Family Behavioral Resources Employee Reviews

Great supervisors, flexible schedule
TSS-Therapeutic Support Staff, Children (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAApril 2, 2017
Great supervisors, flexible schedule, would not be leaving the company except that we are relocating to Tennessee. Loved this job and would recommend to anyone.
productive
Mobile Therapist (Current Employee) –  North Huntingdon, PAMarch 1, 2017
FBR provided opportunities to enhance and grow as a mental health professional. Plenty of opportunity to take on cases and use different modalities.
Very rewarding career
Therapeutic Staff Support (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAFebruary 6, 2017
Going to work everyday and knowing that you are helping a special needs child work towards becoming independent is very rewarding
Cons
Hours
Fbr
Therapeutic Support Staff (TSS) (Current Employee) –  Indiana, PAFebruary 5, 2017
FBR is ok to work for the hours are long and not certain. i have enjoyed working there and would like to continue my career.The work staff have been enjoyable and easy to work with
Pros
The Work staff are very nice
A supportive environment.
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 20, 2016
While most work was done on an individual basis, it was nice to know there was a supportive team in the background. The leadership personnel was always willing to help and answer questions.
The schedule was difficult to manage and there was limited medical and fiancial compensation.
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PADecember 12, 2016
As a TSS one needed to have availability for school hours, home hours and community hours, especially if the employee wished to obtain substantial hours. A TSS only receives payment if the TSS is in contact with the client, therefore if the client doesn't show or cancels the TSS does not receive compensation. Because of this limiting schedule and holes in opportunity to reach required hours pay was not rewarding and there was no opportunity for health care.
Pros
My direct manager was a delight to work for!
Cons
Pay, much travel time in personal vehicle, no health insurance, inability to work with school schedule.
Good company but very uncoventional hours
Therapeutic Supportive Staff (TSS) (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15237November 3, 2016
The concept of Family Behavioral Resources is wonderful helping those that are born with difficulties to adapt to every day life is wonderful. Achieving that goal though is mentally and physically challenging. The work requires someone that is very creative and can think outside the box. Not all of the work is enjoyable though; you can be put in situations that are difficult and sometimes just not comfortable (emotionally or physically). Some clients have more severe needs than others. I was personally put into a situation where I no longer felt safe due to the physical capabilities and needs of my client and therefore ended up leaving the company because they would not take me off of the case. You have to be a very emotionally strong person to be able to do this job. However when you do achieve your goal it is an amazing feeling. The company though has strict guidelines that do not always follow the needs/wants of the family which puts the therapists in a tough position. Your ultimate goal is to help the family and it can be very frustrating when you can't do that. Some families have chosen other therapy routes for this reason. It is more of an organization goal than truly patient oriented goals. Also the training of the employees is poor at best. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone that does not already have a few years of experience in the field. Overall it's a great concept but is poorly executed at best.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Emotionally draining and difficult work
previous experience being a field person in any job would be helpful
TSS Worker, BSC (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 17, 2016
I worked at FBR at multiple offices in pittsburgh for 4-5 years in different positions. I started as a TSS and ended as a BSC/MT. I found working at fbr to be simultaneously stable yet chaotic. This may be due to the company having a huge over haul during my time there. it was a great entry experience into the world of mental health/behavioral work leaning on the clinical side but burnout is very likely because of the culture of the agency and people being over-worked. highdemand, low pay and low support for field employees leads to stress for both managers and staff. that being said, I am not sure that isn't just the nature of the work and less a reflection on FBR and more on the larger systemic issues nationally with mental health vs insurance. My advice for anyone considering employment with FBR as a "field technician" is to have a personal life that is flexible. you must be in control and sustain boundaries with not only FBR over the work/life balance but also boundaries with clients considering overhead support is generally unreachable. turn over is high because of this point. take little steps as you are educated on how to do the job, and remain firm in what you want from the position. I would never consider this a full time job- pay wise. the work is too inconsistent- I had two other part time jobs I did alongside. I felt those who were successful in field work (my co-workers), came in with a pre-established expectation of what it would be like. not low expectations per say but one must be forgiving and flexible with not being in control of your work life, things are  more... always changing and updating, managers are always turning over- that is the one constant- if your okay with that- and see it as just a job and can multi-task and be organized regardless of instablility in your world then apply! there will always be work for you and once you get the knack of it- or what kind of clients/hours/locations you want to be in, then you are in control and can make the job work for you for the long term.  less
Pros
make your own schedule, get back what you put in, entry experiences with mental health
Cons
pay is a mess. high turn over affects office culture.
Nice workplace
Mobile Therapist/Licensed Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PASeptember 29, 2016
Lots of travel, reimbursed travel, high weekly hours for full-time case load.

