Fairmont State University Employee Reviews

Not the greatest
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMay 22, 2017
We start our typical day doing nothing. That continues for the rest of the day, unless someone has a complaint, then we have to deal with a heaping pile of paperwork, and then we only get paid for 8 hours per week, but they will have you work around 20 sometimes.
Small classes, teachers who care
Student (Former Employee) –  WVMay 17, 2017
great classes and professors, small personal one on one, they know your name and want you to succeed, they spend time to help you one on one when you need it.
Pros
small, pesronal
Absolutely LOVE my job
Telecounselor (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMay 2, 2017
I absolutely love working as a student employee at Fairmont State. I was just hired as a telecounselor this year and plan to work this job until I graduate. Everyone is so nice and friendly and there for you if and when you need help. I would recommend this job to anyone I know.
It's a good place to work.
Tour Guide/Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVApril 28, 2017
It's convenient and most of the time they are lenient with class schedules. We have a seven minute grace period to get us to and from class. The workload isn't very much and the hours are good too.
Decent place to work
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVApril 26, 2017
Day to day interactions with students was enjoyable. I learned a great deal about how to handle different situations in customer support. The management at the school is what really makes it a miserable job. Management picks favorites, does not handle rewards or discipline on a consistent basis and spends to much time wrapped up in peaty backroom politics.
Pros
Free housing
Cons
Small stipend, long hours, Can't really leave work at home
Work place enevirment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVApril 17, 2017
Fairmont State University has a demanding work enevirment for students beyond a normal work place in some jobs that are in the Housing Department. Mainly Resident Assistant which is listed as a part time job for students but, the school has Resident Assistant working 40hrs a week minimum between various tasks.
Fairmont state university
Network Student Staff (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVApril 9, 2017
Good place to work and long term employees. Most people don't want to leave after be hired there. I feel the pay is low for the IT staff but if you want to be a professor it would be a good place to be.
Good job that gives you great experiences
Student Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMarch 1, 2017
Student employment-excellent job that works around my schedule. Its hard to get employed, but once you do, you are set................................
Pros
Works around school schedule, light workloads
Cons
Mim wage
Great place to work overall
Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVFebruary 14, 2017
Great place to work overall. Management is great to work with, do your job and get your work done and no one is looking over your shoulder all day. The different groups on campus; Faculty, Staff, Students, Visitors, and others make for a great environment!
Pros
Great environment to work in
Cons
Uncertain future because of the State of WV budget concerns
Typical Day in Coaching
Offensive Coordinator/ Wide Receiver Coach (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVFebruary 10, 2017
Typical day in coaching varies from day to day. Most of the time we meet as a staff and then have position meetings. Their are days that we will be working on recruiting and days that our players will workout. Every day is a long and exciting day.
Education and fun environment to work in.
Graduate Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVFebruary 3, 2017
Fairmont State University is great place to learn from the staff. It is educational as it does not stop teaching you in regards to dealing with fellow staff, faculties and students alike. I enjoy working here at Fairmont State University.
Pros
Partake extra curricular activities outside the campus
Cons
When students graduated and other faculty retire.
Working at FSU is truly a rewarding experience
Internship (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVOctober 2, 2016
A typical day at work involved editing specific web pages on the FSU website, ensuring that the correct information was included and that the page was inviting to students.
Pros
barely any commute if you are a student
Cons
temporary job (lose it after you graduate)
Very positive work place
Office Assistant / Teachers aid (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVAugust 23, 2016
Working at Fairmont State was a great experience because it added to the skills i already had. The staff was very open to showing me how things worked in their office and did notmind helping me when i needed the help.
Working with young adults was very satisfying and rewarding
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVAugust 18, 2016
Everyday was a learning experience. I had to expand my knowledge of computer programs to include all aspects of the office position. I was constantly meeting new people and had to be prepared to answer questions and concerns from the faculty, parents and students. My days were busy, I could be monitoring a class room, making reservations for new hires, budgeting grants, ordering supplies, or checking inventory. Some days were spent writing work orders to maintain the building as a safe and clean environment for the students and faculty. The hardest part of the day was closing the office door in the evening knowing that things still needed to be completed and not having the time to complete. The best part of the job was knowing that I was appreciated.
Pros
Excercise facility available for daily use
Cons
Not enough employees.
Great people, good job securit
Adjunct English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Language and Literature DepartmentJuly 26, 2016
I loved being able to set my own schedule, I did often wish management was more invovled in the day to day activities of teaching and tutoring, but I am a self-starter so freedom was nice. Although my co-workers are an ecclectic bunch, we all got along and they made the job enjoyable. I just wish there were more opportunities for me to grow or even advance into full time employment.
Pros
access to various resources and activities
Cons
lack of full time opportunities
Not the best but still good
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVJune 14, 2016
Work at FSU was dull, being the worker I did not have many tasks and 50% of my time was spent idle. Goofing around is a regular thing and it is obvious the school is wasting resources on unproductive workers. For these reasons the job was fun, but it was not really much of a job, more just an easy paycheck.
Good Company
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVApril 3, 2016
The job was great especially when i was a student at the institution the job was flexible and was fairly straight forward
exciting and adventurous place to work
SET UP Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMarch 24, 2016
Prepare for an incoming event, I get instructions from my boss, ensure the task is finish and well done. my hard part is we are always timed , so I have to finish the set up before the event. But at the end it gives me satisfaction to be able to finish up my work, which makes me consistent and accurate
Pros
free food tickets
I helped students feel safe.
Residence Hall Desk Monitor (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVDecember 17, 2015
I made sure that only students who lived in the dorm entered the dorm. I checked IDs of visitors and issued guest passes. I was responsible for logging lockouts, and I was responsible for writing up reports if students were acting up in the lobby. I locked the doors at night and let residents into the building once the doors were locked.
Pros
Chances to pick up shifts
Cons
No breaks
Very stable work environment.
Dean's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVDecember 14, 2015
My typical day consisted of filing, answering phones and directing them to the correct department, handling all incoming and outgoing mail, booking reservations for hotels and car rentals, typing up flyers, copying, scanning, and faxing all documentation, taking payments, recording demographics of all new students and faculty, making cash deposits, and working closely with the Dean to ensure smooth flowing procedures. Management was easy going and great to work for. The co-workers were wonderful. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things everyday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairmont State University. Our community is ready to answer.

Fairmont State University Reviews by Location