Family Medicine Employee Reviews

A great place to work, learn and grow
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, CONovember 6, 2016
A typical day begins with rooming patients, taking vitals, collecting chief complaints and doing required test as needed by patients regarding their chronic conditions. Something new that I learned was to work with OB doctors. I learned how to correctly place fetal heart monitors, triage expecting mothers, follow up on post partum check ups, along with new baby care questions. Management took the time to get to know everyone on their staff. They have open one on one communication and always have the nurses best interest. I had the pleasure of working with wonderful co-workers including medical assistants, LPN's and Registered Nurses. The hardest part of the job is not being able to leave on time. The most enjoyable part of the job is the appreciation from the patients and doctors.
Pros
Yearly salary increases, nurse appreciation, community events.
Cons
Leaving late from the office.
somewhat productive
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 10, 2016
Learned a lot while working here about a lot of things and a lot of people. Most patients appreciate the help given to them by the staff.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no benefits
FMS is a fun work place in our Johnsburg, IL office.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Johnsburg, ILNovember 16, 2016
My job can be stressful during certain times of the year but I feel I work well when we are busy. I answer the phones, check insurance eligibility, fax medical records, liaison between patients and physicians, fax prescriptions, medical records, and whatever needs to be sent out,.

My co-workers are amazing and we have a really good team.

The hardest part is when a patient needs to be referred or needs a certain medication and the insurance companies deny he claims.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to listen to the patients and help them in any way I can. Some of our patients will only come when I'm there because I will follow up and anything they need me to do.

I've learned that I am a people person and they feel very comfortable with me.

Management is wonderful. I was a patient with FMS for over 45 years and working for them has been my dream.
Pros
Being among people I like, challenges when we have a not so nice patient. I go out of my way to be more pleasant with them.
Cons
There are none in the Johnsburg office.
Unique place of employment
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 4, 2016
Yes this job is in a fast paced environment. However, the employers are overly demanding, rude and inconsiderate. Everything seems to be your responsibility even when your not at fault or when the responsibility is not even yours to begin with. They will never admit their wrongs or meet in the middle but manipulate you into thinking your useless, you're worth dirt and you should be grateful for the treatment and type of respect you receive. Just about every situation has a double standard whether clerical, clinical or simply your are beneath them because you haven't reached their level of education.When convenient, they want to portray corporate rules and standards but when not they will justify their actions because they are a small business. This goes in regards to hazards for handling specimens, no working water fountain, cutting hours, etc.

They're not looking for a secretary or receptionist but more like a personal assistant. You are watched in a zoomed in camera at all times to time your eye contact, to time your length on the phone with a patient or pharmacy, and time how long you are out of your station even though you also handle the laboratory and back side of the office. Unfortunately the cameras are supposed to be used for security purposes but not in this place of employment.

You are expected to act and have knowledge of a RN. like attending after office hour messages, calling prescriptions in to pharmacy because they forgot to do it days ago or Follow up on symptoms after treatment.

Handling their bills. if the phone and internet goes out, call the provider
  more... even though you don't know the account information, if the lab company has an overdue bill, you have to review it for any errors and communicate with the billing dept. Lastly if they have payment issues with someone who provided a service, you somehow get involved or get insulted because they avoid contact.

Not only is the place always understaffed but the demands are unrealistic and they are expected to be done in an untimely manner. Avg of 10-15 secs for most tasks to be completed per person. Half of the demands waste your time because they are petty. Examples: highlighting a line to mark a different year when the date is next to the line, writing in capital letters or in pencil only, printing on scrap paper, refilling their paperclip bin, and keeping things in exact place, not one inch more to the left, right, up, down, or sideqays because it's "mechanical" and can cause confusion, etc.

No matter how efficient you are or how much you collaborate, nothing is ever satisfactory. Instead you get discouraging remarks on what you missed, get indirectly insulted, or you have to meet for 15 min. to go over why the task was not completed timely, why it was out of your hands, why you didn't repeat it, and even though the camera is on zoom and the schedule is on their computer, why you didnt remind them of the patients waiting for one hour. More often than not, you get reprimanded rudely in front patients. Finally, you have to listen to how they would've done it better when clearly they lack understanding of the dynamic of their own front desk.

