Family Dollar Employee Reviews in United States

Found 5,487 reviews matching the search
Great with advancing
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 17, 2016
Great with advancing depending on management
Never enough pay roll
Great place to learn to work in customer service
hard working employees
Pros
paid vacations
Cons
low pay roll
not great
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montrose, PAApril 17, 2016
if the employees were more helpful and respecting of others and new employees they would have more help. No one didnt help nor clean.
Dont Work this Store
Salesperson/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 17, 2016
A basic job looking for work go to FD, but expect management to be straight a** wipes. Make the job much more depressing than it already is.
Pros
Every week pay
productive
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Irvington, ALApril 16, 2016
on a average day, expect the craziest things to happen. customer gets caught stealing, a customer argue down a employee about a price on the merchandise, or your manager getting on to you about an error you have made.
Cons
lack of security, bad camera placement, and not enough money for all the work that is expected from the job.
Experienced Cashier
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2016
Greeting customers as they they arrive in the store
Scan items and ensure pricing is correctly
Take coupons and scan correctly
Take money in the form of cash, credit card,or check.
it was a job they sold the company to dollar tree.
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 16, 2016
I honestly can't make a review of the new company standards but the old one weren't great. there was a distinct lack of good governance from the higher ups. they tended to rather than promote within bring in new workers in higher positions regularly which is a stupid practice as they know nothing but what they have been taught and can't effectively run a store without practice though there are some exceptions there few and far between.
Pros
customers where generally nice
Cons
short breaks long hours and low pay
Productive and busy no security and is in a bad location
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 16, 2016
It's a very busy store. I liked working for family dollar, but its located in a bad area. Everyone got along. The customers were very nice. It was easy work.
Busy work environment.
Assistant Manager/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 16, 2016
Constantly assisting customer's in finding the proper product for their need. Ensuring the store always looks clean and welcoming.
Pros
Customer's
Cons
Managment
Decent workplace, good hours, fun co-workers
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, GAApril 16, 2016
Family Dollar was my first job right out of high school and I began as a cashier. Shortly after almost a year of working there, I was promoted to key holder and then under a year later I was promoted to assistant manager. The advancement is there. My particular location had very rough District Managers that would not give raises based on performance, even if the Store Manager requested it. I enjoyed a lot of the co-workers I had over my 4.5 years there and I very much enjoyed being able to take on management duties. Typical days at this establishment consisted of high foot traffic, especially on the weekends. As long as you can multitask, you'll be just fine. I think the hardest part of the job was having to discipline certain employees due to their high amount of sensitivity and my military mentality. I always ran a tight ship and made sure that everyone under my supervision had tasks to complete. A big con for me was being expected to spend every holiday away from my family.
Pros
Tending to great customers, a lot of work
Cons
Poor higher management, no proper compensation, over working for less than what you're putting in
Never again
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, NJApril 15, 2016
Bridgeton NJ's family dollar is the worst place to work. They provide NO security and its a very dangerous place to work at. As well as the company it self is a joke, they allow unethical things go by like for example the inappropriate jokes, use of language, and racism even when its the management doing it. Their benefits are slim to none. and they are very selfish about giving raises and bonuses when promised.
Pros
Some of the costumers
Cons
Everything else
Was an OK job
Cashier / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, TXApril 15, 2016
I was handling cash and costumers as well as stocking and cleaning. I learned how to properly stock and organize inventory. My co-workers were friendly but the assistant managers that I worked along side did not provide instruction on the job or any structure. The manager was the same and rarely dealt with his problems with his employees, instead leaving unclear notes and talking through his assistant managers.
Pros
small workplace
Cons
chaotic, unstructured
I love seeing the same friendly customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 15, 2016
Its a fast past store no room for a break. makes the day go by fast though. I love the regular customers the make the day much brighter. They love talking to me telling me things about their life. I enjoy working with my manager because she is so calm and positive.so having that positive and helpful manager around they day doesn't have to be as hectic if there were no support. Its hard when im the only cashier on duty that particular day. My coworker are pretty cool after they get to know me.
Pros
The customers
Cons
lazy assistant managers
warehouse work
Handler (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 14, 2016
loaded/ unloaded trailers,worked in a timely manner with a sense of urgency in a fast paced environment. An exceptional group of hard working peers who helped out each other.
Another great workplace with some great people
Receiving Checker/Trainer/Stocker/Shipping loader (Current Employee) –  Rome, NYApril 14, 2016
Start up meetings to get our day going, learned different routines and departments. I moved around a lot. I'm very energetic got along well with my managers and coworkers;
I enjoyed working there for the most part
CSR/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 14, 2016
Working at family dollar was a somewhat fun experience for me but it has its days. Some of the customers are really nice and will have conversations with you. One thing that I didn't like was when the line was long at the cash register there wasn't much help there was only one other register but that didn't necessarily mean that you could get the assistant manager or manager to come to the register right away. Also almost everyday someone or a couple people would come in the store and steal things regardless if they had a security tag on them or not.
Having fun with co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montvale, VAApril 14, 2016
Family dollar was my very first job straight out of high school. I was very nervous when I began my training but, with in a weeks time I was doing just about everything on my own. I ran the register greeting every customer that walked in the door. Something that was different from Family dollar then the rest of my jobs is that I was taught how to count down my own drawer. I thought that being able to do that was very interesting. Along with running the register and greeting customers I learned what Family dollar calls fronting and facing. This is when you walk up and down every isle turning all cans to the front, making sure that there were no misplaced items laying anywhere and if there were putting them back. My manager was the coolest manager I had ever had. He wasn't afraid to run a register and help the rest of us when needed. As far as my co-workers we all got along great, we always helped each other with the different jobs that we did around the store. The hardest part of the job was unloading the truck every week because the truck would be packed almost the ceiling. I believe the most enjoyable part for me was talking to all the small town customers that I grew up with and helping them find the things that they needed.
Pros
Working with an amazing team
Cons
No breaks
The atmosphere isn't organized like it should be.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 13, 2016
Everyday that I've worked here, I have learned a lot about the work force. I would say that this job is decent but I don't enjoy waking up and coming to work each day.
Pros
I have an okay environment to work in, with friendly co-workers.
Cons
Don't give out breaks well or sometimes never give breaks.
Excellent Team and Customers
Assistant Manager/ Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Linden, TXApril 12, 2016
My resume lists everything I would say regarding this particular organization. Great team members as well as supervisors. good job.
Exciting place
Sales Assiociate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 12, 2016
I loved working at family dollar there was also something different everyday. I loved meeting and helping new customers and also seeing the same customers everyday
Productive and Organized
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jacinto, CAApril 11, 2016
A typical day at work is stalking shelves and facing. Make sure there are always inventory and if not then order more. Greeting customers and interacting with them. Helping Customers find things or recommending something new or similar. The employees are wonderful, friendly and personable. Hardest part of the job was dealing with thefts, having to create incident reports and retelling the events to the Police. Customers and get grumpy with busy days and long lines. I didn't get to spend much time with my family due to maintaining a flexible, open schedule for more hours. The most enjoyable part of my job was always interacting with customers and hearing everyone's different life stories.
Pros
Full benefits
Cons
Low pay