FairPoint Communications Employee Reviews

Telecom company that is trying to transition to a technology business
Sr Dirctor (Current Employee) –  New HampshireFebruary 8, 2017
Interesting place, technology is catching up but still behind in a lot of ways. Adapting slowly to meet the competition, but continuous OPEX and CAPEX cuts deter forward growth potential.
Pros
Good people
Cons
financially not able to atch up to the competition
Old legacy technology
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 24, 2017
A great place to work if one had enough seniority, though growth options were extremely limited. The company is struggling to provide up to date technology
Pros
Benefits package, salary, life balance
Cons
rigid and hostile union and management relationship
Contract
NOC TECH / Installation and Repair (I&R) (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEJanuary 23, 2017
Great challenges from central office and NOC within Maine and its surrounding. Management quiet welcome since strike cause so much damages and customers complaints.
Pros
WEATHER
Cons
MORE RESPONSIBILITY
Poorly run business
CENTRAL OFFICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Derry, NHJanuary 19, 2017
Upper management does not care about customers or employees. Pay is good. Morale is very bad. No training since becoming Fairpoint
fast paced, working with other departments to achive goals
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 6, 2017
Typical day is anything but typical. Depending on the department your working in could be routine or very fast paced. I have had the opportunity to work in both environments within the company. My co-workers are fabulous, hard working individuals who strive to give the best possible customer service. I have learned a great deal about myself, customer service and many skills that make me proficient at my job.
The hardest part of the job is when the company makes cuts and the out come effects customer service or your ability to do you job effectively.
The most enjoyable part of my job was doing my share providing a service to the community and working in an office environment that allows room for growth.
High paced
IHD supervisor service rep (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJanuary 3, 2017
I stayed through thick and thin even through the many companies that owned us. The customers were the most important to me. Made many good friends at work. And learned alot of skills, computer, telephone customer service and how to adhere to a strict schedule. Attendance was a high priority.
Pros
Dealing with people
Cons
Being obed all the time
Good place to learn
IT Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHDecember 14, 2016
Work is not very challenging, but if you are motivated, there is a lot of opportunities to teach yourself a lot. Access to a lot of applications and platforms to broaden ones skills.
Pros
Relaxed, laid back environment
Cons
Unlikely chance to advance in position or pay
Great small company to work for
Combination Field Tech (Former Employee) –  Mosca, CODecember 11, 2016
The best part of this job was the fact that I was allowed to learn a new career and I learned a lot, it was a struggle getting my foot in the door because of my gender but I proved them wrong. Wages were great for the area, benefits were good and the schedule was awesome. Loved meeting people
Pros
On the job experience
Cons
Central Office / NOC Technician (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHDecember 6, 2016
I am thankful of my time at Fairpoint Communications, I have learned that is it important to take care of your employees and they will take care of you! daily activities including anwsering calls, building trouble reports and working closely with customer's and technician's to resolve network issues.
Good money/ bad life balance type of job
Operator Services/ Operations (Former Employee) –  Chatham, NYDecember 1, 2016
This job is a fast paced, make decisions on the fly, type of job.
Co workers are the best and management could learn to be alittle more hands on. Absolutely no advancement except for the 'chosen very few'.
Pros
Garage parking in the winter
Cons
Never enough help
Management and Union
Management (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHNovember 24, 2016
Management is disillusioned thinking they are improving the company. The union is disillusioned thinking they are saving the company. In reality they are both running the company into the ground by abusing their customers and offering out dated technology as state-of-the-art. Unfortunately, neither management or the union is smart enough to realize that the tech they are implementing was old 8 years ago. They are no longer a phone company but an ISP. As such they will continue to bleed until the company's culture adjusts.

With all that there are some really great people working there that make the job worth doing. I wish the luck.
Small time company buying in to an industry in need of growth
Consumer Support & Resolutions Lead (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 17, 2016
This company acquired Verizon landline services in NH, ME, & VT and has done nothing to grow the business or customer base.
Team environment , good management
Technical Project Manager/ Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 10, 2016
Well managed, professional, attentive to staff success. Flexible in that they allow you to work from the house if personal issues dictate
Pros
Can work from home when required
Cons
As a contractor not paid for holidays or vaction time
Regarding work experience with RNF technology.
UI Developer (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 3, 2016
It was great working with RNF technology,got a chance to work in a good environment .Team was supportive as well as management.
In my opinion Fairpoint is heading in the wrong direction making it less enjoyable with each change they make.
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 14, 2016
I normally would start my day reviewing and answering emails. Next I would work on projects some of which were small and could be completed in a short amount of time to jobs that would be large and complex taking days or week to complete. I also would go to job sites to leave equipment to complete the project or to look over the job and talk to the technician that would be completing the job before drawing and writing it up. I enjoyed most working with the technicians we enjoyed a very good relationship. I cannot say any part of my job was particularly difficult other than possibly when jobs had to be rushed because someone waited until the last minute to notify us about it. My only fault with management is they seem to be enacting policy on the classic side of Faipoint to same policies as the old Verizon alienating many of the classic workers, making it more difficult to complete the work and more costly to do the work.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
dealing with the non productive changes the company keeps making.
Fairpoint Communications
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  South Burlinton VermontApril 13, 2016
Fairpoint has some very skilled employees, unfortunately about two weeks after joining the sales department, the Company went on strike, and some potential opportunities that were described to me disappeared. As a result, it became a serious challenge. That is to say, Fairpoint needed to make some changes, but my timing was not very good. The management is talented, but became distant. I enjoy working with customers and carriers in this industry.
Great people, hard workers but needs leadership
Technician (Current Employee) –  NHDecember 28, 2015
Not as good as it used to be when we were Verizon. Sadly, the customers agree. Hopefully we can get back to providing the superior service we once did.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Scheduling
advancement
Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) –  Perry, FLDecember 6, 2015
there is little to no advancement and the job security is going away they are spending less and less money to market there products
Pros
freedom, manger contractors, mange your time
Cons
Job Security
Telecommunications Company
Manager Wholesale Collections & Billing (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 1, 2015
Always changing environment that is always evolving. Its fun to see this and to move with the company as new things are discovered and teams shift to care for the current technology to ensure the customer is cared for with efficiency.
Pros
Flex schedules
good company
COMBINATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  MaineNovember 24, 2015
I would refer someone to work for fairpoint it is a good company, I would consider working for them again hard work, but always something new to learn and new challenges. very mind provoking job.
Pros
company vehicle good compensation
Cons
they laid me off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FairPoint Communications. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5