Fairleigh Dickinson University Employee Reviews

Good management and friendly co-workers
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJJanuary 3, 2017
Friendly work environment and good management. For the most part individuals are well compensated and appreciated. Promotions require advanced degrees but are secure work and competitive compensation.
Pros
WORK ENVIRONMENT/CULTURE
Cons
NONE
A great place to learn and practice your teaching skills
Voluntary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJDecember 2, 2016
Found FDU very supportive and flexible in my desire to give back to the industry, via teaching students aspiring for a career in the hospitality industry.
Brief Background Description
Recruitment Coordinator & Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Madison, NJSeptember 9, 2016
Good company to start with fairly good benefits. Extremely expensive in regard to students. I enjoyed working with the students. You can see the spark in their eyes when there is a moment of I got it.
Pros
Great professors and staff that truly cares.
Cons
No one to protect people who are not in the union.
Student Assistant
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJOctober 25, 2016
A typical day working at the PLCPA department at Fairleigh Dickinson University involves working at an office. I have to sort through hundreds of documents, check and fix any mistakes, and organizing everything into a file. Occasionally I work outside the office where I have to attend student programming events. My job involves taking attendance of students and getting them actively involved in the events.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule, Laid back atmosphere
Cons
Do not get paid much
Productive environment with a great work culture.
INTERN WEB DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Teaneck, NJDecember 8, 2016
I use to work along with my professor for the projects and he is the best mentor and i have learnt so many work ethics from him. I must be thankful to my mentor for giving me the opportunity to prove my skills.
Warm and welcome atmosphere
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, NJDecember 9, 2016
As a graduate assistant, the workload is what you would expect on a day to day basis. My co-workers are fantastic and everyone does a great job to make you feel like you belong.
Decent Job for Student on Campus
T/A, Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Teaneck, NJJuly 29, 2016
Though the pay is low, working on campus is great for a student for obvious reasons--they work around your class schedule and you don't have to go outside of your normal commute. Depending on who you work for (teacher vs. facilities), it may or may not be related to what you want to do. I personally worked for a professor, and trust was mutual. It was a great way to work on managing time and responsibilities.
Pros
flexible schedule, practice managing responsibilities, good starting job
Cons
low pay, minimal hours
Wonderful place for learning and work
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJJune 16, 2016
Many of the employees have been in the institution their entire career, some spanning 40 - 50 years! A great place to work!
Pros
Generous time off
Cons
Pay not up to industry standard
Successful peer tutoring job that allows not only students to expand their knowledge, but also allows them to get to know each other.
Mathematics Department/Science Department Tutor (Current Employee) –  Madison, NJMay 27, 2016
A typical day at work includes helping fellow students in specific school subjects they struggle with for around an hour. It is up to the students to schedule a time that works for them. I learn the different perspectives and ideas that goes through someone else's mind of my age. The hardest part of the job is to express something that comes easy to me and put it in words or terms such that someone else can understand the material. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you successful helped someone and gave them the opportunity to achieve their goals.
Adjunct Professor of ESL (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJMay 2, 2016
Great place to work. Management and co-workers wonderful to work alongside. The university IT and other departments responsive and on top of things
Many Learning Opportunities
Lecturer of Criminal Justice (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJAugust 7, 2016
Fairleigh Dickinson has a very diverse student body and is a very exciting place to work. There were many colleagues that were willing to provide mentorship.
Pros
flexible work schedul
Cons
distance from home
Higher Education
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJJanuary 12, 2015
Fairleigh Dickinson University is a good place to work with genuinely caring, and mostly competent people in middle to upper management. In my small office, quick and informal interactions are more the norm than formal staff meetings. I've learned that even though everyone is told to work as a team, it is important that each individual does work independently and rely on being a self starter. The hardest part of the job is working through inter-departmental political and personal issues. Because we're a small institution, personalities can get enlarged. The best part of working here is the open door policy that students readily take advantage of. We're a diverse university and getting to work with such an interesting student cohort is very rewarding.
