Farmers Insurance Group

Farmers Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Found 2,134 reviews matching the search
A great place to learn
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 27, 2017
It was a great place to work, great opportunity for advancement and even to start your own business. It was a great experience to be able to manage a group of 4 employees. It was a lot of responsibility but great place to begin since its a small business. Being a small business, we all got along and it was a fun place to work at. The hardest part was the sales part since there is so much competition out there, but with a good team it was accomplished.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
Healthcare
Nice place to start
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 21, 2017
Good place to work, just took claims all day.
Learned customer service skills and how insurance operates.
Management was fine, lots of performance evaluations; almost too many.
Hardest part of the job was knowing what you were able to tell customers and what you were not. (Insurance coverage differed person to person.)
The most enjoyable part of the job was the benefits and holiday pay.
Pros
Coworkers were great, Pay Raises
Cons
Very micromanaged
Insurance Agent
Independent Agent (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 13, 2017
Acquired Property and Casualty license to sell personal lines insurance.
Learned how to formally communicate with staff as well as clients. Managed a well structured business plan to promote, market, and sell insurance.
Producing insurance was just as important as customer service.
This job provided me with invaluable experience that will help me build my future and reach my goals.
Pros
Autonomy, Knowledge, Experience
Cons
Structure, Inconsistent pay
Wonderful company to work for
Agent/Owner (Former Employee) –  Princeton, ILMarch 20, 2017
You can learn so much and do so well with this company.

The people that train you are great and they want you to succeed, so they will help you any way they can.
If you work hard it will pay off in the long run.
There are a lot of awards you can get if you stay focused and concentrate on your goals.

You are not overly stressed that you go crazy.
Steady work day, and you put in as many hours as you see fit.
The harder you work the better you will do.
Pros
Great trainers to help you learn and succeed, friendly
Cons
Once in a while there will be a price increase on the products
Farmers is a great place to start a career in Insurance
Senior Personal Lines Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 26, 2017
I work in a call center so communication and technical skills are at a premium. I have developed these skills through direct interaction with agents and their employees on a daily basis. The demands on these skills have been especially challenging these past few years with the rapidly changing Insurance market. Despite these challenges I especially enjoy working with our agents in solving problems.
Pros
Challenging work environment
Cons
limited opportunity for career advancent right now
Easygoing environment to work in
Service Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 17, 2017
My entire day at work is sitting in front of two computers as I email agents and make changes to policies as requested. Management seems to be removed from the daily goings-on of the people doing all the work. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the technology and not feeling adequately trained; and the most enjoyable part is knowing how chill everyone is.
Pros
Good benefits, lots of PTO available
Cons
Short breaks, lots of sitting
Front desk office manager/Producer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 11, 2017
Analyzed billing and accounting for Auto /Home policies.
Processed endorsements to change liability, drivers, business names and deductibles.
Bound coverage and policies.
Quoted and wrote Auto, Home, Business, Work Comp and life Insurance policies.
Submitted certificates of insurance and loss run documents.
Advised and educated customers on insurance provisions.
Loved my job and my boss but sadly the agent retired and sold the agency.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the Farmers clients.
Pros
Paid lunch hour
Cons
District manager
Excellent !! Excellent!! desvastated when they moved out of state.
Subrogation Risk Collection Sr (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 5, 2017
Excellent benefits, hard working and outstanding managers. I learned real team work procedures and help implement strategies for better work performance. Open door management made you feel listened to. Had the opportunity to travel to Seattle on several occasions to learn auditing skills . Extremely sorry when our location closed. I would have retired there.
Pros
Working independently, good benefits, comfortable enviroment, flexible work hours.
Cons
There was nothing I did not like, except for the short notice of the office closing, and having to train temporary people to help with the transition.
Leadership lacks focus and goals
Distribution (Current Employee) –  NYFebruary 6, 2017
I have been with Farmers for many years and through many different departments. Although I do realize any large organization has its internal issues, Farmers seems to thrive on micromanaging and in-fighting to the point of stagnation. I have watched Farmers slide from number 3 or 4 largest P&C company in the nation to number 7.

