Family Dollar Stores, INC Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun Place to Work
SD Project Manager (Former Employee), Mathews NCMay 6, 2015
New store set up or Remodel
I learned how a company can make someone feel like family
Management was awesome
Co-workers were very good
Hardest part of job was trying to motivate employees to work and execute project on time
I enjoyed everyday of my job at Family Dollar Corporate.
Poor job culture
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee), Sandersville, GAApril 30, 2015
There is a true lack in what they deem to be leaders. The turnover rate is abysmal. It is sad that people are treated as numbers.
A typical day at work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Cantonment, FLApril 16, 2015
Pros: Never had to look at the clock, never bored.
Cons: Having to throw away perfectly good stuff!!
We all knew what needed to be done and we did it. Everyone participated and worked their hardest every day. When the truck came in everyone pitched in and got it unloaded within the time frame allowed, and we had it all put away in a matter of days.
Productive and Challenging Enviornment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 31, 2015
A regular work day in Family Dollar Stores, Inc. consisted of starting with counting the safe, cigarette sales and all registers for accuracy. Filing papers in numeric/alphabetic order in regards to vendors and the Kiosk system. Checking daily e-mail's from district managers about payroll, markdowns, recalled items, upcoming sales and promotions, etc. Helping and managing the team on sales floor with stocking items in an efficient manner according to planogram description. Helping customers with any questions about store items and/or general concerns.

Customer service skills was a big part of working at a retail store such as Family Dollar. I learned that despite anything, always remain friendly, calm and the mediator of any situation. I also learned how to manage a team of individuals with different characteristics and get the job done 100%. I always had the best of managers and co-workers to share the day with.

The hardest thing about working for Family Dollar was dealing with the daily shoplifting that took place.

The three most enjoyable things about working for Family Dollar were, first: currency handling, because I love mathematics. Second, filing papers because I love writing and organization. Third, aiding customers with their needs.
I enjoyed working there.
CSR/CASHIER (Former Employee), Longview, TXMarch 14, 2015
Pros: worked with and helped people
Cons: not enough help and hours cut
I enjoyed working at Family Dollar as a Customer Service Representative/Cashier and wanted to continue,however, due to the location transitioning from Franchisor to Corporate Store my hours were cut to single digits.

I enjoyed the stocking, helping customers, re-positioning product, cashiering, etc. I would work on our cash register(computerized.) and I re-learned about current cashiering duties and stocking/marketing duties, and assisted with helping customers with financial issues. I enjoyed and would do it again.
Great, Fun Place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), st.petersburg, flMarch 9, 2015
Pros: fun, laid back, easy to climb up chain
Cons: not enough pay or hours
I Liked The people I worked with at Family Dollar. The Company is great and it was not overly difficult to move up in the company. I became an assistant manager in a little less than a year. Although it was fun and sometimes easy to lose focus by enjoying customer conversation there was still a lot of work that had to be done but done easily. MY overall experience was good. I got a lot of work and life experience working there. You will meet a lot of different personalities not only because of the people you work with but the customers that come in the store.
Great Retail Opportunity
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Monroe, MIFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: teamwork
Satisfied my desire to work in an environment very similar to my experience at CVS in New York. I enjoyed merchandising, customer service, office work, inventory management. Exciting to be a part of a team who was able to increase the yearly store sales
Co-workers with varied career backgrounds providing opportunities to grow your personal experience and knowledge.
Apparel Merchandising Coordinator (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 2, 2015
Many opportunities for advancement whether in corporate office or field.
Family Dollar
Construction Manager (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 24, 2014
Pros: company car, travel expense
Cons: non-team like environment
Immediate supervisor, great to work for. Company is going through a touch transition so things are very different from when I first came a board.
Transportation (Current Employee), DistributionNovember 24, 2014
The pay and benefits are fair. The company cares about people and I have learned a great deal about supply chain since starting with Family Dollar. The position I hold is challenging and I feel like I run my own business because I make the majority of the decisions.
Long Work Days
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Port Wentworth, GANovember 17, 2014
Pros: pay was reasonable
Cons: no time off
Hard to find the right people for the job. Manager works long hours with few days off
Good Place to Work
Project / Process Manager (Current Employee), Matthews NCOctober 10, 2014
Pros: work life balance
Cons: unknown future of organization
Excellent work/life balance
The company cares about the health and well being of its Corporate employees.
GOOD
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: quick advancements
Cons: wages
HAD A CONFLICT WITH AREA MANAGER AND WILL EXPLAIN AT TIME OF INTERVIEW. BUT OVERALL, IT WAS A NICE PLACE TO WORK, THE ADVANCEMENT IS QUICK IF YOU KNOW THE KNOWLEDGE OF RUNNING THE STORE.
Small Format discount retail store
Training Store Manager (Current Employee), Framingham, MassachusettsSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: lack of work/ life balance and down time
Family Dollar has provided me with the experience needed to be successful in my career, on the job and hands on training, and 100% dedication has molded me into the manager I am today.
As a family dollar manager we work as a close team to make the store a compelling place to shop and work for our team and customers. We sell items from seasonal goods to everyday household items.
As a training store manager I work with all members of the team to ensure everyone has the proper knowledge to complete all tasks and daily operations.
A typical day at family dollar is very hands on, we always multi task to complete the daily duties which may consist of Schematics, processing freight, merchandising and many other tasks related to running a muti-million dollar operation.
Retail Company
HR Shared Services Generalist (Current Employee), Matthews, NCAugust 2, 2014
I still work there and it is a typical Corporate job. I am in the HR department.
Life at Family Dollar
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great company culture
Cons: occasional disagreements between departments
I worked at Family Dollar for 12 1/2 years. I worked my way up from Secretary to Executive Assistant. A typical day for an Executive Assistant wasn't typical. At any time there was different event occurring.

I learned to be an event coordinator. To help my Senior Vice President prepare PowerPoint presentations for board meetings. And the majority of the time, create graphs and charts for those presentations in a timely manner.

I enjoyed my time at Family Dollar and the growth for me personally was great.
Family Oriented Environment
Cost Analyst (Former Employee), Matthew, NCJuly 28, 2014
Pros: very good work life balance
Cons: beginning compensation seems to be lower than other retailers
There is no "typical" / run of the mill work day at this company which keeps the associates from being idle. Management is committed to developing associates and there are many opportunities to increase skill set. Co-workers develop healthy bonds which is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Not a fair company to work for.
Manager (Former Employee), Bridgeton, NJJuly 27, 2014
The company doesn't provide enough hours for the store to be properly maintained. A lot is expected from their employees.
Fast paced, long hours
Customer Service Representative (cashier) (Former Employee), Poplarville, MSJune 26, 2014
It was horrible. Management was neglectful. There was hardly any training.
Decent starting job.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Irvington, NJMay 3, 2014
Great company to work for if your trying to get your foot in the door of retail.