Family Guidance Center Employee Reviews

Good Company
IDDT Specialist/QMHP (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MONovember 17, 2017
I enjoy working for Family Guidance Center. Family Guidance Center provides a much needed service to assist those with behavioral health issues, chronic mental health diagnoses, and substance use disorders.
Awful management
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Maryville, MONovember 7, 2017
Family Guidance is a terrible place to work. There's no career advancement what-so-ever, the pay isn't what you deserve, the management is absolutely terrible and some of the staff are extremely rude and unprofessional. They constantly change requirements and give you more and more work with no compensation. They preach self-care but yet aren't doing anything to help you.The work is good, it's rewarding and I became very close with my consumers but it isn't worth it. The company doesn't care about their employee's, or their consumer's. Staff talk behind your back, if you have a problem, the management doesn't listen so honestly what is the point. I ignored everyone's warnings when I first started but I ended up learning the hard way.
Pros
paid holidays, benefits, rewarding work
Cons
management, drama, lack of concern and assistance, short staffed
A Difficult Job with Potential Rewards
Community Support Specialist/PSR Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOOctober 10, 2017
Office suffers from poor management that can't motivate workers, constantly shifting standards for receiving funding, and a great deal of pressure on individuals at the lowest rung of the ladder. However, the opportunity to directly affect the community and see changes in the consumers you work with can be rewarding.
It's a great place to work
Parent Educator Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 17, 2017
I would have to say this is one of my faviorte jobs. You work from home ,so you don't to worry about co workers. However, you're working off grants,so that may be an issue other than that it's a great job
Pros
it's working from home
Cons
driving all over time they only serve Alabama
Family Gudiance Center Experience
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJuly 3, 2017
I loved my time working at Family Gudiance Center. It was a busy job and at times challenging due to having to make production hours and visit a certain number of consumers each day. A typical day would consist of going to the office and having a moring meeting with my supervisor. After morning meetings I would take about an hour to get anything else I needed to get done from the previous day or for the upcoming day. The rest of the day was spent with consumers at school or in the home. Although there was a lot of work to be done there were many rewarding days. Being in the field of casemanagment and helping children is one of the best gifts I could give children and Family Gudiance Center allowed me to do just that. I learned that even the longest and hardest days can never compare to the importance of helping a child in need. One of the best parts of the workplace at Family Guidance Center is that other workers and supervisors were always so willing to help other workers when needed. It was also great that as a company they would recognize employees and teams when great work was being accomplished. I truly learned so much about case management and working with children and their families.
Non stressful job
Peer Support Advocate (Former Employee) –  Phillipsburg, NJJune 21, 2017
I spent time teaching myself the DSM book used by the doctors to analyze their clients. Good job for a student. Training was brief, not much to do at the job until a peer arrived at the hospital for a crisis issue.
Not a job to grow with. I learned how to talk to a peer in a crisis situation. How to comfort my peers during a crisis. Nothing hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was being out with people.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Sat all day, noting to do
Professional, caring and friendly.
Senior Biller (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJJune 19, 2017
A respectful professional work place where staff and clients are family matters. Professional busy, but very multi culture with a dress code that was good for everyone.. Just enjoyable to come to work daily for 41 years.

