Fairchild Semiconductor

Fairchild Semiconductor Employee Reviews

lots of changes
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 29, 2015
Cons: way too much politics
Mid size company with big ego. Leadership is unstable and ran by politics. If your liked you stay if not you get "laid off". Its very obvious that there are major politics going on there. Its ran by the Maine office which isn't to fond of the San Jose office, that pretty much sums it up.
I enjoyed working in a remote office
Hewlett Packard Global Account Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TexasMay 12, 2015
Pros: It was a good company, great benefits, wonderful growth programs.
Cons: Short sighted managemet that has moved all strategic vision to Asia.
The management was struggling to move Fairchild from a commodity based company to provide more value based solutions. This was a bold move for a venerable name in the semiconductor business. And one that ultimately did not work for them.

Unfortunately, Fairchild had to lay off more and more of it's work force in the mid-late 2000's and close many of it's North American foundries. The direction the management chose was disastrous for the company, the employees and me personally.
Good
Operator 3 (Former Employee), West Jordan, UTMay 5, 2015
Great benefits, great place to work. The people were wonderful. I could not have been more happy.

Long hours the company had great benefits.
A great place while it was available.
Process Engineer (Former Employee), West Jordan, UTMay 4, 2015
Pros: Great people, challenging work, decent compensation
Cons: Occasional long nights, closure of the site.
Fairchild has a lot of great technical work available. Most engineering positions have you doing several things with hands on work that keeps the position interesting. Everyone that worked around me were talented and very capable individuals. The direct management at the fab were decent for the most part and have been very helpful with moving people on since the announcement of the Salt Lake closure. It would have been a nice place to form a long career at but unfortunately it didn't last long enough to do so.
Solid Company
Electrical Engineering Assistant (Former Employee), Manchester, NHApril 30, 2015
Worked here for a summer, lots of hard working engineers and managers. Good experience with drafting electrical boards and working in the lab. Clean facility.
Excellent Company
Oxide Etch Operator (Former Employee), West Valley, UTApril 30, 2015
Pros: Good community
Cons: Long hours
Excellent job training. Helpful supervisors. Co-workers were professional. Easy to work with Engineers. Relaxed and work focused environment. Hardest part was leaving.
Productive and adaptive organization
Sr. Application/Marketing Engineer (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COMarch 11, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Fairchild was an amazing company to work for. They did an amazing job allowing emploees to balance job vs family responsibilities. This type of oganization aided in higher productivity levels.
The company appears to be a state of confusion.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Irving, TXFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: payroll check does not bounce and benefits are comparable to industry.
Cons: lack of support by mgr. to help you achieve individual career goals.
A typical work day involves responding to eMails, looking at reports, many that have no clear purpose or value.

I have learned to service customers on my own and not to expect assistance from Management.

Management is not concerned with day to day challenges of the front line worker, CSR/Inside Sales, everything is top down.

My co-workers are knowledgeable of the tasks associated with the role of CSR/Inside sales, but they are not challenged to help drive strategy at accounts to assure success for customer and Fairchild.

The hardest part of the job is trying to give inputs to management and not be heard.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with field sales team and being a part of the high-tech industry.

The culture is very hierarchal, so employees are expected to do as they are told from their Mgr. Experience doesn't matter even if you have more experience than your Mgr. You are not given the opportunity to decide your future with the company, decisions are made for you.
Many changes in management creating uncertainy in direction
Staff Field Applications Engineer (Former Employee), IndianaFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: some good technology. good benefits.
Cons: poor managment.
Changes made by COO who has now been fired created significant turnover of personal and turmoil. Unsure business focus and technology.
Solid Company with advancement
Senior Business Analysis Manager (Former Employee), South Portland, MEFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: salary and benefits
Cons: work life balance has suffered
Company has a solid reputation in the industry. Benefits and salary are well above normal. World wide company with several locations.
Productive place to work
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee), South Portland, MEJanuary 27, 2015
working for manufacturing is great, I have enjoy working with Fairchild. Not only I get to learns some tools, I get the chance to work with machinery computerize that is. I have enjoy being around with such great people of different ethnic such as like me. Everyone in here is very friendly and outgoing.
Fairchild Semiconductor
4mil Operator (Current Employee), West Jordan, UTJanuary 25, 2015
I had a very good time working for this company. However, I would like a job with more security. Fairchild is closing down the West Jordan plant and I need to find a job before they close.
Good people, unclear future
Principal Applications and Definition Engineer (Former Employee), South Portland MaineJanuary 20, 2015
The company is filled with good people. Fairchild is undergoing big changes which is causing some pain for employees
Good company to gain experience
Fabrication Operator (Former Employee), South Portland, MEDecember 27, 2014
Pros: management, safety
Cons: pay, career advancement
With a premium on safety, they're a good company at least for me to establish a foundation to start my professional career. I enjoyed my time there.
Great Place until they lay you off
Electronic Technician (Former Employee), South Portland, MEDecember 9, 2014
Pros: learned a lot
Cons: got laid off
I really liked working there, I hated to get laid off. Some idiot in sales made a statement that they were number one in Asia or something like that then TI started giving there fairchild chips equivalent for free, what a fool.
Overall a great company which is going through a lot of change.
Director (Former Employee), San Jose, CANovember 21, 2014
Pros: exciting to be part of the changing culture
Cons: not a lot of divisional support from corporate
Fairchild is a company that is reinventing itself by investing more into new products to capture additional share. The design cycles are very fast, therefore, manufacturing is very challenged when products ramp. This created a very dynamic environment in supply chain which was challenging and rewarding.
Manufacturing first facility
Process Engineer (Former Employee), South Portland, MENovember 20, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers, decent pay for the area
Cons: poor work life balance, on-call 24/7
The Western Ave facility emphasizes throughput as it should as a manufacturing facility. However, this sometimes causes short term emergencies to take unnecessary precedent over big picture solutions. There is a small IT/IS department. That coupled with patched together home-grown and commercial systems make simple solutions much more complex than they should be. Often times the largest impediments to solutions are often logistical rather than technical which get tedious over time.
Total change from 10 years ago.
Sr Mgr Sales Operations (Former Employee), San Jose, CAOctober 10, 2014
Pros: they paid well.
Cons: no direction, no focus, no leadership
It's a shame to see a good US company being driven into the ground.
Good solid place to work
Manufacturing Support Technician (Former Employee), South Portland, MEOctober 10, 2014
Pros: incentive payouts
Cons: loss of us jobs to the asian job market
Good place to work with moderate advancement. I spent 27 years there. I was a proud worker and had a strong sense of loyalty to my former employer. My favorite aspect of my job was the interaction among my peers. Everyday tended to be a little different from the day before, and I found that stimulating.

I would recommend them to anyone, especially in the IS/IT areas!
Once Great Company
Employee (Current Employee), CaliforniaOctober 8, 2014
Fairchild offers ample opportunity and excellent compensation. The culture is not particularly conducive to work/life balance, but there is ample opportunity - high stress. Extreme volatility in management and job security. This was not always the case, but recent management changes have not resulted in a positive outcome for the workforce.

1 2 3

About Fairchild Semiconductor

Fairchild has a rich history as a pioneer in the semiconductor industry and that pioneering spirit endures today. In an era where – Read more

Fairchild Semiconductor Salaries