Accidentally, while handling a phone call, the person on the other line remembered working there.she said She only lasted a week. One of the reasons was because she was not allowed to use the restroom during work hours but that's what lunch time is for.

Most important factors of all, if the employer has events or personal things to attend to that would cause the office to be closed, they will cut your hours for the day or Week unexpextedly. If you can come up with tasks other than catching up on your inbox because there's never ever enough time, then maybe the mysterious supervisor (who's never there and you will never meet but will affect your payheck at every turn) can override the unreasonable cutting of your hours. Let's not forget the other stuff like no working fountain for you or patients to drink water, the old microwave where the metal is peeling off on the inside where the food is placed, and the limited time use of the bathroom. Heavens forbid you have to release your fluids or have a bowel movement and the phone rings or they need you while your in the middle of it. If you seem to be enjoying your work like laughing with a patient or singing a song to yourself, they will make sure to kill that mood ASAP guaranteed. So all those other reviews about enjoying their time there is bogus. Before I worked there I was told that more than 10 people had gone through in less than a month. Only desperate people will last at the cost of their dignity and self esteem.
Pros
Interact with patients
Cons
No water, no benefits, unreasonable cut hours, disorganized, understaffed, double standards, over working, overly demanding, egocentric employers, etc
Referral Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 18, 2016
really enjoyed working there. hated to leave. paid well but do not give raises. give great bonuses, staff really get along well with the patients and each other.
Friendly coworkers
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work: Busy and challenging
What I learned: My employer is not loyal to their employee's.
Management: My manager is not loyal to the employee's.
My co-workers: Hard working and dedicated towards their patients.
The Hardest part of my job: Keeping a head of the phone triage and medication refills.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Rooming patients and building relationships with the patients.
Pros
Friendly patients
Cons
No break and long hours
An amazing place to work.
Assistant Administrator/Referral Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKSeptember 7, 2016
Family Medical Center is an enjoyable place to work. We have amazing patients along with an amazing staff. We start our day about 7:30 and may not finish until 5:00. Our staff gets along with everyone, it is like working for your family away from home. I think the hardest part of my job is when my referrals are taking some time to be schedule because most of the offices in Lawton are busy as well. The most enjoyable part of my job is I am able to help patients and I get to see their face light up when I have accomplished helping them.
Pros
Having lunch with the drug reps.
Cons
None that I can think of
very unorganized facility with very poor management
Lab manager/phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  3839 CR 218 Middleburg, FL 32068April 6, 2016
I loved my job and worked very very hard with approximately 30 min break out of a 10 -11 hour day. I enjoyed my patients very much and in return they loved me. I would do anything that was asked of me to help the medical facility to lesson the load for the other employees. I got along with the other employees and was always ready to help them with their work. I never was late or missed a day unless I was on vacation. I loved the blood and lab work so much that I was always researching different test and the anatomy of the body as well as different techniques that would make the blood specimens as accurate as they could be. I was always learning new things and felt like I could never learn enough. The down side is that the practice was so unorganized that it kept the entire staff walking on egg shells.me. I have been a business owner my entire life until I moved to Florida 6-1/2 years ago so I know how to manage a work place as well as employees. I had never experienced such poor management in my life. Our manager would chew us out in front of other employees as well as patients. My upper manager as well as my immediate manager never told us we did anything right but almost daily would correct us for something we had done wrong. I was accused of so many things that I did not even know about but they would not let you defend yourself. You had to just take the blame. In one year all the employees that had been there as long as 12 years either got fired or quit. We all got to where the pressure was so strong that we could not preform our jobs to the best of our ability in fear  more... of getting in trouble. One manager would tell us to do things one way and the other manager would tell us to do it another. It became unbearable. I had worked there 4-1/2 years and never got a raise. It had been 8 years since anyone got a raise.  less
Pros
Monthly bonuses, Free lunches and occasionally breakfast, Did not have to pay for Doctor appointments, very close to my home, all the employees got along and helped each other, great work hours Monday thru Friday with paid holidays as well as 3 weeks vacation a year
Cons
Poor management, low pay
Great doctor to work for
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXNovember 9, 2015