Great benefits, time off and shared time with each other, staff was always willing to help each other. This behavioral flowed over to the clients we help on a daily base.. For me the hardest part of my position was tracking statistics .
Pros
Friendly, casual and very professional.
Emergency Service Advocate
Travelers Aid/Emergency Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALApril 20, 2017
A typical day at work solely depends on the mindset of the consumer and the frame of mind of your supervisor. You learn the minimum because working for a non profit has it peeps. the workplace culture varies. There is nothing hard about this job as long as you do your work. The most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference in one life and conversing with consumers.
enjoyable work place
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOMarch 6, 2017
I wish the pay was better I would of liked to stayed nonprofit organization made it hard to stay working for a little amount of income. Like being around others
Overall experience the worse ever
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MODecember 2, 2016
Unless you like being talk to like you are trash off the street don't entertain working there. They do no respect you, they are full of s$$$, if you don't like kissing butt, you will be gone. Grin in your face and talk smack behind your back. If you are not with the in crowd forget job security. Nothing professional about the place period!
Pros
Cons
Favortism
It was a great work enviroment.
Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ALSeptember 27, 2016
i personally loved working there .. The office staff was great and very helpful and they projected the same love onto their clients. I actually wish i go back.
Pros
Breaks and no one standing watching your every move.
Cons
Unhappy clients venting their frustration.
very helpful and organized
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  reading, paAugust 28, 2015
I was a receptionist here. it was a very fast paced job but I tend to work very well. I answered phones, schedule appointments , and assist other co workers.
Wonderful staff and supportive environment
Facilitator- Children in the Middle Program (Current Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAJuly 9, 2015
The clinicians are intelligent and sincere in their work. The agency is a desired location for internship due to the level of support and encouragement the team provides the interns, welcoming them into the agency and involving them from day one.
Pros
Good staff all around
Cons
Takes time to get decisions
Great work place, friendly atmosphere
OSA II (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJune 11, 2015
Supervised two employees, answered phones and scheduled appointments, worked closely with consumers, co-workers very friendly, i enjoyed working there alot
Pros
1 hr lunch, works with dr. appts., works with you if emergency arises
A productive working environment
Case Manager/Waiting List Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALMarch 9, 2015
The experience here has given me a competitive edge allowing me to develop my management skills by delegating work to staff as per their skills and abilities, scheduling deadlines, encouraging others to improve themselves, and learning to correct others properly and respectfully.
Pros
Employee interaction and team spirit
Do not hire on as a CSS
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOFebruary 5, 2015
The job is high stress, low pay, poor training, poor management, and the focus is much more clearly on billing medicaid rather than improving the lives of your caseload. Since joining FGC I have received contradictory instructions at least once a week. There are many rules that serve to do nothing other than make the job harder, for example all paper schedules are banned and you need to use your computer to schedule which is difficult and glitchy. The training does not begin to help you help those you are supposed to help, and if your supervisor helps you it is to improve notes and make more medicaid hours. There have been multiple people walking out of this job without notice because of the stress, and the turnover is ridiculous. The coworkers are great and try to help, but it minimally improves the overall experience.

It makes me very sad because the clients are hurt most by the turnover. The best people who try to follow the rules, help people, and don't pad their hours are the quickest to get in trouble. Once you cross management they seek out reasons to make your life more difficult.

Helping people is rewarding, but the cons completely overshadow that; it is made more difficult to help people than it should be.
Pros
Occasionally helping someone, Coworker support, traditional 40 hour work week
Cons
Low Pay, Poor Management, High Stress, Poor Training, Negative Enviorment
Quiet and professional
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR- RASC II (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOSeptember 25, 2014
The atmosphere is one of peaceful interactions and professional attire and conversation.
Compensation
Comunity Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph MoApril 20, 2014
Your at constant fear of losing your job if your not in with management. Even if you are the best employee you can be, there is no room for mistake. It rolls down hill. You can follow protocall and do exactly what u are told, but if there is something that comes up, no matter who should take responsibility, low man gets blamed. Because upper/mid management are all friends. A caseworker or CSS puts on average 70 miles a day on their personal vehicle and the only compensation is 40 to 45c per mile. Car breaks down u are threatened that you will lose your job cause transportation is a must. But who can make a continuous car payment and pay living expense, student loan ext at 12.98 an hour. Maybe those without a family. The promised 27k yr that is advertised is NOT the base pay. U have to hope to get a bonus or overtime to even make 27k. You make 25,000 per year to start. Most people don't make bonus because they find reasons to have people on a penalty plan, which makes u exempt of raises, using your pto, or bonus. They aren't concerned for the safety of the workers either. Have to make production there, like a factory of mental health patients. If u cant bill the insurance for it and make billable hours, your not allowed to do it. Your pushed to commit medicaid fraud or u lose your job because u didn't make your billable hours. Your also given so much work that the mass majority of caseworkers don't take a lunch to get caught up with their responsibility.. Unpaid. No overtime allowed.
Pros
Set working hours, flexable hours.
Cons
everything
Very flexible and great company to work for.
Case Manager/Subsidized Employment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALApril 14, 2014
I love working here the days are always interesting and very busy.
Fun place to intern
PRACTICUM (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAApril 8, 2014
I learned a lot from my short experience at FGC. Since I am only completing an Associates Degree program in Human Services, there is not much clinical work I am able to participate in. None the less, I was still included in many activities, felt very comfortable, and welcomed by all. The work environment is that of the client. The people that are part of the agency whether it is LSW, therapist, counselors, etc. all have the client's best interest in heart. This one mindedness made up of all different types, cultures, sexes, and backgrounds make it's diversity a welcoming environment.