Farmers Insurance Group

Farmers Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Found 2,028 reviews matching the search
Okay to work for, mostly if you are male
N/A (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 14, 2016
I have worked for the company for years with only being able to advance a few times, not for lack of bad reviews or lack of trying.

Work life balance is always difficult, you are expected to do much more than time allows for. I have personally not had support, ever from my direct supervisor.

Training is great, systems work most of the time. Health insurance is expensive with huge deductible, we get it cheaper through my spouse's company, which is much smaller. Retirement is matched pretty high and flexible schedules are a bonus.

Advancement and higher starting salary is primarily given to male candidates.
Pros
Retirement, coworkers
Cons
Upper management has no idea what happens on ground level
Good Compensation, Terrible Training
Senior Policy Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHOctober 18, 2016
My overall expierence is not bad but the initial training and continued training was unorganized, and very thrown together at the last minute, as well as lacking in follow through as well. Company seems unorganized altogether. Culture of the company is portrayed as employee focused and all about work life balance but this is not the case.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Training, Outlook for the Company
"Human Resource" Recruiter job is NOT human resources
Human Resource Recruiter (Former Employee) –  MichiganDecember 17, 2016
Got hired in as a Human Resource Recruiter. Not Human Resources at all. It's a recruiting position, and paid poorly compared to what most recruiters make. No formal training, or informal either. Management was lazy, and had no idea what they were doing, but insisted on micro managing anyway. Was told that lying to potential candidates was necessary. Job consisted of cold calling as many people as possible in 8 hours, most of which wanted nothing to do with working in the insurance industry. No benefits, and even if there was a place to advance to, I wouldn't recommend it.
Pros
Flexible lunch hour. Days when management wasn't around.
Cons
The job and the management
Stable, secure with good culture.
Customer Service Associate, Auto Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 30, 2016
Great company culture! I worked in call-center taking claims. Co-workers fun and supportive of each other. Hardest part of job was difficult customers.
Pros
Good pay, training, benefits, job security and company culture.
Cons
Having to work with typical call-center issues, such as adherence, glass ceiling for career advancement.
Large company with multiple opportunities for advancement
Liability Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Brea, CANovember 26, 2016
Promotions are generally made from within with plenty of growth opportunities. However, this sometimes leads to managers having little, if any, previous experience.

Claims is subject to burnout and the type of poor work/life balance most adjusters fall victim to.

The corporate campus in Woodland Hills is generally more of a relaxed environment--particularly the marketing/advertising department.
Pros
Employee appreciation days
Cons
The type of cliquish behavior found at any large corporation
Fast pace environment requiring a person adaptable to change.
Senior Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJanuary 19, 2017
I worked at Farmers Insurance Group for 40 years. In that time I raised 3 children on my salary. I lost my husband in 2013 and the company let me take time off for in home care until he passed from Cancer. Even thou they closed the office here in Pocatello I respected there financial decision to do so. I processed data entry in a fast pace environment. Took phone calls. Processed documents. You had to be able to quickly adapt to change.
Pros
Free lunch occasionally. Team spirit. Flex time was great!
Cons
Advancement was not locally available very often.
No work life balance, incompetent supervisors, and mediocore pay
Property Field Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 5, 2017
This review is for working in a Property Branch Claims Office. I've heard some Branch Claims Offices are better than others. The office I worked in was comprised of mostly incompetent and lazy employees, supervisors, and manager. They don't see the big picture. Luckily, I quit.
Pros
6% 401K match, generous PTO(sick and vacation combined), face-to-face customer interaction, company vehicle and tools
Cons
work life balance, pay incompetent supervisors and manager in BCO
Good company culture with excellent benefits/compensation and many opportunities for growth
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 13, 2016
Farmers Insurance is a desirable and competitive company to work for. The culture is good due to a very proactive approach to diversity/inclusion and much effort around employee engagement. The benefits and compensation are better than other large insurers in the area. There is a home office in the Los Angeles area, which is a large campus with many different departments/functions. This creates a large employee network with many opportunities for advancement and career development.
Large company, too much politics
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Caledonia, MIMay 16, 2016
Farmers offers decent pay and benefits, especially for recent college grads. However, it is a large corporate culture for better or worse. Too many executives whose primary objective seems to be justifying their salaries. Advancement is based more on political skill than any understanding of the insurance business much less any decision making ability. What's worse is most managers are constantly looking over their shoulders due to non-stop right sizing. This trickles down and causes a very negative office atmosphere. The unwritten rule is "he who names the problem is the problem". Most employees do their best just to keep their heads down and avoid being noticed.
Excellent work environment. Company offices no longer in Idaho
Service Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Pocatell, IDJanuary 12, 2017
Flexible work day, many opportunities for advancement and personal growth. Excellent benefits and retirement plan. Company relocated to other states, unable to relocate with company due to personal obligations
Pros
Fun team building activites, ongoing training opportunities, opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Cons
Company relocated out of state and Idaho virtual positions not available.
Typical corporate America job
Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Caledonia, MIOctober 30, 2016
Some good days, some bad days. Not ideal working schedule for person with children/family; unless you are higher management. Great start to career, allows for young adults to build their resume. Benefits are not the best, health insurance isn't anything to brag about these days any how.
Good people, but extremely hierarchical
Specialty Service Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Caledonia, MINovember 16, 2016
The company touts itself as being very open and welcoming, and I do believe that they have a good overall culture at Farmer's, but it can also be very difficult to move up. They like to keep people in positions at least a year before they open up the opportunity for advancement. And although my supervisor, and mentor encouraged me to apply for other positions that I was qualified for, the hiring managers wouldn't give me the opportunity to interview because I hadn't been with the company long enough.

