FairPoint Communications Employee Reviews in United States

Small time company buying in to an industry in need of growth
Consumer Support & Resolutions Lead (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 17, 2016
This company acquired Verizon landline services in NH, ME, & VT and has done nothing to grow the business or customer base.
Team environment , good management
Technical Project Manager/ Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 10, 2016
Well managed, professional, attentive to staff success. Flexible in that they allow you to work from the house if personal issues dictate
Pros
Can work from home when required
Cons
As a contractor not paid for holidays or vaction time
Regarding work experience with RNF technology.
UI Developer (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 3, 2016
It was great working with RNF technology,got a chance to work in a good environment .Team was supportive as well as management.
In my opinion Fairpoint is heading in the wrong direction making it less enjoyable with each change they make.
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 14, 2016
I normally would start my day reviewing and answering emails. Next I would work on projects some of which were small and could be completed in a short amount of time to jobs that would be large and complex taking days or week to complete. I also would go to job sites to leave equipment to complete the project or to look over the job and talk to the technician that would be completing the job before drawing and writing it up. I enjoyed most working with the technicians we enjoyed a very good relationship. I cannot say any part of my job was particularly difficult other than possibly when jobs had to be rushed because someone waited until the last minute to notify us about it. My only fault with management is they seem to be enacting policy on the classic side of Faipoint to same policies as the old Verizon alienating many of the classic workers, making it more difficult to complete the work and more costly to do the work.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
dealing with the non productive changes the company keeps making.
Fairpoint Communications
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  South Burlinton VermontApril 13, 2016
Fairpoint has some very skilled employees, unfortunately about two weeks after joining the sales department, the Company went on strike, and some potential opportunities that were described to me disappeared. As a result, it became a serious challenge. That is to say, Fairpoint needed to make some changes, but my timing was not very good. The management is talented, but became distant. I enjoy working with customers and carriers in this industry.
Great people, hard workers but needs leadership
Technician (Current Employee) –  NHDecember 28, 2015
Not as good as it used to be when we were Verizon. Sadly, the customers agree. Hopefully we can get back to providing the superior service we once did.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Scheduling
advancement
Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) –  Perry, FLDecember 6, 2015
there is little to no advancement and the job security is going away they are spending less and less money to market there products
Pros
freedom, manger contractors, mange your time
Cons
Job Security
Telecommunications Company
Manager Wholesale Collections & Billing (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 1, 2015
Always changing environment that is always evolving. Its fun to see this and to move with the company as new things are discovered and teams shift to care for the current technology to ensure the customer is cared for with efficiency.
Pros
Flex schedules
good company
COMBINATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  MaineNovember 24, 2015
I would refer someone to work for fairpoint it is a good company, I would consider working for them again hard work, but always something new to learn and new challenges. very mind provoking job.
Pros
company vehicle good compensation
Cons
they laid me off
Very stale office environment
Central Office Technician (CSMC) (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHSeptember 15, 2015
A typical day at work involved me answering phones and troubleshooting many different types of digital and analog circuits with technicians and customers. My manager was very friendly and nice but the work was monotonous. I worked in a union so my coworkers were nice and there was little competition for upward mobility among us. The hardest part of the job was learning the new technology and relaying the new knowledge to my peers. The most enjoyable part of my job was the type of work I did and the company of my coworkers.
Pros
The pay, benefits, vacation time, steady work
Cons
Unable to work from home, Almost monotonous feel, Quiet shift (2nd shift), Union vs. Management mentality
Terrible work environment
Customer Service Central Office Technician (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 30, 2015
Terrible work environment. Relationship between associates and management is awful. Tension is apparent at all times. Training is non-existent and associates are left to figure out situaions on their own.
Great co-workers all with the same goal; to provide excellent customer service
Business client support (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTAugust 3, 2015
I truly enjoyed my job as a Business Client Support Representative. I absolutely loved providing my customers and sales team excellent customer service. The hardest part of my job was being held back by the systems that we used daily to process orders. My direct Supervisor/Team Leader was easy to work for and appreciated the work that I did. Executive management had no idea of the importance of this department and the great work that was done. Our department was closed in July 2015 and I was laid off after 24 1/2 years of service.
Pros
Great compensation and co-workers (work family)
Cons
Being laid off after 24+ years of dedicated service
great job, lousy upper management
Central Office Technician (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 1, 2015
great job to perform, lousy upper management in the company. Would go back if recalled only because of service time lost.
Pros
good wage, good job
Cons
company run by people who are not phone company people
lifetime of telecommunication equipment and software to learn from
Installation and maintenance specialist (Current Employee) –  brunswick maineJuly 18, 2015
I learn something new every single day. I cant wait to see whats next. My manager is great. I have had two and both were helpful and sincere. The coworkers I have worked with are awesome. The hardest part would be the weather. For safety reasons we are not permitted to work during thunder/lightning storms. Best part would be anything new I learned and the customers appreciation when the job is done.
Good place to earn a living
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New HampshireJune 11, 2015
This was a great paying job and good benefits. You can work your way up the ladder and learn a lot about the telecom industry.
Failing Company
cot (Current Employee) –  manchester nhMay 19, 2015
Layoffs, Poor management. Major malfunctions. This company has gone through many changes and continues to deteriorate. The environment has become quite negative and unhappy.
Unstable Company in the Industry
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 19, 2015
My typical day is helping my Co-workers correct orders and assist them with their order issues.

I have learned how to be a better team player.

My co-workers are the best - we work together to do the best for our customers
FairPoint Review
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 16, 2015
Upper management was not involved in many aspects of the business. Only concerned with revenue. Flexibility is nice as long as you hit your number. Overall I enjoyed the job.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Constant new challenges of job make every day different and rewarding
Central Office Technician, CSMC (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 12, 2015
Working with latest and cutting edge Transport equipment; Hardware, and Software make every day different, challenging, and exciting. The faced paced and ever changing IT industry forces each employee to test and exceed their boundaries every day in order to stay at the forefront of this exciting field. New equipment and processes make working as a team imperative to staying successful and my co-workers are the best in the industry. Working with this experienced and elite work force makes it easy to satisfy our customers needs in a timely and professional manner and that is the best part of the job.
This is a struggling telco without stability
Manager OSS Inventory Provisioning and Activation (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTApril 30, 2015
Most of the systems work is contracted out.
The hardest part was the extended time it took to get things accomplished.
Management turnover is frequent.
The most enjoyable part is working with friendly co-workers.
Pros
Easy commute
Cons
Health care costs high

2.5