Family Dollar Stores, INC

Family Dollar Stores, INC Employer Reviews

Decent starting job.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Irvington, NJMay 3, 2014
Great company to work for if your trying to get your foot in the door of retail.
It's better than no work if you are an honest person but not by much.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Springfield MOApril 7, 2014
Pros: it's better than not having a job like most of family dollar's customer base
Cons: you have to deal with welfare cheats and thieves on a daily basis, getting paid less than welfare cheats and thieves do
It's work but you would probably be better off trying to game the system Like the typical family dollar customer does. If entitlements ended tomorrow family dollar would likely end the day after.
Great Place to Work
Billing Analyst (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 24, 2014
Pros: sample sales
Cons: health care benefits
Welcomed at the door with Hello from our Security officer. I log in check emails to see if there is anything that needs my attention right away. I look at my 30 day pays to see when they are do and I fill out a card to pull the file and go pull them and work them. I return calls or make calls to Landlord asking for documentation that they may have missed – more... sending it to be reconciled or to answer any question they may have about their reconciliation. I enjoy speaking with Landlords and putting a personal touch to who they are speaking to making sure that they feel they that they have someone to talk to in this big growing company. The hardest part of the job is sometimes the volume of work that might come, it can be over whelming but I like that I can overcome this situation. My manager is a very good source to go to for questions and problems. She is the first to step in and talk to upper management if there is something that need to be improved. I enjoy working with the people in this company they are very hard workers in the Lease Administration and Store Maintenance department. Over all I really enjoy working at Family Dollar Corporate office. – less
Customer Service
STORE MANAGER/SALES (Former Employee), Richmond,VaMarch 2, 2014
Cons: opened on easter sunday
A typical day would be serviceing the customer, making sure all emails were read and answered handled any problems thaqt arose, went to bank, put out product,cleaned store, set plan a grams, time management.
Fast-paced; high pressured job
Senior Divisional Manager (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 26, 2014
Never board...a lot of different issues to make a store operate and run smoothly. Thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the work.
great place to work
Loss Prevention Consultant (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 28, 2014
I met great people and recieved a great experience. This was a great start in my career.
Family Dollar love the Customers
Store Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Jasper, GAJanuary 23, 2014
The customers were kind, funny, and I treated the great majority of them like a second family. I enjoyed the overall work but the people are what make it worth all the stress or long hours. Family Dollar was small retail department compared to most retail environments like Walmart or Target. The conversations and people skills are more individual based – more... if one would learn to apply them. I – less
Good Place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYJanuary 12, 2014
Its a good place to work and shop. Assists the Store Manager in loss prevention by maintaining a presence in the store an providing excellent customer service. Assist in maintaining record keeping including payroll, scheduling and cash register deposits/receipts. Assist in weekly ordering of merchandise using cycle counts to ensue in stock representation.
Potential to be a great place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: a job that definately had a lot of excitement
Cons: unfair treatment of employees and lack of security. inadequate pay for the workload
Took over a store with high shrinkage, eliminated the reason by identifying fraudulent sales transactions, bookkeeping, and internal theft, and in turn, lead the store with increased sales and lower shrinkage.
Potential to be a fun yet productive workplace
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Chincoteague Island, VADecember 23, 2013
Pros: flexibility in scheduling around personal needs/conflicts
Cons: lack of equal opportunity for advancement
Productive place to work when the right transparent and honest management is in place.
ok if you need just a job.
Customer Associate Rep (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 25, 2013
Pros: new employee benefits reformed
Cons: no job security
advancement is usually based on "who-ya-know" not what your quality work ethic is. Was told by a previous manager that as a low-end customer associate, i HAVE 0% JOB SECURITY AND THAT ONLY THE MANAGERS ARE GUARANTEED POSITION. this was to me and the rest of the employees in a meeting. Advice only to work there only if u absolutely need a job. Work there – more... for a year and a half and even after receiving notoriety from 3 different in-store managers, i was refused a raise from my now proven corrupted district manager. – less
With a great Managment crew it was a good place to work.
District Manager (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, CONovember 1, 2013
Pros: company car, phone, lunches. ability to write own scedule. able to hire own management staff.
Cons: long work hours. on call 24/7.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the time spent with my Management staff, and the ability to maximize profits with good hiring practices, organization and time management, and training. The hardest part of the job was dealing with situations that caused long work days, sometimes as much as 18-20 hours a day. The end results were satisfying, but – more... the road to that end result was sometimes very laborious.
I have learned to achieve excellence in several management categories; organizational and time management skills, communication, training, all leaning towards good people skills.
The work day consisted of visiting stores to ensure that all stores were being run profitably with daily tasks being completed correctly and on a timely basis. To ensure that the store's Associate's questions, issues, etc are being handled and answered. To solve any issues from a human resources, loss prevention, customer service, and operations. – less
Enjoyable contact with customers
Store Manager (Former Employee), Ludington, MIOctober 15, 2013
Enjoyed the day to day contact with many repeat customers. Thoroughly enjoyed working in customer service. Every day presented new challenges for which I was up to the task.
Productive workplace that cares about their employees.
Analyst- Kronos Application, Store Operations (Former Employee), Matthews, NCSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: compensation, benefits, friendly cowerkers, inter-office events
Cons: work load at times.
Working hard pays off. They take care of each and every employee and celebrate accomplishments with compensation and fun in-office activities. Hardest part about the job would be the amount of work vs. the amount of hours in a day to do it in. Sometimes there are too many meetings instead of decisions, but overall everyone's voice is heard.
I am interested in employment where I can grow both professionally & personally.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Blackwood, NJSeptember 17, 2013
Horrible employer who practice unfair firing practices. Bad managers who don't communicate with assistant managers.
Productive and fun place to work
Store Maintenance Billing Analyst (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCSeptember 13, 2013
A typical day at Family dollar was very productive and challenging. I learned a lot in accounts receivables and payables.
Management was great co-worker worked well.
productive
Cashier/Clerk (Current Employee), Miami, FLSeptember 4, 2013
Its a great place to work at, like all jobs you have your rude and nice customers. overall it's a pretty fun and exciting place. A typical day at family dollar is coming in and not leaving with out getting at least one customer fussing at you about something.
2 month management cycle
Stocker (Former Employee), capitol heightsJuly 5, 2013
great co workers but management sucks each manager last about 2 months
Constantly busy
Store Manager (Former Employee), 521 Jake Alexander Blvd., Salisbury, NCJune 28, 2013
Pros: paid vacations, stock purchases, insurance plan.
Cons: long hours short breaks.
As the store manager of a higher volume store you are constantly busy. From sweeping floors to stocking shelves and serving customers needs you are always on the run. The responsibility is a large task but with the right associates in place all becomes routine. Upper management is always helpful and willing to help when problems arise.

Overall good – more... company to work for! – less
Room for growth, a great way to meet people
Sales Associate/Management Trainee (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 29, 2013
Pros: interesting neighborhood
Cons: somewhat of a commute
A typical day entails opening the store, greeting customers, assisting customers with purchases, making sure they are satisfied on all levels, overseeing the floor operations to prevent any product losses, reporting any potential problems to upper management, troubleshooting problems between staff and customers, arranging incoming stock, ensuring the – more... store closing goes as efficiently as possible. I have learned how to move product quickly and to more easily understand people of different backgrounds. I started in Memphis, TN, which is a different mix of personalities than what I encounter here in upper Manhattan. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the demand because we are right next to a laundromat and several apartment buildings. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the various Manhattan characters. In one day I met a Rolling Stones fan, a bass player, a sanitation worker, a transit worker and a college professor. I am also learning a new Spanish word every day! – less

1 2 3