FairPoint Communications Employee Reviews

Great people, hard workers but needs leadership
Technician (Current Employee) –  NHDecember 28, 2015
Not as good as it used to be when we were Verizon. Sadly, the customers agree. Hopefully we can get back to providing the superior service we once did.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Scheduling
advancement
Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) –  Perry, FLDecember 6, 2015
there is little to no advancement and the job security is going away they are spending less and less money to market there products
Pros
freedom, manger contractors, mange your time
Cons
Job Security
Telecommunications Company
Manager Wholesale Collections & Billing (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 1, 2015
Always changing environment that is always evolving. Its fun to see this and to move with the company as new things are discovered and teams shift to care for the current technology to ensure the customer is cared for with efficiency.
Pros
Flex schedules
good company
COMBINATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  MaineNovember 24, 2015
I would refer someone to work for fairpoint it is a good company, I would consider working for them again hard work, but always something new to learn and new challenges. very mind provoking job.
Pros
company vehicle good compensation
Cons
they laid me off
Very stale office environment
Central Office Technician (CSMC) (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHSeptember 15, 2015
A typical day at work involved me answering phones and troubleshooting many different types of digital and analog circuits with technicians and customers. My manager was very friendly and nice but the work was monotonous. I worked in a union so my coworkers were nice and there was little competition for upward mobility among us. The hardest part of the job was learning the new technology and relaying the new knowledge to my peers. The most enjoyable part of my job was the type of work I did and the company of my coworkers.
Pros
The pay, benefits, vacation time, steady work
Cons
Unable to work from home, Almost monotonous feel, Quiet shift (2nd shift), Union vs. Management mentality
Terrible work environment
Customer Service Central Office Technician (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 30, 2015
Terrible work environment. Relationship between associates and management is awful. Tension is apparent at all times. Training is non-existent and associates are left to figure out situaions on their own.
Great co-workers all with the same goal; to provide excellent customer service
Business client support (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTAugust 3, 2015
I truly enjoyed my job as a Business Client Support Representative. I absolutely loved providing my customers and sales team excellent customer service. The hardest part of my job was being held back by the systems that we used daily to process orders. My direct Supervisor/Team Leader was easy to work for and appreciated the work that I did. Executive management had no idea of the importance of this department and the great work that was done. Our department was closed in July 2015 and I was laid off after 24 1/2 years of service.
Pros
Great compensation and co-workers (work family)
Cons
Being laid off after 24+ years of dedicated service
great job, lousy upper management
Central Office Technician (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 1, 2015
great job to perform, lousy upper management in the company. Would go back if recalled only because of service time lost.
Pros
good wage, good job
Cons
company run by people who are not phone company people
lifetime of telecommunication equipment and software to learn from
Installation and maintenance specialist (Current Employee) –  brunswick maineJuly 18, 2015
I learn something new every single day. I cant wait to see whats next. My manager is great. I have had two and both were helpful and sincere. The coworkers I have worked with are awesome. The hardest part would be the weather. For safety reasons we are not permitted to work during thunder/lightning storms. Best part would be anything new I learned and the customers appreciation when the job is done.
Good place to earn a living
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New HampshireJune 11, 2015
This was a great paying job and good benefits. You can work your way up the ladder and learn a lot about the telecom industry.
Failing Company
cot (Current Employee) –  manchester nhMay 19, 2015
Layoffs, Poor management. Major malfunctions. This company has gone through many changes and continues to deteriorate. The environment has become quite negative and unhappy.
Unstable Company in the Industry
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 19, 2015
My typical day is helping my Co-workers correct orders and assist them with their order issues.

I have learned how to be a better team player.

My co-workers are the best - we work together to do the best for our customers
FairPoint Review
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 16, 2015
Upper management was not involved in many aspects of the business. Only concerned with revenue. Flexibility is nice as long as you hit your number. Overall I enjoyed the job.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Constant new challenges of job make every day different and rewarding
Central Office Technician, CSMC (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 12, 2015
Working with latest and cutting edge Transport equipment; Hardware, and Software make every day different, challenging, and exciting. The faced paced and ever changing IT industry forces each employee to test and exceed their boundaries every day in order to stay at the forefront of this exciting field. New equipment and processes make working as a team imperative to staying successful and my co-workers are the best in the industry. Working with this experienced and elite work force makes it easy to satisfy our customers needs in a timely and professional manner and that is the best part of the job.
This is a struggling telco without stability
Manager OSS Inventory Provisioning and Activation (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTApril 30, 2015
Most of the systems work is contracted out.
The hardest part was the extended time it took to get things accomplished.
Management turnover is frequent.
The most enjoyable part is working with friendly co-workers.
Pros
Easy commute
Cons
Health care costs high
Best job I ever had
Data Manager (Former Employee) –  East Greenbush ,NYApril 2, 2015
This job was everyone's dream job, great people and great pay. these jobs only come once in a lifetime. Unfortunately the business was sold after we build a great company.
Pros
everything about the job people, environment
Very good company in the New England Region
Senior Central Office Technician (Former Employee) –  White River Junction, VTMarch 28, 2015
I loved my job at Fairpoint. I would like another job like this one. I kept 17 Central Offices going at the same time and was a very important asset in this strike. I had a great Manager.
Pros
Overtime
Rapid professional advancement
IT Director (Current Employee) –  Manchester NHMarch 21, 2015
I am working with a fine group of IT professionals who more often than not put the job before personal commitments.

I joined FairPoint as an individual contributor and quickly assumed the role of Director of Infra,
Variety in day to day activities which is nice
Splice Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Dummerston, VTFebruary 10, 2015
I enjoy my job and that no 2 days are alike. In my position I feel like your constantly learning more on a daily basis. I am in a dept. that you need to be a self motivated individual as well as be able to work well with others.
productive work place. Great customers
Wholesale Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 9, 2015
Fairpoint has a lot of pro's and con's about it. The company itself is not that strong however the jobs and duties I preformed I really enjoyed
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not a strong company to work for