Farmers Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Found 1,966 reviews matching the search
Okay to work for, mostly if you are male
N/A (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 14, 2016
I have worked for the company for years with only being able to advance a few times, not for lack of bad reviews or lack of trying.

Work life balance is always difficult, you are expected to do much more than time allows for. I have personally not had support, ever from my direct supervisor.

Training is great, systems work most of the time. Health insurance is expensive with huge deductible, we get it cheaper through my spouse's company, which is much smaller. Retirement is matched pretty high and flexible schedules are a bonus.

Advancement and higher starting salary is primarily given to male candidates.
Pros
Retirement, coworkers
Cons
Upper management has no idea what happens on ground level
Great working Environment
Costumer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 28, 2016
Working for Farmers Insurance was a great experience. I learned there is more to just auto and home insurance, and how much work it takes to get a reasonable rate for each person.

I learned to take care of billing, get documents from clients the were missing, update mortgagee, update additional lienholders, and update certificates, and anything else needed by any other employee.

My co-workers were great, they had a positive attitude and never had a problem helping me figure out a problem.

In the beginning it was hard because it was a new field for me but after time I was able to balance everything out and it started to become easy.

The most enjoyable time was when I started to get to know the clients and we would have a great conversation over the phone before we hung up.
Pros
Joking around, some free lunches, and having the bosses 2 year old on Friday's.
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Some people may like it here, but I'm not one of them
Service Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Caledonia, MINovember 29, 2016
The pay and benefits are decent, but they're focus is on the length of the call, not whether or not you've solved a problem. Your calls are monitored and you're expected to be able to get the customer off of the phone very quickly. They don't care if you've solved their issue. If you can't solve it in 3 min, transfer the call. This just upsets the customers. It's a frustrating environment that rewards employees for the wrong things. All of your breaks/lunch is accounted for down to the second. And sitting for long periods of time can be difficult to get use to. Oh, and they go through your desk on a regular basis. All of your stuff. But, they don't drug test, so there's always that...
Farmers Insurance
Senior Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJuly 21, 2016
I was on phones all day talking mostly to agents-sometimes to the insureds and making changes to policies or discussing eligibility. I learned a lot about insurance but there was always more to learn and they frequently changed products, so you had to learn all over again about the new product. I enjoyed management for the most part-they were helpful till this last supervisor I had who was negative frequently and didn't give positive feedback. Hardest part of job was getting questions you never had before even though you've been on the job 8 years. Hard to find answers using their search engine. Helping agents find correct answers to their questions and educating them on how to find the answers themselves was the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Covered parking, fair pay and benefits
Cons
No positive feedback from supervisor
Friendly, supportive staff
Independent Producer/Agent (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 25, 2016
The district office is where I am currently working on getting trained to be an independent producer. The office is full of friendly dedicated and hard working people. Some learning how to be a high quality agent and owner of their own business/agency. The others are the staff whose position there to assist you on your path. There is a positive atmosphere, coupled with humor as well as professionalism.
Pros
The district office and Farmers is all about rewarding hard work and acheivements
Cons
Salary is totally a 1099, long training process, no health insurance until you can afford to buy it
Good Compensation, Terrible Training
Senior Policy Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHOctober 18, 2016
My overall expierence is not bad but the initial training and continued training was unorganized, and very thrown together at the last minute, as well as lacking in follow through as well. Company seems unorganized altogether. Culture of the company is portrayed as employee focused and all about work life balance but this is not the case.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Training, Outlook for the Company
Good company culture with excellent benefits/compensation and many opportunities for growth
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 13, 2016
Farmers Insurance is a desirable and competitive company to work for. The culture is good due to a very proactive approach to diversity/inclusion and much effort around employee engagement. The benefits and compensation are better than other large insurers in the area. There is a home office in the Los Angeles area, which is a large campus with many different departments/functions. This creates a large employee network with many opportunities for advancement and career development.
Ok
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodbrindge njNovember 2, 2016
I was not satisfied with the manager of farmers insurance . The agent that I worked for was emotionally unstable . THAT person was mean ,attitude was horrible and let there personal life effect there work life .
Pros
The other people that iworked arounf whwre nice
Cons
No benefits, horribke pay, dirty work environment not compensated for over working . Commission was a dollar a quote, and my manager never closed deals .
Stable, secure with good culture.
Customer Service Associate, Auto Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 30, 2016
Great company culture! I worked in call-center taking claims. Co-workers fun and supportive of each other. Hardest part of job was difficult customers.
Pros
Good pay, training, benefits, job security and company culture.
Cons
Having to work with typical call-center issues, such as adherence, glass ceiling for career advancement.
Large company, too much politics
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Caledonia, MIMay 16, 2016
Farmers offers decent pay and benefits, especially for recent college grads. However, it is a large corporate culture for better or worse. Too many executives whose primary objective seems to be justifying their salaries. Advancement is based more on political skill than any understanding of the insurance business much less any decision making ability. What's worse is most managers are constantly looking over their shoulders due to non-stop right sizing. This trickles down and causes a very negative office atmosphere. The unwritten rule is "he who names the problem is the problem". Most employees do their best just to keep their heads down and avoid being noticed.
I love my customers and helping them understand insurance
Account Manager/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 16, 2016
A typical day at work is taking customer phone calls and updating records or quoting new business.

