Family Dollar Employee Reviews

Found 6,078 reviews matching the search
a fair and upbeat place to work
ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 5, 2016
Everyday is multitasking day,My day consist working a register, cleaning ,recovering the store, customer service,and stocking. I've learned to move fast and still providing a well stocked, clean and friendly environment for customer to shop. The mangers always provided great direction and a fair working environment. The hardest part of the job is constantly having to redo recovery to keep the store looking great! The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the customers that shopped at the store regularly . .
Pros
regular customers, fast pace, fair wages
Cons
short breaks, being alone in the store, customers stealing
Lies from the beginning
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 29, 2016
This company claims to value a home/work life balance. A mandatory 52 hour week (minimum), working with no other help in the building because payroll is cut drastically, district management is not readily available during business hours... There is nothing good about this company. NothingNothing. If you're desperate because you can't find work, go somewhere else. As a former store manager, I was promised $45K to start. That quickly turned into a "Oh I misunderstood you". Building repairs andand maintenance is a joke. This company has high turnover because they treat every employee like a criminal. They expect and welcome turnover.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no home life, poor compensation
Good place to work depending upon management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 28, 2015
I worked at Family Dollar on two different occasions in two different states. I would say that for a start Family Dollar is a nice job but there isn't much room for advancement. They will often times label you as part time worker and give you full time hours just to avoid having to pay you benefits. I had lovely co-workers and went through four managers in about a six month time. My second experience with Family Dollar I was fired one day after one day after wanting to go home feeling ill, something that could have been avoided had the district manager at the time adhered to warning. But if employed under proper management Family Dollar is a pleasant place to work.
Pros
works with schedule
Cons
no lunch break, rude people( at times)
Being a effective manager at Family Dollar
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCJanuary 22, 2016
Employees of Family Dollar must come to work and count their till for their cash draw before signing in on the register. Also employees are to front the store, stock, price changes, and cleaning. Working at Family Dollar i learned a lot about customer service, and being a efficient and effective team leader as well as a team player. There was always opportunities to work with all your co-workers whether it was the manager, assistant manager, 3rd key or cashiers.The hardest part of the job was when i relocated to another store for a promotion. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with the public and the ability to show my management and leadership skills.
not a great place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 9, 2016
Manager yells at you constantly in front of customers. You are by yourself and at risk for robberies and you have to watch both register and stock shelves. You have to do the truck by yourself and wait on customers. you are timed on truck and stocking the shelves if you take long you are yelled at. Management does not work around your schedule appointments including doctors appointments. Have to schedule around your assigned days off. The pay is too low and the good work you do is unnoticeable.
Pros
Some of the costumers are nice to you.
Cons
no lunch breaks, long hours, no benefits, Poorly treated and poor management .
work hard running stock, cleaning the store, offer the best customer service possible, increasing sells.
Store training Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 17, 2016
Family Dollar is a good company to work for that offers a good opportunity for advancement. It is a fast paced environment that requires it employees to work hard and encourages them to also have fun. It does run on very low labor budgets which also requires the employees to be alert and self motivated. There is usually only two people in the stores at one time, and during the first part of the day it is not unusual for the manager to be there for several hours alone. If you are a person who feels secure and can work independently then Family dollar is for you.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
great compensation for experienced managers
General cleaner,assembly line worker
General Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 26, 2016
I really enjoyed being employed by Family Dollar , My team members were very supportive .My only concern was the supervising staff & the lack of unprofessionalism when it came to placing employers to job positions that were NOT ALREADY SECIFIED.I would recommend a MORE RESPECTFUL, PROFESSIONAL honest Supervision team. More so SUPERVISORS THATB TAKE PRIDE IN HELPING THOROUGHLY WITH THE TRAINING OF TEAM MEMBERS...Not in RUSH lacking in patience for their job..
Pros
Great Oppurtunity for growth in different positions when given
Cons
Keep up with hours worked cause regular problems with employees pay out
A normal day as a sales associate
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAAugust 17, 2016
Making sure that the Safe/Registers are accurate. Maintain funds in cashiers registers for customers, Periodic cash pick--ups and safe drops. Build end caps with featured products, Stock shelves as well as do a detailed recovery of aisles. Drop off and pick up cash deposits and deposit slips, I'm learning how to convert shelves for upcoming seasons, My co-workers are fun and communicate with one another well, The hardest part of my job is being aware of the customers who steal products and make a scene or be aggressive with you. The customers are the most enjoyable part of my job.
Just a 50/50 type of work place
l Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hinesville, GANovember 13, 2015
Very people oriented. At times it could be fun but every job has its days. Not enough room for advancement in he company. There is a lot of favoritism within certain stores.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Only certain positions have benefits.
I love working with the public
Assisant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hart, MINovember 23, 2015
The best part was working with the public. I could give a smile to anyone even though they were not smiling when they came in. I love stocking the shelves and cleaning. The bad part was very little benefits. the scheduling was very inconsistent.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
Not enough benefits.
Never again
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEOctober 15, 2015
Never again will I work for a family dollar. They have favorites. If you are not a favorite you don't get treated properly. You get taken advantage of. Pay rate is junk for the amount of work that you are required to do. Never once received a pay raise after being full time assistant manager for a year. Never had call outs or no shows. Don't waste your time!
Alright
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 25, 2016
Learned while working at Family Dollar:
Cash Handling
People Skills
Freight Skills

Typical day starts with driving to the bank to make deposits and change for the store, come back and jump on a register so the other manager can end their shift. If working with a C.S.R having the ability to be away from the register and improve the store by recovering, throwing freight, or doing daily projects. Closing manager normally starts recovery or facing at 6-7pm till 9pm then start the night chores. Cigarette count, basic cleaning etc... Then last 15-30 minutes total deposit gets counted and entered into the computer system and locked away.

