Family Dollar
3,794 reviews

Family Dollar United States Employee Reviews

My Family Dollar Life
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALApril 17, 2015
Pros: My weekly compensation with overtime and insurance.
Cons: Time spent away from my family.
Life with Family Dollar was consumed with clocking in. I enjoyed my job so I would show up early and leave late. Clock in on unscheduled days just to be apart of the everyday of Family Dollar. My typical work day would involve bank runs, verifying deposit slips, counting the money in the safe, unloading pallets, organizing the stock room, walking the floor of the store to make sure it is appealing to customers, and oversee my cashiers to make sure they are working efficiently and offer my help when needed. The most difficult part about my job was its toll it took on my home life. I was currently married at the time and I was more focus on savaging my store than my marriage which added to why I am divorce. My management role taught me how to function in a fast pace environment. Learning to make big decisions that not only affect me but my staff and sometimes even my customers. My supervisors were supportive to an extent. I look to them for ways to make better decisions concerning my staff. When I need a new perspective on handling insubordination I call in the big guns so that it never gets out of hand.
Great place to work, Productive
Customer Service (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALApril 17, 2015
Pros: Good money, Great hours
Cons: very busy at times
Working at Family dollar was a great experience and a wonderful opportunity for a young man to grow and mature.
The hours were great and if you wanted to make money then you were put on schedule.
The coworkers who had been there for awhile didn't mind helping new members.
The best part of the job was definitely management, training was easy and fast because all tasks were given and explained in a way that employees old and new could understand.
minimum wage
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), stone mountainApril 17, 2015
the wages were way too low i needed alot more money then i was being paid just to get by so i had to leave as soon as something better came along.. i enjoyed the job tho
A good place to work.
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, MSApril 17, 2015
Working for this company was a learning experience. Dealing with different situations. I enjoy learning different levels of work. I enjoyed everything that I had to do from to cash register to helping the customers, from stocking the shelves, unloading trucks to doing paper work.
Great experince
Cashier (Former Employee), JonesvilleApril 17, 2015
I loved working for Ross, this was my first job and I was very grateful that this gave me a chance. Ross started the foundation to my retail experience. Co workers and management were great and awesome!
heavy work load, inadequate pay
cashier (Former Employee), North Miami, FLApril 17, 2015
Pros: weekly pay
Cons: lunch break
employees didn't show up, management was rude to customers and staff, the hardest part was going to work, best part was going home
Great Work place
Customer service representative (Former Employee), Lanett, ALApril 16, 2015
Pros: payday is every friday
Cons: no breaks
This was a great workplace....tidy space but a great place to work.. you build relationship with the regular customers and it gives you a good practice of showing great customer service where ever you go.
decent place to work, you get to meet new people. Can be challenging at times, there is room for quick advancement.
Cashier (Current Employee), raleigh, ncApril 15, 2015
a typical day at work consists of ringing and bagging grocery items, working freight, and stocking. you will learn how to multi task, the hardest part is being the only one running the front with more than one full U boats to unload while serving cutomers while it is busy.i enjoy the people
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tuskegee, ALApril 15, 2015
Money handling, clean store, stock shelves, customer service, etc. assisting customers with problems, unloading the truck and helping put things in order.
Productive and fun workplace.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Cincinnati,OHApril 15, 2015
I enjoyed my time here working and getting to know different people and personalities. I really enjoyed my team and my supervisor as well. I loved how my off days varied and out times of operations was set and only changed during holidays or when the weather caused a changed in operation times.
Fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hillsboro, OHApril 15, 2015
I would come in and count a drawer down to make sure i can open to serve my customers, I would greet every customer that would come into the store, I also would stock shelves and make sure the front end of my store was cleaned and a excellent shopping environment for my customers
Low work hours and bad management
Cashier, Customer service, Stocker (Former Employee), Orangeburg, SCApril 14, 2015
Pros: Blessed to have a Job
Cons: Manager
Manager: no work performance, just getting paid to be there. Most enjoyable part of working at Family Dollar: interacting with customers
Good management
Costumer Assistant -Cashier (Former Employee), Shawnee, KSApril 14, 2015
Pros: Management
Cons: Paycheck
The management was nice and respectful to me and I could balance my work and personal life. the only reason I left is because I needed a full time job and Family dollar was a part time position
Family dollars.....well not this family...
Sales Associate/Stock room team Memeber (Former Employee), Hackensack, NJApril 14, 2015
Pros: .......
Cons: read the review....
This experience wasn't a great one, the company was cheap, they over worked their employees and they skimped out on benefits. would I work for this company ever again?......no,....
Where careers go to die
Manager (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAApril 14, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: everything
I've been a manager for Family Dollar for just under 3 months and now am looking for another job. The stores are built in ghettos and mine has a serious mouse problem that no one really cares about. the customers suck and are rude and you never catch up with anything. The real name is "Family Bottom Dollar" because that's all they care about.
Worst job ever
Assistant Store Manger (Former Employee), Orlando, Fl Rio GrandeApril 13, 2015
Pros: Paid weekly
Cons: No breaks no help low pay
First off there was a lack of communication. The store manager wanted me to guess what is on his mind. If you don't kiss his butt he treated you like scum. We got robbed often and they never fixed the outside lights and the store was not in the safest neighborhood. I loved the customers but we was taught to treat them as animals and as if they all stole merchandise. The district manager was rude and talk down to you. Always understaffed or someone calling out. I bust my butt for my store and other locations because of course nobody wanted to work . I wasn't appreciated for my hard work.
cashier
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Vineland, NJApril 13, 2015
awesome job.awsome people. I loved working there.the pay is good as well as the flexible hours. omg by the way did I mention it was great.
Working for Family Dollar
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Columbus, OHApril 13, 2015
Everyday when I came to work I counted my drawer
It was slow in the mornings, so I would start looking for what the night shift may not have done, complete and corrected what needed to be done. I checked out all customers, unless I needed assists.

I liked everyone I worked with, my store manager knew she could always count on me expect one person who enjoyed over using his authority being assistant manager. Which I don't have a problem with authority but over using it is not fair.

The hardest part about this job was having to confront a customer that is stealing, But I had I job to do. Some people just walked out, some called me everything but Mariah. I am very good at keeping my composure.

The most enjoyable parts about this job was meeting new people and have a professional relationship with my regular customer, first name basics. Most of all knowing that my store manager knew she could always count on me. I loved the fact that customers knew I enjoyed doing my job.
not productive
Manager (Former Employee), baton rouge laApril 13, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
The store is very cluttered and the work among the staff is very aggressive because of the environment of non organization from corporate management to the local level of the managing staff of the stores
Positive environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Fresno, CAApril 13, 2015
Cons: Management
I am a current employee who seems to be working in a workplace where favoritism plays a key in your happiness. If you do not kiss up to management, they will turn their back on you.

About Family Dollar

Family Dollar is one of the fastest growing discount store chains in the United States. The merchandising strategy that drives – Read more

Family Dollar Salaries