But as I said, the overall atmosphere in the company is good. People are friendly and encourage you to be better.

Hardest part of the job is being tethered to a phone 8 hours a day, and just answering in-bound calls one after another. It became draining for me.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to problem solve a situation. But that becomes tedious and boring after while because you end up just solving the same issues over and over again.
Pros
Friendly environment. Nice people.
Cons
Tied to the phones 8 hours a day, Understaffed in my department, Expectations and time allotted for those expectations are not compatible, Extremely hierarchical
Farmers Insurance
Senior Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJuly 21, 2016
I was on phones all day talking mostly to agents-sometimes to the insureds and making changes to policies or discussing eligibility. I learned a lot about insurance but there was always more to learn and they frequently changed products, so you had to learn all over again about the new product. I enjoyed management for the most part-they were helpful till this last supervisor I had who was negative frequently and didn't give positive feedback. Hardest part of job was getting questions you never had before even though you've been on the job 8 years. Hard to find answers using their search engine. Helping agents find correct answers to their questions and educating them on how to find the answers themselves was the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Covered parking, fair pay and benefits
Cons
No positive feedback from supervisor
Policy checker, coder and specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, IllinoisSeptember 18, 2016
Spent 28 years with the company. Great coworkers and good management. Good benefits which included a generous profit sharing program.
Pros
Good medical insurance, owner owned credit union
Cons
Not much advancement opportunities
Ok
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodbrindge njNovember 2, 2016
I was not satisfied with the manager of farmers insurance . The agent that I worked for was emotionally unstable . THAT person was mean ,attitude was horrible and let there personal life effect there work life .
Pros
The other people that iworked arounf whwre nice
Cons
No benefits, horribke pay, dirty work environment not compensated for over working . Commission was a dollar a quote, and my manager never closed deals .
Great Company to work for.. Feels like a family
Senior Service Advocate ii (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 14, 2016
Great company. They recognize potential. They go beyond what is required as a business.
The start pay is good. You receive raises and bonuses. Call center environment.
Hours of operation are shifts which was convient for different life situations ( ex school and family needs )
Pros
Raises and bonuses
Cons
company is relocating
A real fun place to work.I enjoyed coming to work everyday!
SENIOR SERVICE ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLDecember 5, 2016
Great company to work for. Terrific colleagues and management. This is a company that promotes growth. The company always provided training for its employee's. The company always compensated the employee's in some fashion for a job well done.
Pros
advancement
Cons
Productive fast paced work place
Farmers Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 13, 2017
Working at farmers was very rewarding, there is a lot of room to grow can definitely make a career even if you only tart of as a customer service representative. The hardest part was probably keeping track of all the people that you need to follow up on.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No benefits
Customer Service/ Accountable Receivables
Senior Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLDecember 30, 2016
I effectively managed customer's unique needs by engaging in active listening. I analyzed situation in account receivables. I
created a positive customer experience through the expert resolution of conflicts, issues, and concerns.

I served as a Billing subject matter expert in my department by sharing my knowledge and assisting coworkers with complex billing questions. I supported employee development by serving as a Peer Guide Sponsor during new hire classroom training.
I contributed to a culture of employee engagement and promote corporate responsibility initiatives by actively participation on the Farmers’ Community Cares Corp.
I interacted with and respond to customer and agent inquiries.
Pros
Great Customers
Funwork place and table tennis
Full Stack developer (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 1, 2017
Very good environment, Big organization, Can learn work with team mates and friendly nature employees, good benifits and fun place to work and nice management. most enjoyable with team people...
Pros
free breaks
Cons
short breaks and health benifits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farmers Insurance Group. Our community is ready to answer.