Fairchild Semiconductor

Fairchild Semiconductor United States Employee Reviews

Excellent Company
Oxide Etch Operator (Former Employee), West Valley, UTApril 30, 2015
Pros: Good community
Cons: Long hours
Excellent job training. Helpful supervisors. Co-workers were professional. Easy to work with Engineers. Relaxed and work focused environment. Hardest part was leaving.
Productive and adaptive organization
Sr. Application/Marketing Engineer (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COMarch 11, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Fairchild was an amazing company to work for. They did an amazing job allowing emploees to balance job vs family responsibilities. This type of oganization aided in higher productivity levels.
The company appears to be a state of confusion.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Irving, TXFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: payroll check does not bounce and benefits are comparable to industry.
Cons: lack of support by mgr. to help you achieve individual career goals.
A typical work day involves responding to eMails, looking at reports, many that have no clear purpose or value.

I have learned to service customers on my own and not to expect assistance from Management.

Management is not concerned with day to day challenges of the front line worker, CSR/Inside Sales, everything is top down.

My co-workers are knowledgeable of the tasks associated with the role of CSR/Inside sales, but they are not challenged to help drive strategy at accounts to assure success for customer and Fairchild.

The hardest part of the job is trying to give inputs to management and not be heard.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with field sales team and being a part of the high-tech industry.

The culture is very hierarchal, so employees are expected to do as they are told from their Mgr. Experience doesn't matter even if you have more experience than your Mgr. You are not given the opportunity to decide your future with the company, decisions are made for you.
Many changes in management creating uncertainy in direction
Staff Field Applications Engineer (Former Employee), IndianaFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: some good technology. good benefits.
Cons: poor managment.
Changes made by COO who has now been fired created significant turnover of personal and turmoil. Unsure business focus and technology.
Solid Company with advancement
Senior Business Analysis Manager (Former Employee), South Portland, MEFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: salary and benefits
Cons: work life balance has suffered
Company has a solid reputation in the industry. Benefits and salary are well above normal. World wide company with several locations.
Productive place to work
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee), South Portland, MEJanuary 27, 2015
working for manufacturing is great, I have enjoy working with Fairchild. Not only I get to learns some tools, I get the chance to work with machinery computerize that is. I have enjoy being around with such great people of different ethnic such as like me. Everyone in here is very friendly and outgoing.
Fairchild Semiconductor
4mil Operator (Current Employee), West Jordan, UTJanuary 25, 2015
I had a very good time working for this company. However, I would like a job with more security. Fairchild is closing down the West Jordan plant and I need to find a job before they close.
Good people, unclear future
Principal Applications and Definition Engineer (Former Employee), South Portland MaineJanuary 20, 2015
The company is filled with good people. Fairchild is undergoing big changes which is causing some pain for employees
Good company to gain experience
Fabrication Operator (Former Employee), South Portland, MEDecember 27, 2014
Pros: management, safety
Cons: pay, career advancement
With a premium on safety, they're a good company at least for me to establish a foundation to start my professional career. I enjoyed my time there.
Great Place until they lay you off
Electronic Technician (Former Employee), South Portland, MEDecember 9, 2014
Pros: learned a lot
Cons: got laid off
I really liked working there, I hated to get laid off. Some idiot in sales made a statement that they were number one in Asia or something like that then TI started giving there fairchild chips equivalent for free, what a fool.
Overall a great company which is going through a lot of change.
Director (Former Employee), San Jose, CANovember 21, 2014
Pros: exciting to be part of the changing culture
Cons: not a lot of divisional support from corporate
Fairchild is a company that is reinventing itself by investing more into new products to capture additional share. The design cycles are very fast, therefore, manufacturing is very challenged when products ramp. This created a very dynamic environment in supply chain which was challenging and rewarding.
Manufacturing first facility
Process Engineer (Former Employee), South Portland, MENovember 20, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers, decent pay for the area
Cons: poor work life balance, on-call 24/7
The Western Ave facility emphasizes throughput as it should as a manufacturing facility. However, this sometimes causes short term emergencies to take unnecessary precedent over big picture solutions. There is a small IT/IS department. That coupled with patched together home-grown and commercial systems make simple solutions much more complex than they should be. Often times the largest impediments to solutions are often logistical rather than technical which get tedious over time.
Total change from 10 years ago.
Sr Mgr Sales Operations (Former Employee), San Jose, CAOctober 10, 2014
Pros: they paid well.
Cons: no direction, no focus, no leadership
It's a shame to see a good US company being driven into the ground.
Good solid place to work
Manufacturing Support Technician (Former Employee), South Portland, MEOctober 10, 2014
Pros: incentive payouts
Cons: loss of us jobs to the asian job market
Good place to work with moderate advancement. I spent 27 years there. I was a proud worker and had a strong sense of loyalty to my former employer. My favorite aspect of my job was the interaction among my peers. Everyday tended to be a little different from the day before, and I found that stimulating.