Handing out colored wrist bands with slogans is not leadership or management.
Pros
telecommute
Cons
micro-management, lack of leadership on multiple levels.
Productive Environment
Assistant Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAFebruary 3, 2017
This industry has given me so much experience and knowledge. I have learned how to work with a diverse group of people. The experience has been great. The most rewarding of this job has been to help people understand the importance of insurance and what role it plays in our lives. Many people see it as wasted money because they are not seeing the return of their dollar upon paying premiums.........unless there is a claim. So thankful for all the experience I have gained.
Pros
meet great people
Cons
no benefits working for an agent
I learned a lot at this company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesJanuary 27, 2017
Customer Service Rep.
Handled inbound and outbound calls from customers and agency force
Process payments
Filing, and prepare drafts for settlements
Schedule arbitration and courts dates for Agents
Prepare policy applications, endorsements, and business cards
Assist the agency force with online hardware and software problems
Ordered equipment, phone lines, and retrieve equipment from agency force
Convert agency force from mainframe system to Personal Computer
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Not any
Agency Burdened
Agent (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 27, 2017
With the company reducing compensation rates and struggling to adapt to an online market it's only a matter of time before agencies become obsolete. If FIG corporate has observed this they aren't exactly being forthcoming with their agents. Unless an agent has strong support from his/her district manager it will be sink or swim without a life jacket. This is a captive carrier so know freedom to write business through another insurance company; your agency is a slave to the rates. I suggest going independent if you must enter the very volatile insurance industry.
Pros
unlimited earning potential, flexible ownership
Cons
tough market, compliance guidelines
Every Changing Environment
Agents Benefits Advisor (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 20, 2017
My experience within Farmers Insurance has for the most part been different from year to year. I have held eight positions in almost eleven years and I have learned how several different aspects of the company help support and drive organizational goals. In each position I have learned to adapt to different cultures and the exceptions of mid-level to executive leadership. I have enjoyed the drive and challenges I have experienced.
Pros
Career Possibilities
Cons
The occasional work to life balance
Fast pace environment requiring a person adaptable to change.
Senior Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJanuary 19, 2017
I worked at Farmers Insurance Group for 40 years. In that time I raised 3 children on my salary. I lost my husband in 2013 and the company let me take time off for in home care until he passed from Cancer. Even thou they closed the office here in Pocatello I respected there financial decision to do so. I processed data entry in a fast pace environment. Took phone calls. Processed documents. You had to be able to quickly adapt to change.
Pros
Free lunch occasionally. Team spirit. Flex time was great!
Cons
Advancement was not locally available very often.
Relaxed work environment with lots of opportunities to shine.
Marketer (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 18, 2017
Volunteering with Dynamic Life is a blast! It was a blessing to watch those around me grow as individuals. Even with all of the fun we had, we took our positions very seriously. We each went above and beyond to serve our customers. The spirit and enjoyment that would come alive was my favorite part.
Pros
Free water, video games, snow cones, blow horns, and an awesome experience!
Cons
No pay.....sometimes you have to hold a sign.....
I enjoyed working for Farmer's insurance for the 20 + years.
Senior Policy Service Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLFebruary 20, 2017
A very nice place to work for at Farmer's insurance .
I learned how to process Appcations/Payment processing / Claims/work in Customer Service center.
Management was great, nothing was hard about my job, I learn fast.
the most enjoyable part of the job, were working as a team.
Pros
Office was close to home.
Cons
Lots of my co-working did not have a positive attitude.
Poor place to work
Claims Representative II (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 13, 2017
Started out a good place to work, I loved it for 12 years. Before I left it was almost impossible to keep up with their demands and they seem to have lost all compassion for their employees. You kind of feel like they treat you only by what your progress and numbers are. It was a demanding job, which I really loved for so many years, but they made so many changes that took the local and compassionate customer service out of the company.
Pros
Salary was good, and they promoted within
Cons
No compassion for employees
Corporate Job
Senior Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJanuary 13, 2017
High volume customer service call floor that teaches you how to be patient and adaptable to corporate change.

Management is okay but when an issue is escalated there knowledge is lacking.

Co-workers are the best part of this job. They are friendly and helpful and always concerned with providing help as needed.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the corporate changes that seem to rotate from what they where before to something a little different then back again on a annual basis.

The most enjoyable part was able to provide assistance to agents in such a fashion as they understood it but also was able to explain it and reproduce it processing wise.
Pros
Good Team Enviroment
Cons
Corporate
Excellent work environment. Company offices no longer in Idaho
Service Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Pocatell, IDJanuary 12, 2017
Flexible work day, many opportunities for advancement and personal growth. Excellent benefits and retirement plan. Company relocated to other states, unable to relocate with company due to personal obligations
Pros
Fun team building activites, ongoing training opportunities, opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Cons
Company relocated out of state and Idaho virtual positions not available.
Good
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 16, 2017
The company started out as a good company to work for. Great concept of family, working to make sure the employee has a great experience. As I got into the job it was harder to make the job work to be a good balance between home and work life. As well as the moving to a new department being harder to attain also.
Pros
family concept, music in the bathroom
Cons
the ability to change to a different position, hours and pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farmers Insurance Group. Our community is ready to answer.