a typical work day is starting your morning off getting the papers from the fax machine, and pulling the charts to go with the papers from the fax. Then when patients start coming in you call the patients back and get their vitals and things and then room the patients. Then the doctor tells you if she wants any kind of test done and if she does then you go get the test done on that patient. Then you do that all day until closing then you go and round up the trash and clean the rooms.
Pros
great doctor, great staff
Cons
no benefits
EMergency Medical Technician
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJuly 22, 2016
Vital signs and patient lab test results, assist in minor surgeries, prepare and submit administrative reports and provide training to junior staff meetings. I've learned self-aid buddy care and first responder care. I work first hand with Diabetic patients and Acupuncture. The hardest part of my job is getting to the know my patients. I always tend to get close with patient just to eventually deploy or move to another location for the military. The part I enjoy most of my job is helping my patients and learning new information from my doctor.
Pros
Helping patients
Cons
short lunches
Doctor and Wife clinic great place to work at
medical receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winter HavenSeptember 14, 2015
start work by opening clinic this is where the medical training came in, manager trained me to work up a patient do vitals check insurance doctor showed me what questions to ask help with minor surgeries clinic growing fast soon came in co workers some left some stayed which clinic became family to us, hardest part of job was moving on after working with them for ten years doctor stated he was going to retired but didn't state when so I moved on but if he came out of retirement I would work for him all over again.
Pros
no charge for my self or families to see the doctor
Cons
no benefits
busy work place
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 3, 2016
A typical day busy exciting fun, learned to be flexible, management to be fair and professional, team players, not being a team player, when we are working together as a whole.
Pros
lunch
Cons
breaks
Family Practice Clinic
Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSJuly 25, 2016
Very busy medical clinic with 2 MD's, and a Nurse Prac. Usual day included 80+ patients, urgent walk-ins. Great co-workers but management was spread out among 2 clinics and hospital which was sometimes vague and confusing. Overall great place.
unprofessional and lazy
Patient Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYOctober 27, 2016
It was always busy
I learned how to do Prior authorizations for insurances as well as verify insurances
My coworkers were amazing to with. It was always team work with us all.
The hardest part was taking the disrespect from the doctor and the patients for situations you have no control over
good place to learn
Medical Assistant - Extern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 9, 2015
Getting to know all that falls in the medical office
Front office- call back, preparing the patients rooms for examination, triage, vital signs, supply ordering, filing, stocking, privacy/hippa laws, medical terminology, medication adiminstration, patient support.
Back office- vienipunture, injections, urine tests, pregnacany testing.
Management- very helpful with giving information, teaching skills was good.
Co- worker- helpful, work well with students, fun day of work
Hardest part- earning the patients trust, being a new face in the office
The enjoyable part - was learning a typical day in the healthcare office and how important my job would be.
Pros
When a represenative comes with a new product and free lunch
Cons
long breaks, time to talk care of personal things on your break.
Productive and friendly environment
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKMay 31, 2016
Working at the clinic was a positive experience and enjoyable work enviorment. All employees were encouraged to be pleasant to eachother and patients. As a staff, we were always busy but stayed on top of tasks that needed to be done for the day. I admired how flexible they were when it came to upcoming appointments and events. Senior staff were very patient when it came to me learning how to check patients in and out and also accepting copays.
Pros
Flexible schedule, positive work enviroment
Cons
Limited ability to move up
Positive fun motivated company
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 26, 2016
During my time there I learned and gained a lot of hands on training under the instruction of the doctor. It motivated me to further my education int he medical field.
I enjoy family practice
Medical Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVOctober 23, 2016
Family practice is an ideal position due to having a variety of people of different age groups, the hardest part of the job is becoming attached to the patients.
Happy to make feel better.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, GAApril 29, 2016
Meeting patients checking their vitals and make sure their visit is as comfortable as possible. I learned how important to take care of your body. The management team is awesome they all play a very important role and excellent teamwork. The hardest part of the job was getting attach to the patients. The most enjoyable part of the job was able help a sick person well again.
Just a great place to work
CLERK (Current Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NC 28547November 22, 2016
Every day was a different experience, I felt that I learned something new ever day and in my eyes that meant that I was growing. The fact that I helped people was very rewarding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.