Family Dollar Employee Reviews

Found 8,356 reviews matching the search
interacting with customers on a daily basis
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, VAJuly 12, 2017
It is a friendly working environment, manager is very easy going and understands the needs of families and employees with children. it was never a day that i regretted working there.
Pros
Breaks, cool working environment was never too hot in the store
Cons
short shifts
not good
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 12, 2017
Although they gave 9 hr which is a good intermediate start rate the company has a very bad turn around rate while I was there for just over a year I had been through 3 managers and even more Assistant managers, I could barely remember the other cashiers names because they were in and out so fast. The store also needed to have security but none was provided we were usually only two people in the store and with no security it was scary some times. There was an instance where one of the employees got caught stealing and so they went and interviewed all of the other employees asking us questions which is not good for the employee environment.
Pros
alright pay for beginners
Cons
not safe, quick turn arround, bad culture
Boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MichiganJuly 12, 2017
It was very boring, I didn't have much experience at this time but it seemed like I was always stuck behind the register and never got to do anything else.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Not good benefits or oppurtunities
overworked and under paid
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Huber Heights, OHJuly 12, 2017
Constantly changing staff. Workers are blamed by corporate for everything in the stores. Constantly changing rules. Every store is ran differently as per management.
Pros
no pros
Cons
no breaks, even for the restroom
Productive place to visit
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chester, PAJuly 12, 2017
Its a good place to shop for typical food items, and they have cute and fashionable outfits their for women and men. They also have friendly staff who are always willing to help and give a helping hand, They also have workers who meet and greet making customers happy. They always make sure they Customers walk out satisfied.
Pros
Staff and Security
Cons
Short Breaks
Stressful and busy.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 12, 2017
I honestly didn't agree with how the store I worked for was ran. It was always stressful and never easy. It was very clean because it had been recently set up. I ran a register which was pretty easy learning.
very friendly work place. great tem work
Front Counter Cashier (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 12, 2017
working at family dollar was a fast paste environment always working together as a team I learned a lot like how to close a retail store count down a draw, How to do a deposit's. The hardest part would have been unloading the truck every week.. knowing we would have the item's are customer's wanted was a great feeling
Pros
working with a good team, hitting are goals
Cons
working without a full stuff.. but still getting the job done
Productive, Busy, Supportive
Customer service (Former Employee) –  West Monroe, LAJuly 12, 2017
Truck day was challenging at first but pulling together as a team and learned how to utilize my players assigning team player in different departments made it fun and easy
Pros
bonuses
Wonderful job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARJuly 12, 2017
Family Dollar is a wonderful job. Great benefits paid vacation
Alot of bending and lefting. Over all it is a wonderful job. Try it you like it. It has it's perks
Running the store
TRAINING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Paris, KYJuly 12, 2017
I enjoyed to working with this company for the many different job I did. The different store displayed to setting plamogram to employees.To training store managers .This job was great experience for me
Pros
Learing all I lesrned
Cons
cant think of one thing
work place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Wales, FLJuly 12, 2017
it is a job has the good part and bad part of this job. I think the company should give more payroll so the store could run more efficently..Other than that it not that bad of a compnay to work for.
Great atmosphere and small store
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 11, 2017
As an Assistant Manager for this company, I have learned several things like the responsibilities that come along with making sure the store is running smoothly and there are no problems among customers and their service. It was easy to catch on because the routine was basically the same every week and the only changes were the seasonal items that would come in to make their way into a new section. There was nothing hard about the job, everything was doable and reasonable. I enjoyed the interaction and relationships I built with several customers, whether they were daily customers or people that would come in every once in a while. It's been an enjoyable time and I believe it is time to continue to move up and build towards my future career.
Pros
Small store, great customers
Cons
uncooperative staff
Very fast paced job. Very physically demanding in which I like
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 11, 2017
I worked in a very busy community ie., school districts, food restaurant jobs, factories, auto shops, I was able to help serve a community in which my store held products for. I also stayed busy by working the weekly trucks to stock the store as well as manage other employees.
Pros
affordable store for me and my family to shop
Cons
pettie thieft from the neighboring customers and mis behaved children frequenting the location
Fun and sometimes difficult workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Laurelville, OHJuly 11, 2017
I loved working with customers. I got attached to some of the people that were regular customers. It was difficult to run the register while stocking merchandise so I was definitely busy. When we were not busy, I found things to do like sweep or mop the floor or just organize shelves. I learned that working with the public can be a lot of fun but also difficult, especially when customers are not happy about something. No matter what the situation was I had to stay calm and help them to the best of my ability.
Pros
You get a half hour lunch break if desired
Cons
not very many raises, long hours
Fun work place!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Port Richey, FLJuly 11, 2017
Warm friendly environment with a wonderful customer base. Greeting and assisting customers with their needs. Stocking shelves, taking inventory of product, rotating stock etc. Assist cashier with returns and change. Answer any question that they have about their tasks for the day or any other question that they may have.
Fast paced time managed with good benefits.
Bulk Sign-Out Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTJuly 11, 2017
Multi-tasking,fast paced. The team members are good hard working people. Customer service based. Excellent benefits, time off -paid and health benefits.
Very nice staff but no benifits no raise
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARJuly 11, 2017
It is a ok starting management job. But has no real benefits. Management was very kind and easy going. but maybe to easy going big loss prevention problem. mainly do to current employs and past employs
Pros
nice staff
Cons
very unorganized company
Great workplace.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 11, 2017
I was provided with great hours and my coworkers were great. I had a few issues with management but overall every body was respectful. I left because of relocation issues.
No balance in corporate understanding.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Boutte, LAJuly 11, 2017
There is a disconnect between an in store employee (ASM) and out side of store employees. This creates a lot of frustration and dysfunction at times. With that being said, the job can be rewarding at times. This happens most when you have a strong team in place in each store!
Stock worker
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 11, 2017
I worked there for a summer, I helped set up three new stores. Stocking was fun and pretty easy to do. We had an hour lunch break, and we had a good working environment.
Pros
Great leadership
Cons
You will be on your feet all day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Dollar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9