Hardest part of job would be dealing with unreliable work crew, High turnover rate and most stressful part.
Pros
Learning Experiance
Cons
Little to no breaks, Awful work hours
A good place to work
Stocker and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Frederica, DEAugust 30, 2015
A typical day of work consists of me clocking in and signing on a cash register then depending on what shift I have I clean the store windows on the doors and clean the counters. The for the most part of the day I run recovery around the store and restock things that are sold out. Then at the end of my shift I declare out on the register and count the money I made on the register and give it to the manager or assistant manager depending on who I work with. Then I finally clock out and go home.

The type of skills that I learned from the job are better people skills and how to work a cash register .
Benefits
Fair
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMay 23, 2016
On a good day, you can get through shift without any arguments from customers, any stupidity, and without having to run into the district manager. On a bad day, we get robbed, told off, and can't finish our work. I learned how to prefect my customer service and how to bite my tongue with any stupidity thrown at me by any customer. Management couldn't be flexible with my schedule even after repeating that I was going to school and what days/times and they were always changing my schedule (calling me to coming in early, staying later than usual, or not coming in at all). I've seen people get fired on their days off for not wanting to come in even if they had plans or had requested the day off.
Pros
opportunity for advancement but with high responsibility
Cons
the customers, the pay, the district manager, the managers
It all depends on managment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Pemberton, NJJune 19, 2016
I had no training for my promotion and had to learn things as I went, but being the most senior manager at my first store, it wasn't good enough. But my old managers and district manager helped a lot, knowing the circumstances, and I did eventually feel comfortable and confident running a store.
My new manager retrained me and my skills have since grown. I am more than capable of being a store manager and even training new team members efficiently.
However, the worse part of working for this company is that we can go through people very quickly, and unless your manager is very fond of you, you can be fired on the spot, without warning or say. And because of this, I have worked close to 50 hours for almost 3 weeks. They go through people quicker than they hire and properly train them.

Actually, the worse part is our low payroll. I have worked full, 8- hour shifts alone, meaning no bathroom breaks, no help, and definitely no lunch while still being expected to complete the required work load.
lots of work but fun experience
CSR/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAJuly 7, 2016
a typical day was coming in, clocking in then straight to work checking customers out and helping customers find what they are looking for. I learned a lot from this job since it was my first i learned how to work a register and how to talk to people. Management was good i talked a lot to my manager and she was very nice and open. My co-workers were my highlight they are the funniest and coolest people out here they welcomed me and helped me a lot. The hardest thing for me at the time was time management. The most enjoyable was the customers they brightened my day like no other!
Pros
free coupons
Cons
No free anything
Initially great, until the merger
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 15, 2016
I had a very strong 15 year career with upward mobility. It's disheartening that the merger had to release so much existing talent.The work structure was very challenging, which bred a high caliber of colleagues. My career path took me from through the field and eventually promoted into the corporate office. The field positions remained safe after the initial Dollar Tree merger, but the office positions were released unexpectedly.
Pros
Strong work ethic, close teams, high tenure
Cons
Basic pay, long (unexpected) hours, disconnected upper management
Fast-paced fun job.
Cashier / Stocker (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAAugust 10, 2016
I got to work counted my register. Began ringing out customers, stocked shells in between, priced products as well as put security tags on products. Helped customers when ever they needed something. Cleaned store, swept, mopped, unloaded merchandise. At end of shift counted draw and deposit for the day, dropped deposit in safe, closed store with assistant manager. Hardest part of job so much to do so little time, especially if your working with a co-worker that does not give their all.
Pros
Good Breaks, fun job.
Cons
Lack of benefits, often change in management and Untimely promotion.
Family dollar stores
Cashier/stocker (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, ALJune 28, 2016
I enjoy working at family dollar because i gave me the time i needed to complete my schooling. I have decent hours and i get a couple of weekends off. Management was fair, treating everyone fair. I've had previous customer service experience, but stocking was something i learned at family dollar. My co-workers were easy to get along with and a typical day had few challeges, but it was easygoing. The hardest part of my job was making sure stock was put out on time. Timing was key.However, now that I've finished school I'm looking for something a little more suited to me
Pros
Nice people, guaranteed weekends
Cons
low pay, no benefits
This was a very fun place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJune 14, 2016
A typical work day entailed operating the cash registers, answering the telephones, counting the tills before and after my shifts, greeting and assisting the customers, keeping the register areas neat and providing a positive shopping experience for the customers.

I learned that I have only one life to live and not to run after the shoplifters who came into the store and took things as though they had paid them...often in bulk.

The first manager was very effective in loss prevention. However, upon new management, those who shoplifted seemed to be "testing the waters" and got away with EVERYthing that they could possibly get away with.

I had VERY kind co-workers. So, the hardest part of my job was seeing the store close due to so much shrinkage and loss.

The most enjoyable part of the job was maintaining friendships/rapports with the customers and my co-workers along the way and just being able to help someone.
Pros
I enjoyed working with the public.
Cons
The area experienced a lot of theft over time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Dollar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9