Family Dollar
4,170 reviews

Family Dollar Employee Reviews

Team work
Assitant Manager (Former Employee), Moss Point, MSJuly 21, 2015
I enjoyed working at Family Dollar because of the customers and management we worked for. Security was the biggest issue because we would have to have one person running the whole store in the morning to meet payroll guidelines, which was dangerous at times due to the area the store happened to be in.
A great "first job" to have.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Visalia, CAJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Great first job
Cons: To easy
I started working at Family Dollar after high school as my first job and I also began going to college at the same time. A typical day at work begins by loaning on to the register, also while customers are shopping I begin to keep my work area clean and organized. I learned to be industrious with my time, have empathy with people, and being grateful for the chance to serve the people that pay my salary. The management is really great at keeping the team productive. The best part of my job was that I got to help people.
Productive and challenging work with great benefits
Store Manager (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Paid everyweek
Cons: Sometimes when employees called off I was stuck to cover the shift
Very fast paced job that required a lot of work. Managing a store was very demanding. I must say again that it is a lot of work but pay was well worth it.
understaffed, very demanding and needy work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Being able to pay my bills
Cons: Dealing with a lot of messy individuals
Due to the nature of this retail business. Upper management thought it best to use think of employees as a controllable expense even at the cost of good customer service. Managers had to run the store at times as if it was a " one man team". This is a retail business that kept a lot of busy work such as resets, weekly sales, manager specials etc. Operations such as logistics and overall day to day demands for the most part was done by a skeleton crew. Many errors were made due to poor staffing and allowable man hours. Alot of dirty politics between employees and also in middle to upper management. This company was not a joy to work for.
Stable employment
STOCK LEAD (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Very understanding
Cons: Security
Well diverse and knowledgeable management team. As a single father, many situations arise at a moments time, and my team is very understanding and easy to work with.
Main cashier and greeter
Main Cashier (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2015
Cons: short breaks and bathroom breaks
Customers would enter and I greet them, and cash them out and also help them find items. I've learned to be a great cashier and greeter and also how to work with others. The management was fine but could be better, Also my co-workers were great. The hardest part of this job is keeping people from stealing, and the enjoying part was putting smiles on my customers faces.
not employee friendly
District Training Store Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 20, 2015
Pros: have met some good people
Cons: horroble family life
not a great place to work. No real room for advancement. No work/life balance. a manager can expect to work upwards 70 hours per week
it is a good job to start out with if you are trying to get a first job
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), atlantaJuly 20, 2015
I am thankful for receiving a customer service experience. This job is a good way to learn how to multitask. I like this job a lot
Fast Paced Retail Enviroment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Foley, AlabamaJuly 20, 2015
Opened and closed store. Handled money and dropped off at bank. Unloaded truck. Stocked Shelves. Customer resolutions. Theft control. cashier.

The hardest part of this job was theft control.
Management was not the best but the co-workers were great
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Erin, TNJuly 19, 2015
A typical day was cashier or unloading stock, it was my first management job and it taught me a lot about people and myself, management did not stand behind what they said at first, my co-workers where easy to get along with and work with, the hardest part was unloading the trucks, and the most enjoyable was the people I worked with
A JOKE!!
Asst Manager (Former Employee), Yale, MIJuly 19, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: When you sign on for a 60hr work week and are given only 30hrs LEAVE or Complain.
You arrive to work clock in and get to work as either an Assist. Manager or Cashier, You handle customers and stock the shelve, put up displays and handle the money with the deposits daily.
Time management and customer service is the top priority
Store Manager (6781)(3281) (Current Employee), Anderson, SCJuly 19, 2015
A typical day at Family Dollar involves planning, organizing, and utilizing staff to maintain a neat, clean and organized store. All while providing service to customers and making sure freight is checked in and moved to the sales floor in a timely manner.
It is a great first job experience.
Customer service (Former Employee), Chicahgo, ILJuly 19, 2015
Pros: Paid Weekly
Cons: Very Little Pay
The job at family dollar was tiring but it was quick, usually we did the same thing everyday. Management was very understanding, and helpful which made the job very easy. I love people so getting along with my co-workers wasn't hard at all. Overall the job was very enjoyable.
unorganized and unprofessional
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), JohnsonburgJuly 18, 2015
Pros: weekly pay
Cons: short shifts, lack of hours
A typical workday included running the cash register and putting stock away as well as straightening up the shelves called "facing". The store when I got hired was very messy, cluttered, and unorganized. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I tried myself, the work as a group to maintain professionalism in the workplace did not sustain. Helping out and interaction with the customers was the most enjoyable part of my day, and the least enjoyable was the frustration that came with feeling like I was the only one who really cared about how the store maintained.
Job SUCKS
Store Manager (Current Employee), Utica, NYJuly 18, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: no breaks or lunches.
If you are management expect no breaks or lunches. And NO family life. Pay and benefits aren't worth the suffering. You can expect to work 60 plus hours a week even though you only get paid for 52. They break so many Labor laws.
productive and fun workplace
LEVEL 1 TECHNICAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Matthews, NCJuly 18, 2015
I love the work environment. Everyday I learn something new that will enhance my growth with the company. Everyone works as a team
Overall good company to work for, but some team members are not
Area Performance Manager (Former Employee), Denver, COJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Overall good salary for job responsibilities
Cons: Poor life/work balance, expectations
Overall good company, and would recommend it if you find the right leadership. I hope that Dollar Tree's acquisition will improve their focus on training and developing their associates.
Typical work day
District Manager (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CaJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Free Lunch
Cons: Lots of stores (30)
Typical work day for a DM. But you do have a ton of stores (30)
Learned a lot about small box retail stores. My peers were woberdul people.
i really dont kmow
Assembler (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 17, 2015
boring boring boring not much pay for alot of work and managers are lazy and want cashiers to do all the work. nothing else to say
I ENJOYED THIS JOB. IN AWAY I WISH I DID NOT HAVE TO LEAVE AS IT WAS. THERE WAS A FAMILY ATMOSPHERE THAT YOU DON'T FIND ON MOST JOBS.
Stocker/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Redford, MIJuly 16, 2015
IT WAS GENERALLY A GOOD PLACE T WORK. I ENJOYED THE EMPLOYEE'S I WORKED WITH. ESPECIALLY THE STORE MANAGER. WHO I FOUND TO VERY PLEASANT TO WORK FOR.

About Family Dollar

Family Dollar is one of the fastest growing discount store chains in the United States. The merchandising strategy that drives – Read more

Family Dollar Salaries