FAA Employee Reviews

Faa
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 12, 2017
Air traffic control is stressful. The managers suck. Training is rough. Pay advances are quick if you're a quick learner. Can't work a day over 56 so that's when most retire. Others retire at 25 years.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Rotating shifts
N/a
Financial Aid advisor (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTMay 9, 2017
The Job i had as a FAA had a good work culture and poor work life balance. I enjoyed the work and learned a lot but doesn't allow for flexibility or a high enough salary for there requirements with no overtime being over qualified i deiced this wasn't the right place for me.
Federal Government
Sr Technical Writer-Editor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MAMay 8, 2017
Confidentiality agreements preclude me from commenting on this job. Do not waste your time applying for a Federal government job. No future in government service.
Cons
Trump
Excellent Government Agency
Operational Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 11, 2017
The FAA provided an excellent training program that allowed me have a career I never imagined. Excellent opportunities to advance and achieve whatever your career goals may be.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Shift work
Air Traffic Control
Traffic management Officer (Current Employee) –  Dot, WAMarch 12, 2017
This is a government position. Work is performed 24/7 and includes requirements to work any/all three shift (days, eves, mid-nights). There are two options terminal and enroute with varying pay scales determined by the number of operations performed on a daily basis.

The controller and staff specialist positions are union jobs with management (supervisors and above) being non-union positions.

Overall you won't find better people to work with. Training takes several years to attain full certification and there are stressful situations due to the nature of the job.

There is a definite level of pride and achievement with serving the flying public and being a part of the safest and most complex airspace in the world.
Pros
Job security, good pay, healthcare and retirement benefits
Cons
Some people and their families find it difficult to work shifts, weekends and holidays.
challenging and enjoyable
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 12, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed the opportunities i had. A certain level of adrenaline rush and professionalism. Management very caring about employees. No punishment for using benefits. Wish i had been able to stay there.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Could be stressful
Great job and benefits, but had some poor managers.
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Hampton, GADecember 12, 2016
Wish I had stayed longer to raise my retirement benefits but the rotating shift work had me wishing for a regular day shift job.
Great Government organization
Repairman (Former Employee) –  Santee, CANovember 5, 2016
I work as a A&P certificated by the FAA. My job was not working for the FAA. I would a ssume that it is a great place to work, The pay seems to be good and being a safety inspector would be great.
Good working environment great people
FAA cart assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO Lambert AirportNovember 3, 2016
G2secure staff was a great company to work for and they normally show there workers great support when ask are if you in need are in trouble. I like the fact that they wouldn't change who you are all they want you to show up on time and do the job correctly
Pros
Great environment cool management good people
ELearning Team
Senior Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 26, 2016
Team was a bit unorganized at times. Leadership lacked respect. Was able to learn something from each team member.

The environment was to cluttered with people. Hard to adjust to a cube environment. Was hard to concentrate at work. The head manager did treat contractors respectfully.
Pros
Working at the Navy Yard
Cons
The commute
ATC is stressful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 25, 2016
Training to be an Air Traffic Controller is stressful. The pay for being and Air Traffic Controller is a lot. 20 words minimum
Interesting work...
DevOps, DataOps, Developer, DBA (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJApril 16, 2016
This work was fun. It involved some of the most challenging software development and research, such as working with MIT labs.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Travel - daily commute was over 3 hrs total
Quick summary
Logistics Specialist/Property management (Current Employee) –  Pomona, NJJanuary 13, 2016
The Tech Center is a great place to work with varied projects coming and going in and out of the labs. I started out here as a Cad drafter for the engineering dept. drawing plans for new labs coming in and redesigning labs here and at the radar sites. I've met a lot of people with various backgrounds.. some good, some bad. I was able to pick up extra work when it was slow in the space management group and then extra work as a property delegate for our engineering dept. fast forward.. money cuts= positions cut. My position was cut however, I was picked up on another contract and was allowed to expand my workload even more. I now track, add and excess and resolve issues on millions of dollars worth of assets nationwide. I am the go to for research and questions on property procedures.
I enjoy research and resolving issues that have been stagnate for years. The hardest part of my job is discovering misuse or mishandling of assets, non compliance with federal standards and procedures or processing. This causing millions and millions of dollars of equip. unrecorded and unaccounted for, most don't care because it has gone on for years-there is lack of accountability.
Pros
close to home and flexible with my schedule (have school aged children)
Cons
took a pay cut, no sick days, health benefits not that good, no real job security
Long good career
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2016
Happy to have a pension! I worked for the FAA for 33 years, had great opportunities to work in various locations and areas of air traffic control. I am grateful to have had the opportunity and experience, it was a good employer for me.
Pros
good salary
Cons
government moves slowly
poor
M&P Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 29, 2015
Performed A, B, and light C check, Learjet CRJ-200 and 500. Perform Ad’s, routine maintenance, and operational checks.
Pros
was not there long enough
Cons
low pay
Stressful
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 23, 2015
The job itself was not stressful, the people and managment were. Controling aircraft is what I loved to do, but technology is my life.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Mean spirited people
rewarding in all aspects of the job
Eligibility Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Safford, AZJanuary 23, 2015
Great to be able to help so many people on a daily basis. To create change for the needs of others was very rewarding. The training that was provided helped to perform job efficiently
FAA Air Traffic Control
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Terminal) (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, CODecember 10, 2014
The typical work of an air traffic controller specialist (ATCS) involves a multitude of duties and collaboration between air traffic personnel, management, and support technicians. Flexible work hours, possible overtime, and rotating shifts are common among the ATCS community. The FAA management of ATCS employees and the union to provide a safe and effective working environment. Although its a difficult field, ATCS personnel work well and communicate openly during shifts and keep open communication with management on difficult work schedules, staffing needs, and shift availability.
Pros
Changing environments (never work the same situation twice), Fluctuating Traffic Volumes, Exciting/quick paced traffic situations
Cons
Rotating shift work (early, late, and overnight shifts), Difficult problem solving (requires a complex process--often quickly resolved), Large amounts of memorization
Fun workplace with many opportunities to learn
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 15, 2014
I really enjoyed working there. everyone was fun and friendly and wiling to teach about the functions of the facility. The manager was very nice as was the secretary and others in the tower.
Pros
Easy to work with staff.
Agency for Federal Aviation
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 2, 2014
Interesting working in a control tower at the airport. Nice people, always willing to share information about airline safety.
My job was easy as a receptionist I greeted and signed in visitors, entered payroll information into the system, ordered office supplies, and prepared correspondence.
Pros
Learning how they montior air traffic
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FAA. Our community is ready to answer.