Family Hospice & Palliative Care

Family Hospice & Palliative Care Employee Reviews

Great in Theory - poor in reality
direct patient care (Current Employee), pittsburgh, paJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: hardworking co-workers
Cons: high turnover in management - lack of support, poor equipment, lack of supplies
As with any health related field, there are consistent issues with employee retention and being overworked. Family Hospice is by no means left out of that normal. As a non-profit organization, they try – more... to pride themselves on not having profit as a mission but due to million dollar losses in the past, still can not avoid following the almighty dollar. The newer CEO has deployed a vision of placing the importance on the employees that are involved with direct care of the patients. Sounds wonderful and at first it was. Many of the management positions were consolidated, as people were leaving they weren't being replaced and the look of the budget improved. Now, as good managers have become overworked and have left, they too are not being replaced. It has become next to impossible to call for the help and support needed in the field. The cuts have gone too deep.

Other issues include:
*horrible charting system with servers that even the outsourced tech support can't believe.

*poor cell phones and equipment

*ridiculous restrictions on supply orders such as for incontinence

*high case loads for both nurses and aides

*No emotional support for the direct care who are seeing death and loss on a daily basis.

Some pros:
*great group of peers

*benefits and pay are ok, I've seen and heard of much worse

*they are ethical in their admissions and use of inpatient units – less
poor organization and lack of communication
prospective employee (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 14, 2014
Pros: large employer, good reputation in the industry
Cons: poor organization, lack of leadership, lack of communication
My experience with the interview/hiring process was plagued by poor organization and lack of communication. I did not feel that I would be valued by the organization and felt like a "cog in the wheel" right from the start. I ended up not taking the job in the end.
Myopic Strategic Vision/Lack of Business Leadership
Business Development (Former Employee), Mt. LebanonSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: beautiful facilities, affiliation with upmc
Cons: low pay, hostile attitudes, resting on laurels
As in many of the hospice providers that I have either worked for or have researched, Family Hospice has a large concentration of management that has a background in one discipline. In some organizations, – more... this discipline is nursing, but at Family Hospice this discipline is social work.
While social workers (or nurses) provide a great deal of valuable knowledge and service to those that they serve, it is very short-sighted to believe that social workers (or nurses) have the KSA's needed to be successful in every aspect of running a successful business. At FHPC, the former and current CEO, VP of Operations, Manager of Business Development, and Manager of Volunteer Services all have a background in social work. In my opinion, this lack of breadth in educational background and experience has led to the myopic view of strategic management, a hostile work environment that many have noted, and the high degree of turnover that is well-documented.
While I leaned a great deal about the hospice industry while I worked for FHPC, the culture was very stagnating and hostile if you were not considered to be in the right circles. There are factions of a team in certain offices, but the idea of a true team didn't exist on a global level. – less
Great mission and excellent clinical staff
Development / Marketing (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 12, 2013
A good work environment in which to provide end-of-life care

About Family Hospice & Palliative Care

Certified since 2001 by The Joint Commission, the nation’s leading health care accrediting organization, Family Hospice – Read more

Family Hospice & Palliative Care Photos

Family Hospice staff appreciates the opportunity to provide compassionate care to those we serve.
Family Hospice and Palliative Care staff are passionate about providing compassionate care.