Fairfax County Government

Fairfax County Government United States Employee Reviews

Great
Management Analyst (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMay 1, 2015
Very enjoyable and friendly work environment.Worked with ArcMap, Illustrator, and SAS. Able to work independently but managers provided guidance when needed.
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), FairfaxApril 4, 2015
Pros: Great work/life balance
Cons: Not much opportunity for advancement. Low pay for position.
Great work place to work. Everyone is treated respectfully. Supervision is friendly and helpful. Co-workers are friendly. Sometimes workload is sometimes overwhelming, but normally is just enough to keep steadily busy.
Opportunity for growth
Human Service Assistant II/III (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Work environment, co workers, opportunity for growth
Cons: Travel at the time
A good place to work if you are working towards higher opportunities.

I was promoted three times so it was reassuring that your talents are recognized and rewarded. They encourage learning new job functions to secure your employment.
Very Pleased
IT Specialist (Java Developer) (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 27, 2015
Very nice and friendly place to work. Secure job, good benefits.
The Chiefs of departments are very nice and friendly. If you do your job very well, you can definitely grow in this place.
Great benefits
Mental Health Therapist I/Case Manager (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: High stress positions
The company has great benefits, yet the tasks are mainly paperwork based and often the clients do not receive all of the services needed due to so many changes created by DMAS and so many trainings the staff must attend instead of helping clients.
Great Experience
Strategic Planning Analyst / Process Improvement (Former Employee), Fairfax County VAMarch 11, 2015
Worked with men and women from various skill sets and backgrounds to conceptualize, create, and execute various IT related projects.
Budget and Quarterly reviews
Management Analyst (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: great benifits
Cons: too short
Under the general guidance of the Management Analyst III this position assist in the development and implementation of Accounting procedures associated with the Agency’s financial activities and records; assists in the preparation and compilation of the Agency Budget and Quarterly reviews;
Casual atmosphere to work inside or out
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: promotion and training
Cons: long hours
A great place to work with supportive co-workers and management who supportive all ideas and opportunity to grow within the County.

