FairPoint Communications

FairPoint Communications Employer Reviews

Rapid professional advancement
IT Director (Current Employee), Manchester NHMarch 21, 2015
I am working with a fine group of IT professionals who more often than not put the job before personal commitments.

I joined FairPoint as an individual contributor and quickly assumed the role of Director of Infra,
Variety in day to day activities which is nice
Splice Service Technician (Current Employee), Dummerston, VTFebruary 10, 2015
I enjoy my job and that no 2 days are alike. In my position I feel like your constantly learning more on a daily basis. I am in a dept. that you need to be a self motivated individual as well as be able to work well with others.
productive work place. Great customers
Wholesale Representative (Former Employee), Portland, MEFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not a strong company to work for
Fairpoint has a lot of pro's and con's about it. The company itself is not that strong however the jobs and duties I preformed I really enjoyed
Great company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Utica, NYFebruary 4, 2015
The work was really fun and kept it interesting. I learned a lot about the telecommunication world. It felt like a family when you worked there.
Proficiency in telephone
Business Sales Representative (Current Employee), Portland, MEJanuary 30, 2015
This position enabled me to learn everything there was about telephony in general & taught valuable work-around & troubleshooting skills
A company that doesn't care about employees
Wholesale Representative (Former Employee), Portland, MEJanuary 27, 2015
Cons: hundreds
I don't recommend this company.
The management is terrible and benefits lousy.
Telecommunications behind the curve
Enterprise Solutions Group Representative (Current Employee), Burlington, VTJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: good compensation and benefits, well defined job responsibilities.
Cons: software environment and task redundancy.
The Enterprise Services Group Representative position at FairPoint is a good job with great pay and benefits...for now. It's a union position that is considered by the company to be over compensated and benefited. The work is specialized and requires about 16 weeks of training just to work in the proprietary software environment let alone do the work required. The job responsibilities range from customer service to account management to order writing to bill reconciliation. These facets of the job require that an individual perform the necessary work in triplicate for the sake of doing the initial job, performing tasks again when the systems fail, and then generating detailed reports to forward to the team leader when the systems fail to produce reports.
First and second level management is not to blame for this shortcoming, In fact, most of management is also at the mercy of this poorly written/implemented software and we all work together to get the job done despite the headaches. Managers are keen to keep morale up at all costs, knowing that the workload would be difficult to manage without the existing headcount.
While the people we work with are a mix from all walks of life, the environment is predominantly enjoyable and worth coming to each day.
Technical Support helping Customers
Central Office Technician (Former Employee), Manchester, NHJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great learning place
Cons: not many
Interacting with pepole and helping them solve technical dificulties is a great experiance. Great learning place
Good place to have a career at.
Splice service technician (Former Employee), Saint Johnsbury, VTJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: union representaion
Cons: pending strike
A typical day at work involves reviewing of work orders, stocking the company vehicle with the needed materials, and completing the job assigned to me.I have learned how to splice copper and fiber optic cables, build electronics cabinets that provide DSL, T1's, dial tone, and other special services. I have turned up cellular sites, and build Ethernet connections to commercial clients.
Every day was a new challange
Customer Service Rep & Supervisor Assistant (Current Employee), Portland, MEJanuary 7, 2015
I did multiple different things within my department. I liked the constant change and challenge each day brought. I worked well with co workers and management. I'm a very hard worker who likes challenges.
This was a challanging job on a day today basis.
Customer service (Former Employee), Bangor, MEJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: we were given a lot of leeway to solve our customers issues.
Cons: required to be a member of the local union
I have been happy for the experience to work with such a great group of co-workers providing excellent customer service to our telecommunication customers, assisting with billing questions/problems, software issues on a limited level, service issues and sales.
I am looking for employment with another challenging Company because I need job security.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Manchester, NHJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: very good pay scale. co-workers and my manager care.
Cons: unsecure long term employment.
Since October 17, 2014 Fairpoint Union workers has been on Strike.
I learned a that my Manager and co-workers are very knowledgeable
and taught me a lot about my job.
The hardest part of my job is asking the same question twice until I understand what the task is.

