Fairfax County Public Schools Employee Reviews

fairfax County publis schools
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  All scoolsFebruary 17, 2017
I love working with and helping children. I mostly worked in Autism classrooms. I get a feeling of joy knowing that I am helping others.
Pros
you got a good feeling
Cons
it was tiring
Very professional with outstanding resources and pay.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 10, 2017
Wonderful school system! Cannot say anything bad! Everyone was inviting, collaborative, open-minded, and willing to help the students in any way. I enjoyed working there. The best quality school system I have seen in my 10 years teaching. I am so happy with FCPS but sad I had to move. Top teachers, admin, etc. who follow the law, and truly are real about issues and try to overcome anything together.
Pros
Great pay.
Cons
May be too large.
Great organization to work for
Senior Field Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 1, 2017
FCPS was a great place to work. Had lots of educational opportunities and advancement possibilities. Wonderful team work and associates
Excellent public school system
Teacher, English for Speakers of Other Languages (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 30, 2017
This is a great school system with dedicated employees. It is a very rewarding place to work and filled with many opportunities.
Pros
Changing lives of children for the better.
Cons
Extremely long hours for dedicated professionals.
Great School to work at.
Public Health Training Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at work for me is interacting with the kids throughout the building.

Taking notes for my one on one, reading questions for him for tests. Making sure all of his needs are taking care of.
Good, friendly people to work with
Student Information Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 26, 2017
I answer phones and emails from parents, staff and administration. I update children's information, enter all the registration information into our county computer program and am in charge of files, pictures and yearbook.
Pros
Free Lunch, Snow days, Christmas break, Spring break
Cons
30 minute lunches and being overworked and short staffed.
taking the kids to school and make sure they get there safely.
Attendant (Current Employee) –  transportation offeJanuary 19, 2017
i learned how to deal or to treat the parent and their children
you have manage your time wisely
work with team do your job the best way you can
we deal with one of the parent who like to call the offer if you came a minute later than you time sand same times there is traffic make you late and we finally get through her and make her under stand that we do our best to bring her kid home safe.
been with the children that needs your help.
My position at FCPS
Homebound Teacher (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 19, 2017
Homebound teaching is very rewarding and less challenging than classroom teaching. Working as a homebound teacher allows me more time to spend with my elderly parents.

I have worked for other school systems. I have enjoyed aspects of them all, but overall, FCPS is my favorite.
Pros
professional organization
Cons
not enough work at the moment
A good place to teach
IA (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 18, 2017
Most enjoyable part was working with the kids and collaborating with other teachers. The hardest part of the job was getting some kids motivated. Working one-on-one with kids was a highlight of the job. Safety concerns were an important part of the job for some kids.
Pros
short breaks, early hours
Cons
lower pay
Excellent opportunity
Parent Liaison (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAJanuary 14, 2017
These are positions without any benefit and with few hours, is a position that helps you have access to know more resources that help the community you are the connection of many roads that is why it would be necessary more hours of work.
Pros
good environment
Cons
few hours
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 13, 2017
Taught at numerous schools and all in all the Fairfax County school system is the best I have been a part of. Benefits were great! School was great.
A great job if you like working with children
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 11, 2017
Fairfax County Public Schools is an awesome place to work. You have the opportunity to work with children of all ages. The most enjoyable part of the job is the bond that you build with your students, their parents and co-workers. You have the opportunity to advance. The job is sweet if you like working outdoors. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the low pay. The pay rate is not bad but, you don't get the hours. It's like having a part-time job.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Not enough hours
a job with great benefits
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VADecember 31, 2016
Checking out the bus is first on the list making sure it is safe to operate. First of all I got must class B license from the Fairfax County. I knew nothing about a large vehicle and was very green. They were very patient with me because of that I receive my class B endorsement. I learned a lot about pivot and tail swing and with that you could figure out how to maneuver large vehicles. Some workers were good and some bad. The most enjoyable part of the jobs were interacting with the kids.I had good kids
Pros
great benefits
Cons
pay
Fun workplace
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 29, 2016
Welcoming staff always professional and mindful, they always were generous and ensured to put students above all. It helped make it an easy comforting transition in the summers for the children to be there because they always felt welcome.
It's good to work with county
Virginia (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 28, 2016
County not pay much to meets family you have to work more then they pay I never understood if you're teacher asst.you get less pay but you have plan for teacher why asst. Have make plans teacher get more pay .
Pros
N/a
Good
Friendly working environment
CUSTODIAN (Current Employee) –  Fairfax County, VADecember 18, 2016
There is no job that is easy to do, the opportunity given to workers to train on the job, will help you do the job very easily, and FCPS gives that opportunity to workers. The Kids, the workmates and the administrative staff are wonderful,
Productive and fun
Social Studies/Etiquette Teacher/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 16, 2016
I truly enjoyed the experience of working for Fairfax County. I had an opportunity to teach at the number one school in the Nation, Thomas Jefferson Science and Technology.
Pros
Rich academia
Cons
Bias
Productive Place to work
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VADecember 13, 2016
I enjoyed working at Fairfax County Public schools, the typical day was assisting faculty and staff with any IT related issues that they might have during the school day.
I love working here!
HVES-Kindergarten Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 12, 2016
Working in a school environment has been one of my dreams. I really like working with five year olds, they are really interesting students at this age. Learning new things everyday and having so many questions all the time. There is an awesome team of kindergarten teachers that work with us, and they're so great to work with!
Excellent workplace
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 28, 2016
Benefits were excellent as was the support provided. The training was good too and the team spirit was helpful. I enjoyed working at the school.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3