Fairfax Hospital Employee Reviews

fast pace and demanding
Controller (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WA 98034February 11, 2017
A very fast pace environment. Management tends to work in "crisis" mode. The job is very demanding and requires meeting sometimes impossible deadlines. Working weekends and overtime is expected even when on salary. Long term employees most likely feel that they are being taken advantage of.
Pros
annual merit increases - health benefits
Cons
time demands, hard to balance personal and professional obligations
Productive and fun learning environment
Mental Health Technician: Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAOctober 9, 2016
Hours were very flexible, overtimes and bonuses always offered, starting pay was great. Extensive amounts pf training's necessary to work efficiently, co workers are a great team to work with , and lots of benefits.
A bit big for its britches
Intake Clinician (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJune 25, 2014
Fairfax does AMAZING service to the community. Unfortunately, I worked in a department where the staff culture is invalidating and very negative. The hours were extremely inconsistant (every week my schedule was different, but at least I knew about it ahead of time!). There really weren't enough staff, so if someone didn't show up, it really messed up the day. The business is expanding greatly and everyone is trying to keep up with it. If you like to multi-task, work constantly and work under pressure, this is a great place for you. There are lots of opportunities to try different positions, and the salary is great for the industry. The benefits are a little lack-luster because the headquarters are in another part of the country.
Chronically understaffed, chaotic, disorganized, PAPER CHARTS !!!!
Staff/Charge Nurse (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAApril 21, 2016
Individual staff are lovely to work with, and care a great deal about the patients. Unfortunately, units are consistently understaffed, frequently chaotic and disorganized. Breaks are very often missed. Staff frequently work overtime; double shifts are common. Staff are routinely floated from unit to unit. Continuity of care seems to be an irrelevant concept.

I had high hopes when I was hired. I am terribly disappointed.
Pros
Staff are hard working and pleasant.
Cons
chronic understaffing
Inova
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 20, 2015
A typical day at work is always an opportunity to grow, there is always something new to learn. As I always say to those around me...., "When your green your growing when your ripe your rotten". The liberal approach to knowledge is to be open to learning. Management and coworkers would consider me a true team player. I am always available to help and assist any member of the health care team, environmental aids,nurses, young techs, surgeon; and most importantly, patients, family and friends. I enjoy working in the OR, the hardest part of being a tech is was the earl years..... Learning cases and how to deal with the unexpected changes that may take place, the impact it has on the surgeon and the surgical team depending on the case. If you know what your doing and how it is to be done you significantly decrease the possibility of not having what you need when its need.
Pros
Management was awesome, very supportive of staff with on going education, free parking
Cons
Good question..., The volume could be a bit much based on the time of year. This facility is always busy!!!
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VASeptember 10, 2015
Great learning environment. Good management. Healthy workplace environment. The Hospital system was excellent. I choose to leave only due to travel time. I did request to work here for an agency on the weekends. Supervisors respected your break time. Helped cover your assignment when needed. INNOVA owned many hospitals in the area and so finding a new opportunity to fit your lifestylewas easy.
Pros
good management, great learning environment, great opportunity
Cons
Division of service areas. Took a while to get experience.
High workload, unrealistic expectations, unappreciated, finger pointing environment
clinical staff (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAAugust 3, 2012
It is an extremely stressful place to work, no consistency and very very poor training. Management wise it is like the blind leading the blind. The turn over rate is so high that people are put in positions and don't know what they are doing. When errors inevitably occur people look at who to blame. Most everyone is constantly looking for another job. Unhappiest employees I have ever worked with. Although it is a hospital that is supposedly there for the patient, it is corporate run and it is all about what can be done the cheapest way. Even if it compromises safety and job satisfaction
Pros
great co workers
Cons
poorly maintained, no concern for well being of employees
Great place to work with great benefits.
Staff nurse, ICU (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 14, 2015
A typical day at work was busy, but manageable. The patients were varied, but interesting to work with. I learned about liver transplants, plasma exchange transfusions and ventilators. The management was great in that it supported its employees. The co-workers were excellent with a team-player approach to the work. The hardest part of the job was leaving due to moving to Texas. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of work.
Pros
Great atmosphere and management support
Cons
Having to leave due to moving.
Dysfunctional for a premier hospital
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WASeptember 8, 2013
On the outside looking in, the organization may appear to say all the right things; yet, operationally, there is much dysfunction. (I agree with the former CEO's comments.) For a hospital that hangs banners up and down the halls stating, "Fairfax Hospital - Ranked Best Hospital by US News and World Report," I feel the organization needs to re-focus on what that statement means to their patients and staff. There is a continuous "revolving door" cycle for staff, which is a clear review of this hospital, operationally, as well as organizationally.
Pros
Get to be on the "front lines" working with very acute mentally ill individuals.
Cons
Burn out rate is pretty high
Great place
Certified Medical Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VASeptember 23, 2015
a very busy hospital that never seems to stop growing. it holds some of the best doctors and staff. it provides it's patients with care and the respect they deserve. great place
poor training for new employees
RN (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WaJanuary 3, 2012
this facility has less than adequate training for new employees, they are often understaffed, which poses risks to staff and patients, employees are not judged equally and expectations of some employees are different than for other employees, On a positive note, some of the staff are really great and have good character.
Pros
average pay
Cons
inadequate breaks and staffing, poor training
Great to work if you have compassion for patients. Not so much for morale.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  KirklandNovember 26, 2013
There are some great people here on the clinical side. Business department seems to care more about making money than the welfare of patients and the clinicians that care for them. I learned a lot though.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
Not enough support for employees
Great Into to Psychology
Psych Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WANovember 7, 2013
Great Into to Psychology, however it presented very many challenges at times. Most often you the staff the patient ratio is over demanding.
Good place to learn clinical skills.
Clinical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAMay 29, 2012
Fairfax is a high-paced psychiatric stabilization facility. It is a good place to attain foundational clinical skills.
Assistant to Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 14, 2014
Loved my job, hours, people I worked with. Had to relocate and job became too far to travel.
good work
house keeper (Former Employee) –  fairfax hospitalFebruary 20, 2012
this was boring job to me. Same route everyday. Cleaning all day not me.
Pros
meet new people everyday
Cons
manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.