Family Dollar Employee Reviews

Found 7,144 reviews matching the search
No work-life balance, no support from upper management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, MEMarch 16, 2017
I would never recommend working for this company

The salary store manager position doesnot allow for any kind of work-life balance and the district managers are not concerned about managers working 70+ hours a week
Not a good place!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZMarch 14, 2017
They work you like dogs for minimum wage. going from regular store Associate to Assistant Store Manager they gave me a .25 Cent raise. they move people around from store to store to help all the other stores who are struggling with staff and theft. HIGH turn over rate.
Good work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 18, 2017
Long hours fast turn around this is a good company for fast advancement. This company has country wide stores so movement opportunities are readily available
Pros
Secure job
Cons
Long hours on salary
Less than the Best
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Winner, SDNovember 29, 2016
Long Hours, expect to be told you need to work a 52 hour minimum even though you will only be paid for 48 if in a Management position. Skeleton crews, management often working alone.
Pros
Healthcare, 401k, Dental, Vision
Cons
Long hours, skeleton crews, blocked out holidays for vacation
Fast-paced fun job.
Cashier / Stocker (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAAugust 10, 2016
I got to work counted my register. Began ringing out customers, stocked shells in between, priced products as well as put security tags on products. Helped customers when ever they needed something. Cleaned store, swept, mopped, unloaded merchandise. At end of shift counted draw and deposit for the day, dropped deposit in safe, closed store with assistant manager. Hardest part of job so much to do so little time, especially if your working with a co-worker that does not give their all.
Pros
Good Breaks, fun job.
Cons
Lack of benefits, often change in management and Untimely promotion.
Old School mentallity
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCFebruary 8, 2017
Needs to come into the new milinium with management practices. Very obvious some of management is prejudice towards women and minorities.

Does offer employement to ex cons which is a good thing.
Pros
free benefits
Cons
work enviroment
great company
Store manager (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJanuary 24, 2017
Great company to work for. They are sales driven and energetic and helpful to their community. There are great benefits for management as well as compensation. It can get overwhelming at times IF you don't have a great team behind you backing you up.
alright place to work for single person
asm (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARJanuary 4, 2017
My experience with Family Dollar was okay. Poor management from the higher people. Turnover rate was really high. Family dollar does not care about it's worker the more you do they weren't satisfied. One person had to do 7 different job or more. Our job was always held over our head,because of this the stress level was huge. The pay was horrible for all the work you had to do and the long hours If you have more than one child.this job isn't for you. I quit my job because of personal reason and my new boss was a trouble maker. I haven't worked since I quit my job. I'm not looking for management jobs anymore. The stress you have to go through isn't worth the headache and low pay.If you're not a manager you only work part time ranging from 19-25 hours a week. You can not pay bills with that. I had no trouble with co workers under me..everyone got alone until we got a new boss..There was opportunities to advance. I worked as a cashier for 6 months and became an ASM..so the fact that there are chances to advance was Awesome!
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
turnover, low pay sometime horrible upper management
A good place to cultivate customer service skills
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Leadville, COJanuary 4, 2017
A fine place to work, but as a store manager you can expect long hours. Many building maintenance issues outside of our control hampered our ability to accomplish all our goals.
Benefits
Cons
A lot of hours.
store manager
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, PADecember 17, 2016
store manager position is hard with very little support from upper management. Salary position usually working way more than the 52 hrs required more like 60 to 75 hrs per wk. You manage yourself more than you manage others.
Pros
Salary
Cons
work building is hot in summer and cold in the winter
Negative atmosphere, horrible management and system
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 16, 2017
I highly recommend you never work at such a horrible company such as Family Dollar. They have horrible pay, no room for advancement and no benefits at all i would say.
Productive ,fun and fast enviroment
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 11, 2017
Very stressful environment while enjoying customer service , meeting new people and working as team. A typical day a work can be very busy with many task at hand.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Minimum breaks, no benefits
Family business
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 17, 2017
Great place to work . benefits were not the best. Job was very easy . I did not have a lot if any challenges. I found my self getting restless and looking for a better career.
Pros
I had a great group of employees
Cons
Enjoyable place to work and assist pleasant people in the community and travelors stopping by for their needs.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alberta, VAOctober 5, 2016
My day typically consisted of cashiering, Assist customers in locating their needs and desired purchases to include food, clothing, toiletries, first aid, housewares, and all daily needs to include seasonal items.
I fronted and stocked shelves, reduced items for sale, and reset shelves based on current sales events.
Pros
Opportunity to meet a variety of people, and assist in their needs.
Cons
Prefer a full time position with benefits
There are a lot of areas which need improvement in order for this company to truly excel
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  South Ozone Park, NYDecember 9, 2016
The most enjoying part of my job is seeing that customers get what they came for and return to the store because of its cleanliness and the customer service they receive whenever they come to shop.
Pros
There is always something to do and never a dull moment
Cons
Poor Salary, inadequate healthcare
Limited advancement
Store/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 6, 2017
Company has limited advancement for the teammember and management not on the same page otherwise the pay is good and the benifits just need more advanement
It's an OK place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 6, 2017
The only thing is you don't believe in getting people a raise that they deserve.they don't appreciate the work that you do for them. They need a better attitude for the people that work for them.
Decent place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 4, 2016
Depending on the store and the location this could be a great place of work. But at the same time it could be horrible too. your life could become family dollar and nothing but family dollar especially if your management
Pros
great hours and benefits
Cons
no breaks and unruly bosses
Fun workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 26, 2017
I actually enjoyed this job. I just don't like the fact that I worked there for almost a year and I didn't get a raise for being there that long. I felt like it is extremely hard to stay in customer service. I'm
I didn't enjoy the job because of salary
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLMarch 8, 2017
The salary was not reasonable for what they required of an employee and the benefits were too costly to purchase Advancement did not happen even after being promised

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Dollar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9