Fairfax County Government

Fairfax County Government Employer Reviews

Personnel Advancement
Network/Telecommunications Analyst IV (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 25, 2015
There is no upward ability to advance.
County depends primarily on its contractors to perform most technical functions.
Good jurisdiction to work for
Communications Specialist (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 11, 2015
Always looking to be on the cutting edge, Fairfax County is a good jurisdiction to work for with many opportunities to expose yourself to new and interesting projects. Directors and agency heads are accessible and very good at what they do. Very team oriented environment.
Stressful Position
Administrative Assistant Two (Former Employee), Fairfax, VaNovember 23, 2014
Twenty eight years performing Electrical Inspections on all types of both large and small Commercial structures to ensure compliance with the state-wide Electrical and OSHA standards and codes. Performed special Inspections to include Fire and Damage emergencies and after hour scheduled and unscheduled Inspections. Respond to citizen inquiries concerning damage and investigations for code compliance. Prepares daily logs to include travel information, deficiencies and compliance on permitted and unpermitted inspections and the findings of investigations and complaints.
Its good
Manager and Team Lead (Current Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 15, 2014
I'm definitely looking to move on and start doing something challenging, where I can utilize my skills and abilities in a productive and profitable way and make a difference
Computer Consultant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 2, 2014
Very fun job and it was interesting to work around there. I learned alot of new things and enjoyed my time there
Productive and Fun
Rec 1 & Therapeutic Rec Leader (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAAugust 1, 2014
Pros: great experience with children or people with special needs; friendly working environment
Cons: staff members could sometimes be immature, leading to clique-like groups. participant's tantrums potentially harmful to staff and participants.
In the Therapeutic Rec Services (later became Neighborhood and Community Services), the working environment was dedicated to the stimulation and advancement of the participants that we were charged with caring for. Summer programs were hectic and fast paces, but the friendly working environment made for a supportive group of coworkers that helped each other out in bad situations. Daily activities and events were planned on a weekly basis by the Rec 2 (later became "TR Leader"), and plans were carried out and led by staff members (Rec 1s and 2s). Any problems arising from a participant's behavioral or other issues needed to be handled delicately and quickly by staff members, because a participant's tantrums could potentially harm themselves, other participants, and/or staff members. The Quality Assurance and the Rec 3 would develop a plan to ensure the issues were taken care of. These issues would occur occasionally due to the behaviors of some participants, but would usually be handled appropriately to keep issues from disrupting or harming the other participants.

The hardest aspect of the job comes from staff members. Since most of the staff were between the ages of 16 and 30, drama would sometimes cause discomfort between staff members. I do not mean to say that any staff members were emotionally damaged by cruel psychological "attacks," but that the immaturity of staff members and interactions taking place outside of work usually lead to uncomfortable working conditions. However, in my experience, staff members had to rely on each other, and almost always put any awkwardness behind them to achieve the goal of providing a fun and safe place for participants to socialize in.
Gain some experience
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJuly 3, 2014
Pros: enjoyed working with children
Cons: need more schooling
I learned a lot about working with school age children in a summer camp program
enjoyed working with police and public face to face
Police Citizen Aide (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMay 26, 2014
enjoyed working with my police shift and dealing with the public face to face
Productive workplace with supportive managers and feeling of teamwork.
Administrative Officer III (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 12, 2014
I get to my workplace 5 to 10 minutes before 8am so I can greet everyone at the office and do a quick review of what I have to do during the day. I've learned how to process applications for seniors and disabled people so I can help them get relief on taxes. My supervisors support and help me with all my tasks, specially new ones. My co-workers are around my age so we talk about things alike and they are very helpful when I have a question about anything I don't know how to manage. The hardest part of the job is to make sure our visitors understand our policies, since sometimes they have trouble hearing or getting the message. The most enjoyable part of the job is to look back at the work you do one day and be proud of it, knowing that you counted with the help of a lot teammates.
It was a great learning tool and stepping stone into working for a form of government rather its local, state or federal.
Scan Technician (Former Employee), Penino BuildingMarch 10, 2014
My typical day at work was reviewing and scanning case files for the social workers. I learned the various types of documentation that came with the Family Services and Social Services Department. The management was very good, I had a great relationship with my co-workers and supervisors, and they were very helpful when I needed them. The hardest part of the job was the numerous amount of files and the tedious amount at times and its very repetitive. The most enjoyable part to me would just be the overall experience I took from everything.
Home and Worklife Balance
AAIII (Current Employee), Fairfax, VirginiaFebruary 3, 2014
Flexible schedules, great office environment, co-workers that are willing to help. Involvement in the community, time to further education by taking free county classes
Its a good entity to work for if you're looking to retire
Manager and Team Lead (Current Employee), Fairfax, VirginiaDecember 10, 2013
. My typical day at work is busy and productive
. I have learned a lot about providing exceptional customer service and also managing the activities and time
. Management is great
. The team that I work with is hard working and productive and they are all great team players
productive work place. fun and live
Tax Administrator (Former Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 10, 2013
explain the billing process to tax payers, and genertate personal property tax bills.
Loved working as an emergency medical technician and firefighter
Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee), Fairfax, VANovember 4, 2013
Pros: rewarding job, helping others. overtime available.
Cons: 24 hours shifts away from home.
Highly trained, very professional personnel. Close knit group on my shift, like family. Enjoyed every minute at work. Very lucky captain knew me and requested I be assigned to his station in Annandale, which was very busy. Immensely rewarding to arrive on the scene of an emergency and know what to do to help people through their crisis. Also very satisfying to be employed by one of the most prestigious fire departments in the nation. Most difficult part of the job was fire suppression training.
Great work place
Engineer Technician III - Construction Mgt. Div. (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAAugust 5, 2013
Great hours
All aspects of construction management
ok co workers
N/A
Learn something new everyday
Productive and progressive work environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJune 23, 2013
Pros: pleasant, professional work environment
Cons: class bridging
A typical work day is fun, yet productive. A very diverse work environment with strong yet flexible management. Co-workers are wonderful, knowledgeable, and helpful people. The hardest part of the job is sometimes adjusting to the constant procedure changes. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with co-workers and management, also the staff recognition, and appreciation functions.
Parent Education
Family Support Worker (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 18, 2013
My typical day as a Parent Educator was to provide information to parents in the area of parenting skills along with the use of hands on strategies such as child play and age appropriate toys to enhance gross, social, and motor skills as means of preparing the child for school readiness. My co-works and I worked as team players in addition to brainstorming ideas to best meet the needs of the family. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing results during each visit and the hardest part of the job was seeing the family exit the program once they were no longer eligible to receive services.
Park Authority
Basic computer work and data entry (Former Employee), Springfield, VAJune 11, 2013
• Assisted customers and tourist visiting the park
• Basic computer work and data entry
• Clerical work within the Park office
• Operating tour boat and acting as a guide to tourist through the Park
• Worked with Microsoft Office application Word and Excel spreadsheet
Nice place to work
Customer Service Specialist/Help Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMay 3, 2013
Pros: incentives, co-workers
Cons: i stayed too short to make a determination.
Great co-workers and Team Spirit. Great Atmosphere. Stayed too short as I was contracted for 10 months only.
Hello
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Fairfax,VAApril 29, 2013
Ok place to work but with all the budget cuts there isn't much room for advancement or for a raise.