FAA Employee Reviews in United States

ELearning Team
Senior Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 26, 2016
Team was a bit unorganized at times. Leadership lacked respect. Was able to learn something from each team member.

The environment was to cluttered with people. Hard to adjust to a cube environment. Was hard to concentrate at work. The head manager did treat contractors respectfully.
Pros
Working at the Navy Yard
Cons
The commute
Interesting work...
DevOps, DataOps, Developer, DBA (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJApril 16, 2016
This work was fun. It involved some of the most challenging software development and research, such as working with MIT labs.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Travel - daily commute was over 3 hrs total
Long good career
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2016
Happy to have a pension! I worked for the FAA for 33 years, had great opportunities to work in various locations and areas of air traffic control. I am grateful to have had the opportunity and experience, it was a good employer for me.
Pros
good salary
Cons
government moves slowly
ATC is stressful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 25, 2016
Training to be an Air Traffic Controller is stressful. The pay for being and Air Traffic Controller is a lot. 20 words minimum
Quick summary
Logistics Specialist/Property management (Current Employee) –  Pomona, NJJanuary 13, 2016
The Tech Center is a great place to work with varied projects coming and going in and out of the labs. I started out here as a Cad drafter for the engineering dept. drawing plans for new labs coming in and redesigning labs here and at the radar sites. I've met a lot of people with various backgrounds.. some good, some bad. I was able to pick up extra work when it was slow in the space management group and then extra work as a property delegate for our engineering dept. fast forward.. money cuts= positions cut. My position was cut however, I was picked up on another contract and was allowed to expand my workload even more. I now track, add and excess and resolve issues on millions of dollars worth of assets nationwide. I am the go to for research and questions on property procedures.
I enjoy research and resolving issues that have been stagnate for years. The hardest part of my job is discovering misuse or mishandling of assets, non compliance with federal standards and procedures or processing. This causing millions and millions of dollars of equip. unrecorded and unaccounted for, most don't care because it has gone on for years-there is lack of accountability.
Pros
close to home and flexible with my schedule (have school aged children)
Cons
took a pay cut, no sick days, health benefits not that good, no real job security
poor
M&P Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 29, 2015
Performed A, B, and light C check, Learjet CRJ-200 and 500. Perform Ad’s, routine maintenance, and operational checks.
Pros
was not there long enough
Cons
low pay
Stressful
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 23, 2015
The job itself was not stressful, the people and managment were. Controling aircraft is what I loved to do, but technology is my life.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Mean spirited people
Agency for Federal Aviation
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 2, 2014
Interesting working in a control tower at the airport. Nice people, always willing to share information about airline safety.
My job was easy as a receptionist I greeted and signed in visitors, entered payroll information into the system, ordered office supplies, and prepared correspondence.
Pros
learning how they montior air traffic
FAA Air Traffic Control
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Terminal) (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, CODecember 10, 2014
The typical work of an air traffic controller specialist (ATCS) involves a multitude of duties and collaboration between air traffic personnel, management, and support technicians. Flexible work hours, possible overtime, and rotating shifts are common among the ATCS community. The FAA management of ATCS employees and the union to provide a safe and effective working environment. Although its a difficult field, ATCS personnel work well and communicate openly during shifts and keep open communication with management on difficult work schedules, staffing needs, and shift availability.
Pros
changing environments (never work the same situation twice), fluctuating traffic volumes, exciting/quick paced traffic situations
Cons
rotating shift work (early, late, and overnight shifts), difficult problem solving (requires a complex process--often quickly resolved), large amounts of memorization
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita KSJuly 9, 2014
Contractor employee. Oversee and manage the database of the employee's time and attendance, overtime, training/school, notifications of personnel actions, OJT, vehicle mileage and travel authorization orders to develop and coordinate various reports required for the FAA/SSC manager. Responsible for MSDS and for all of the Accounting records and reports, which consists of each individual credit card purchases, contracts, Material requisition/issue/receipt and Equipment Returns.

I learned many different types of procedures.

Management was wonderful.

My co-workers were all great.

