Family Dollar
4,055 reviews

Family Dollar Employee Reviews

Productive great for customer service
Store-Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Memphis,TNJune 24, 2015
A typical day at work would include handling cash and credit transactions and tending to customers needs. Customers and law enforcement in this area are familiar with store team member. Never felt unsafe while working at this location. Employer and employees were accepting and nice.
Hard company to work for.
Store Manager (Former Employee), West Allis, WIJune 24, 2015
I had a great team. However I didn't feel safe working alone. After two years we were still working alone in a store that sold over 7000 items.
Different experience
CASHIER (Former Employee), Forrest Park, GAJune 24, 2015
Stocking and organizing tasks in assigned store areas wrote audit slips. Responsible for the inventory counts: also was responsible for meet and greet customers, assist in sales, and answer questions about products and services.
An okay place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), Eleanor, WVJune 24, 2015
To me it is a job, its not a job I'm necessarily happy with due to my pay and the lack of benefits. I believe the management at this specific establishment could be more professional, but that's just my opinion.
Productive Atmosphere
Assistant Store Manager / Holding-Store Manager (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJune 24, 2015
Pros: Skill development
Cons: Advancement
Managerial skills are continuously developed and evolving. Physical dexterity is necessary to succeed and the business culture is always enjoyable.
For this to be my first time as a retail employee I enjoyed the work once I so to speak learned the ropes.
Cashier (Former Employee), South Bend, INJune 24, 2015
Pros: Meeting people and having a good management staff
Cons: none to speak of a job is a job it all depends on how you preceive it
This was just a job to meet financial needs, but I was thankful...My work days would consists of normal retail duties such as that of a cashier...The job was rocky at first, but at the end it became very gratifying (I met and helped a lot of people)...As I said on the onset I'm very grateful and thankful for the experience and would do it again!
Diverse company with plenty of room for advancement
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee), Newark, NJJune 24, 2015
Working for family dollar gives you a sense of appreciation for the demographic of people areas. I have learned a lot of skills that will help me with my advancement and or career.
Challenging environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Memphis,TNJune 23, 2015
This job was a good experience while it lasted, but i gained nothing from working there. I did however, love the management.
decent pay
Store Manager (Former Employee), Tunica, MSJune 23, 2015
Pay not bad,but too much work.If you like to unload trucks,stock shelves and do all of the tasks that regular workers do,as a manager,then this job is for you.
One of my favorite jobs ever!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Cleveland, OhioJune 23, 2015
Pros: Customer Appriciation
Cons: Short Breaks, Long Hours
This has to be one of my favorite jobs, from co-workers to customers and even management this was just overall a great work place.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee), Graceville, FLJune 22, 2015
I feel like cashiering is an important job. Simply because you get to know regular customers on a personal level after a little while. They later down the road become friends more than just a "customer".
Dull
Cashier (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJune 22, 2015
Work day was very bland. Upper management did not trust the employees, they held interrogations and the pay was terrible.. Did not feel safe. Store was broken into on a number of occasions.
interacting with customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAJune 22, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: short breaks or no break at all
I enjoyed doing customer service. What i really enjoyed most about it was meeting new people every day. I loved the group of individuals that i was working with at family dollar.
Fun and family focused
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 22, 2015
Management at the location was wonderful and had no problem teaching new skills. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers stealing. The most enjoyable part was working with the co-workers and getting to know the customers.
worked with some great people but overall not good at all
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), several locationsJune 22, 2015
worked for the company for four years off and on and several different stores. the problem was always with upper management. direct management would only give problems but would only steam from not being properly trained to deal with things. they do not pay you what you are worth and then squeeze every drop of energy out of you. work you to the bone and until you are sick or until you break. i liked my coworkers and customers but that is about it.
productive
Manager (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARJune 22, 2015
Pros: easy work
Cons: short handed
keeping store clean, clerical work, was flexible, worked afree will, working out freight during holidays orseaon change, light days left us with easy work days
Retail business run on a shoe string
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYJune 22, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Minimum hours manager can work is 52, ends up being more like 60.
Store manager of these stores is expected to run the store by themselves for 4 to 6 hours each day. Manager's responsible to control shrink by stopping shoplifters while filling shelves and cashing out customers all at the same time.
Okay
Cashier (Former Employee), Soda Springs, IDJune 22, 2015
Pros: Customers
Cons: Schedule
I ended up quitting because I felt like they were mad at me for being put on bedrest for my pregnancy. After I had my daughter they wouldn't put me on the schedule even after asking multiple times.
some days is very busy
Customer Service (Former Employee), blackwood njJune 19, 2015
a typical day at work for me is coming in stocking selves and helping customers. i learned that the fast you work the more you get done.i loved my co-workers. they was very nice and funny so we got along very well. the hardest part is wen it gets really busy and thers only 2 people working at the cash register. the most enjoyable part is knowing that i put a smile on a customers face because they was pleased with my service.
Workplace productive
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Redford, MIJune 19, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: Benefits are not sufficient
A typical day at work is productive and most engaging. The Management team is knowledgeable and forward thinking with all co-workers.

About Family Dollar

Family Dollar is one of the fastest growing discount store chains in the United States. The merchandising strategy that drives – Read more

Family Dollar Salaries