I would recommend them to anyone, especially in the IS/IT areas!
Once Great Company
Employee (Current Employee), CaliforniaOctober 8, 2014
Fairchild offers ample opportunity and excellent compensation. The culture is not particularly conducive to work/life balance, but there is ample opportunity - high stress. Extreme volatility in management and job security. This was not always the case, but recent management changes have not resulted in a positive outcome for the workforce.
Great place to work but growth is limited
Engineering Technician (Current Employee), South Portland, MESeptember 28, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: limited growth potential
Operations have been moving to San Jose and Shanghai for years causing limited career growth potential.
Is this Fairchild or Maxim??
Engineering (Program) Manager (Current Employee), MultipleSeptember 16, 2014
This is a review of Fairchild as a company

Culture varies by Fairchild site/location - Management at the corporation level seems extremely micro-managing. Seems to be the new Maxim effect from the new COO. Culture at different sites is extremely different and depending on what part of the world (location) you are looking at the work environment is different as well. I hear the best manufacturing site to work at is Mountain Top and overall San Jose is the place you want to be at. As far as design, product and other functions seems like San Jose is the place to be. If you are not there bid your job good bye sooner or later.

Management - A lot of it!! I believe since the hiring of Vijay Ullal, COO; the company has hired more SVPs, VPs, Directors as well as made up job positions than most financial institutions (Citi apparently still has more VPs). Design, Product engineering and manufacturing seem to be extremely lean as far as management/employees.

What you learned: Some great people, intellectuals still work here. I have never seen a company where people have worked this long at and that is true for almost every location with in Fairchild within US and overseas.

Typical day - Write up a to do list to never have it completed. Very dynamic and ever changing based on the the flavor of the week from top management. But it seems to work... have you seen the stock price?? There are some good initiatives and some good movement towards better future no doubt but morale whether people like to say it or not is low. However, every day if you look at what is accomplished the efficiency is lacking just because of the dynamic nature of the work and the lean (extremely) environment.

Co-workers - Knowledgable, helpful and always friendly. There are always some bad apples in every company!

Most enjoyable part & the most hardest part - the intellectual people, daily problem solving and technology/innovation portions of the job - but thats all what keeps me here!
Awful management, promises never kept
Operator (Current Employee), West Jordan, UTJuly 10, 2014
Pros: different environment
Cons: never get hired on full time
A typical day starts at 7:00 PM. We come in after day shift, we get dressed in a bunny suit, head into the area you run. Day shift will give pass down telling us what work we have coming, if there is priority work we need to focus on, all that fun jazz. I work with furnaces so we push work through these furnaces for 12 hours. Some of the furnaces have maintenance/tests to make sure they are working properly so we have to run tests, push product and focus on hitting our numbers as a whole and per area. I learned that I am a hard worker. Sometimes it's annoying because the company doesn't deserve you to work hard if they aren't appreciating you and letting you know you're doing a good job. I love my co-workers. We bump heads but we're human. We have to deal to be around each other for 12 hours a day so it's a good environment that way. Right now, the hardest part of my job is training new people and running your own area. It's hard to slow down in a fast paced environment to break things down and hope they understand when you're talking 100 miles an hour. I feel that management is awful. I don't understand their thinking process. I disagree with them a lot especially someone who works fairly hard and not getting benefits/the pay I deserve for working my tail off. I am not full time employee which is ridiculous considering I've been there for so long. I do not receive bonuses or any of that but I get moved around to learn more and be an asset to the company.
Challenging high-tech workplace
Level 4 Test Operator (Former Employee), South Portland, MEJune 1, 2014
Pros: working independently, excellent benefits
Cons: no job security
A typical day included operating up to 12 computer based test systems designed to separate functional ICs' from non-functioning computer chips. Performing Dievis/QC on finished silicon wafers using high power microscopes to isolate any process defects, and completing shipments of finished silicon wafers to customers worldwide for final assembly. The most enjoyable aspects of the job was camaraderie among employees and working with cutting edge technology. The hardest part of the job was job security, layoffs were constant.
No advancement possible, stagnant environment, legacy management
Sr. Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee), South Portland, MEMay 8, 2014
A place to go to kill your career, but the people who work there are fantastic.

1 2 3

About Fairchild Semiconductor

Fairchild has a rich history as a pioneer in the semiconductor industry and that pioneering spirit endures today. In an era where – Read more