Family Dollar
3,794 reviews

Family Dollar United States Employee Reviews

My work day
Loss Prevention/ Auditor (Current Employee), St. LouisApril 10, 2015
Pros: Making sure things are safe
Cons: Can tend to be a dangerous job
My typical day at work. I go in at my time scheduled arriving at least 30 mins to 45 mins early. I check out the cleanness of the store, make sure that everyone that is schedule to work is there and ready to began the day. I check employees uniforms to make sure they are neatly pressed and clean and name badge is correctly affixed on the right side of the their shirt where it's visible to see by the customers and myself. Second I walk around the store making sure that all high theft items are tagged , and also the low theft items as well. Merchandise is properly on the shelves neatly arranged and easy access for customers. Third I got to the back office to gather my paper work for the day, also making sure that the security camera's are working properly and are scanning the store as they should. Last I make sure that all my cashier' have enough change and singles, and also bags for merchandise. After that I make my rounds outside the store as well making sure all trash is away from the door and parking lot and shopping carts are at easy access to customers.
Four star company
Asst. Manager (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAApril 9, 2015
Family Dollar is great establishment to work.The company has great benefits in management level. The employees and customers are great. The hardest part of the job is truck day.The most enjoyable part is spending time with your family away from your family.
nighmare job
Bulk Order Filler (Former Employee), Matthews, NCApril 9, 2015
constant firings. manipulation of production numbers. onstant unnecessary pressure. no appreciation of mployees, 50+ hours a week
A freindly and productive place to work that I enjoy greatly!
Associate (Current Employee), Pinedale, WYApril 9, 2015
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: Not being able to get 40 hours a week
A typical day of work consits of helping custumers find what they are looking in the friendliest and most efficient way possible. Along with checking custumers out and doing returns when needed.
There are days of the week when we recieve store iventory and on those days we unload and stock shelves as well as cashier and help costumers when needed.
I have learned alot about team-work within the work place knowing that team work is what is neccesary in making a company work smoothly and effectively.
My management team is awesome,they are constantly showing me how to provide the best service and give my very best at all times.
My co-workers are also a big part in helping acheive what needs to be done and make work fun at the same time.
The hardest part of the job is having to do multipile tasks at the same time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the people and work envirionment. I could not ask for better!
Good benefits but unsafe work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 9, 2015
Pros: Good Benefits and advancement opportunities
Cons: Robberies are frequent
I enjoy working with people and the different areas or communities teach you how to deal with several different cultures.
A friendly a productive place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOApril 9, 2015
My experience at FD was one that was helpful to my degree field I was more able to get involved with the customer and get a fill of what it will be like when I start my own business.
cell phones
Cashier (Former Employee), Rocky Mount, NCApril 9, 2015
this company has an high turnover rate they have several different vendors that they work with. I have worked with this company two times and if given the chance would go back because of need
Hard work
Training Store Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 8, 2015
Pros: Left alone unless not making the sales
Cons: work/life balance
Never ending chaos. Rely on a staff of poor character people. No payroll to assist in running the store. The company has a lot of opportunity, not many people stick around to see the store successful. It definitely takes a lot of hard work to keep the store operational. One person drops the ball, the whole store turns to chaos.
corporate doesn't care.
Customer Service & Cashier (Former Employee), Shelbyville, TNApril 8, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: bad management
Disgrace of a company, was fired while pregnant (About a month) because i had to go to the emergency room because i was showing signs of miscarrying. I never called out, and always came in when they needed me to. I stayed late and came in early to help my coworkers. The lady who fired me stepped down 2 weeks later... it got up to 105 degrees in the store and they still wouldn't fix our air and we weren't allowed to open our doors for air....
productive
customer service (Former Employee), chandler,azApril 8, 2015
I would clean the store go around as customers for assistants if they need it and stock certain areas to keep the store looking presentable.
Steady work enviornment
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee), Dayton, OHApril 7, 2015
typical day at work would be steady paced, a little bust on truck days
I learned to multi task a bit better
management was fine. Could be a little more flexible
Co workers were nice
Hardest part of the job was trying to work in an environment that had mice!! One of the reasons why I left
Enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers
productive
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Coachella, CAApril 7, 2015
greet customer show them the specials going on for the day show them around the store. co workers were great and management
Working at Family Dollar
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), New Castle PaApril 7, 2015
Pros: alot of independant work
Cons: not a fast growing store
My usual day consisted of opening the store, booting up registers, checking petty cash. Checking everything was done the night before according to store policies. Making sure customers have an enjoyable experience shopping at our store and maintaining safe and secure environment.
Positive Thoughts
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Seat Pleasant, MDApril 7, 2015
Meeting new people everyday and helping who ever needs it. Making sure the store looks nice and presentable. Restocks of merchandise so customers can purchase more bringing in more profit for the company and helping them grow.
This is a place for young or single people because it's hard to raise a family while working here.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Company buy in
Cons: No breaks, low pay, long hours, and high demand from management
It was very hard trying to manage the store and raise a family, all the hours at the low pay was driving me crazy. The best thing about the job was meeting new people. The worst thing about the job was the low pay.
good job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Waycross, GAApril 7, 2015
It is a good job to work at.They just need a better scheduling system.They need to be more flexible with their employee needs.
Cut Throat Retail Company
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee), Stratford, CTApril 6, 2015
Pros: not much honestly none it is a j.o.b (just over broke)
Cons: There is nothing good enough.
The work was fulfilling and labor intensive and you need to be at the top of your game to survive. it has unrealistic expectations of people to hourly clear a truck of merchandise and monitor the entire store for theft. and in the end they will fire you for a simple mistake with no mercy or pity.
fun place good people
Clerk (Former Employee), Kenosha, WIApril 6, 2015
good people and nice managers made that place a good place to work and a great inviorment for good working, i enjoyed my time there and learned how to use a cash register and stock the shelfs
nice clean store
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), East Point, GAApril 6, 2015
Pros: got to work lots of hours
Cons: was treated porly
nice place to work at but management doesnt treat people fare . will discuss further thanks in time. I learned more money management skills. The hardest part was never getting breaks when suppose too.
please customers
Cashier and Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Landover, MDApril 6, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: standing for long hours
cashiering,drops,unloading trucks,inputting checks,credit cards,counting drawers,help assit police,problem solving,calling checks in.facing products,cleaning,mopping.

About Family Dollar

Family Dollar is one of the fastest growing discount store chains in the United States. The merchandising strategy that drives – Read more

Family Dollar Salaries