Fairchild Semiconductor Employee Reviews in United States

Outsource
Manufacturing Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTJanuary 5, 2016
The company made a business decision to outsource our products and send it over seas.

I worked twelve hour shifts working several different tool sets and machines. I learned teamwork, and cohesiveness. I built upon my problem solving skills.

The hardest part of the job was being up on my feet for twelve hours.

The most enjoyable part of my job was advancing the technology to better other peoples lives, and made strong connections with coworkers.
Pros
financial stability, great benefits, time off
Cons
management changes
Great benefits but high pressure environment
Program Manager/Staff Product Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Jordan, UTDecember 25, 2015
Fast paced, high pressure environment but great benefits and good pay. Provides good training and travel. Need to watch downturn, will not hesitate to shutdown factories or lay-off people.
Pros
career advancement, great benefits, provide training
Cons
long hours, high pressure
Fast paced, high tech, challenging enviroment
Sr, Maufacturing Engineeering Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 24, 2016
Fast paced, high tech, challenging environment, great benefits, and great co-workers. Company allowed people to grow and take on additional responsibilities within the organization.
24/7 Fabrication work
Fabrication Operator (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTNovember 17, 2015
24/7 Fabrication work with friendly employees. Employees operating various semiconductor equipment with some operations requiring hands-on detail processing and others semi-automatic requiring minimal hands-on operation. Working at a semiconductor company provides an on-the-job learning experience to any individual willing to strive with their career goals.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
A good place to learn and prepare for other opportunities.
Material Handler, Production Team Lead (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTSeptember 4, 2015
Fairchild provided a stable job with less ups and downs than most semiconductor companies. The job turnover was higher than most manufacturing companies. The benefits were above average and compensation reasonable. The site closed because of the high federal tax rate and the jobs moved overseas. There were a lot of good people who worked there and are now employed at other jobs.
Pros
Health Center, onsite cafeteria, stable work hours
Cons
Constant management turnover, high operator turnover, limited apportunities to advance
A great place while it was available.
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTMay 4, 2015
Fairchild has a lot of great technical work available. Most engineering positions have you doing several things with hands on work that keeps the position interesting. Everyone that worked around me were talented and very capable individuals. The direct management at the fab were decent for the most part and have been very helpful with moving people on since the announcement of the Salt Lake closure. It would have been a nice place to form a long career at but unfortunately it didn't last long enough to do so.
Pros
Great people, challenging work, decent compensation
Cons
Occasional long nights, closure of the site.
I enjoyed working in a remote office
Hewlett Packard Global Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasMay 12, 2015
The management was struggling to move Fairchild from a commodity based company to provide more value based solutions. This was a bold move for a venerable name in the semiconductor business. And one that ultimately did not work for them.

Unfortunately, Fairchild had to lay off more and more of it's work force in the mid-late 2000's and close many of it's North American foundries. The direction the management chose was disastrous for the company, the employees and me personally.
Pros
It was a good company, great benefits, wonderful growth programs.
Cons
Short sighted managemet that has moved all strategic vision to Asia.
Safest Place to work that I have ever worked for.
Fabrication Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTJune 14, 2016
Very safe oriented, had safety meeting and training every month, brought in safety people for O.S.H.A to train and teach us about safety, and safety situations.

Managers would listen you your problems, and world formulate a plane of action to investigate a safety issue, no matter how minor it may of been.

Very safe company to work for, in fact it was safer the some of the things we do at home.

Managers kept employees informed of everything form a new employee, to top management decisions.
A good place to work
IT Technician Level 3 (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJune 21, 2015
Fairchild is a good place to work with pretty good benefits.
Clean environment and good people to work with.
I worked different jobs throughout my time there which provided me with different challenges and goals to meet.
All and all, a good place to be.
Pros
Great supervisor, clean work environment, good people to work with.
Cons
Downsizing for years
Productivity, department cross training, great co-workers and management utilized each individual to the best of their potential.
Etch, Diffusion & Implant Operator, Full time (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MEFebruary 2, 2016
I have been with Fairchild for 7+ years now. I like that operators can cross train in different departments. Productivity changes daily and operators are challenged differently each day. My co-workers are easy and upbeat characters.
Pros
Some free snacks or sandwiches or pizza from time to time.
Cons
Very long days, standing on cement and steel flooring, and decline in pay.
The company appears to be a state of confusion.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 15, 2015
A typical work day involves responding to eMails, looking at reports, many that have no clear purpose or value.

I have learned to service customers on my own and not to expect assistance from Management.

Management is not concerned with day to day challenges of the front line worker, CSR/Inside Sales, everything is top down.

