Family Dollar Employee Reviews

Found 6,914 reviews matching the search
Great co-workers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sumter, SCFebruary 20, 2017
I absolutely love my job, it's a great environment and great workers. The only down fall is working weekends and not having a set schedule
Pros
Working with people
Cons
Working weekends
alot of better places to work at
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bayville, NJFebruary 20, 2017
worked here for one year and 6 months only got a 25 cent rise good number of people would only work there for two weeks and then quit what does that tell you can't have any kind of life when you work for family dollar don't work for family dollar
Pros
Cons
alot
It was a great experience working for them
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJFebruary 20, 2017
I learned how not to let people run me over at this job an make sure people respect me as a human an not a child . Also the owner there taught me how to get respect from managers even if they don't like you . An to make sure I don't get put down by others or anyone in a higher position than myself
Pros
Great people
Cons
Short hours
Very challenging Work Place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Westampton, NJFebruary 20, 2017
Family Dollar requires a lot of labor along with short staffed and low hours. Being manager for the company has shown me a lot of responsibility and ownership.
Pros
benefical to a certain extent
Cons
alot of labor
productive and fast paced
ASSITANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 19, 2017
a typical day at work is getting to meet different customers everyday.
what I learned is to manage money and open up to people.
forwards management we is a strong team.
the workplace culture is all types.
the hardest part is to deal with a difficult customer.
the most enjoyable part of the job is working with my team.
a day at work
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAFebruary 19, 2017
being able to come to work with a positive mindset and being able to make the customers happy every time they enter the store and to make it a safe environment for them and their families.
Pros
hours
Cons
short
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAFebruary 19, 2017
I really enjoyed this place. I enjoyed what I did. My co-workers. They were nice and understanding. This job always keep you busy. It's a really fun and awesome place to work.
Not the best place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INFebruary 19, 2017
Managers have too many hours with not enough help.
I learned never to get into retail again.
Upper management had all these great ideas but didn't offer enough support or labor hours to even get the job done at all, long less a good job.
Unloading truck and stocking.
Customer interaction.
Pros
Fast advancement
Cons
Not a good job
Active and hands on
Coustomer service (Current Employee) –  Reidsville, NCFebruary 18, 2017
Productive work place also very ongoing with the consumer . We always make our consumers happy and encourage them to come back soon
Pros
Break times, you can really be yourself
Cons
Very low pay, low hours
Stressful
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYFebruary 18, 2017
Just a pass thru job. They use u till they don't need u anymore. There is a lot of unethical things going on there. Theft and backstabbing. They treat people very poorly because of the people they choose to put in charge. Low educated and mentality.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Stressful
Ok needs better managers
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAFebruary 18, 2017
My experience at Family Dollar hasn't been great I expected a lot from the managers to guide me through the things I needed to know and didn't really get that at all. This is my first job so of course I am naive and i definitely feel like I wasn't respected when I asked questions to things that was new to me and just dealing with very impatient people.
Pros
Leniency
Cons
No Benefits, Doesn't explain things correctly
Great place to work if you like to be busy
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornville, AZFebruary 18, 2017
Great place if you like fast paced work and hard labor. I was assistant manager and I think I worked harder than the cashiers. Very rewarding as far as work is concerned, but the pay is lousy and the upper management could really care less about anybody underneath them let alone their customers. So even though time goes by fast, it's not a place for someone that has experience in the real world managing people. They lack common sense and lack of respect for others around them. I would not recommend some of the stores to work at but then again, if you have a good manager that knows what they are doing, then it wouldn't be half as bad. I do have to say that the training manager was by far the best. She knew what she was doing and she ran a tight ship. She should be the district manager
Pros
time goes by fast
Cons
poor management, lack of respect, lousy pay
Love My Job, It can be Hard Work but rewarding
Store Development Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 18, 2017
I have worked for Family Dollar for a little over 3 years. I survived the Dollar Tree Merger and have to say it has so far been a positive experience. I work with District Managers and Store Managers all over the Country. For the most part everyone has been outstanding in their abilities. There are of course exceptions to that, but they usually don't stay around too long.
Pros
Get to travel and meet interesting hard working people
Cons
Lots of People with Negative Attitudes
decent empoleyer
Assistant Store Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  fulton nyFebruary 18, 2017
Was ok boss was descent to us hours for full time was around 30 hours per week truck days though we're on call at times advancement is very fast but turn over rate is very high with this company. They start at min wage and you go up from there. Salary for managers is descent although a store manager has to work 52 per week and work 6 days per week most of he time it's well over 52 hours.
Family Dollar
Cash Handling, Stocking, Customer service (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOFebruary 18, 2017
Family Dollar was rude and didn't allow me to take off days in order to see my son when he was hurt. They didn't accept doctors notes. The store was always messy and the management was horrible
A fun work place
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Gary, INFebruary 18, 2017
Beginning of shift count balance of drawer, greet customers in a pleasant manner sometimes did inventory. I learned that great customer services goes a long way, and makes customers want to come back as well as the items in store. I really in enjoyed workin gwith others and meeting new people
Pros
Being able to greet people with a smile
Cons
Not knowing a lot of us where there just to start for the opening of the store .
Not one of the best
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 18, 2017
Working at Family Dollar was not one of the best jobs. Management were more focused on catching people stealing and not being kind to those who come in on a regular not stealing. I understand when it comes to retail you have a store to run and take care of but bad hospitality leads to horrible reviews so not only are customers upset about somethings being gone due to shop lifting, their also upset because they did not get the right service they know they should have.The only thing i liked about working at Family Dollar was the hours i was getting because we were so short help everyday i would work almost 50 hrs a week.
unorganized
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDFebruary 17, 2017
Other employees quite like fly's. they over schedule employees so there will be three cashiers to come in when only two employees are needed
Pros
extra hours
productive workplace for advancement
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 17, 2017
A Typical day at work consists of busy lines and multi-tasking from register to putting out stock at the same time.

What I learned on the job is diligence with an eye for detail and numbers. Remembering product names and labels.

You will always work with management on some level throughout the store. Managers can either be the same, new, corporate and sometimes with lots of attitude for it comes with the territory, but Management will assist you if there are any issues.

The workplace culture is full of diversity, culture, background and getting the job done by your method that works.

The hardest part of the job is timing yourself on the job description that is given to you while multi-tasking in order to finish the job on time and before shift is over for it can be a variety of things that the job needs you to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that you meet new people, customers and learn new things everyday about the job.
Pros
room for advancement in the working titles
Cons
pay rate
Depending on the location, it can be a challenging work environment.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAFebruary 17, 2017
In its' relatively infant stage in California, they seem to wrestle with effective balancing of operating expenses and profitability. As such, they consistently place extremely incompetent managers in these stores that lack the abilities to infuse the working environments with innovative approaches to moral building and store presentation. They'll get better. But it'll take district managers who are secure enough to place in positions leaders who will make a difference, and not turn their heads to problems.
Pros
The clientele and community.
Cons
often, you encounter poorly equipped superiors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Dollar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9