The hardest part of the job was during the stormy weather issues.

I enjoyed working with everyone and we all worked well with each other.
Pros
enjoyable work environment
Cons
contract employed
Working with fellow employees and having luncheon at the end of the month or holidays.
CSR II (Current Employee) –  Globe, ArizonaApril 7, 2014
Daily routine completing scanning application and all forms of information for case workers to compete case files. Input all case calls and information to correct trackers. Answer all possible question to cliental of their case files to save time for case workers, so they can continue to work up cases. Co-workers are a team workers taking over al duties when they are away from their work station. Assigned to two different office locations travel to Superior 2 times a week and to the Globe office 3x times a week. Work in three different FAA office due to 2 office closure.
Pros
more shopping area and lunch locations
Cons
currently none
Air Traffic Systems Specialist
Air Traffic Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 13, 2012
Review any problems in work. Check Status of all communication lines for proper performance. Report in and maintain Status of all maintenance activities to the System Operations Control. Maintain All records of activities. Coordinate Repairs in the field and report Status. Inspect All systems per Schedule and document. This is a demanding job. Management expects all systems to be up 99.9% of the time. The employees are professional and friendly. Most large projects are shared with others. Lots of training.
Pros
long term progression opportunities
Cons
can be stressful at times.
Very busy office that kept you on your toes.
CUSTOMER SVC REP 1 (Former Employee) –  Bullhead City, AZMay 8, 2012
My job was exciting, people would come in and want their food stamps or change to their benefits and it was a pleasure to accomodate them. I dealt with the phones and the faxes: applicants would fax over their verifications for me to upload in the system and to their cases. Fun job, although the thank yous were not often, the appreciation for what i accomplished was immeasurable.
Pros
i enjoyed this job the most throughout my career.
Cons
alot of emotional people calling, patience and understanding are key.
Fast pace ever changing devlelopment.
Engineer Test 2 (Current Employee) –  Ft. HuachucaNovember 2, 2012
Stay current with development of systems by participating in telecoms, meetings with program management office as well as working with my government Action Officer.
Review documentation to determine new capabilities along with test requirements.
Develop test plan.
Participate in test to acquire data to analyses.
Write test report.
Manage monies on task and ensure we are staying within the burn rate.
Stay current with ever changing policies to ensure test plans and reports are current and up to date.
Pros
good coworkers, and fast pace environment
Cons
i have moved and now have a 11/2 hour commute earch way
Enjoy work with the Pilot's for certification or check rides.
Aviation Safety Inspector (Current Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILSeptember 11, 2013
A typical day at the FAA is ever so changing, I am the Team Lead for International Airlines inspections at Chicago O'Hare, perfoming routine inspections on an assigned carrier, incident investigation, also provide spread sheets for different task within the office.
Pros
enjoy working with people.
Cons
i always try and find the route of a problem.
rewarding in all aspects of the job
Eligibility Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Safford, AZJanuary 23, 2015
Great to be able to help so many people on a daily basis. To create change for the needs of others was very rewarding. The training that was provided helped to perform job efficiently
Fun workplace with many opportunities to learn
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 15, 2014
I really enjoyed working there. everyone was fun and friendly and wiling to teach about the functions of the facility. The manager was very nice as was the secretary and others in the tower.
Pros
easy to work with staff.
Loved it great place to work
Inspection Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 10, 2014
Getting to meet new people, because FAA is so big you get to meet new people all the time.
How to drive a forklift.
Management was great and helpful.
Co-workers was great people to work with.
Don't Remember.
The work I did was very enjoyable.
Wonderful job experience and security
Management and Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Washington D.C.August 31, 2014
Overall good job with excellent benefits. The working culture varies from fast pace to a slow tempo. Worked in a top security environment with a strategic to tactical focus.
Pros
responsibilities
Cons
commute to washington dc
Intense work
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 25, 2014
Your day started with being assigned to the tower or radar room. The job was very demanding with the amount of traffic you would working. You were in constant contact with your co-workers. the best part of work was knowing that everyone made it to there destination safely.
Pros
great people