Family Hospice & Palliative Care

Family Hospice & Palliative Care Employee Review

View all Family Hospice & Palliative Care reviews

Myopic Strategic Vision/Lack of Business Leadership
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Mt. LebanonSeptember 17, 2013
As in many of the hospice providers that I have either worked for or have researched, Family Hospice has a large concentration of management that has a background in one discipline. In some organizations, this discipline is nursing, but at Family Hospice this discipline is social work.
While social workers (or nurses) provide a great deal of valuable knowledge and service to those that they serve, it is very short-sighted to believe that social workers (or nurses) have the KSA's needed to be successful in every aspect of running a successful business. At FHPC, the former and current CEO, VP of Operations, Manager of Business Development, and Manager of Volunteer Services all have a background in social work. In my opinion, this lack of breadth in educational background and experience has led to the myopic view of strategic management, a hostile work environment that many have noted, and the high degree of turnover that is well-documented.
While I leaned a great deal about the hospice industry while I worked for FHPC, the culture was very stagnating and hostile if you were not considered to be in the right circles. There are factions of a team in certain offices, but the idea of a true team didn't exist on a global level.
Pros
Beautiful facilities, affiliation with UPMC
Cons
Low pay, hostile attitudes, resting on laurels

Other Family Hospice & Palliative Care Employee Reviews

I liked everything about Family Hospice
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 19, 2017
I enjoyed working at Family Hospice...everyone knew their job and competed their tasks as they were expected. We did not have any micro managers. The employees were all adults and acted accordinly.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Awesome place to work
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Marion, INMay 11, 2016
It is one of the best places I have ever worked!! I recommend them to everyone and even had my sister with them when she passed away. My heart is with this company and career.
Pros
it is so rewarding
Cons
If you are let go involuntary you are never rehirable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Hospice & Palliative Care. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7