Family Guidance Center

Family Guidance Center United States Employee Reviews

Do not hire on as a CSS
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee), St. Joseph, MOFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: occasionally helping someone, coworker support, traditional 40 hour work week
Cons: low pay, poor management, high stress, poor training, negative enviorment
The job is high stress, low pay, poor training, poor management, and the focus is much more clearly on billing medicaid rather than improving the lives of your caseload. Since joining FGC I have received contradictory instructions at least once a week. There are many rules that serve to do nothing other than make the job harder, for example all paper schedules are banned and you need to use your computer to schedule which is difficult and glitchy. The training does not begin to help you help those you are supposed to help, and if your supervisor helps you it is to improve notes and make more medicaid hours. There have been multiple people walking out of this job without notice because of the stress, and the turnover is ridiculous. The coworkers are great and try to help, but it minimally improves the overall experience.

It makes me very sad because the clients are hurt most by the turnover. The best people who try to follow the rules, help people, and don't pad their hours are the quickest to get in trouble. Once you cross management they seek out reasons to make your life more difficult.

Helping people is rewarding, but the cons completely overshadow that; it is made more difficult to help people than it should be.
Quiet and professional
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR- RASC II (Current Employee), Saint Joseph, MOSeptember 25, 2014
The atmosphere is one of peaceful interactions and professional attire and conversation.
Compensation
Comunity Support Specialist (Current Employee), St. Joseph MoApril 20, 2014
Pros: set working hours, flexable hours.
Cons: everything
Your at constant fear of losing your job if your not in with management. Even if you are the best employee you can be, there is no room for mistake. It rolls down hill. You can follow protocall and do exactly what u are told, but if there is something that comes up, no matter who should take responsibility, low man gets blamed. Because upper/mid management are all friends. A caseworker or CSS puts on average 70 miles a day on their personal vehicle and the only compensation is 40 to 45c per mile. Car breaks down u are threatened that you will lose your job cause transportation is a must. But who can make a continuous car payment and pay living expense, student loan ext at 12.98 an hour. Maybe those without a family. The promised 27k yr that is advertised is NOT the base pay. U have to hope to get a bonus or overtime to even make 27k. You make 25,000 per year to start. Most people don't make bonus because they find reasons to have people on a penalty plan, which makes u exempt of raises, using your pto, or bonus. They aren't concerned for the safety of the workers either. Have to make production there, like a factory of mental health patients. If u cant bill the insurance for it and make billable hours, your not allowed to do it. Your pushed to commit medicaid fraud or u lose your job because u didn't make your billable hours. Your also given so much work that the mass majority of caseworkers don't take a lunch to get caught up with their responsibility.. Unpaid. No overtime allowed.
Very flexible and great company to work for.
Case Manager/Subsidized Employment Coordinator (Current Employee), Montgomery, ALApril 14, 2014
I love working here the days are always interesting and very busy.
Fun place to intern
PRACTICUM (Former Employee), Wyomissing, PAApril 8, 2014
I learned a lot from my short experience at FGC. Since I am only completing an Associates Degree program in Human Services, there is not much clinical work I am able to participate in. None the less, I was still included in many activities, felt very comfortable, and welcomed by all. The work environment is that of the client. The people that are part of the agency whether it is LSW, therapist, counselors, etc. all have the client's best interest in heart. This one mindedness made up of all different types, cultures, sexes, and backgrounds make it's diversity a welcoming environment.
great place to work with children
childcare provider (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALMarch 26, 2014
i work with preschool children, infants i help[ the children get ready for preschool and i feed and did daily care for the children.
Fun and independent environment
Substance Abuse Counselor/Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2014
Pros: helping other
Cons: emotionally draining
Independent and group counseling to individual that struggle with substance abuse
Stressful
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee), Saint Joseph, MOFebruary 23, 2014
I have learned great ways to access resources for my consumers or for myself and that has helped a lot.
I enjoyed working at Family Guidance Center. I liked the people