The most enjoyable part of the job is asking a question more than once and realizing how caring my manager and my co-workers are.
Love My Job and My Customer I Serve
Special Service Technician (Current Employee), Portland, MEDecember 13, 2014
Pros: amazing health care and benefits with great pay
Cons: system issues that limited my ability at times and having to find work arounds.
As a Special Service Technician I had the blessing of working with the largest accounts the phone company had. With this came the responsibility of establishing a trust with the customer's I served. My customers knew that I was reliable, patient, an excellent trouble shooter an I would not give up until the customer was back on line and happy with my finished product.
My managers also knew they could always count on me to take on a job others would not, to always be willing to learn and be up to date on the newest technology and knew that I would always be a positive spirit willing to do what it took to get the job done.
Professional and new adventure
Account Executive - Retention (Current Employee), Manchester, NHDecember 8, 2014
Pros: work from home, team and direct supervisor
Cons: training and support staff
Typically worked from 8-5 Monday through Friday.
Was part of the new organization of Retention for the company working existing business accounts.
Loved the team I worked with and my direct supervisor was very supportive and pleasure to work for.
productive business environment
customer service representative (Current Employee), South Burlington, VtNovember 23, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers enjoyed helping people
Cons: system issues and delayed orders
I have enjoyed working at Fairpoint for 19 years , originally it started out as Bell Atlantic, then changed to NYNEX , then Verizon ,now Fairpoint is owned by Hedge Funds and we are on strike. I loved working with my co-workers and the hardest part about my job was apologizing to customers about our systems not working properly and orders having a difficult time going through. Ever since Fairpoint bought Verizon out it has not been the same company it once was.
Hard work, meat packing business
CENTRAL OFFICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Manchester, NHNovember 14, 2014
Good co-workers. Treated fairly by management and owners.
Co-Workers are like family.
Customer Sales and Service Representative (Current Employee), South Burlington, VTNovember 5, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits.
Business hours of M-F 8am-6pm work well for working families. I have exceptional customer service skills thanks to my experience with the company. Managers and co-workers are more like family because we have worked with each other for years. The hardest part of my job is encountering a situation I cannot care for immediately. The issue can be escalated and will be cared for however, I like to see things through from beginning to end. The most enjoyable part of this job is speaking with and assisting our customers located right here in New England.
call center environment, but with relaxed atmosphere. self paced job enrichment.
Central Office Technician (Current Employee), Manchester, NHNovember 5, 2014
Pros: relaxed work environment
My day typically starts by signing on to the phone system to be available to help field technicians troubleshoot dsl problems at various customer sites, residential or business. In between calls I acknowledge dsl trouble reports called in by customers and triage them by running a battery of test to determine if it is a physical trouble that needs the creation of a work order and dispatch of field technician or if is a trouble that can be resolved at the center level. Troubles at center level can be as simple as a cross connect that has been deleted and needs to be built back in or a network congestion issue which requires a dsl circuit redesign.
I had little to no background in the systems used when i started the job, i would have to say learning all the new software was probably the most difficult part of the job. Co-workers were always there to lend a helping hand and help train. At no point did i feel any pressure to get up to speed by the management team which made things easier. The most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to resolve a customers dsl trouble at center level and get them back online without having to dispatch a field technician which can sometimes add two to three days or more before the customers trouble is resolved. The phone call to the customer to let them know that they are back online with such a short turnaround time is usually an enjoyable experience.
horrible
Contract Administrator (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 5, 2014
Cons: all
The company has bad moral and makes you feel unsettled. You never knew if you would have a job the next day.
Company in Transition
Central Office Technician (Current Employee), White River Junction, VTNovember 4, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: undergoing massive changes
The company is undergoing major changes as they progress from an ILEC selling POTS lines to a 21st century technology company focused on delivering IP-based products.

1 2 3

About FairPoint Communications

FairPoint Communications provides local and long-distance phone services, which account for nearly half of sales, as well as broadband – Read more

FairPoint Communications Salaries