My co-workers are knowledgeable of the tasks associated with the role of CSR/Inside sales, but they are not challenged to help drive strategy at accounts to assure success for customer and Fairchild.

The hardest part of the job is trying to give inputs to management and not be heard.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with field sales team and being a part of the high-tech industry.

The culture is very hierarchal, so employees are expected to do as they are told from their Mgr. Experience doesn't matter even if you have more experience than your Mgr. You are not given the opportunity to decide your future with the company, decisions are made for you.
Pros
payroll check does not bounce and benefits are comparable to industry.
Cons
lack of support by mgr. to help you achieve individual career goals.
Good stable company
IT Remote Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEMay 31, 2015
Fairchild has gone through some changes and has emerged to remain a strong, solid company. There's plenty to do, lots of great people, many opportunities to challenge yourself and generous compensation.
Good people to work with
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEMay 18, 2016
Enjoyed individual people I worked with. Had good manager support. Had own small lab to test samples. Learned new equipment and tester language.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Hard to get engineering time on production systems
Good
Operator 3 (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTMay 5, 2015
Great benefits, great place to work. The people were wonderful. I could not have been more happy.

Long hours the company had great benefits.
Very nervous work place due to constant layoff.
Intellectual Property Technologist (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEDecember 30, 2015
Most days are over 8 hrs. due to the fact that it is short handed. I used the internet and microsoft office to do my work. I did freedom to operate reports as well as trying to invalidate patents of companies that were suing us.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Sometimes incorrect or incomplete direction was given.
Very professional group of people to work with.
Manufacturing Specialist MOS III (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTJuly 28, 2015
A excellent group of people from management to co-workers, all with the same vision and goal in mind to produce the best product for our customers in record cycle time.
There was always encouragement from management to co-workers to learn new processes to be more versatile thru out the fab.
The hardest part of the job was when equipment went down and parts had to be ordered in to fix the equipment, mean while the worked piled up at that tool.
Being able to learn new processes and the professionalism of the people training me made it enjoyable .to work for Fairchild.
Pros
The celebrations we received when goals were met.
Cons
Sometimes not having enough coverage for the equipment to keep running smoothly thru out the shift.
Challenging high-tech workplace
Level 4 Test Operator (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJune 1, 2014
A typical day included operating up to 12 computer based test systems designed to separate functional ICs' from non-functioning computer chips. Performing Dievis/QC on finished silicon wafers using high power microscopes to isolate any process defects, and completing shipments of finished silicon wafers to customers worldwide for final assembly. The most enjoyable aspects of the job was camaraderie among employees and working with cutting edge technology. The hardest part of the job was job security, layoffs were constant.
Pros
working independently, excellent benefits
Cons
no job security
Very stressful with too many changes
LA, CA. Major Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CASeptember 21, 2015
In my time there the company re organized six times. Too many changes. A VP that was brought in 2012 to reorg the company was let go in late 2013 and another group came in early 2014. There was a constant conflict between San Jose and Bucheon, ex Samsung location, in South Korea, that Fairchild purchased in 2003. There was no synergy between the product lines. The management also made a decision to close Mountaintop, PA, an automotive qualified facility/class B 883 and class S and move the operations to Bucheon. That lead to losing to ability to re create the original reliable products. Fairchild lost many customers and sockets because of this decision. Later the decision was reversed but by then the "horse" left the barn and some of the best employees left, looking for work elsewhere.
Fairchild had lots of good and knowledgeable employees and easy to work with. Hardest part was the insecurity that next re org your job maybe eliminated.
Working for a company with a good name recognition but as time went on that started to fade away. It became harder to design in un competitive products. The company just went through another down size/re org a couple of weeks ago.
Pros
Good company recognition. Fairchild was a pioneer in Silicon Valley
Cons
Losing the cometitive edge that they once had. Failed to keep up with the competition
Many changes in management creating uncertainy in direction
Staff Field Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 13, 2015
Changes made by COO who has now been fired created significant turnover of personal and turmoil. Unsure business focus and technology.
Pros
some good technology. good benefits.
Cons
poor managment.
Productive, flexible hour, fun environment to work it!
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  salt lake city, utOctober 12, 2015
It is a very productive, fast environment work. I learned to be patient, pay close attention to details. Co-workers were nice, willing to help with anything and teach their work, their know about and cooperate. I enjoyed the long break hours, since it was a night shift, I was able to take my break, drive back home to see my family a little bit and go back to work, ready to start, there is so much to learn on this place!! Always something new to discover. I loved it!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairchild Semiconductor. Our community is ready to answer.