Fairfax County Government

Fairfax County Government Employee Reviews

Overall productive workplace
Office of the County Attorney (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJune 15, 2015
Typical day at work is covering any and all administrative duties for all attorneys within the office. I am the go-to person for tasks paralegals need help with as well.
Lots of room for advancement
Assistant Director South County Teen Center (Current Employee), Alexandria, VaJune 15, 2015
They promote leadership from within and encourage employees to seek advancement as far as they want. Supervisors will back you up in a tight situation with the public. They won't throw you under the bus.
Excellent county government
Mental Health Therapist/Case Manager (Retired) (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMay 15, 2015
I enjoyed my career with Fairfax County Government CSB. It allowed me to use my education and skills to make a positive difference in community based client's lives for many years.
Productive space to work
Family Services Logistics Specialist (Current Employee), Annandale, VAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Great office space.
Cons: Benefits
A typical day in the office consist of data entry, mail runs when needed, processing SNAP cases. Helping clients with medicade applications.
Great
Management Analyst (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMay 1, 2015
Very enjoyable and friendly work environment.Worked with ArcMap, Illustrator, and SAS. Able to work independently but managers provided guidance when needed.
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), FairfaxApril 4, 2015
Pros: Great work/life balance
Cons: Not much opportunity for advancement. Low pay for position.
Great work place to work. Everyone is treated respectfully. Supervision is friendly and helpful. Co-workers are friendly. Sometimes workload is sometimes overwhelming, but normally is just enough to keep steadily busy.
Opportunity for growth
Human Service Assistant II/III (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Work environment, co workers, opportunity for growth
Cons: Travel at the time
A good place to work if you are working towards higher opportunities.

I was promoted three times so it was reassuring that your talents are recognized and rewarded. They encourage learning new job functions to secure your employment.
Very Pleased
IT Specialist (Java Developer) (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 27, 2015
Very nice and friendly place to work. Secure job, good benefits.
The Chiefs of departments are very nice and friendly. If you do your job very well, you can definitely grow in this place.
Great benefits
Mental Health Therapist I/Case Manager (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: High stress positions
The company has great benefits, yet the tasks are mainly paperwork based and often the clients do not receive all of the services needed due to so many changes created by DMAS and so many trainings the staff must attend instead of helping clients.
Great Experience
Strategic Planning Analyst / Process Improvement (Former Employee), Fairfax County VAMarch 11, 2015
Worked with men and women from various skill sets and backgrounds to conceptualize, create, and execute various IT related projects.
Reasonable Compensation with a dynamic collection of employees
Age Childcare - Teacher 1 (Current Employee), Reston,VAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: relaxed work environment
Cons: lack of advancement opportunities
A typical day at work includes interacting with children before and after school. This could range from a simple card game to a full fledged arts & crafts project. When the children enter & leave the room they are accounted for. Communication between staff members is done verbally via face-to-face conversation and walkie-talkie. Planning time occurs while the children are in class. This is the time where e-mails, messages & phone calls are handled. There are also meetings or workshops that focus on quality assurance of the program. Development of projects, decorating of the room & researching topics all take place while the children are not present.

I have learned that teamwork is essential in before and after school programs. The tone of the environment can be based off the connection between the staff. If the staff work together and are aware of their individual roles, collectively they can create an engaging and inviting experience. The relationship with parents is also extremely important. They need to be reassured that what they are spending equates to what their child is receiving. Inter-site relations should be established so that if there are shortages of people or resources, they can receive support from other sites in the program.

