Farmers Insurance Group

Farmers Insurance Group Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,759 reviews matching the search
If you like being micro-managed...this is the place for you!!!
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 11, 2016
I worked for Farmers for over 15 years. The first few years were great. However, after a while, you get to be too expensive and therefore become expendable. Also, they don't like it if you have an opinion, especially if it differs from their vision. They will do whatever it takes to silence the problem. The only plus of this place are the benefits and vacation time, both of which were fantastic. However, that doesn't really outweigh the incompetence of management and their desire to peer over your shoulder the entire time.
Pros
Nice cafeteria and gym. Great benefits/vacation time.
Cons
They want "Yes" men/women and not free-thinkers, Micro-manage, Poor work/life balance, Claims management is a joke
Good Place To Work
Senior Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 26, 2016
My experience with Farmers Insurance Group was good, like any company there are great employees, management, and co-workers and those who make your work life interested. My experience was very good; however, I feel that employee support could be better as some employees have been let go by the company due to a mistake or error in judgement. I worked at their service center on Grand Avenue and I-35 so I was on the phone calling to people all day.
Pros
Structures System and clear goals
Cons
Insane standards of excellence to get a meets for a yearly raise
Horrible work environment
Senior Property Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 16, 2016
I worked for Farmers in the claims department for 8 years. At first the culture was great. We were a big family who were proud of where we worked. In year 2 they started cutting benefits and it all started going down hill. Constant audits lead to everyone being written up for even minor errors as work loads soared. Management started ruling by the fear of punishment. Most all the good people have quit. The others feel trapped and hate their jobs. Do yourself a favor and look else where for employment.
Pros
Ok place to start your career
Cons
Toxic work environment
Not a happy environment.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Caledonia, MIMarch 8, 2016
Company restructured and moved all licensed agents from sales department to customer service call center. Lost our commission and weekends off. If you were a senior agent, you took the hardest hit. Regular agents got a salary raise while more experienced did not. Then shortly after starting CSR position, training began for sales (which we had already been doing previously) but the sales would no longer bring any commissions. Many left after the restructure. I tried to hold on but the experience took a toll on my health since I no longer had weekends off which allowed me no time to decompress. Callers were rude and it was not at all enjoyable. Felt like I was flying by the seat of my pants. Training was mostly useless. They need more organization and better thought out long term plans. You don't hire people then 4 months later eliminate their department and tell them they should be grateful to still have a job even though the new job will pay as much in the hours will be worse in the work will be more difficult.
Cons
1/2 hr lunch. No weekends off. Very strict schedules. Unappreciative management.
Great Job over all
CUSTOMER ADVOCATE (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 25, 2016
The change in management caused a change in the job. This was a very good job with the exception of the micro management at the end of my time there. I am grateful for the time I had there and we only parted ways due to the change in the company structure. At the beginning it was just billing breakdowns and policy details where at the end I was an actual licensed agent doing everything except for writing new business for our auto and home product. The job offered great benefits and bonuses every year they attempted to make the environment fun but weren't able to pull it off. The hardest part of the job was not being treated as an adult or being respected. The best part of the job was being able to talk an angry customer down and helping them understand all of their options not just the option of trying another company. It didn't always work but when it did I walked away knowing that I was in the right space at the absolute correct/right time.
Pros
Health Care, Stip Bonus and vendors that come and serve daily.
Cons
Micro management and having to work every weekend.
Great people, good company
Field Liability Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 10, 2015
Farmers is all about having their people constantly learn about the insurance industry, which is rewarded once criteria are met. Everyone is willing to help someone out, even the newbs. The insurance industry just wasn't for me. Being yelled at and cussed out by claimants and farmers insureds was ridiculous, plus arguing with attorneys and their reps is just draining. Claims reps are salary, so a lot of hours for mediocre pay and high stress. The training was like 10 weeks and 2 of those are spent in LA, which didn't seem necessary. I dreaded every day wondering what i was going to have to deal with..it actually started affecting my personal life.
Pros
great management, advancement potential, team work
Cons
pay, stress, training, expensive/low quality healthcare options
Productive place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJanuary 26, 2016
My job duties vary day to day, there is always something to do and learn, and someone to assist. My co-workers are amazing we are a great team. The hardest part of my job is there is only one of me and 30 people who might need my help in a day, and I like to accommodate all when I can. The most enjoyable part of my job is always learning new things. The management team is great.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Healthcare is very expensive and the salary is not competitive
high work load for less pay
Claims Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 2, 2016
typical day is very draining, I have learned that you must know people to move up in the company. Management likes to set goals that are unable to be accomplished so no raised can be given out. Co-workers are great and friendly. Hardest part of the job is trying not to worry and bring your work home.