Intake Specialist (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: taught me the computer
It was a nice place to work for. I worked part time in Richardson and some days in downtown Dallas.
Productive and fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, NJJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: great boss
Cons: far
Typical day was great, I learned many different things here. Management was great as well as co-workers. The hardest part of the job was that I moved away and had to leave. Everything was enjoyable at the company.
Mediocre at Best
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee), St. Joseph, MOOctober 20, 2013
Pros: they will pay for your certifications needed for the job
Cons: everything else
A typical day included doing substance abuse groups and individual sessions. Training is minimal, with employees left to "fend for themselves" in regard to how to do their jobs. The hours were long and travel added to that. Management was "ok" with a couple of really good supervisors, but most were just average or sub-par. If you are not "in" with the group, you won't go far.
very fear based organization
EMPLOYEE (Former Employee), ST JOSEPH MOAugust 12, 2013
Pros: 5 o'clock
Cons: too much drama. it's a fear based place to work
Lacks employee recognition for doing good work. Training is lacking.
Full of agency drama. It's hard to tell who needs services the most the organization or the population it's suppose to serve.
Fast paced environment
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MOJune 25, 2013
Pros: helping so many wonderful people
Cons: unorganized and unclear instructions
A typical day at work consisted of meeting with clients in caseload and assessing their mental well being. I learned a lot about the different mental health issues and different medications used to help with treatment. The management was good and always around for questions. My co-worker were very hardworking and compassionate. The hardest part of the job was witnessing tragic events or hearing about terrible childhood memories. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my client succeed at things they thought they never would.
Poor place to work
OSA 1 (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MOJune 21, 2013
Poor values here. If you are not "in" with the right people you may as well forget job security.
Nice People, Laid Back Culture, Good Benfits
Building Maintenance (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MOMay 10, 2013
Pros: compensation and benefits
It was a Great Place to Work, Lasted for 2 and a Half years, and had Great Benefits. Management were also Very Good People to Work For.
Very family friendly and aring facility.
LPN Case Manager SAMSHA Grant (Current Employee), Hamilton, NJFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: expensive benefits
Typical day consists of returning calls, faxing documents, flow thru on medical issues, input of refills, medical documentation in computerized charts, processing referrals for over 70+ patients solely staffed by myself. Hardest part of job is not having enough support staff. Most enjoyable being able to help those who can't help themselves.
Very family friendly and aring facility.
LPN Case Manager SAMSHA Grant (Current Employee), Hamilton, NJFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: expensive benefits
A great place to work and management were very supportive.
Payroll Administrator/ Accounting Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2012
Pros: quarterly meeting with free lunch, year end celebration with free lunch and christmas bonus to all.
Cons: working on saturday and finding coverage.
Check attendance to ensure that payroll, accounts payable, account receivables and billing were covered. Allocated resources when needed, Communicated issues and concerns to the CFO and continue the day to day activities in accounting (reporting, documentation and employee performance evaluation).

I have learned the full process of accounting up to financial reporting.

Management were very supportive of the growth of the company and the employees.

Co-workers were great and I get along very well with them.

The hardest part of the job was during end of the quarter and year end financial reporting.

Meeting and exceeding goals expectations and being recognized for a job well done. Co-workers getting along very well and making the day go easy and enjoyable to work with.
enjoyable place to work and great hours
receptionist (Former Employee), Dothan, ALSeptember 24, 2012
computor experience did lots of data entry
enjoyed working with my co workers and got along with my co workers; the hardest part of my job was doing all the monthly reports, the most enjoyable part of my job was customer service I enjoyd talking to the clients.
Fun work place
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 20, 2012
Cons: short breaks
On a daily I was a Receptionist. This job help me with my customer service skills, filing and how to operate office equipment. The hardest part with dealing with clients/customers and getting the Urine Analsys. But it help open a lot of doors for me and help me deal with the public of all works of life.