My co-workers both offer something different to the program which I believe creates a balanced dynamic. Management is very hands on & involved throughout the day. My direct supervisor is open to discussions and offers constructive criticism often. The hardest part of my job is not being able to serve in the leadership position. Although I believe support staff is equally important, I feel that I have the ability to effectively delegate and can serve as an excellent representation of the program. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the children excited & engaged in the program. It is fulfilling to see hard work pay off and to see smiles on their faces.
Budget and Quarterly reviews
Management Analyst (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: great benifits
Cons: too short
Under the general guidance of the Management Analyst III this position assist in the development and implementation of Accounting procedures associated with the Agency’s financial activities and records; assists in the preparation and compilation of the Agency Budget and Quarterly reviews;
Casual atmosphere to work inside or out
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: promotion and training
Cons: long hours
A great place to work with supportive co-workers and management who supportive all ideas and opportunity to grow within the County.

Days were fulfilled with supporting all employee in regard to HR issue, payroll questions and training available.
Providing support for for Youths in residential treatment
Substance Abuse Counselor II (Former Employee), Kingstowne, VAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free breakfast, lunch and dinner. all shows and events were free to staff
Cons: long hours, had to work holidays and every other weekend
Working with young ( 14 to 18 years of age) men who have been mandated by the courts to complete a long term residential treatment program was challenging. Often time these young men were in gangs and it was easier for them to surrender to treatment to address their substance abuse/of dependence as oppose to leaving their gang family. I learned so how about myself during the nine years that I worked as a substance abuse counselor for Fairfax County/ Drugs and Alcohol Services. I was comfortable giving these young men direction and supervision and willing to always hold them accountable for their behaviors. Since the program was an eighteen month program, I was able to really get to know the young men and their families that were on my caseload. When I started at Crossroads Youth Program, I was hired as a Substance Abuse Counselor I, which primarily focused on providing direct care coverage. ( Escorting them to and from appointments outside the facility, overseeing meals and supervising all of their free time. After 18 months I was promoted to Substance Abuse Counselor II, which was a clinical position. I was now responsible for team planning, medication management, completing court reports quarterly and participating in Clinical team meetings to present my clients for movement from one level to the next. I really enjoyed my job and it gave me a sense of fulfillment.
Personnel Advancement
Network/Telecommunications Analyst IV (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 25, 2015
There is no upward ability to advance.
County depends primarily on its contractors to perform most technical functions.
Good jurisdiction to work for
Communications Specialist (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 11, 2015
Always looking to be on the cutting edge, Fairfax County is a good jurisdiction to work for with many opportunities to expose yourself to new and interesting projects. Directors and agency heads are accessible and very good at what they do. Very team oriented environment.
Stressful Position
Administrative Assistant Two (Former Employee), Fairfax, VaNovember 23, 2014
Twenty eight years performing Electrical Inspections on all types of both large and small Commercial structures to ensure compliance with the state-wide Electrical and OSHA standards and codes. Performed special Inspections to include Fire and Damage emergencies and after hour scheduled and unscheduled Inspections. Respond to citizen inquiries concerning damage and investigations for code compliance. Prepares daily logs to include travel information, deficiencies and compliance on permitted and unpermitted inspections and the findings of investigations and complaints.
Its good
Manager and Team Lead (Current Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 15, 2014
I'm definitely looking to move on and start doing something challenging, where I can utilize my skills and abilities in a productive and profitable way and make a difference
Knowledgable and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee), Lorton, VASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: time and entry is self managed, co-workers are friendly, awards are given, training classes are offered.
Cons: management does not always communicate well
A typical day at work consists of receiving and sending mail to the proper branch managers. Procure items using the Agency's P-cards verifying receipts with invoices. Create simply spreadsheets for the three agency's to keep filing records. Obtain signature from branch managers and reconcile financial documents. The hardest part of the job is receiving all backups for transactions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of getting work done daily and seeing numbers match invoices. Also interacting with co-workers who take pride in their job. I have learned how to be a better communicate in a professional work environment and to value all opinions and ideas of others. Management is friendly but lacking in management skills as far as training new hires, communicating projects, and following up on projects. I enjoy the work environment at Fairfax however opportunities for advancement are very competitive.
Computer Consultant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 2, 2014
Very fun job and it was interesting to work around there. I learned alot of new things and enjoyed my time there

1 2 3