Fastenal Employee Reviews in United States

Was a great company, but is on the decline
Outside Sales Person, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJanuary 22, 2016
When I started working at Fastenal, it was a very intense experience. I did outside sales as well as duties inside the store. I studied intensively day and night to learn about construction equipment and fasteners. I excelled at what I did, and I became the sole person who ran the entire store from the inside, while still doing occasional outside sales. It was a great place to work, the hours were set and the pay was good. At the start of the New Year, the stores original manager was replaced by someone who had less experience with Fastenal than I did, and had only managed at a competitor for about three months. They had a regional manager as well as another local manager coming to the store and issuing duties, while having me train in three part time workers and being the only one authorized to make sales inside of the store and answer calls. It became too much and I decided to look elsewhere to further my career.
Pros
Great benefits, pay and hours were set
Cons
Management has declined, the company policy has declined
Great place for advancement
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WANovember 30, 2015
I was a manager in multiple departments for Fastenal. I was the Shipping Manager, Picking Manager, Receiving Manager, as well as a purchasing agent. Basically I knew all facets of the warehouse and its daily operating procedures. Management at the beginning was great and when I quit it was not a strong group. As for the co-workers, I enjoyed the group that I worked with. We also would make plans outside of work as well. Hardest part of the job was the long hours and some of the weekends that were required of me after a while. Most enjoyable was the time at work and outside of work with the other co-workers.
Pros
Fun people, great place for advancement.
Cons
Lots of hours, and last group of managers were not a strong bunch.
Good Starter for Outside Sales
Outside Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, TXOctober 21, 2015
Their compensation is really on the low end for outside sales and their health benefits are some of the worst out there however, their retirement plan is very good. Most locations are Monday thru Friday 7am-5pm which is really nice. Overall their training is very detailed and elaborate, they give you about every tool you could have to learn about your products along with most vendors a phone call away for more information. They have so many avenues for advancement within the company itself, the only frustration is that sometimes there are too many things going on at once and usually causes frustration for your customer. Your greatest strength or weakness is your management structure, that will make or break your time with this company.
Pros
Great work schedule for a sales position. Lots of opportunities to advance
Cons
Health Benefits are terrible, Low salary/bonus structure.
Horrible place to work full of lies and empty promises
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ludington, MIFebruary 29, 2016
Employed for over a year, no raises and passed over five times for job advancements to people who have no idea on how to even complete a sales order. The manager just gives his buddies full time jobs just like the in clique in high school. Overall if your are hard working and have experience in industrial sales,DO NOT APPLY HERE, you wil just be given all the busy work to do and only promote the idiots that can't even handle a customer sale. If your looking for a part time job, apply at McDonald's or burger king. The starting pay is just as good and within a year I'm sure you will have at least one good raise based on performance. Fastenal does not recognize hard work and training.
Cons
Stressful but can gain a lot of experience.
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 16, 2016
Very busy but it makes the time go faster. Pay is low for amount of work and expectations. Big brother is always watching you here. Management does care about educating you and gives you the tools to succeed.
Pros
benefits, staff, and ability to move when you want
Cons
long hours, stressfull, unreasonable expectations
good begining sales company
National Account Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oregon/WashingtonJanuary 21, 2016
good company to work for that always hires within. compensation is not the greatest and typically hire younger sales employees. you do have a great opportunity to run your own branch similar but less risk than your own business. Fastenal always hires within so if you are motivated you can do well moving into better positions than at a typical branch. Job security is also a plus as there are always different opportunities within the company.
A Good Job if your not looking for advancement
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSFebruary 20, 2016
I was a part time sales associate, and for the most part I enjoyed it. There was lots of time where I was at the store by myself for several hours. I stocked vending machines also. The main reason I quit was because November-January they signifacantly cut back on hours. Also the rest of the year it was very hard to get a raise and when I did it was $.50 and they would not give me anymore hours that 24.
Pros
Flexable with schedule
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Great place to work for young and motivated professionals.
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAOctober 21, 2015
This is a company that gave me a great start into the working world. They took time to train me and let me grow in knowledge and ability under the direction of management. I was blessed with a few great individuals in lead rolls who taught me the value of great management. There are some draw backs to the positions such as long work hours and bellow average salary, yet the opportunity to make a business your own is very inspiring.
Pros
Training, Room to grow, positive attitudes
Cons
Longer work hours, and minimal flexibility
Below average pay, decent benefits overall
Product Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNNovember 2, 2015
Drastically varying management philosophies. Was fortunate enough to work under a Direct who show genuine concern and interest in personal growth and career advancement.

