Famous Footwear Employee Reviews in United States

Dog Eat Dog World
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 16, 2016
A typical day is me coming to work about 10 minutes early. Once I punch in, even if there are managers, it is up to me to make sure that or customer loyalty is up to percentage in need to be and that accessories are above they goal. Not just for me, for everyone in the store. There is no commission, so the only thing that you need to make sure is that you have your loyalty percentage about the monthly goal and your accessories. Managers will steal your sales if they include accessories. They will even do it in your face because they are the bosses. They even treat there own horribly. No enough compensation for overload of work. Management has thrown people under the rug to save there jobs. There is also a manager that works fewer hours than the associates. Sometimes we get only 20 hours a week and that manager has 17.
Pros
Flexible with Days off
Cons
Short Breaks, Cruel Atmopshere, Petty Management, Passive Aggressive Store Manager, Pay is low
Easy and good experience - no opportunity to move up
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 30, 2015
The job itself is easy and laid back. The company has become more fashion forward and offers a lot of styles and money-saving options for customers and employees alike. It's an enjoyable job, overall. However, if the management in your store and above you doesn't care for you, you have no opportunity to advance, even when you exceed all expectations. There's a lot of favoritism and not enough recognition for the good job done. Store managers have almost no say in promotion, and district management is usually rude and refuses to get to know their staff.
Pros
Employee discount, easy work, not overly stressful
Cons
Short shifts, not many hours to give, management
Good company, horrible turnover rate and inexperienced district manager.
Assistant Manager/Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Great company but unfortunately the turnover rate is unmeasureable and the direction and experience of the district manager, at least the one I had, was a joke. The day to day operations was very revolving and repetitive. Employee discount guidelines are overly strict and the company's main focus on shrink reduction over whelms the quality of customer service.
Pros
Product quality, customer base.
Cons
District management, turnover rate, over focus on shrink, lack of quality customer service.
Productive and a ton of customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, ILFebruary 26, 2016
Greet customers, allow them to look around, come around and engage in conversation with them, assist them with finding things, make suggestions and give professional compliments ("That is a good color" or "You have good taste"), walk them over to the register and proceed to ring them up, offer our rewards card, explain the benefits of being a rewards member, and completing the transaction, bag their items, and wish them well as they leave the store. And continue to do just that with each and every customer who walks in the store.
Produtive place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 22, 2015
Provided me with my first management opportunity. This gave me skill to increase my confidence too look for other opportunity. I work with small staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers
Pros
lot of on the job traing
Cons
work long hours little pay
Team Oriented Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MAJanuary 28, 2016
Often work together to achieve goals set by the company. Learned numerous people skills working in a retail setting. Management is very helpful and attempt to guide employees in the right direction to advance in the company. Co-workers are friendly and outgoing. Most difficult part of the job is working with flustered or frustrated customers. Most enjoyable aspect of the job is achieving goals set by yourself and by the company.
Good for the time being
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 7, 2015
The upper management of this company is not commendable. They treat employees as chess piece, it doesn't seem as if they truly care for you. However, on a more personal, store level, this job was decent.
Pros
family like work environment
Cons
long hours, never enough staff, and high theft
Great Advancement
FT Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dawsonville, GeorgiaAugust 15, 2015
This job is great, as well as the manager. The company has been around for a very long time, but is always looking for new ways to market themselves and appeal to every generation. The product is solid and great quality. There is room for advancement, both to other locations in management, as well as traveling district management. The pay and compensation is great.
Great Company to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Crystal, MNFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day is comprised of assisting customers and moving our received shipment out to the floor. As a part of the management team, I would say that it is easy to communicate with management because each store has a relatively small team. I would say that the hardest part of the job is learning about all of the shoes that we carry in the store.
Gives you the ability to grow and learn new skills.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pooler, GAApril 2, 2016
I've learned how to manage, provide service to customers, product knowledge, how to handle high stress situations. Great co-workers and management. Most enjoyable part of the job is when customers are happy and have had a great experience.

Want to know more about Famous Footwear?

Ask a question
interesting and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Limerick, PAMarch 15, 2016
While working at Famous Footwear I learned to balance working and school life. I acquired skills in theft deterrence, customer service, store upkeep, connecting to people, and understanding of store management.
Pros
efficent training
Cons
Black Friday hours
productive
cashier (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 7, 2016
I liked the work I did because I got to help customers in what they needed to be helped with .but I didn't like my management because I had a major car accident and do to that they refused to hold my position even tho I had medical leave
Easy< quite< and simple
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 4, 2016
Typical day at work was fun and fast

I learned to take care of customers and help them in what they wanted and what they needed

Management was cool, fun person to talk to and work with

Hardest part of the job was not being able to help a customer
Good place for a summer job
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 29, 2016
Best place to begin a high school job. Flexible hours, competitive pay, friendly coworkers and good skills training. You must be confident in taking charge and being a leader.
on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week and loving it!!!
Store manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 7, 2015
A typical day would be opening the store, planning the day and adjusting for last minute issues.

Merchandising to sell better. Ensuring the daily paperwork and deposits. Then training any new team members and learning more Spanish and Russian to be able to communicate.

Recruiting store managers from other companies and doing training seminars.

The hardest part was the red tape we had to get through.

The best parts was the fun we all had as we worked very hard together. Cold call recruiting staff and managers. I loved being able to get people better quality of life as well as more money and benefits.
Pros
merchandising and fun with my team, being able to up the overall pay rate for team members
Cons
the lack of concern for the sales associates making the money that makes the company
Overall review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 3, 2016
The work environment was comfortable. I learned some basic sales skills. Management was nice & professional. My co workers where respectful & knowledgeable. There was nothing that was hard about the job it was simple & easy.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
non
productive plave to work at
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJune 6, 2016
A typical day at work was helping customers out and helping them pick what fits them the most. I learned how to work with angry customers and giving them what they want. My co workers were friendly and fun people to work with. The management was great, friendly and professional.There wasn't any thing hard about this job and the most enjoyable part of it was seeing the customers happy or little kids coming to our store and picking something they like out and seeing them happy leaving the store with it.
shoes, shoes, and more shoes
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 6, 2016
My time at Famous footwear started as an Assistant Manager, my job responsibilities consisted of sales, loss prevention, store visual standards, receiving and processing large shipments of footwear, daily paperwork and statistics, boosting and maintaining employee morale, taking advantage of any and all training opportunities, maintaining customer retention, opening and closing store procedures including cash register set up and shut down, accurate safe count and bank deposits. I rapidly advanced in the company and soon became a store manager, in this position I basically had all the same responsibilities but now I had to answer directly to the district manager with any and all issues, I had to participate and follow through with conference calls, manager meetings, scheduling, staffing, disciplinary actions, particular decision making and calls to corporate. I really loved this position as Store Manager.
Fun environment to work in.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJSeptember 27, 2015
work and management was great. I enjoyed working with everyone. We had a good system going. of course, we worked on our sales among other numbers we had to work on. But we showed that work can be productive and fun.
Pros
Working with the staff
Cons
no healthcare, no other benefits
New Experience
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJanuary 13, 2016
I was thankful for the opportunity to work for Famous Footwear right our of college. I was given the chance to learn. My co-workers were great. I loved the fast pace during the holidays. Hardest part was getting used to standing. Management was easy to work with. They treated you like you were one of the family.