Family Dollar
3,560 reviews

Family Dollar Employer Reviews

Good first job!
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: helped me gain work experience.
Cons: unprofessional, lazy coworkers, unnecessary drama, and managers keep the store nasty now!
Overall my experience with Family Dollar was good. The only problem I had was how unprofessional my manager was. Besides the unprofessional behaviors that went on it was a good job especially for someone straight out of high school like myself. The job was easy, the hardest part for me was keeping a smile on my face when customers disrespected me. I enjoyed meeting new people, I have mad life long friends working for Family Dollar.
I loved my job!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Meriden, CTFebruary 13, 2015
My days at work were fine. I enjoyed management and my fellow teammates company. I learned how to deal with rude customers in a calm and polite manners. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unpleasant customers, it makes you feel like you've done something wrong, but I was taught how to approach and solve that matter. I'm not sure what the most enjoyable part of my job was, because it was all around a pleasant work environment.
workplace
Sales Rep (Current Employee), Bradenton, FLFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, great co workers
Cons: lack of pay, and lack of hours
average day, not much to learn in a grocery store, management was great,once in a while there was that one co-worker i didn't get a long with, it was only tough when i didn't have enough hours to do much job, the company was very flexible and i love working in grocery, wish the company never closed down
interesting place to wokr at.
Cashier/ Stocker (Former Employee), el paso tx.February 12, 2015
overall working at family dollar was not very fun. it would be the same thing every week and i do not like a job like that. the company does not even give us a brake ever.
I enjoyed working here mainly because I had good people working for me.
Assistant Manager / Cashier (Former Employee), Flagstaff, Az.February 12, 2015
Pros: had the opportunity to work with some good people, and the public.
Cons: very poor pay.
Pretty basic retail store work. Learned how to manage the store and about 6 people. I unloaded trucks, stocked shelves, balanced all receipts at the end of the shift, handled and problems with employees or customers, etc.
Nice
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: nice breaks and good hour
Cons: health care
It ok to work there but you have to stand for longs hours if you like that and then you have to do 3 or 4 things at one time. And you would have to stock shelves and fix or put back merchaise that is left behind by customers.
Fast-paced fun company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: very good benefits and scheduling
Cons: sometimes no breaks
A typical day very busy ,very well managed enjoyable part of job were the customers and their smiles.I learned to have patience and humility. I also built a great business relationship with the staff. The hardest part of the job was sometimes we were short staffed.
Family Dollar
Administrative Assistant for Regional VP (Current Employee), Anniston, ALFebruary 11, 2015
Position: Administrative Assistant to a local Regional Vice President
· Maintaining information, reports, records for all districts reporting to the RVP: Sales, Payroll, Cycle Counts, Customer
Service Scores, Inventory Compliance Reports & Projections, P & L, etc.
· Coordinating RVP’s travel: Flights, Rental Cars & Hotels needed for weekly districts
· Accessing weekly report file for RVPs district travel/visits for the week: P & L, Sales, Rosters, etc.
· Maintaining District Manager, Area Operations Managers files for RVP
· Maintaining current manager listings for all field managers
· Scheduling and coordinating training and travel for all new, incoming field/district managers & performance managers
· Coordinating M.A.P. (Management Advancement Program) training days along with the HRM (regional HR Manager)
· Coordinating District Meetings dependent on city and location chosen by Regional VP.
· Record keeping for districts Online Training Classes to measure compliance
Full Time Store Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: free breaks
Cons: retail store
A typical day when i was the only one at work and had to put the truck up all by myself. I learned how to manage money and also count the safe down. Management were very pleasing and polite. It wasn't a hard part at my job. The most enjoyable part of my job was making sure the consumers and store was staight,
Store Manager (Former Employee), Allentown, PAFebruary 10, 2015
Fast paced always busy. Had very many different rolls you filled. not enough associates to cover store shifts. Nice products good quality
Never a dull moment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Silver City, NMFebruary 10, 2015
I had a couple coworkers who I absolutely loved to work with, but for a while it was just me and one other person working which was ludicrous. I enjoyed staying busy, but I loathed being paid so poorly for a job that multiple would need to accomplish but it was only myself who was capable of completing it.
i havent worked here in many years
General Manager (Former Employee), tnFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: the staff
Cons: no home life
When i did work for them, they micromanaged and i was always at the store. if i had a day off i was called in. its a good place to start though
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 10, 2015
• Assisted the store manager in daily operation of the store (occasionally assuming store responsibility in his absence)
• Sold merchandise to customers following Family Dollar’s prescribed selling procedure
• Assisted manager in the implementation of complete merchandise information accurately in time
• Ensured Family Doll’s standard of store presentation was being followed by staff
• Took responsibility of keeping store clean and uncluttered by managing team of sweepers and cleaners
• Received, checked and shelved all merchandise products
• Assisted manager in placing purchase orders and managing inventory
• Completed all training materials and communicated company newsletters and other information to staff regularly
• Recorded information into registers manually and in computerized systems
• Completed daily registering and store open/close functions
• Took responsibly of company bank deposits as required by the store manager
Different Districts are very different
Assistant Store Manger (Former Employee), Edmond, OKFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: vacation time
Cons: low pay
It's a great place to work if they can just make all the districts the same. They put a lot on you for low pay. It has a very high turn over rate. You have to throw freight, run a register and do other tasks and mostly work alone. The hardest part of the job is trying to get things done and run a register when you are the only person in the store. The easiest is getting the paperwork done. Most enjoyable part is being able to help the customers.
fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Richfield, UTFebruary 9, 2015
pay was good,co corkers worked well with eachother,hours were flexible had enough people to cover if you were sick or could not come in for some reason.
A fun and exciting work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSFebruary 9, 2015
Cons: not enough hours to work.
My day at work was always exciting I love to work there because the managers and co-workers where fun to be around and they always made it easy for me to relive any stress I had before coming to work. They was helpful with customers and helpful to me when a customer try to give me a hard time. The only hard part of my job was a lot of people coming into our store and thinking they can steel.
okay
Cashier (Former Employee), callahan flFebruary 8, 2015
it was okay was promised a promotion that I never received the work is easy I was a cashier and I had left a management position some where else as soon as I got my old job back I left very quickly the store wasn't in good shape I really didn't like the hours they had given me it was like every week I was getting less and less hours that I eventually left but I did leave on good terms and gave a notice
A great work place
Clerk also (Current Employee), Detroit,MiFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: great environment
Cons: the customers
The typical day at Family Dollar was great. The work is very easy and a good workout. Management depends on what location you are.
Great people to work with
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Harrisburg, PAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: continvient shopping
Cons: upper level management, no breaks, no help from upper management
A typical day at work was busy, always on the go, and always interested in meeting new customers. The hardest part of my job was trying to maintain positive work experience and trying to get all work done.
Fun and interesting workpplace.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: great customer cliental and retail at a fast pace.
Cons: no room for advancement.
A typical day at Family Dollar was fun because of my customers and the relationships I built with them. Seeing the loyal customers on a weekly basis made my job interesting and enjoyable. I did emjoy the work I did for Family Dollar however I didnt see any room for adcancement or promotion. I showed alot of interest in wanting to move up the ladder but management at my particular store didnt show any feedback into my inquiries.

About Family Dollar

Penny-pinching single moms are drawn to Family Dollar. The nation's #2 dollar store (behind Dollar General) targets forty-something – Read more