Great support form coworkers, ample training available for professional development.
Poor leadership, no integrity
Employee (Former Employee) –  PASeptember 26, 2016
I have seen things change from bad to worse over the past few years. Corporate management is awful, rules change all the time (and you are rarely notified of the changes until you do something "wrong"), and zero consideration or respect is given to the people who serve as the "face of the company." If you are thinking about applying, I would highly recommend thinking again. Office-level management is generally nice & supportive, but they have NO decision making power & will often make promises they are unable to keep in order to get/keep employees. Working with clients is wonderful, but the poor leadership, ever changing "vision," and deliberate deception far outweigh the positive aspects of any job here.
Pros
working with children, OK training, adequate compensation
Cons
dishonest leadership, unstable company, constant turnover of management
Poorly run, deceptive practices
Mobile Therapist (Former Employee) –  Duncansville, PAAugust 28, 2016
Poorly run company interested principally in billing Insurance companies. Inexperienced staff, minimal training, lack of compensation for hours of travel, paperwork.,
Fbr
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 8, 2016
Very flexible work schedule, awesome and diverse populations and co-workers, awesome online and in person trainings, good entry level experience for TSS and BSC/MT, very cooperative and encouraging management
Such ashame
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2016
It is such a shame that a home grown business that truly truly cared about the consumers that were served were put by the wayside and all that is cared about is money money money. Good caring people lost their jobs so they could have more money. Client care is comprised.
Pros
None anymore
Cons
No respect for people. Money hungry.
Met great families
Therapeutic Staff Support (Current Employee) –  North Huntingdon, PAMay 17, 2016
I had very good supervisors that answered any questions I had. I met many great families and kids during my time there. There was not a typical day there because everyone day could be different.
Great Mission and passionate
Community Inclusion (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 8, 2016
Rewarding job with passionate co workers and supervisors. Great experience in learning about Austim and other developmental disorders.
Pros
Rewarding, management, flexibility, experiences
Cons
Distance at times
Great for new grads but not a good career path
Therapeutic Staff Support/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 18, 2016
This is a great job for Psych grads who are new to the field and want to gain valuable experience. This is hands on experience and really tough but is excellent on your resume for a psychology future.
Pros
the pros about fbr is that people are great and your schedule is flexible
Cons
the cons are that you may not always work with the best families, you will encounter several problems at some point or the other as this is a sensitive field
All This Work For Next to Nothing
Therapuetic support staff (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, PAFebruary 18, 2016
I was supposed to get about 36 hours a week but thanks to management not knowing a schedule, that never happened. I am now working at around 20 hours. DO NOT let them convince you that you will get full time hours. You will NOT.

Even at 13.50 an hour, the pay is bad and that's not considering what else you do in addition to Therapuetic Support Staff: you become a home aid, a teacher, and in some cases, a parent (figuratively speaking). Like the title says: all of this work for next to nothing. In addition to regular pay, there is compensation such as travel...but it is TERRIBLE. In short, you are better off not even worrying about tracking travel time. Also, you are not compwnsated by miles, but by time spent traveling. This is a place where I have actually lost money working at.

Moreover, the company makes use of an ipad for ALL documentation and the app LOVES to stop working quite frequently. So if it goes down while you are working, you don't get paid and the company gets free labor.

In all seriousness, FBR is good if you need a second job, but do not make it your sole income. But be prepared for awful management and expect to do alot of work and be paid very little for it.

The work itself is very rewarding but for all that one has to put up with, it isn't worth it.
Pros
Working with the kids is VERY rewarding
Cons
Terrible pay, lack of hours, lack of compensation, bad management, lack of communication
Lovely co-workers, sub-par management.
Therapeutic Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, PAJanuary 23, 2016
The most important part of this job are your clients. To be honest, they are the best part of the jobs as well. Sadly, don't expect the hours they promise you upon hire. Due to clients' availability, you will probably never see "full-time" hours, despite being hired as a full-time employee. Additionally, the drives they expect you to make are impossible. You may have 45 minutes between clients, but are expected to travel over 60 minutes and still make it on time. You won't be able to decline cases due to this or you will be threatened to lose your full-time status, which includes your health benefits and vacation hours. It's a great job to get that "1 year experience" that most employers require, but don't plan on trying to make a home out of FBR.
Pros
Great clients, fun and honest co-workers
Cons
Unreasonable expectations, very poor management
Never Believe A Word They Say
TSS (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, PAJanuary 21, 2016
I was supposed to get at least 35 hours being full time, but that was a lie. I am now down to currently around 20 hours. The pay is awful especially for a Bachelor's degree. Moreover, there is travel compensation, but it is awful. You are honestly better off not even keeping track of it. The company makes use of an iPad for its employees and the app that is utilized likes to stop working alot. And when that happens, your notes for the day will be lost and if they got lost, no pay. Also, there is no set schedule so week to week is varied. Meaning that a family can call you off. You are also practically expected to work almost all day but will only be paid for about 9 hours if you are lucky. I honestly have never worked harder in my life to be rewarded so little.
Pros
Working with the kids is very rewarding
Cons
bad pay, bad compensation, no full time, scheudle week to week is never guaranteed
Stepping stone only, not long term
Clinical Therapist / Program Director (Former Employee) –  PADecember 14, 2015
I suggest only taking a job with this company if you're desperate or a beginner in the field. Oh the drama and what a mess the place is!! The management perpetuates the drama instead of dealing with it. Probably why the company is a total mess. Now a company in New England area owns it, and it went down hill in a hurry. They go through staff like a fast food drive through. All about the money is understandable, but geez, what about the field itself, your employees etc.
Pros
a job
Cons
poor company overall

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Behavioral Resources. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6