Pros
Employee Tuition Grant
Cons
No room for advancement
Time waisting, and dissapointing.
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Madison, NJ.April 30, 2015
I loved the idea of working for this institution even within the three days I worked. However due to "Budget cuts" or "Mistakes" of upper management, your job can be on the line, and be let go a day after hire. Unfortunately, they have irresponsible upper management, who don't know what they're doing; hire people that they weren't supposed to and turn around and try to lie about it when they tell you we cant keep you. If ever hired here, I wouldn't trust it due to disorganization. You could be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Don't waist your time.
Pros
Good for experience
Cons
No job security at all, due to mistakes of upper management.
Great Benefits as well as job security, working with students and watching them succeed is rewarding.
Freshman Seminar Instructor (Current Employee) –  Madison, NJJune 4, 2014
Each day is different, you never know what will come up. I learned to juggle a lot of things at one time without going completely insane. I also learned that common sense is not always applied as one would think. Management and Co-workers are the same everywhere, annoying at times. The hardest part of the job is telling people no, listening to their sad stories and having them cry in my office. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching students grow and succeed. Receiving thank you notes, letters and cards of appreciation.
Pros
Free Event's and Activities, Gym access, Friday's off in Summer
Cons
Compensation, Too much changing of Management, Top Heavy
Don't work in the Kron building. Management is the worst.
Kron Building (Former Employee) –  Teaneck, NJOctober 22, 2012
Everyone there is over worked, underpaid, stressed out. You work long hours with no thanks or compensation.Terrible management!! FDU does NOT want to change its ways. The University is stuck in the 80's. Very antiquated way of doing things. HR very unprofessional. A VERY stressful work environment. Take heed!!!
Cons
hr unprofessional, managment is terrible.
Best part in my life where i learned things which emphasized my skills
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMarch 22, 2016
Well, Monday is a typical day for me after completing celebrations till sunday night, and i will do heavy tasks especially on Mondays.
I have learned couple of things, firstly, interacting with my colleagues and boss, public speaking, suggesting and instructing in a typical situations. Secondly, i got improvised my technical skills.
We are around 20 people in our office, so i used to manage those people diplomatically.
My colleagues are Graduate Students similar to me. We used to work collaborately with more enthusiasm. They helped me in learning any things especially how to interact with other.
I don't think i had a hardest part in my job, atmost i felt hard situation while i was in an meeting with my University Dean about University Website.
I feel the most enjoyable part of job is when i get lot of things to work without sitting idle for long time. Also, the most enjoyable part of my entire job part is when we had Potluck.
Fun but productive environment
Athletic Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Florham Park, NJMay 22, 2016
Worked many jobs at the university each were beneficial where I learned as well as contributed. Each co-worker worked together to fulfill job requirements and made each day worth being there. The hardest part of the jobs are learning new tasks for they are new but the most enjoyable part is completing tasks successfully.
Productive, Friendly Environment.
Admissions Operations Clerk (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJApril 7, 2016
A typical day at work; I Process Applications, input data, file, fax, answer phone, assemble folder for potential student to be reviewed by the universities counselors'.

The manager is great, she gives me little to no supervision because she knows I exceed any project/task she hands me. Co-workers are great as well if I have a question they don't hesitate to help me out.
Pros
Great people, environment, short commute.
Cons
No room to grow in my dept.
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJOctober 25, 2015
The place has been very helpful to become a professional and a team player. Fun Place with very supportive management. No politics and a very clean environment for a workplace.
The best work experience one could have
Administrative/ Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Teaneck, NJJanuary 9, 2014
The best employer offering excellent benefits/compensation package. Company cares for employees and the majority are there long term. Advancement opportunities abound.

I regret having to leave this employer many years ago when I moved out of town and became a full time homemaker/ stay-at-home mom,and have nothing but fond memories. If I move back to Northern New Jersey in the future, I will try to reestablish employment at FDU.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairleigh Dickinson University. Our community is ready to answer.

94%