Fairfax County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Security
Football Coach, Basketball, Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 13, 2017
The one positive about FCPS is the job security, but there is not much flexibility with your pay. There are pay steps, that everyone must abide by no matter how many hours your work, or how successful you are within your job.
Benefits
Cons
Financial Growth
Ia
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 12, 2017
You work alongside teachers and administrators to provide education usually in special education classrooms with children with learning disabilities and emotional disabilities.
Great Work Place
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VADecember 10, 2017
It was great working for FCPS. Very collaborative work environment. All the teachers work to meet the needs of their students. Very supportive administrators.
Productive and fun place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VADecember 1, 2017
Wonderful place to work. I learned time management skills. Being around children is always stress relieving. Very cooperative and supportive staff members.
Informative
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 28, 2017
I have been with the school system for over 15 years. There is great opportunity to excel in your career. The climate of the system is pretty good as well.
A good job
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 24, 2017
This is a good job for a busy person, because you can work on days you want to work by calling into a phone system. On days that you don't want to work, you just don't call.
Overall very good
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Fairfax public schoolNovember 24, 2017
Will
Faifax county public school
A best place for work.
Very nice working relationship
Nice people.
All way ready for any one need help.
You got paid for your time.
Lead English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 8, 2017
Fairfax County Public Schools is a good institution to work for because of the flexibility of the schedule, the variety of locations to work, the opportunity for professional development and the option for career advancement.

A typical day at work for me includes doing in-take interviews with potential new students and their parents, which means making sure all of the administrative paperwork is accurate and sent to the correct people in a timely manner. I then teach four English classes to probationary students, which range from grades 9-12, and special education to honors. When the students leave for the day, I answer emails, fill out court paperwork for the students, have meetings with the juvenile court staff, enroll or dis-enroll any students entering or leaving our program, contact schools for student transcripts, review students' IEP's, document each student's behavior and academic progress for the day, create lesson plans, grade papers, review the day's events and make changes where necessary.

I work at an interagency school, which means Fairfax County Public Schools pairs up with another agency, in this case, Fairfax County Juvenile Court. This means I have two sets of management; those on the school side and those on the court side. Both are wonderful to work with: supportive, hands on, accommodating and efficient.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with students who have so many disadvantages and cannot always see beyond their difficult circumstances. There is so much more involved here than just teaching. Students need to be constantly motivated,
  more... refocused, and made to believe that they can acquire the academic and social skills to succeed in society. They have made mistakes, but these can be corrected and can be learning experiences.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the same as what is most difficult. I love working with students who require this kind of attention. The progress I see is amazing and the reward of witnessing students receive good grades for the first time in their lives, exiting probation, and returning to their base school is priceless. Last year we had a student accepted to Embry Riddle College in Florida where he is studying aerospace engineering. These success stories make the difficult aspects of the job rewarding,
Pros
time off, the hours, professional development, variety, quick pace, management
Cons
difficult circumstances with students, pay
kids are spoiled
Fourth Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 4, 2017
parents are worse... Admin is terrible! There is no support or the teachers and the pay is minimal considering the work required every night! Teachers burn out fast!
Good
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VANovember 1, 2017
Supports all the communities under the Fairfax County umbrella
Supports students and parents, and teachers
high standards for curriculum and its standards by the VA DOE
Pros
job security
Cons
no growth for advancement
Excellent place to work. Stability, Benefits and pay
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAOctober 23, 2017
FCPS is a great place to work. The work you do is for the kids and that's most important. It has great benefits, compensation and job security. The management lets you do your job.
Fcps
Registrar/Student Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAOctober 20, 2017
Great opportunity for promotion from within. Competitive salaries and great benefits. Opportunities for training to improve skills necessary for current job and to learn new skills to help with job advancement.
A suitable part time work environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 19, 2017
I enjoyed working in a variety of classrooms. I would have liked to have secured a permanent position. I particularly enjoyed the high school age students.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
as a substitute it's unpredictable
A "When Actually Employed" job.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 9, 2017
I am a Substitute Teacher who only works when I am called. It is generally 2-3 days a week for about 7-8 months. Since it was a job I could work or not, I allowed me to work with the IMF when the need arose. Since my wife retired from teaching and I know how hard it is to get a "sub," I decided to help out even though the compensation is minimal. I enjoy staying busy. I generally have the teacher send my her lesson plan the day before and I put the whole day's lesson plan into PowerPoint presentations to help expedite the day. Working with a variety of teachers and administrative personnel, I maintain interactions with professional people. I do miss more sophisticated discussions in my field. Since I retired from the Federal Government, I do not require medical benefits.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
No recognition for service.
A great place to work
Finance Assistant II- Title 1 (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 8, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time supporting the teachers and the students. I would highly recommend working for the school system as you are helping the next generation.
I retired on June 30, 2017.
working at Fairfax County Public Schools
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fairfax County, VAOctober 5, 2017
Hardest part of job was there was not enough hours to meet lunch deadlines. Upper management needs to add either more hours or add another employee to the staff. Most enjoyable job was being able to feed the children and interact with them on a daily basis, making sure they were eating nutritiously.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Time constraints
Review
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 1, 2017
MY Typical day was monitoring the kids and working with them closely. Managing to make sure I use my time wisely and effectively. When I do not get support the team that I work with. The most enjoyable part is seeing the kids are happy and I am able to give the support they need.
A great post career job to maintain benefits.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Fairfax County, VASeptember 30, 2017
This job is ideal for those who have retired from a previous career with money in the bank, and don't want to sit at home eating away at their retirement money. Health insurance and some cash to cover living expenses during retirement years.
Pros
Long 4 hours break, largely working alone.
Cons
Split shift can mean 12 hours from start to finish of the work day.
YOu get what you put in.
Collage Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 28, 2017
I was a teacher, work more than you get paid for, and be happy about it. YOu show up early, stay late, work hard and get rewarded with stickers and lots of starbucks gift cards.
Pros
Great PD
Cons
Not easy to move out of the classroom
A learning point in your life
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VASeptember 26, 2017
A life experience a lesson to be learned you will have to experience it to be able to understand This is all I have to say.. You have many Supervisors to contend with.
Benefits
Cons
Long days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2