Family Hospice & Palliative Care

Family Hospice & Palliative Care Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome place to work
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Marion, INMay 11, 2016
It is one of the best places I have ever worked!! I recommend them to everyone and even had my sister with them when she passed away. My heart is with this company and career.
Pros
it is so rewarding
Cons
If you are let go involuntary you are never rehirable
positive environment
Medical Records Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Forest Hills, PAMarch 30, 2016
Typical day at work included team management. I enjoyed working for this company but am looking to change my working environment.
FH is the largest hospice in the area
Spiritual Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mount Lebanon, PASeptember 17, 2015
FH has the respect and dedication of the workforce.
Field staff is sometimes overworked and stressed out in an attempt to provide quality care to patients and their families
High turnover
anonymous (Former Employee) –  pittsburghAugust 16, 2015
This organization has a toxic work environment. The ceo is a true politician and loves to say what everyone wants to hear. She first joined the company and unfolded all her big plans and told us that she wasn't removing anything just "supplementing" and it was no
Time at all before people were suddenly being laid off under the radar. She made multiple remarks to other staff that their jobs could be done by volunteers, which is really not great for morale (in an already emotionally exhausting job). I could never get what I needed to do my job when I worked there. It was a fiasco just to get someone to get my computer hooked up to the printer. Another sad case of a non profit with a great cause but with too many ill intentioned management for it to matter. Too much politics and not enough non profit work.
Great in Theory - poor in reality
direct patient care (Current Employee) –  pittsburgh, paJanuary 8, 2015
As with any health related field, there are consistent issues with employee retention and being overworked. Family Hospice is by no means left out of that normal. As a non-profit organization, they try to pride themselves on not having profit as a mission but due to million dollar losses in the past, still can not avoid following the almighty dollar. The newer CEO has deployed a vision of placing the importance on the employees that are involved with direct care of the patients. Sounds wonderful and at first it was. Many of the management positions were consolidated, as people were leaving they weren't being replaced and the look of the budget improved. Now, as good managers have become overworked and have left, they too are not being replaced. It has become next to impossible to call for the help and support needed in the field. The cuts have gone too deep.

Other issues include:
*horrible charting system with servers that even the outsourced tech support can't believe.

*poor cell phones and equipment

*ridiculous restrictions on supply orders such as for incontinence

*high case loads for both nurses and aides

*No emotional support for the direct care who are seeing death and loss on a daily basis.

Some pros:
*great group of peers

*benefits and pay are ok, I've seen and heard of much worse

*they are ethical in their admissions and use of inpatient units
Pros
hardworking co-workers
Cons
high turnover in management - lack of support, poor equipment, lack of supplies
poor organization and lack of communication
prospective employee (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 14, 2014
My experience with the interview/hiring process was plagued by poor organization and lack of communication. I did not feel that I would be valued by the organization and felt like a "cog in the wheel" right from the start. I ended up not taking the job in the end.
Pros
large employer, good reputation in the industry
Cons
poor organization, lack of leadership, lack of communication
Myopic Strategic Vision/Lack of Business Leadership
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Mt. LebanonSeptember 17, 2013
As in many of the hospice providers that I have either worked for or have researched, Family Hospice has a large concentration of management that has a background in one discipline. In some organizations, this discipline is nursing, but at Family Hospice this discipline is social work.
While social workers (or nurses) provide a great deal of valuable knowledge and service to those that they serve, it is very short-sighted to believe that social workers (or nurses) have the KSA's needed to be successful in every aspect of running a successful business. At FHPC, the former and current CEO, VP of Operations, Manager of Business Development, and Manager of Volunteer Services all have a background in social work. In my opinion, this lack of breadth in educational background and experience has led to the myopic view of strategic management, a hostile work environment that many have noted, and the high degree of turnover that is well-documented.
While I leaned a great deal about the hospice industry while I worked for FHPC, the culture was very stagnating and hostile if you were not considered to be in the right circles. There are factions of a team in certain offices, but the idea of a true team didn't exist on a global level.
Pros
beautiful facilities, affiliation with upmc
Cons
low pay, hostile attitudes, resting on laurels
Hospice Service
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Berne, IndianaApril 4, 2013
The company is a great one for welcoming new staff and offering thorough, nurturing orientation. However, after the orientation, the work chewed people up and spit them out. Working with patients and families was terrific, rewarding, and fulfilling, but management was quite happy for staff to burn themselves out, while offering lip service to the idea of self care and support. Money, not people, was the bottom line. During periods of growth, management was typically unprepared for the growth, not hiring enough staff to accommodate the increased work load and not supporting staff who were overwhelmed. Staff morale suffered greatly at the hands of management who seemed to have little familiarity or sympathy for the workers in the field. Seemingly high turnover of staff was an indicator that a so-called caring organization did not regard staff personnel as customers/clients, caring for them less than the budgetary bottom line, which seems pretty typical of businesses these days.
Pros
good welcome and orientation.
Cons
high turnover, poor regard and care for staff
Very calm atmosphere fosters productivity.
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 3, 2013
Largest and premier provider of hospice services in Western PA. Joint Commission accredited, leadership and Staff committed to excellence at all levels. Exceptional customer service. Many chances for staff to advance at most levels. Clinical staff is encouraged to attain hospice certification and provided a bonus upon certification and ongoing if it is maintained. Great place to work.
Pros
dedicated and compassionate employees from leadership to staff.
Cons
no workplace is perfect!