Family and Children's Association Employee Reviews

Great place work
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYJune 7, 2016
Great opportunity to work with clients and learn how to better assist with their needs. Variety of programs working with all populations and age groups including Outpatient Drug and Alcohol, PINs Diversion and Residential Group Homes.
My co-workers are fantastic as well as my supervisor.
I enjoy being able to help my community.
Pros
Excellent benefits and benefit leave time
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYAugust 15, 2016
Family and Children's was an enjoyable experience. As an intern, I was fortunate to work with staff members who have a vast amount of experience.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Great clients, coworkers but unmanageable work expectations in HCBS Waiver (ICC)
ICC (Former Employee) –  Garden CityOctober 7, 2014
Good experience to develop positive relationships with clients and their families and assist them in improving their relationships and lives. However there is a clicky culture amongst the supervisors and employees, little to no room for promotion and the workload is absolutely unacceptable, unfair and unbearable to manage as an ICC. Staffs suggestions and concerns go unaknowledged, leading to low morale and no recognition. The workload is very stressful beyond typical social work stressful. HR is a joke as well.
Pros
wonderful clients/families, some nice coworkers.
Cons
low morale, no encouragement recognition or room for promotion in hcbs due to cliques. negative work environment, nonstop complaining from all the icc's
Research the Organization thoroughly before applying here.
worker (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYJanuary 7, 2016
People with very good credentials are immediately treated as suspicious in making recommendations. They are not looking to truly improve the working environment even though they will tell you that on the interview. Salaries are very low as is the moral.
Cons
Healthcare is not acceptable, waste of time if looking to work with this company.
Agency itself is good...programs need to be re-evaluated
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYFebruary 26, 2013
The agency has several good programs and great intentions. BUT if you have problems with upper management in a program do not bother going to HR because nothing changes. The problems continue and at times gets worse. Employee handbook is "edited" when needed. If you are called for an interview, ask youself... Is this the person I want to work for? Is this who I want to deal with everyday? Everything changes once you are hired! Although the job market is rough and money might be tight...keep looking.

Hardest Part of the Job: Aside from dealing with program director and assistant director, home visits, high number of cases, unrealistic expectiatoins, and lack of office space.

Most enjoyable part of job: working with the families, seeing changes within the family, and co-workers

Not all program directors are the same.
Pros
location, "trying" to make a change, agency benefits
Cons
upper management has no respect for staff, salary, inconsistency, high employee turn over
Worked hard with little recognition by agency; however, clients liked me. They kept me coming back.
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Nassau CountyMarch 22, 2013
This agency has poor supervision of its workers. You practically have to lead yourself. Management does not respond to your complaints or support your work. They just want it done.

Workers are overwhelmed, angry and frustrated, as their is little leadership and low salaries, compared to other agencies in NY. One of the reviewers stated not to go to HR. They are right. Nothing is resolved.

There is tremendous staff turn-over, and the talented people leave because their ideas are ignored.

Managers stay for 20-30 years and new ideas are not introduced. Old ways of managing are crippling the agency. Modern ways to do things need to be added.

I loved working with the clients, as I felt that i made a difference. iIfelt the most warmth and respect there.

They have a really nice Employee Luncheon every year for everyone. The food is great!
Pros
some nice co-workers; good vacation/ benefits package; love the clients
Cons
low salaries, weak managers, lack of communication, no resolution of problems, little supervisory support.
Productive workplace with many committed employees
Individualized Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, New YorkFebruary 20, 2012
Very pleasant working environment with a committed approach to families from a strength based perspective. I have enjoyed having the ability to truly help my families through empowering versus enabling, allowing a level of self sufficiency, However additional areas of advancement would be greatly advised for dedicated employees.
Pros
flexible work schedule at times
Cons
expensive health care, and heavy work load, with no overtime benefits
Great Organization
Respite Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 24, 2015
As a Respite Worker for Family and Children's Association, I was required to pick student up from their homes and take them out into the community to show them what resources are available to them. I helped them with problem solving/conflict management, and facilitated group activities and interactions among clients. I learned a lot from my supervisor and a lot about mood disorders as well as other mental health issues. The hardest part of the job was watching clients struggle. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make a difference in the life of children.
Pros
good work environment, good clients
Cons
traveling, difficult cases
FCA rocks
Community Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Uniondale, NYApril 12, 2015
My supervisor is amazing. She is very compassionate and fair. This is the internal culture of the company. FCA offers full disclosure with any and all changes internally. If I wasn't leaving the state, I would stay.
Pros
Flex schedule and compassionate supervisors
Cons
pay isn't the greatest
High turn over
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYJanuary 2, 2014
Nice local agency. Good agency to start your social work career but depending on what program you work in beware. Morale is very low and turn over is very high. Previous review stated not to trust HR and that is correct. Confidentiality does not apply to HR. High turn over is partial due to worker burn out as well as not being supported by director and assistant director. Being "thrown under the bus" is a common thing.
The agencies mission is great and the families although difficult at times, are great as well.
Just be prepared for the hypocrisy.
Pros
benefit, pto, families, family ties program
Cons
admin, hr, very low moral, budget
Fun place to work
Senior Respite Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYDecember 5, 2013
Good place to work as a student or long term. Management was caring and coworkers were nice. Great for advancement.
Low morale, no confidentiality with staff, get experience and leave!
Counselor (Former Employee) –  West Hempsted, WlmpntMarch 17, 2014
Beware of management at this agency. The HR department does not handle situations correctly. If you are having issues with management, do not go to HR. The problem will get worse. This agency has a lot of good programs, but lack morality.
Pros
great concept to help people
Cons
low morale, no ethics, no values, no breaks, low pay, management does not care about the staff/clients, its not what you know, its who you know
basement offices
Family Mediator (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYJune 2, 2014
Culture of complaints, limited opportunities if not bilingual
Advantageous
Community and school liaison (Former Employee) –  Nassau CountyDecember 4, 2012
I have learned a lot in whichever position I have held. Family and Children's assisted my development of myriad skills.
Meeting the clients, letting them know they were not going to be judged, but helped, was the best part of each I had while at Family and Children's Association.
Pros
different venues in which clients could be reached; staff
Cons
con was when employment ended due to cost.
Productive and sincere company.
Registered Nurse at Lakeview House Program (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2014
The company is vibrant, productive and sincere to their clients. The RN's position is a very independent supervisory position that entails collaborative work with multi disciplinary staff and medical professionals. On call 24/7.
enjoyable youth client population
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYAugust 21, 2012
enjoyable youth client population, really felt that I was making an impact
Pros
kids warmed my heart, i made a difference, very satisfying
Cons
coworkers underqualified, pay horrible
Good environment
Social Work Counselor (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYMarch 13, 2014
I enjoy working for FCA. I find the environment to be great. Employees and Supervisors are helpful and always willing to help.

2.9