Family Dollar Employee Reviews

Its a nice place to work at but you have to work with speed.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 13, 2017
I loved working at family dollar it was my first job and it give me a lot of experience for working at a retail store. Its a nice place to start off working at for your first job.
lack of care
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Joe, FLOctober 13, 2017
Overall they are an okay company. Many of the stores are run down and do not have sufficient environments for their employees. The store I worked in had a leaky roof and no air conditioner.
Fun place to work but poor management
Field Specialist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 13, 2017
Overall i loved working in Family Dollar. After being sent to the hospital from being over worked, while pregnant, I was treated worse when i returned to a different manager. Not only was she rude she told me to my face that it is all business nothing personal. I would rather work for someone who cares for their employees more than their products because it is the employees who are keeping the store together. specially my position as a field specialist/assistant manager. She even found a problem with me buying a water and taking my inhaler. Nobody deserves to be treated like a slave NOBODY!
Pros
You get to meet awesome people
Cons
short or no breaks, overworked, no appreciation
Productive easy to move up
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jacinto, CAOctober 13, 2017
I enjoyed working with the company very much. It was very easy to move up and promotions easy environment to work with enjoyed working with people resolving any situation that comes up
Only work here if desperate
Cashier/stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, UTOctober 12, 2017
I hated working at the family dollar i was assigned to, the manager was not skilled enough to be a manager and relied way to much on her employees to do her work, if confronted she would become very hostile.
This was the place where i got most of my Customer Service skills.
Workplace culture was OK.
Hardest part of the job was picking up slack from other co-workers.
the most enjoyable part was i worked with a friend who was a super hard worker as well he made it even acceptable!
work family life not balanced and uncaring
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gate City, VAOctober 12, 2017
Company didn't care if you had a family, they expected you to be there even on the days requested off. Unload trucks by yourself, by hand and in under 1 hour. Don't care if you get hurt on the job, still expected to work and refused to let you go to doctor under workman comp, had to self pay when got hurt unloading truck.
Pros
Cons
uncaring, low wages, no raises
Family dollar
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 12, 2017
A typical day at work, depending on if I'm on the register It's fast paced and my only option for help is to ring the bell, patiently waiting for the employee that I work with takes about 1 too 2 minutes to get up to the register, So I immediately apologizes for the time that they've been standing up there. ( Of course said with a loving smile).
It takes less than 2 to 3 minutes depending on the how much the costumer has their intentions on buying. You also have to take 3 to 4 Costumers before ringing the bell so you've learned on to focus on time and consistency.

What I've learned, for the almost 2 years that's coming up.
I've learned to be faster in taking people in my line.
When I'm on the floor I've been taught on how to successfully pull things forward, place all go backs in the correct.

Workplace culture, Depends who you are partnered up with 3/10 times you can be professional.

The hardest part of this job, it's frustrating because it's the type of job where you know you're not going to move up because they do not recognize, how much effort you put in they just want it done. especially when helping a costumer they would rather have you get things done and ignore the costumers needs.

The most enjoyably part, Costumers.
Good place to start
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 12, 2017
This employer is a good place to use to fill in until you can secure something better. I enjoyed working with my co workers and they paid weekly, but over all, I needed more security.
friendly environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Versailles, PAOctober 12, 2017
Family Dollar has a nice working environment and the staff is friendly.My manager is very fair on putting together the schedule.my most enjoyable part of my job are my customers.
Pros
i am off on weekends.
Cons
the only shift available is night shift
very fast paced but enjoyable
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 12, 2017
enjoyed this company they offered bonuses for store inventory and labor being controlled. It was challenging but very rewarding at the same time. I enjoyed the public.
Pros
great parties
Cons
lack of replacement for call outs
No benefits and pay is kind of low
Lead Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29209October 12, 2017
Overall it is a great Part time position for a college student or someone who doesn't have any real bills. I could never see myself retiring at Family dollar or working long term. It is a bust your butt kind of job and not too much worth the pay!
Pros
Staff, well at least my manager
Cons
Benefits and pay
very productive working envirement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rocky Point, NYOctober 12, 2017
Easy to maintain , a store & was able to motivate empolyees ,bring extreme satifaction to the customers as they entered the store .
Training the employees was one of my favorite things to do.
Pros
Greeting the costumer
Cons
Healtcare
Always short staft
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIOctober 12, 2017
Stores are run on a shoestring budget, Always short staffed. Training was minimal at best. Seemed to be a sink or swim environment. Very little positive feedback. Felt like everyone was always being judge in a negative light
Pros
Set store hours
Cons
low pay. stores are generally in not great locations, were often robbed
Intersting 1st job
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burbank, ILOctober 12, 2017
the day comprised of setting store up before opening putting products out and replacing empty shelves manager was very helpful thru out the day everyone there was very friendly all day was enjoyable hardest part was putting missed placed product back on shelves from customers putting elsewhere
Pros
easy location to get too
Cons
some customers would get angry and yell at you
Productive & Competitive
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chester, PAOctober 12, 2017
- My first day working at family dollar was for the most part overwhelming considering the responsibilities and duties expected of me. I had to learn fast, work hard, and above all become accurate in all areas of the job.

-Through consistency and repetition I learned how to pitch sales, cash management, stocking, inventory management, store policies, safety procedures and micro-management.

-The workplace though challenging, was rewarding considering the skills and knowledge I obtained through trial and error. I learn much from my associates and manager in the years I was employed.

-The hardest part of the job was cash management, considering when I started I had no prior knowledge on how to operate and maintain a cash register.

-The most enjoyable part of the job was unloading the truck, organizing the warehouse, and stocking the shelves.
Pros
A 30-minute lunch break
Cons
Workplace violence and armed robbery.
very competitive
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 12, 2017
Great experience with meeting different people. I love working with others and the atmosphere is great! Great benefits when you become a Full time employee.
Relaxed. A little too much.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe, OHOctober 12, 2017
Low pay, lack of appreciation, skeleton crew. Poor management in my situation. Terrible raises. I heard my raise after inventory was $.17. I was insulted.
Pros
the work was easy.
Cons
Skeliton crew, lack of apreciation, low pay
Poor Corporate Offices
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Challis, IDOctober 12, 2017
Ever since Dollar Tree bought Family Dollar the store has gone down hill. The employees are treated poorly and receive next to nothing for all of the work that they do.
Pros
Cons
short break, long hours
Cashier/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 11, 2017
cashier, stocking shelves, customer service, paperwork, ordering product, dealing with money, front end manager, supervising 5 cashiers, closing store,
Good
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Immokalee, FLOctober 11, 2017
Good job, that you would enjoy. The work/life balance is great, This is a great job opportunity for those who enjoy moving around and assisting customers face to face. The management is very understanding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Dollar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9