Days were fulfilled with supporting all employee in regard to HR issue, payroll questions and training available.
Providing support for for Youths in residential treatment
Substance Abuse Counselor II (Former Employee), Kingstowne, VAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free breakfast, lunch and dinner. all shows and events were free to staff
Cons: long hours, had to work holidays and every other weekend
Working with young ( 14 to 18 years of age) men who have been mandated by the courts to complete a long term residential treatment program was challenging. Often time these young men were in gangs and it was easier for them to surrender to treatment to address their substance abuse/of dependence as oppose to leaving their gang family. I learned so how about myself during the nine years that I worked as a substance abuse counselor for Fairfax County/ Drugs and Alcohol Services. I was comfortable giving these young men direction and supervision and willing to always hold them accountable for their behaviors. Since the program was an eighteen month program, I was able to really get to know the young men and their families that were on my caseload. When I started at Crossroads Youth Program, I was hired as a Substance Abuse Counselor I, which primarily focused on providing direct care coverage. ( Escorting them to and from appointments outside the facility, overseeing meals and supervising all of their free time. After 18 months I was promoted to Substance Abuse Counselor II, which was a clinical position. I was now responsible for team planning, medication management, completing court reports quarterly and participating in Clinical team meetings to present my clients for movement from one level to the next. I really enjoyed my job and it gave me a sense of fulfillment.
Personnel Advancement
Network/Telecommunications Analyst IV (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 25, 2015
There is no upward ability to advance.
County depends primarily on its contractors to perform most technical functions.
Good jurisdiction to work for
Communications Specialist (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 11, 2015
Always looking to be on the cutting edge, Fairfax County is a good jurisdiction to work for with many opportunities to expose yourself to new and interesting projects. Directors and agency heads are accessible and very good at what they do. Very team oriented environment.
Stressful Position
Administrative Assistant Two (Former Employee), Fairfax, VaNovember 23, 2014
Twenty eight years performing Electrical Inspections on all types of both large and small Commercial structures to ensure compliance with the state-wide Electrical and OSHA standards and codes. Performed special Inspections to include Fire and Damage emergencies and after hour scheduled and unscheduled Inspections. Respond to citizen inquiries concerning damage and investigations for code compliance. Prepares daily logs to include travel information, deficiencies and compliance on permitted and unpermitted inspections and the findings of investigations and complaints.
Its good
Manager and Team Lead (Current Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 15, 2014
I'm definitely looking to move on and start doing something challenging, where I can utilize my skills and abilities in a productive and profitable way and make a difference
Knowledgable and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee), Lorton, VASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: time and entry is self managed, co-workers are friendly, awards are given, training classes are offered.
Cons: management does not always communicate well
A typical day at work consists of receiving and sending mail to the proper branch managers. Procure items using the Agency's P-cards verifying receipts with invoices. Create simply spreadsheets for the three agency's to keep filing records. Obtain signature from branch managers and reconcile financial documents. The hardest part of the job is receiving all backups for transactions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of getting work done daily and seeing numbers match invoices. Also interacting with co-workers who take pride in their job. I have learned how to be a better communicate in a professional work environment and to value all opinions and ideas of others. Management is friendly but lacking in management skills as far as training new hires, communicating projects, and following up on projects. I enjoy the work environment at Fairfax however opportunities for advancement are very competitive.
Computer Consultant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 2, 2014
Very fun job and it was interesting to work around there. I learned alot of new things and enjoyed my time there
Productive and Fun
Rec 1 & Therapeutic Rec Leader (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAAugust 1, 2014
Pros: great experience with children or people with special needs; friendly working environment
Cons: staff members could sometimes be immature, leading to clique-like groups. participant's tantrums potentially harmful to staff and participants.
In the Therapeutic Rec Services (later became Neighborhood and Community Services), the working environment was dedicated to the stimulation and advancement of the participants that we were charged with caring for. Summer programs were hectic and fast paces, but the friendly working environment made for a supportive group of coworkers that helped each other out in bad situations. Daily activities and events were planned on a weekly basis by the Rec 2 (later became "TR Leader"), and plans were carried out and led by staff members (Rec 1s and 2s). Any problems arising from a participant's behavioral or other issues needed to be handled delicately and quickly by staff members, because a participant's tantrums could potentially harm themselves, other participants, and/or staff members. The Quality Assurance and the Rec 3 would develop a plan to ensure the issues were taken care of. These issues would occur occasionally due to the behaviors of some participants, but would usually be handled appropriately to keep issues from disrupting or harming the other participants.

The hardest aspect of the job comes from staff members. Since most of the staff were between the ages of 16 and 30, drama would sometimes cause discomfort between staff members. I do not mean to say that any staff members were emotionally damaged by cruel psychological "attacks," but that the immaturity of staff members and interactions taking place outside of work usually lead to uncomfortable working conditions. However, in my experience, staff members had to rely on each other, and almost always put any awkwardness behind them to achieve the goal of providing a fun and safe place for participants to socialize in.
Gain some experience
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJuly 3, 2014
Pros: enjoyed working with children
Cons: need more schooling
I learned a lot about working with school age children in a summer camp program
enjoyed working with police and public face to face
Police Citizen Aide (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMay 26, 2014
enjoyed working with my police shift and dealing with the public face to face
Productive workplace with supportive managers and feeling of teamwork.
Administrative Officer III (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 12, 2014
I get to my workplace 5 to 10 minutes before 8am so I can greet everyone at the office and do a quick review of what I have to do during the day. I've learned how to process applications for seniors and disabled people so I can help them get relief on taxes. My supervisors support and help me with all my tasks, specially new ones. My co-workers are around my age so we talk about things alike and they are very helpful when I have a question about anything I don't know how to manage. The hardest part of the job is to make sure our visitors understand our policies, since sometimes they have trouble hearing or getting the message. The most enjoyable part of the job is to look back at the work you do one day and be proud of it, knowing that you counted with the help of a lot teammates.
It was a great learning tool and stepping stone into working for a form of government rather its local, state or federal.
Scan Technician (Former Employee), Penino BuildingMarch 10, 2014
My typical day at work was reviewing and scanning case files for the social workers. I learned the various types of documentation that came with the Family Services and Social Services Department. The management was very good, I had a great relationship with my co-workers and supervisors, and they were very helpful when I needed them. The hardest part of the job was the numerous amount of files and the tedious amount at times and its very repetitive. The most enjoyable part to me would just be the overall experience I took from everything.

Fairfax County Government Salaries