Family Business Employee Reviews

simple, easy to learn and work environments.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 6, 2016
Work hours varies each month. Spring and fall require more work than usual. Very flexible work schedule due to nature of work.
I learned how to paint, clean, manage the rental property, some laws regarding rental property, making appointments and other related skills.
Every work I do, I learn more and more each time.
Hardest part is dealing with unreasonable tenants who only care about their needs, ignoring contracts and rules and tenants who demand their needs but not willing to work out with landlord.

Most enjoyable part is flexible schedule, getting to know tenants and learning experiences that I can use later in my life and will saves me lots of money (repairing simple damages at home, painting, filling papers, how to deal with angry tenants, customer services, etc.).
Pros
Free meals after long hours of work, flexible schedule, learning experience that is useful in real life outside of work
Cons
Dealing with unreasonable tenants (not very often but there's always one or two)
Family owned business.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXAugust 2, 2012
• Direct and coordinate activities of businesses or departments concerned with the production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products. Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, conferring with board members, organization officials, and staff members as necessary.
• Determine goods and services to be sold, and set prices and credit terms, based on forecasts of customer demand. Oversee activities directly related to making products or providing services. Review financial statements, sales and activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and program improvement. Determine staffing requirements, and interview, hire and train new employees, or oversee those personnel processes. Manage staff, preparing work schedules and assigning specific duties.
Pros
lots of freedom.
Cons
handling 18 employees.
This position allowed me to create educational and networking programs, evaluate results and adapt or adjust as necessary to be valuable to members.
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2012
Many hours were needed to accomplish my work in a productive way, but my time was flexible and self-managed. I learned it is very difficult to get things done when your support system is frequently absent or unable to produce work on schedule. Management was a bit challenging, in that the supervisory role in the department was in flux. I had a great co-worker that provided a mutual support system to brainstorm and accomplish our work successfully. The hardest part of the job was not having infrastructure available to deliver our services, and the need for me to create or find everything I needed on my own - it took time from the main focus of my job. The commute to work was easy and there were many people on campus that I enjoyed.
Pros
great benefits, good commute
Cons
lack of good leadership, support and team effort
productive, family importance
Assistant Laborer (Former Employee) –  chesapeake, vaJune 6, 2013
Great values, morals and respect because it was only my father and I. There was very little to be learned since I have been doing this kind of work with my father off and on for many years. The co-workers and managers were only my father and I. The hardest part of the job would have to be working in the summer heat with no ac, only some fans and lifting extremely heavy or long metal plates by yourself using pulleys and hoists. There were no set hours on when to work, just a deadline on when it needed to be finished, my dad and I always worked 12-16 hours rarely 18 hours a day until the job was finished. Once it was finished we could use the rest of the 7-10 days for completing the job early for fun or relaxation.
Pros
work the hours you want, work with family
Family fun
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Christiansburg, OHSeptember 10, 2014
I don't regularly work at my family's business but when I do I help my grandma with organization, paper work, answering the phone, etc
I have learned a lot about different business skills which is what caused me to start going to school to earn a degreee in business administration.
My grandma is good at management however she needs help which is why I am also going to school.
My co-workers are my family and I get along with them for the most part.
The hardest part of the job is constructing the molds and lifting the heavy materials.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom to talk with people while you work and learn what is going on in their lives.
Pros
working with family, helping the business grow
Cons
the pay, the hours(not enough)
Hard but satisfying job.
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Hemet, CAAugust 5, 2014
-A typical day at work consists of being there for my great grandma with Alzheimer's and Dementia and making sure that she does not harm herself or others.

-While working with my great grandma I have learned how to be even more patient and understanding. Especially because half of the time she is too confused to even remember the most simplest things, such as eating or changing her clothes every day.

-The hardest part of the job is when she goes into those fits of anger because she can't remember anything and lashes out on me. I know that it's not personal, but sometimes it's hard not to be hurt by it.

-The most enjoyable part of the job is when she is in her right mind and I get to just sit and talk with her.
Property Manager
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 24, 2013
A typical day begins by reviewing and prioritizing the list of jobs to accomplish and then completing them. Upon prioritizing what needs to be done, I gather the tools and materials I will need to complete the jobs without interruption. If an unforseen events occur, I try to address them as quickly as possible so as to finish the planned jobs. Otherwise, I will try to find a stopping point and subsequently return as quickly as possible.
Pros
working independently and feeling a sense of accomplishment when jobs are completed.
Cons
not close enough to my career interests, previous work experience and education.
Productive Workplace
Lawn Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Rex, GAJanuary 27, 2015
typical day at work would consist of care take of a lawn, do any maintenance needed to the yard and or machinery. i learned to use power tools, learned how to use exquisite customer service as well. my co-workers were other family members around my age who were also wanting a little small job. hardest part was working the long hour days but it all was a lesson learned that hard work eventually pays of as it teaches you character. the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customers expression when our job was complete.
Pros
gaining character and muscle
Cons
short breaks, not enough hours to work
Challenging and interesting
Event Videographer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento CaJune 26, 2015
Wedding video is challenging because the event can not be redone in the event that something is missed or taken at a wrong angle. It requires much attention to detail and in predicting the next event in order to get the right coverage. With the rapid change in technology, new camera settings have to be learned often.
I do enjoy the wedding setting. Everyone looks fantastic and the surroundings are beautiful.
Pros
Beautiful people and surroundings and sometimes a nice dinner is provided
Cons
Stressful in getting the right camera settings and video coverage
Overall great place to work for there just wasn't any room for me to advance that being said it just wasn't a place I saw myself being able to stay at
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Columbus,OHJune 21, 2015
We would typically work anywhere from 10-12 hour days 5-6 days a week depending on work load. Never had any problems with any co-workers or management as we all got along very well and acted as a team. The hardest part of the job would honestly have to be the long days from time to time and the most enjoyable part would have to be seeing a project from start to finish.
Pros
Long hours with over time, great work culture.
Cons
Little to no breaks, No room for advancement.
family business
Business development consultant (Current Employee) –  Home base officeAugust 28, 2013
On a weekly basis, I would review all sales, customers' profiles, study market activities through influx businesses, predict future business, look for new ways of doing business and improve overall business.