Pay is below average. Affordable healthcare/dental coverage, decent PTO.
Pros
Decent benefits overall including PTO
Cons
Below average salaries
Fastenal at its finest
Sales Trainee (Former Employee) –  Airway Heights, WASeptember 2, 2015
I learned a lot while working at Fastenal. A typical day consisted of receiving and shipping products, managing the store front, and delivering product to customers. Management and co-workers were professional to say the least. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with certain customers who are impatient, but it also came with great reward accomplishing these difficult tasks. The most enjoyable part would be the daily interaction with our top customers.
Pros
flexible, positive enviroment
Cons
low base salary, no raises
High Expectations, High rewards
Sales Support - Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 4, 2016
Fastenal will ask a lot of you. Although confined to 9-5 hours, you are expected to run a store, a large book of business and adapt to a very high learning curve, often with little to no prior experience.

They offer you lots of tools and resources to extend your knowledge if you can find the time to use them.

The pay is rewarding if you can grow over your previous year, however sometimes it can feel like you're between a rock and hard place.

Management is generally good, with lots of upward mobility and only promoting within, most management have ground level experience and can relate to newer employees.
Pros
Professional sales experience with upward mobility
Cons
Can feel unrewarding for the amount of effort that is needed to grow.
Terrible terrible place
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Tell City, INMarch 22, 2016
Awful incompetent management with a churn and burn mentality. High management is drunk off of corporate Kool aid and every one else leaves after 2 years. Would not recommend based on pay and complete lack of professionalism..
Pros
Leave the office
Cons
Pay and corporate culture
Good People, Bad Work to Life Ratio
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WI 54303March 21, 2016
I enjoy the job because of the people I meet, but long hours that are beyond the meager salary make no home life. They have stringent guidelines to which items must be sold or you do not earn commission on the product.
Pros
Great Work Environment
Cons
No life, long hours
Ok company to work for
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCMarch 7, 2016
It is just a part time job. No job security and o benefits offered. Just an in between job. Easy work and the pay was okay. Not a career move unless you know someone higher up within the company.
Pros
Short hours, easy work
Cons
no job security, no benefits
Productive Review
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXMarch 6, 2016
A typical day at work was taking care of customer - orders, shipments, returns, bids/quotes, and deliveries. I learned how to interact with customers and gauging what products they may need. I also learned how to make cold calls, how to manage time effectively in order to manage all outside customers. Co-worker worked as a team - even though the team was small, it was effective. The hardest part of the job was time management, considering the volume of customers vs. employee ratio. The most enjoyable part of the job was the ever-changing atmosphere.
Pros
Seeing different customers and travelling daily
Cons
Dealing with unsatisfied customers and picking up new customers
Good experience meeting people in many industrial feilds
OUTSIDE SALES PERSONNEL (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NJNovember 6, 2015
At Fastenal I would take and deliver tool and hardware orders to clients. I learned customer service and how to anticipate my clients needs. Management and coworkers had a high turn over rate. Hardest part of the job was meeting a large amount of clients timelines. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients meet their goals.
Pros
inside view of many industrial jobs
Cons
high turnover/ low job security
Flexible hours and good pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 2, 2016
Working at Fastenal has helped me gain a lot of experience and knowledge to move forward with my career in sales. Working here has helped me learn how to efficiently and effectively manage inventory. I have also learned how to connect with customer's and build upon those relationships to further the company's goals.

The most difficult part of this position is keeping track of multiple order's for a single customer and in turn having to keep the due dates in line.

My favorite part of the job is delivering customer order's to their respective locations. This allows me to keep track of customer needs and give some insight on how we can further assist that customer.
Productive and Fun workplace.
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Summit, ILJanuary 24, 2016
I Love going to work at my branch. My typical day consist of helping walk-in customers, answer phone calls as they come in, taking messages for sales reps or management, or place orders for existing customer accounts. I would say the hardest part about the job was becoming familiar with how to measure certain parts (such as screws-nuts & bolts) but in due time I became a pro, all thanks to my amazing coworkers. The most enjoyable part about the job for me was organizing/ rearranging the work place. I love doing that sort of task, I always a lot of pride in the finishing result.
Pros
Awesome co-workers and managment
Cons
No full-time positions available for Sales Support position
Good enviorment
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Jessup, PAJanuary 16, 2016
A nice place to work. That honors hard work and dedication. If you work Hard here you can advance here! I started out as part time unloading trucks. Transferred too maintenance department. Where I advanced due to my schooling to a management position.
good place to get a start
Sortataion (Current Employee) –  Jessup, PAFebruary 7, 2016
Good place to get experience , but hard place to get a raise. Moving up in the company is hard u have to reinterveiw . Not done by merit.
Pros
. Good place to start
Cons
rough place to work if your not perpared