F+W Media, Inc. Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Change in Senior Managemen
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COAugust 24, 2017
The new senior management wants to outsource as much work as they can.

Before the change in management I love working for the company even though it required a lot of extra hours. The challenges were always exciting and a great way to grow experience in new enterprise applications and business analysis.
Disorganized with Constant Change
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COAugust 1, 2017
I'd like to start off on a positive note, which is a little difficult, but the the majority of people who work on the ground at F+W in Fort Collins are awesome. If you chose to accept a job there, be prepared for constant change with no explanation, disorganization due to the constant change and little to no training. I was hired as an Instructional Designer but was expected to know about marketing, SEO and analytics which would have been fine except I didn't have any training. There was very little in the way of actual instructional design and almost no opportunity for innovation. Early release on Friday was nice, and it was air conditioned.
Pros
People and air conditioning
Cons
Everything else
If you like constant upheaval...this is your place
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJuly 24, 2017
In the 3 years that I worked here, I had 4 supervisor changes, 3 CEO changes, 3 "restructuring" and watched a lot of people get laid off. The pay is super low and don't expect more than a 2% raise if you even get one that year. The morale is low and turnover is high. Everything is budget driven and most of the time 1 person does the job of 2 or 3 people.
Pros
Co-workers are awesome
Cons
Pretty much everything not in the pros
A Place with Potential But a Lot of Frustration
Content Developer (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHApril 17, 2017
The longer I've been with the company the more I've seen of the philosophy. There are a lot of good people in the company with passions and interests that they can bring to the work. However, the company pays low and doesn't reward you for the hard work you put in. There are also constantly changes with new executives coming in trying to "right the ship" and promising that this time will be the time they respect the employees and give back to them. There is a lot of potential with the company, but it never seems to quite be realized, which is very frustrating. The projects you work on can be really interesting, but the company as a whole has some issues.
Pros
Casual work environment, good passionate people, some interesting projects
Cons
Lack of 401k match, benefits could be better, pay structure is bad and it's hard to move up financially, lots of changes with processes and executives
Overall good place to work
Editorial (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 28, 2017
Overall good place to work, flexible hours, opportunities for advancement, fast paced, friendly people, good synergy among employees, good people overall, chance to work in subject area you enjoy
Pros
Flexible, creative environment
Cons
Company bought out every few years
Great job if you love publications
Creative pro (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 11, 2017
Co-workers are the best, dedicated and passionate. Resources are often lacking. Company works on a shoestring. Steady work, but industry is in flux so lots of changes and challenges.
Pros
Great people, interesting work
Cons
Challenging industry
Start here and go elsewhere
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, CONovember 30, 2016
F+W Media has yet another management team and I'm hopeful that they are working hard to bring the company into the 20th Century!
There have been massive layoffs, and yes, lots of higher salaried folks so they can hire young, inexperienced staff for lower wages.
Wonderful, creative people in every department and I believe management is trying to right this Titanic but the human resource department is awful! And pay is LOW!
Pros
The new craft beer Fridays, great coworkers
Cons
almost everything else
Profits before people
Editor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 30, 2016
The company has gone through 2 CEO's in about as many years. Newest one is only here for his contract. So be prepared for another sale or change. Many layoffs and constant restructuring. Upper management is the problem as it frequently is plus lack of direction. Imagine a barnyard full of headless chickens running around and you kinda get the idea of what it's like. Going from one idea' to the next. Marketing consists of constant email blasts. No nuanced approach. Below industry pay but you do get out early Friday's during summer. Last layoffs had a majority of older folks (40-60). So much more to say , it's sad because the magazines are great to work on. You could cut your teeth here, but have a back up plan.
Pros
Early Friday release during summer
Cons
Low pay, layoffs, no bonus, low to no raises.
Extreme management changes
Video Production Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COAugust 31, 2016
It's wonderful to work with so many talented people. Artists and crafters working together to create craft magazines.
Sadly, the company has changed management three times in the course of my 2 years here and systems need a serious overhaul.

There's a new team coming on board and changes afoot...so hopefully they can turn things around. But many talented people have left or been fired and moral is very low.
Pros
Working with fellow crafters
Cons
salaries are low, staff is treated poorly
A fun place with plenty of opportunity for growth
Senior Editor and Editorial Director (Former Employee) –  Iola, WIJuly 24, 2016
A fun place with plenty of opportunity for growth; management rewards those with good, profitable ideas; employees are encouraged to move inside the company.
A comfortable place to work
N/A (Current Employee) –  USApril 29, 2016
I feel F+W has issues just like every other company in the world does. As a specialist in what we provide, there will be limitations to what we can do in the future. That being said, F+W has come a long way from the beginnings as a publisher and I feel this is a great direction for F+W overall.
Pros
PTO plan, Summer Hours, flexible scheduling
Flexible and comfortable place to work
Catalog Project Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Avon, MAApril 17, 2015
F+W Media is a great place to work. They are very flexible and coworkers are easy to work with. Online access from anywhere allows all to work together while being apart.
F+W Media
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Loveland, COApril 11, 2013
A typical day at work involves reviewing financial information, providing reporting to management. I also perform journal entries and do annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting.

I have learned a lot about the budgeting and forecasting process.

The hardest part of my current job is wanting to make changes and improve processes, but not being in a position where I can implement or make those changes.

The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers.
The Company Overall
Submissions Editor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 30, 2012
A good company to be employed by. They primarily work with licensed material, but will consider other possibilities. The environment is relaxed, no pressure at all. But like any company that publishes comics, you are required to meet your deadlines.
Pros
easy to work for
Cons
skeptical of unlicensed, unproven material.