Basic accounting and bookkeeping are done weekly.

As part of business development for hospital dentist: I just started to work with California Hospital Dentist Group. My main responsibility is to do anything and everything to launch this group by beginning of 2014.
Pros
i operate on my own schedule
Cons
family business
There were no fun place at my family business.
human resources (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CASeptember 19, 2014
Typically the day at work were soothing and the day were as normal as any other day. The job was kind of difficult at first was I learn quick so it was no problem. Things I manage at my family business would be the nail salon product that needed to be sorted out. The hardest part of the job was when customer were overwhelming hwne coming in but it can be easily be done when getting use to it and adapting to the situation quickly.
Pros
there were break that i had during the job
Cons
lot of customer
Any business is hard work, but a Restaurant is extreme.
Restaurant Partner (Former Employee) –  New Boston, NHAugust 23, 2013
The family had the opportunity to purchase a beautiful 7 acre property on a river with a restaurant and rental property. For 5 years the property prospered until the winter of 2009 when we were closed due to the economic downturn and a series of winter storms closed all accesses to the town and the restaurant for 45 days. After which the business of unrecoverable and the restaurant was closed and sold.
Pros
not sure there are any
Cons
its the hardest work you will ever do.
manuel labor and hard hours
Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  altus GAMarch 28, 2013
typical day required me to herd cattle, collect eggs, and take care of deceased chickens. the most enjoyable part of the job was herding the cattle becuase it wasn't me on a horse making them walk into a cage, it was me standing in specific places and have them charge towards me aso i can flail my arms to scare the living heck out of them and they turn into the holding areas. every part of the job was the hardest part of the job thats what made it great.
Pros
hour long lunch break
Cons
get covered in animal dung
I make the salary increase 50% since I take over my family business.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 3, 2015
At first I was a little scare to manage the business as a newly graduated student. My family partner taught me a lot experience to be a good business man. I manage the staffs, goods and make schedule for employee. It really difficult to make the elders follow you at beginning. I learn to how to communicate with them and show the effective way to make business better.
As the business grow up and my team enjoy in the work, it's really proud of me.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
overwork
on call duties to various apartments around the jackson , madison area and also sub contract homes for awesome realty
Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 5, 2015
I've learned how to do small electrical work, build cabinets, minor plumbing and roofing as well as framing, painting industrial buildings also hox to mix epoxy for all purpose flooring, s-60 boom lift operation, spray painting and various other new jobs
Pros
great learning facility, effective job approachment
Cons
seasonal jobs, no healthcare, no consistant jobs throughout the year
A fast paced environment, all hands on work, and physical.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento CAMarch 18, 2013
I worked Monday through Friday and about 30 hours a week. My job was to do Property renovation/rehabilitation/remodeling which includes the following: Flooring, Roofing, , landscaping, Installation (doors, windows, kitchen cabinets, etc), painting, siding, finish work, and cleaning of the property. There was a crew of 5 individuals and we worked all together. The job was always hard work and tiring but that is what i enjoy doing.
I worked for my family so it was great.
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAJanuary 27, 2016
My father runs a private business and let me have authority over a lot of things while I lived at home. I was warehouse manager so I organized product, listed product to sell, and hired people. I also helped with researching product and purchasing it at auction. There was a lot of heavy lifting but I enjoyed the creative freedom I was given to run things. I still help from college.
Pros
Work whenever I want
Cons
If I messed something up I live with my boss.
Trustworthy group and enjoyable to be around
Repairman Home Repair (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJanuary 7, 2013
Hardest part was giving care to two of my family members in times of bad health.

The most enjoyable things about the job were getting to see family often and being able to help family.

Work was variable during this time but may include a day of painting and minor repairs to fixing meals and being a taxi service for someone.

Learning patience and to be responsible was something that I achieved during this time.
Productive , Goals met, Ready to get back to work ( with benefits)
Raising Family /Parents/ Family Business (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 1, 2014
See Resume for all 20+ years of Management employment.

These past few years I had the luxury of taking time off to care for my family until they are ready for school, my parents and friends had terminal illnesses and I was their caretaker, my husband and I started a family business in the Abatement Field.
Pros
being there for my family
Cons
no benefits

4.4