Family Dollar
3,873 reviews

Family Dollar Employee Reviews

not a great company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee), Montgomery, NYMay 14, 2015
Pros: cant think of any
Cons: no room for advancement
your required to do the work of three people and are paid horribly. you a required to be a cashier, shelf stocker, answer phones, unload trucks all by your self. management seems to just sit in office or go out for smoke breaks leaving to pick up there slack. the customers and co workers seem to make it bearable.
a productive and challenging place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), philadelphia,paMay 14, 2015
Pros: 10 percent discount o purchases
Cons: short break
Go to workk and clock in. unload trucks. stock merchandise,. cashier answer phones and check bags in, clean store. I learned multi task. cashier most enjoyable part. unloading truck the hardest.
not happy
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Lehi, UTMay 13, 2015
not good company to work for they treat manager and assistants very poorly would not like to work for lehi district manager ever again yelled at me over phone for something i did not do
long hours.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Westmoreland, TNMay 13, 2015
Cons: no breaks
to many hours working alone,
a lot of heavy lifting
no support system of upper mngmnt
work every weekend
long hours. they say 48 ends up 68
Love customer Service enjoy interaction with customers.
Clerk / Cashier (Current Employee), Eastpointe, MIMay 12, 2015
Pros: Consistant schedule.
Cons: Hardly no breaks, Pay is not the great considering the amount of work they demand.
Enjoyable because it allows me to speak and react with the customers. Cash sales, replenishing stock. I work with a good team. I don't enjoy the lack of security for the employees. Throughout my eight year tenure I learned that my patience with people is my strength.
Very productive place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Sunset, LAMay 12, 2015
Pros: EVERYTHING
Cons: NOTHING
OPEN STORE, MANAGE THE MONEY, INTERACT WITH CUSTOMERS. I LEARNED TO BE MORE RESPONSIBLE THAN I EVER HAD TO BE AND I HAVE 2 KIDS. I WAS A FIRM BUT VERY UNDERSTANDING MANAGER. MY CO-WORKERS RESPECTED ME AND ANY DECISION MAKING I HAD TO DO. IN MY EYES NO JOB IS HARD IF YOU PUT YOUR MIND INTO IT. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART. SEEING SOMEONE SMILE BECAUSE YOU MADE THEIR DAY JUST THAT MUCH EASIER.
It is a fun place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Carlin, NVMay 12, 2015
Pros: it was a fun enviorment
Cons: there arent really much
It is a awesome place depending on who you had to work with. I leanred alot there and couldn't be more thankful for all I was taught.
My co-workers were great!
Fun work place always active and moving around
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Springfield, MAMay 12, 2015
A typical day would involve me cleaning up multiple restrooms and different places around the park. I would also interact with the guests. I enjoyed my job because I love to be organized and clean so I got to help out and maintain the park.
I very much loved working at Dollar General
Store Manager (Former Employee), Oakdale, LouisianaMay 12, 2015
Pros: insurance benifits
Cons: long hours
I loved the customer service side of the job and the job was very fulfilling work wise. I did not like the long 60 to 65 (sometimes logr hours) hour work week. It kept me away from my family to much.
Productive and great work place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 12, 2015
Great management team
Really enjoyed being a part of the team
Great customers
Learned a lot about management, customer service and retail
Enjoyed working the team and learning so much about the retail business
Cashier duties
Cashier (Former Employee), Lexington Park, MDMay 12, 2015
Pros: worked well with others
Cons: Restocking shelves after customers messed them up
Signed in to cash register, counted out drawer for the day, rang up customers and stocked shelves.Cleaned up store at the end of every night.
Just care for the dollar and not the customer
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Adamsville, TNMay 11, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: everything
I reported my manager multiple times on multiple occasions for being very rude to customers, accepting counterfeit money, breaking OSHA rules, retaliating against co workers, and a few felonies she committed and they said that it was okay.
great opportunity
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), minneapolis,mnMay 11, 2015
Pros: retail sales
Cons: location
Overall good experience in retail sales. I appreciate the opportunity I enjoy retail sales jobs. They could take better care of their employees who devote a lot of time.
All work and no play
Store Training Manager (Current Employee), Salisbury, MDMay 11, 2015
Cons: breaks? I Don't drink on the job but you can change the lyrics to, "I work alone..."
Managers do not manage, they are often alone. Consider your safety and ability to control shrink? How does one become loyal?
Hardest part is getting beat up for failing while limited.
Compelling and Challenging Place To Work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Mattawan, MIMay 11, 2015
Pros: Family-like atmosphere
Cons: You may be expected to work alone for long periods of time
I have worked for Family Dollar for just a little over a year. I was promoted from Cashier to Assistant Manager in just 6 weeks, where it would normally take 6 months or more. If you make it clear that you want to advance in the company, your Store Manager will do everything possible to help you improve yourself and mentally prepare you for advancement in the company.

A typical day involves helping customers and running the cash register, while also doing projects such as putting up signs or working the weekly truck. There is no downtime and you are expected to approach everything with a sense of urgency. You are also expected to clean the store every night and recover the shelves for the next business day.

It is an expectation as an Assistant Manager that you are to unload the DC truck every Tuesday with one other person, and Assistant Managers rotate this task so that not just one person is consistently unloading it every week.

The hardest part of the job sometimes is working by yourself and trying to get your projects done.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the family atmosphere.
Fun work environment and great customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Florissant, MOMay 11, 2015
Typical work day was filled with many tasks but none that was too time consuming. I learned may skill about customer service and how to use a cash register. Management was flexible and caring.
productive and fun place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 11, 2015
Great place to work everyone is so kind and respectful care about you finding what you need, the managers are helpful and they want to see you succeed
An okay place
Cashier/ Stocker (Former Employee), Panama City FloridaMay 11, 2015
Pros: Friendly environment
Cons: difficult to help customers and do other required duties
Running the register while stocking the selves and cleaning the store constantly throughout the work shift. I learned valuable customer service skills and cleaning skills. Management is also pretty good. Co workers are friendly. Hardest part of the job is managing the customers while trying to do other things. Most enjoyable part is also the co worker bonds.
Worst experience ever
Assets Protection Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 11, 2015
Pros: Co-workers and customers
Cons: pay and workload
Worst job experience ever. Hours were terrible and the pay was bad. Upper management provided little support and threats were abundant.
Enjoyable place to work
Cashier & Stocker (Current Employee), Dinwiddie, VAMay 9, 2015
I start my morning off with the pet area putting the merchandise from the truck out on the shelves. I learned how to really multi task, managers are fun and a pleasure to work with.

About Family Dollar

Family Dollar is one of the fastest growing discount store chains in the United States. The merchandising strategy that drives – Read more

Family Dollar Salaries