The Contact Center is HADES on earth
Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Columbus OhioOctober 18, 2015
They look at numbers only. They want you to answer the phone. They could care less about the quality of the call. Hold times are ridiculous simply because they will not hire enough people. For the knowledge one needs to know, the salary is insulting. Management is invisible. They pile everything on their leads, who really aren't leads. The current "person in charge" comes from the Verizon Call Center. How do cell phones and life insurance remotely even begin to sound the same as far as success? They don't. If you are in Ohio, don't expect to advance to anything but a higher troll in the Contact Center. The agents aren't happy. The customers aren't happy. It's a very unhappy environment and as with most companies today, nobody is listening and nobody cares.The company is well on it's way to crashing and burning.
Cons
Slavery atmosphere, Pay, Management, Room for advancement
fun place to work
Customer Service Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXDecember 20, 2015
fast paced, great employees, customer service training great, training is long, co workers work well together, sometimes had to handle more tables than expected, long hours, and sometimes worked during holidays with no request offs
Pros
discounted meals for employees and up to 7 friends and family, benefits, able to request off, worked with schedule, great food
Cons
short breaks, long hours, no breaks at times, poor customer service
Productive, friendly work enviroment with first hand learning!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 16, 2015
A typical day was productive, friendly and a team oriented workplace. My favorite part of my day was when clients came in because they had questions and left the office happy because I resolved there questions. I would say the hardest party of that job was when we ran into a issue with a client, the process of getting it taken care of. The management was supportive and helpful, and I learned a lot in just two months.
Pros
Non stop learning, buildng relationships with the clients and co- workers
Cons
No Benifits
Productive workplace
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Victoria, TXFebruary 11, 2016
This position has given me the knowledge of how insurance works and the satisfaction of passing that on. Owner is a great man, very supportive and a wonderful teacher. The hardest part of this job is the ups and downs of business as the economy changes.
Pros
Salary pay
Cons
No room for advancement
A great opportunity for a Catholic Knight
General Agent (Former Employee) –  NMNovember 1, 2015
Helping people to save money and plan for the future is very rewarding. Hardest part of job was that my average customer lived 123 miles from my house in the fifth largest state, so required constant and tedious traveling. Only to be stood up after renting a hotel. The manager was unwilling to replace far-flung and non-productive areas of service upon employee termination/matriculation. There is, presently, still not service at the farthest reaches of my former territory. The General Agent's son is treated with the easiest opportunities to succeed.
Pros
A pre-determined list of leads and prospects to call upon
Cons
No benefits, 1099 employee, 60000 miles travel per year
Good atmosphere and good chance of advancement
Contact Manager (Current Employee) –  Granada Hills, CADecember 14, 2015
The ideology of Farmer's is very good for the customers they serve and for the employees. The job requirements are that of a typical insurance company, needing to recruit new clients, but Farmer's believes in being a personal assistant to the client, giving a family feel to the business.
Pros
Possibility of advancement, flexible work schedule
Cons
Salary
Patient and fast pace, a challenge job for myself
Insurance Agent Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cupertino, CAFebruary 3, 2016
I learned how to treat different kinds of customers during this job. Some of customers will come to our office with a very bad mood, because of they just got into an accident. We have to know how to calm the customers, and give them a professional attitude in order to solve the problem perfectly.
A lot of documentations! People get insurance with an contract, one of our duty is to make sure all the documentations are clearly and completely. Even though most of file are e-file and save in system, we still have to check everything frequently in order to make sure nothing lost. Look everything in detail. Sometimes, a little change on a customer's status, will occur a lot of questions eventually, so we need to be very careful for every single detail.
Be patient and fast pace are very important on this job. Sometimes, we have to wait for a representative call for an hour just for an simple request. I have to be patient to those long-wait calls, I also need the fast pace mind to finish lots of documentations during my working hours.
Working as an agent assistant can learn a lot of experiences form agent and customers. I can experience different situations, and learn how to take care different kinds of problem from this job.
Pros
Flexible woking schedual
Cons
no benefits
Insurance sales
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIFebruary 23, 2016
Work Hard Play Hard type job.

Worked very hard to keep my salary the way i wanted and it all paid off as Farmers pays for your hard work.
Pros
High Pay
Cons
High Cost
Great learning environment
Sales/ Client management/ Systems maintenance (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 22, 2016
Farmers taught me a lot about the business world I know today. I would suggest becoming a Farmers agent to any self motivated young man/woman.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Lead generation
Csr
CSR (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COFebruary 8, 2016
Loved my job, answering phones, helping clients understand their policy and building relationships with them . Making sure we have happy customers and always being positive helps .
Pros
love customer service
Cons
no benefits, because I worked for a independant agent.
Small friendly agency;great first introduction to Insurance
Customer Service Representative and Producer (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WANovember 6, 2015
Nice professional friendly workplace. Learned how Customer Service pertains to Insurance. Enjoyed being trained to "Produce" as well. I only wish I had more consistent training as it was stressful to be left alone with tasks that I was not yet trained in, I enjoyed working with clients the best.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits
Great benefits!
Claims Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 4, 2016
Good money, people are fun to be around, and benefits are very awesome! We have a gym and cafeteria and lots of volunteer opportunities!