The hardest part of the job is balancing new rate increases with our good product when everyone's dollar is being stretched.

The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my customers who always make me smile and even when they are having a bad day we are able to make it better just by the fact that they know I care about them as a person.
Pros
Can be a good environment for growing and learning
Cons
Rate increases, no benefits
They could be areally good company to work for but there needs to be more attention, more compensation and better benefits given to the agents.
Agent (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALAugust 23, 2016
A typical day at work for me is managing the office going out a visiting new and existing businesses getting to know them and letting them know that we are here if we could be of service them. I really love helping customers figure out the best way to cover their assets and making sure that they can reasonably afford to keep the policies.
Pros
They do believe in rewarding you for a great job.
Cons
The support and compensation is not good at all.
Typical corporate America job
Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Caledonia, MIOctober 30, 2016
Some good days, some bad days. Not ideal working schedule for person with children/family; unless you are higher management. Great start to career, allows for young adults to build their resume. Benefits are not the best, health insurance isn't anything to brag about these days any how.
Policy checker, coder and specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, IllinoisSeptember 18, 2016
Spent 28 years with the company. Great coworkers and good management. Good benefits which included a generous profit sharing program.
Pros
Good medical insurance, owner owned credit union
Cons
Not much advancement opportunities
Such an educational and fun work place.
Farmers Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Hemet, CASeptember 15, 2016
Working for Farmers Insurance Group has by far been my most influencial job I have had. I was extremely lucky to have such an amazing opportunity avalible to myself. I currently am employed with Farmers Insurance Group and i find myself learning new things every single day in the work place.
Pros
Commison based salary.
Cons
Flexible work hours
Great place to work, they are a second family
Commercial Senior Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 13, 2016
Farmers works as a Team based company. They offer excellent benefits and a second family to all employees. Work / Life balance is fully supported. Farmers typical day is to support their agents and their customers.
Pros
401k, profit sharing and family oriented
Cons
Currently consolidating service centers and elimenating jobs
Nice place to work
Service Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Caledonia, MISeptember 7, 2016
Love my job and I would like Ike to continue in the company but advancing has been kind of challenging. Good pay and benefits and opportunities to relocqte
Pros
Good pay gym on site nice people to work with
Cons
Hard to get advancement
Good people to work with
Licensed Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJune 23, 2016
Working there overall was a good experience but with my hours changing as to when I needed to be there and how many I would get in a week made it more difficult. My day mostly consisted of making cold calls for 2 different agents and trying to set appointments. I did enjoy the people I worked with and made one good friend.
Pros
Free continuing education credits to renew my license, friendly people
Cons
No benefits, no paid vacation time, only worked part-time
Pretty stressful environment without any way to advance without bachelors degree
COD Claims Expeditor (licensed) (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 6, 2016
I loved being able to help people and I had a great bunch of people to work with. However, the benefits were not good, the pay was not near what someone in my position should have been paid, and there were no opportunities for advancement without a bachelors degree.
If you like being micro-managed...this is the place for you!!!
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 11, 2016
I worked for Farmers for over 15 years. The first few years were great. However, after a while, you get to be too expensive and therefore become expendable. Also, they don't like it if you have an opinion, especially if it differs from their vision. They will do whatever it takes to silence the problem. The only plus of this place are the benefits and vacation time, both of which were fantastic. However, that doesn't really outweigh the incompetence of management and their desire to peer over your shoulder the entire time.
Pros
Nice cafeteria and gym. Great benefits/vacation time.
Cons
They want "Yes" men/women and not free-thinkers, Micro-manage, Poor work/life balance, Claims management is a joke