Fairfax County Public Schools

Fairfax County Public Schools United States Employee Reviews

If you are in transition, this is the job for you.
Substitute Teacher-Fairfax County, VA (Former Employee), Fairfax County, VAApril 13, 2015
If you are in a career transition and you love students, this is a job for you. You can work whenever you want to. If you are scheduled to work at a school and life alters your plans, you can cancel, just as long as you give the school and or the Sub Finder system a timely notice.
Fun place to work, can be stressful at times
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), West Springfield, VAMarch 27, 2015
Pros: You can bring your children on bus
Cons: middle school age children will definitely test you
Absolutely loved it...
You have to be a morning person your day starts pretty early. A typical work day would include pre-tripping your bus, running an assigned route, cleaning/fueling your bus. You would then take a break and continue your run. After your runs you would park your bus and complete a post trip. Everyone their is very friendly and will do their best to help you succeed.
A good strong family of teachers
Mathematics and Science Teacher (Current Employee), Annandale, VAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: commute
There is a strong bond between the teachers within this system. You will love the students, too. You will feel so rewarded when you see the AHA moments on your students' faces. Very rewarding.
Great company to work for
Substitute Teacher/Tutor (Current Employee), VAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: flexibility, compensation, self-managed
Cons: lack of benefits, late notice, inconsistant, lack of recognition
If you are doing everything right, you will have plenty of opportunities to work. Great pay and flexibility. The schools may vary but its easy to fall in love with the kids.
Taking care of students and being responsible
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Fairfax CountyMarch 2, 2015
The day varies from school to school and from grade to grade. I enjoy teaching the higher level stands because they are well behaved and more responsible. The lower elementary children have a hard time listening and are a bit more energetic so I feel more drained because it is more responsibility.
Growing County - Shrinking Budget
Choral Arts Director (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: teaching awesome students everyday and watching them succeed
Cons: pay, benefits, hours, meetings, more meetings, job security is a question every year.
I usually arrive to work around 6:30 AM. I usually leave around 5:30 if I'm lucky. At least once a week I'm there until 8:00 PM. Other times I'm there until 9 or 10. I have about 15 minutes for lunch which I take every day hunkered over my computer fielding a dozen or so emails before my next class. I'm lucky because I love my co-worker's and my principals. I know that this is not necessarily common. Hardest part of the job is the incredibly long hours I have to put in to get a never ending to-do list checked off. Weekends are the only time I actually have to plan for teaching in the class. I know it seems impossible, but there is literally so much pencil pushing bureaucratic CYA paper work and meetings and meetings and meetings, that there is never time to actually grade or plan for the class. Also, I haven't netted a pay increase since I started 5 years ago. Lastly, as soon as I got the job I felt like I immediately had to fight to keep it. Recruitment and retention and keeping class numbers up, and teacher assessment.
Diverse district (12th largest in the country) in an exciting location
teacher (Current Employee), VAFebruary 20, 2015
It is all about the kids and the community. The schools and clientele are diverse and the demographics are ever-shifting.
Fairfax County
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), McLean, VaFebruary 11, 2015
i worked with kids that has learning disabilities and autism. I monitor them and make sure they stay on task. I've learned that most of the kids are very bright.
Great place to begiin your career!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Fairfax, VaJanuary 26, 2015
I enjoyed the team environment very much here. Teachers are friendly. Staff are friendly. Really, there's a lot of opportunity in this massive county. I don't think that they are at all as cutting edge as they claim to be, or think they are, but it's a great diving board.
Pretty good workplace
Bus attendant (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: long breaks.
Cons: long breaks.
I enjoyed working there for 3 years. 4 hour long break everyday.
Good Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Falls Church, VADecember 30, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: hard to get promoted
Difficult to get ahead; doesnt' matter how well you know you job; it is who you know to get ahead.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute School Teacher (Former Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 11, 2014
Pros: being fully engaged with the students in the elementary school setting
Cons: not enough consistency
I am a substitute so I do not receive any benefits. The job is an on-call basis. I was able to work probably 3-4 days a week. There are possibilities to work on a long term job. They are usually special requests by the actual district.
I usually will work with the special needs elementary school students. I would help with life skills and listening skills.
Fairfax Public Schools
Multilingual Registrar (Current Employee), Fairfax, VANovember 18, 2014
Large Spanish speaking population
administration works deligently
scheduling with families
Great school to coach for.
Head Junior Varsity Boys Lacrosse Coach (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAOctober 9, 2014
This is a great school to coach at. Great AD in Nancy Melnick and great facilities.
I loved working their all the athletes were great
Athletic trainer (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: good continue education
Cons: i had to communted in heavy traffic
I have a lot of self satisfaction working with all the people
Rewarding job in happy environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Kent Gardens' ElementaryOctober 7, 2014
Pros: helping people whether it was teacher or student
Cons: not having a certification and being able to earn my salary potential
My day would start off as a substitute from either Kindergarden, 6th grade or Physical Education. I learned that I really enjoy working with the older children when it came to full day instruction and younger children on shorter classroom assignments. I felt everyone was always helpful and I learned alot from all the teachers and assistants. The hardest part of the day was when you couldn't get a child to understand the task at hand. I enjoyed watching kids learning and understanding concepts in any situation.
Multi-Cultural
Substitute Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAOctober 3, 2014
Pros: the helpful staff
Cons: sometimes school maps are not accurate.
Working at a Junior High or High School level can be demanding, with the constant rush of students in the hallways, although there is less physical labor with students in that age range. Working at a elementary school level has more physical labor but it is a rewarding job. The teachers and other instructional assistants are more than helpful with locating classrooms as well as lunch rooms.
Fun place to work, very diverse.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 25, 2014
I liked working at Fairfax County Public Schools mainly because it was very diverse and I felt like I belonged. My co-workers were easy to work with though not all of them but most of them. The most enjoyable part was working with the children, they were very friendly and eager to learn, made my work so worthwhile. The hardest part of the job was going to different schools each day.
awesome learned a LOT
Buyer Assistant III (Buyer Assistant I/II/III) (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAAugust 26, 2014
great company and Im just now typing more words cause errors are appearing. Its a great company to work for
Fast paced school district job
Bus Attendant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAAugust 12, 2014
Pros: summers off
Cons: no communication, no advancement
Child safety comes first, nothing else matters. No communication between supervisors and employees. Time off requests go UN-noticed and forgotten, benefits package overly expensive. No communication. No opportunity for advancement

1 2 3 4 5

About Fairfax County Public Schools

Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS), located in Northern Virginia, is the nation’s 10th largest public school system, serving – Read more

Fairfax County Public Schools Salaries