Fairmont State University Employee Reviews in United States

Positive and nurturing environment for students to achieve higher education goals
Adjunct English Instructor (Current Employee) –  Department of Language and LiteratureOctober 26, 2015
In a typical day at my job as an English professor at Fairmont State University, I prepare and deliver presentations, assist students one-on-one and in large groups with their work, evaluate their projects and assignments, and record their grades and other personal information in the university's databases. This work has given me a great deal of experience in professional communication and has taught me the value of a diplomatic approach to any situation. The management provides high-quality guidance and support for this work, and I have learned a great deal from my co-workers and colleagues. The hardest part of the job is that I must do a great deal of my work outside of class time, but the fulfillment I get from helping students learn to express themselves professionally makes up for the sometimes arduous nature of grading. This is the most rewarding professional experience I have had so far, and I am eager to explore other ways to serve my community, as well.
Pros
Time off on holidays, teaching online from time to time, and the ability to plan and manage my own work
Cons
Low pay and no benefits
Very stable work environment.
Dean's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVDecember 14, 2015
My typical day consisted of filing, answering phones and directing them to the correct department, handling all incoming and outgoing mail, booking reservations for hotels and car rentals, typing up flyers, copying, scanning, and faxing all documentation, taking payments, recording demographics of all new students and faculty, making cash deposits, and working closely with the Dean to ensure smooth flowing procedures. Management was easy going and great to work for. The co-workers were wonderful. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things everyday.
exciting and adventurous place to work
SET UP Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMarch 24, 2016
Prepare for an incoming event, I get instructions from my boss, ensure the task is finish and well done. my hard part is we are always timed , so I have to finish the set up before the event. But at the end it gives me satisfaction to be able to finish up my work, which makes me consistent and accurate
Pros
free food tickets
I helped students feel safe.
Residence Hall Desk Monitor (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVDecember 17, 2015
I made sure that only students who lived in the dorm entered the dorm. I checked IDs of visitors and issued guest passes. I was responsible for logging lockouts, and I was responsible for writing up reports if students were acting up in the lobby. I locked the doors at night and let residents into the building once the doors were locked.
Pros
Chances to pick up shifts
Cons
No breaks
Good Company
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVApril 3, 2016
The job was great especially when i was a student at the institution the job was flexible and was fairly straight forward
Good atmosphere
Fitness Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  fairmont, wvMay 20, 2015
A typical day at was was usually pretty slow until evening shift, which i never did. Management and co workers were all very friendly. The hardest part of the job was confronting customers when they werent following procedures correctly. I enjoyed being able to socialize and interact with everyone.
encouraging workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMay 22, 2015
The management was good. The hours are flexible, you make your own schedule. I enjoyed working with the students, but students are also unreliable so relying on them for income was quite hard.
Very limited on training
Residence Hall Monitor (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVApril 10, 2015
Student monitors would sit desk from three to four hours, and maintain the safety and traffic flow of the building. I learn a large amount of information about title nine and confidentiality. I enjoyed working with residents and helping them when they needed guidance. I however did not like the fact there was no place for promotion.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Low responsibilty, no place for promotion
Employment at Fairmont State
Apartment Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMarch 13, 2014
The typical day at Fairmont State consists of checking email, answering phones, speaking with customers (on campus students), coordinating office operations, and managing my staff. The work environment is casual and customer focused. The most challenging part of the job for live in professionals is the separation of work and personal lives. I live in the facility I manage and my office is twenty steps from my front door. While this is challenging at times it also allows me to connect to my other live in staff and students in a non traditional way. This is also the best part of the job because I get to see the impact we have on our students. I enjoy working with most of coworkers and the management structure is flexible. While the management style is not my own technique, it is appropriate for our work environment.
A good place to build your skill set.
Student Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVFebruary 28, 2015
Generally a low stress environment involving information system maintenance. Occasional upgrades and new installs expand entry level skill set. Adaptable to student skill level and extended responsibilities were assigned.
Pros
low stress. easy scheduling around student load.
Cons
low pay. standard minimum wage for federal work study.
Just a Lab Assistant job...
Lab Assistant/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVApril 18, 2014
I just worked there because my porfessor wanted me to. It wasn't hard because I was instucting on stuff that I knew about. My professor was pretty good. The studen ts were good for the most part. I enjoyed the teaching aspect. It was fun.
Pros
fun to be passing on info to those that didn't know.
Cons
took away from my school work.
student job
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVJune 25, 2014
This was a student job and the connections were great for resume. workload was light so lots of down time
Pros
on campus
Cons
work load light and not allowed to do homework
Great Opportunity
Assistant to the Resident Director (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVFebruary 9, 2013
Working at the university i atended opened up a lot of doors. I was able to learn the administrative process top to bottom, and as well make a lot of friends.
Typical office job
Program Assistant I & II (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVJuly 24, 2013
This job was very demanding. Worked a lot of overtime. Liked the actual work itself, just not the surroundings and the demand.
An experience
Student (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVFebruary 8, 2013
Go to college, take several classes, met several people, traveled several places with concrete canoe competitions,
Pros
met lots of people, had fun with concrete canoe.
Cons
lots of homework and deadlines
Review
Coordinator of Tobacco Free Falcons (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVJanuary 14, 2014
Working for Fairmont State Univ. opened a lot of doors for me. It was a very enjoyable experience.
Very fun work environment.
Falcon Guide (Former Employee) –  Adimssions DepartmentJanuary 30, 2012
This was a work study while I was in college. The staff and other student workers made the job extremely fun. Very proud to have worked for my school while attending.
Budget/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVAugust 6, 2013
I enjoyed working there the best part of the job was the interaction with the students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairmont State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2