees.
Pros
Flexibility, sizable raises, small teams
Cons
Expected working hours, Management culture
great company
Financial Service Rep/Retirement Counselor (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJApril 3, 2016
Great office and everyone works as a team. Management is very considerate and caring of employees. Offers excellent work/life balance and competitive salaries.
Challenging and high-paced workplace with little reward
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2016
A good firm to learn how to be a professional and start your career. The hours and lack of innovation hurt as you advance, especially at a time where breaking the mold is standard.

Otherwise, EY offers a steady, high-paced and challenging work environment.

The pay is slightly lower, and benefits are terrible (compared to other professional firms).
Pros
Flexible hours, challenging
Cons
Terrible benefits, long hours, poor pay
Excellent Employer
Staff Auditor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 21, 2016
EY is a great place to work because of the people, the culture, and the benefits. The heavy emphasis on teamwork and the hiring process create an atmosphere of accomplishment.

There is great client exposure and I worked in healthcare, real estate, and manufacturing. I was also responsible for ten inventory observation assignments which included traveling to the client warehouse, preparing documentation, and meeting deadlines set by the team. I improved most in task organization, communication, and efficiency. The most enjoyable part of my work at Ernst & Young happened when I received positive feedback on a project.

Because of the size of Ernst & Young and many of its clients, I would only work on 1-3 accounts and various projects. Since I am searching for a new job, I would like to work somewhere I can work with more of the accounting/auditing process. I believe this would give me a more holistic view of the project and would offer opportunities to complete tasks with more consistency.
I was assigned to United Technologies,
Senior Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMarch 14, 2016
so I never spent any great amount of time at the corporate offices. This makes it very difficult to make any good contacts on a corporate level, although UTC did provide me with that. I learned to deal with various state agencies as this was part of my duties. My co-workers were very friendly and created an environment where good work was praised.
Pros
Big 4 experience
Cons
No clear advancement opportunities
Great place to work and move up within the company
Staff 2 (Former Employee) –  Santiago de Chile, RMNovember 4, 2015
Great place to work with very supportive management. The experience in audit teams is very high and the management is quick to help you learn new methods and support you in your tasks. EYU also gives classes on different methods and the newest up to date information in regards to auditing and company policies. The work culture is fantastic and if you apply yourself there is always roof for advancement within the company.
In audit the high season is between December and March, you will be working 12 hour days and most likely eating all your meals at the office or client location until at least midnight. Be prepared to work.
Job security and comfortable benefits
Assurance Staff (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2015
Specific to assurance (audit) service line. Experience based on teaming. In some experience, work/life balance in non-existent and upper management is solely concerned with completing projects and not team satisfaction. Other situations allow for better work/life balance and great experiences. Very involved in the community and strive for excellence in the product of each audit. benefits are satisfactory but not the best. For the most part, unless one is a truly poor worker, thee is job security and promotion on the allotted timeline.
Buttoned-Down work environment
Marketing Manager, West Region (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2016
EY is a very corp and professional environment. Some office politics, but mostly limited to top industry leaders and senior partners. Overall professional and administrative staff was kind and easy to work with.
Pros
Great organization. Room for advancement.
Cons
Little room for advancement if you're not a CPA.
navigating politics
Manager (Former Employee) –  new york, nyOctober 5, 2015
this is a great company to work for as long as you learn how to navigate through politics. the company has gone through several unsuccessful re-orgs in the past 2-3 years. each re-org impacts employees in a negative manner and makes you earn the trust of management all over again. however, if you manage to connect with the right partners who are top performers then your career is set. The firm has an aggressive growth model that is clearly impacting the staff. especially when it comes to acquisitions, the company is not mature enough to keeping the talent. they do a great job acquiring the company however, the on boarding of the new employees needs improvement. the culture appears to be solid but there are a lot of high ranking individuals that does not live by the culture it boasts.
Pros
reputable company, looks good on the resume
Cons
bad management practice, not a strong pipeline, aggressive hiring but not enough work to go around
Great company
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2016
Great management able to work on your strengths and help you build your weakness. Loved the corporate setting. I would recommend working for this company if offered a position.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Job security
Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2015
- Dynamic workplace with very nice and considerate people
- People culture - Employee views, preferences, interests and career goal matters. Very supportive management
- Good compensation as compared to market rates for the same position
- Great learning and growth opportunities
Pros
- A great launching pad for your career
Cons
- Work can get really crazy at times
Worst company I have ever worked for!!!!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 15, 2015
EY praises work/life/balance - THERE IS NO SUCH THING for Executive Assistants! The EA SUPERVISOR in Hartford, CT was swearing, harassing and very hostile towards employees, whereas if employees knew she was coming in the office they would avoid her as best they could. Your desk is not your own - you MUST remove all personal belongings at the end of each day. There are also cameras in the ceilings so they can monitor every move you make during the course of the day. Oh and don't think about talking in a normal work like voice, because it's too loud and distracting!
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
NO Work/Life/Balance, No one talks to anyone, Executive Assistants are considered the bottom of the barrel
No work/life balance but great learning opportunities
Tax Senior (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 1, 2016
At any client service firm, you essentially have no personal life as was the case with EY. It's a great firm with great compensation opportunities and learning opportunities, but if your priority isn't to advance in your career, then I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Free food all the time
Great learning experience
Senior Director, Strategic Planning (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2016
Smart people to work with. Excellent training, compensation and benefits. Ability to advance quickly through the organization. Global advancement.
Fun place to work
Role. Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 29, 2016
Great people to work with. Amazing culture. I just hope management would be straight forward with leadership prospect
Pros
flexiblity
Cons
Lack of direction
Great company, good people, great benefits, difficult work
Assistant Director, FSO Advisory (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 11, 2016
Great company, good people, great benefits, difficult work, challenging personalities and expectations. Depending on what group you are in, you could be overworked, or around challenging management and people. Or you could end up in a great group and love your job.