FairPoint Communications

FairPoint Communications Employer Reviews

Great place to learn and advance
Supervisor (Current Employee), Dover, NHAugust 1, 2014
If you are looking for a place that pays you well, and you would like to learn, grow and work with really good people, this is the place for you.
Loved my job and the people I worked with.
Adm. III to the National Director of CS&S (Former Employee), South China, MaineJuly 16, 2014
Pros: loved my job and the work i did.
Cons: company having to down size.
Busy and productive work place. I loved my job but the site is closing. I have worked closely for the Director of CS&S as well as the Director of Labor Relations. I was in the same building as the call center reps and bonded with them. I appreciated their position and in return they appreciated me as management. The hardest part of this is the down – more... sizing and the most enjoyable was that I loved going to work each day never dreaded going in or doing the work. – less
Terrible place to work
Outside Plant Technician (Current Employee), Manchester, NHMay 27, 2014
I have worked here for over 17 years, and have been merged/acquired 4 times. Each time it gets progressively worse. Whatever you do, don't work here....it isn't worth it!
Don't know what to expect each day at the office
NH PROJECT MANAGER/OSP ENGINEER (Current Employee), Manchester, NHFebruary 3, 2014
Manage & Implement Engineering work orders while managing several service order databases. I learned to multitask in an efficient manner. The hardest part of my job is getting there and back home, I have a long commute.
Some great employees- dying business and awful upper managment
Senior Manager/Security (Former Employee), Portland , MEJanuary 7, 2014
Just a dinosaur of a business model- poor marketing and the worst HR department ever- from Director down- great employees- from Director up- nightmare, out of touch management.
No longer a growning company
IMPLEMENTATION MANAGER II (Former Employee), South Burlington, VTDecember 10, 2013
Pros: great pay, decent benefits.
Cons: dying industry
In my 18 years working for FairPoint I have worn many hats. Having started out in Operator Services and working my way up to mid level management I have seen it all. I have been with the telephone company since it was the only option for many. As competition grew and access lines dwindled due to competition and mobile alternatives I found that I was – more... always picking up more and more work and my time was being spread over more and more things. I welcomed work, but I wasn't feeling excited about what I was doing or where I was working. – less
Tough place to work as the company is struggling to survive.
Senior Manager/Security (Former Employee), Portland MaineNovember 5, 2013
Pros: good comp and benifits
Cons: poor upper management and cash strapped
Long days, short on support as company is running very lean to protect capital. Management is very uneven as the company struggles. Great co-workers and from the directors down- very strong and dedicated work force. Looming strike in 2014 is a big problem.
Business Solutions Analyst (Former Employee), Manchester, NHOctober 31, 2013
Pros: great work environment
Cons: low pay for what the job required
8am - 5pm

SQL Programming
Retail Process Assurance
Ensured flow of orders from one system to the next

Good management

Great Co-workers

Manager lived out of state, hard to contact

Working with great people
Engineer (Current Employee), MaineOctober 18, 2013
Pros: great pay, good benefits and nice home life
Cons: may have to do union workers job if they strike
When I first started about 4 yrs ago it was shaky. Now that the management has made significant strides in improving products and investing in their fiber infrastructure things are much better. Most of the jobs cut were management jobs however there is a new contract coming up for the union folks in 2014. The company is seeing a brighter future no doubt – more... and even thou with the management cuts my work load has become a bit more I am still fine with having a good paying job, good benefits and a great home life. – less
Set my own schedule
Engineering Associate (Current Employee), Chatham, NYOctober 7, 2013
My company works with me and lets me balance home and work life
Lack of business plan, not a good enviroment.
Equipment Installation Technician (Former Employee), Bangor, MEJuly 18, 2013
Pros: good pay, benefits
Cons: not customer focused
Surpluses declared every year. Not customer driven, budgets dictate service levels. Corporate gives themselves bonuses, then tell rank and file there is a drop in revenue, so labor must be reduced.
Alabama North
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Portland, MEJune 19, 2013
Pros: some nice people
Cons: everything else
Unless you are one of the Good Ol' boys from Maine, stay far away. No leadership, direction or understanding of the way business is done in 2013.
Challenging but this company tries its best to serve its customers
Senior Technical Project Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee), Manchester, NHJune 9, 2013
Pros: startup rural telephone company can be fun and has a homey culture
Cons: financial troubles and poor third party contractors who bungle deals with big clients
Great to work for the telephone company; Super technology

Opportunity to wear lots of different hats.
Great company to work for if you aren't at the bottom of the totem pole
Customer Sales and Service Representative (Current Employee), Ellensburg, WAMay 28, 2013
Great company to work for if you aren't at the bottom of the totem pole
Start up, Fun, Unstructured
Regional Sales Director (Former Employee), NY, PA, WVApril 28, 2013
Pros: travel, sales perks, money
Cons: unethical company
There was nothing typical about any day. This was a start up company where the rules were made as we went along. The job was grueling but I knew my hard work would pay off. Everyday was fun and exciting as we all muddled through the process together.

Unfortunately, 5 years after the initial sales was made, the company was sold to a company that had – more... little value for it's employees and was less than ethical. It was not a culture I wanted to embrace and spent much of my time shielding my reps from what was being delivered from Upper Management. The culture in my district offices was so different from the corporate culture and I struggled what I was being asked to do. – less
High stress level
Service Representative (Current Employee), Bangor, MEApril 3, 2013
Working in a call center taking calls from customer setting up phone, internet and/or DirecTV.
Treading Water
Account Executive (Current Employee), Portland, MEMarch 4, 2013
Insanely high quotas that are impossible for sales reps to make. High management turnover
Difficult culture and high level of job insecurity
Property Manager, Southern Maine (Former Employee), Kennebunk, MEMarch 4, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits are very good.
Cons: non-union employees have no security, managers have little control over their unionized direct reports.
Inconsistency between senior management's formal statements and actions.
High level of conflict between bargaining unit employees and management.
Multiple layers of middle management assure that issues get deferred or ignored.
Love this place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Bangor, MEFebruary 11, 2013
Workplace was always cheerful and upbeat. Very sales driven
Growing Company
Network Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Manchester, NHJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: good benefits, great team to work with
Cons: they are now being run by accountants and investors who know nothing about telecommunications.
This Company had purchased the Northern NE portion of Verizon Communication. It really ended up to be a strat up, due to new systems and practices.
It was a pleasure working here, unfortunately, costs are always a factor in doing business. The highest costs are salaries and they had started to reduce the workforce.

About FairPoint Communications

FairPoint Communications provides local and long-distance phone services, which account for nearly half of sales, as well as broadband – Read more