Family Dollar Employee Reviews

Would not work here again
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXDecember 16, 2017
Typically very stressful. Must be quick pace and in shape. Things must get fast. NO LUNCH BREAKS! If management is bad then the place would be falling apart. Hardly anyone can find people to cover their shifts if they are extremely sick, they must work their shift.
You must be FAST to put out merchandise and help the cashier all at the same time.
Generally only you and the cashier are working.

Be prepared to be sent to other stores when other stores need coverage but it is rare to find anyone.

I would not work here again. Too much of a chance of being injured on the job and papers that I have read that make it difficult for the company to pay for the injuries that you must sign.
This environment is too stressful if you do not have a store manager who hardly helps and disappears a lot!!
If management is good as I have need in other stores; you are well off. You will enjoy it as I have in those stores.
Pay generally starts of at 10$ an hour.
Pros
special coupons, small raise
Cons
no breaks, extremely fast pace
Restocking job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Burton, MIDecember 16, 2017
We were moving the family dollar from one location to another. Great crew and leader. Amazing people to work for. The lunch was long so that was nice
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short job
A beginners job
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILDecember 15, 2017
The work is not strenuous but can be stressful. Social skills are a plus, because you will be dealing with the public on a daily basis. Perfect job for a teen.
Fun place to work always hours
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2017
It's very busy with theses stores sometimes to busy where as to you may find yourself working from open to close. Pay attention to your surroundings. Other than that I loved it.
Pros
Always hours to get
Cons
Dangerous areas
Enjoyed working with my co workers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 15, 2017
I enjoyed working with my co workers & customers. I liked the work environment & helping people & loved my manager it was a pleasure to work for them.
Not a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 15, 2017
Not a worth the minimum wage at all. Poor management and not enough surveillance. wouldn't recommend this job to anyone who is not in high school,,,,,
childish
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NYDecember 15, 2017
extensive responsibilities with little or no compensation. expectations were high with no gratitude. the boss was great at first but after awhile of working there i found out that the management along with fellow employees were very clicky and secretive.
Scammed
Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Rex, GADecember 14, 2017
Started working here during a Family Dollar job fair. I was unaware that we were building up a brand new store and starting out with twenty employees only for the managers to choose two-three they wanted to keep on. We had to build the shelves up and stock the entire store and was let go before the grand opening.
Busy
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHDecember 14, 2017
There is always something to do to keep you busy, either stocking of cleaning, but the company does not want to pay the employees what they are worth for all the work that they do making sure the store is clean
Good work life balance
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCDecember 14, 2017
With my years at Family Dollar, I did many different jobs and was able to advance as quickly as i could. I enjoyed working with most of the people there
Cons
Change in companies
I don’t recommend
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 13, 2017
I really enjoyed being a Manager for Family Dollar; but in my opinion they don’t care about there employees. I worked with some really good people. The area managers were the ones who didn’t care.
Very productive
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIDecember 13, 2017
I personally don't think the company cares about their employees and there needs, but I honestly can say I've been with this company for 4 years and it definitely has it's pros and cons
Productibe and fun woking place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 13, 2017
The typical day at family dollar was easy just me ringing up people on the register greeting people making sure they are satisfied with their items and my service. I learned from family dollar that some people can be rude even when you try to greet them I learn that you have to keep self control from the rude customers because you at a place of business. The management there was well they treated me with respect and gave me many ours to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was just meeting different people because I'm a people person.
Pros
meeting nice people
Cons
short breaks
Csr
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 13, 2017
It plain sucks, management is so bad, lack of hours for the hard workers and so much drama in between the management. Usual day fast pace and time does fly when you are doing a lazy workers work
low pay job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GADecember 13, 2017
You work hard for the amount of money they are willing to pay. They want a lot of something for nothing, at least at the store I worked at. It doesn't offer discounts for employees.
Pros
health care coverage
Cons
low pay
Family Dollar Day
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCDecember 13, 2017
I help customers find the items they are looking for, maintain store cleanliness, and sell family dollar products.I count my register before and after shift.
Great place to work.
Floor manager. (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 13, 2017
Love working there before I moved from the area. Great benefits and good pay. Probably would not have left if I hadn't moved from area. Have reapplied but have not heard from company.
Cons
hours given
horible working conditions
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLDecember 13, 2017
just a horrible place. I was worked to death no breaks , as well as the only person working 18 hour days. the manager was like a cop, she made almost every customer feel like they were a shop lifter. I was embarrassed for a long time because of her unprofessional behavior. I would not recommend anyone work this this kind of pay for that kind of responsibility .
Pros
Cons
walking oin the door
ok for a first job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 13, 2017
A lot of work for only two people in the store most of the time. They expect you to do so much with 2 people and complain when it isnt all done. District manager was the worst heard her yelling at the two different managers I had in since I been there. I heard she got fired by now though.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
low pay, lots of work
Family dollar
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXDecember 13, 2017
Family dollar is a fast paced work environment. there is alway something to do around the store, wether you are cleaning, stocking, unloading truck or cashing out customers. there is always something to keep you busy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Dollar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9