Fastenal Employee Reviews

Long Hours and no compensation
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Carson, CADecember 14, 2017
Work long hours and compensation is minimal. Work environment is lousy and bare minimum. Provide vehicle but no cell phone or computer while outside the office.
Great atmosphere
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJDecember 12, 2017
Fastenal offered many training programs and opportunities to advance throughout the entire company. I was ableto make my way from sales to assistant manager to Manager to District Manager in a short period of time.
Pros
great company
Cons
poor bonus structure
Not what I wanted
Semi Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WADecember 12, 2017
Company was good, coworkers were very friendly, job just simply wasn't right for my wife and I. Not a lot of home time, less home time than was pitched tome.
Sales Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 11, 2017
I have enjoyed my time at Fastenal. It is a good company for a starter job or someone going through school and doesn't have a lot of bills. The pay is OK but don't expect raises, Those come through increased sales in the form of commission. The work style is laid back and easy going but there is little to no recognition from management for a job well done. Everyone I have met were really nice and helpful.
Pros
Flexible schedule, laid back work style, friendly people
Cons
Lower than expected pay and commission
Not my kind of company too big
Inventory Intelligence Support (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNDecember 8, 2017
Fastenal is a very poor company if a part time employee. Promise of full time was always there, but never happened. The team boss was a person that was out for herself looking good. I will never work at the company again. For some it is a great place for me not so much
great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saline, MIDecember 7, 2017
Most stable workinMost stable working environment i ever had

managers cared about your well being and you get breaks when needed i learned more in a short time here than attending college
decent place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, INDecember 7, 2017
good place to work. very low pay starting out, and most people usually start out part time. I learned a lot working there but couldn't handle the low paychecks and every other week pay periods.
Pros
learned many different ablilites
Cons
low pay
N/a
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSDecember 7, 2017
Lack of communication within departments. Overall no input on employees for evaluations. Manager felt he had a goood idea of personnal when there was no input from direct manager.
Fastenal Corporate
eCommerce Business Development (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNDecember 5, 2017
Fastenal is a cut-throat place. If you have the guts to climb the ladder any way possible, you will do great here. I love what I do for Fastenal, however the company and the values of the company are not something I can stand behind. It is tough for a women at this company as well.

The benefits are decent, and they are pretty flexible at the corporate office with scheduling. I actually have an amazing boss, but even she knows how tough the culture is. Unfortunately there is a lot of politics involved in most decision made on behalf of the business.
Pros
Good benefits, schedule can be flexible, nice people
Cons
the company itself
Receiving product into inventory; Customer service; Retail sales;
Asst Manager/Support (Current Employee) –  Spring Lake, NCDecember 5, 2017
Fastenal is a good place to work for advancement. However, salary and commission structure is low when you compare it to other companies in the same category. Management at local level is lacking.
A nice place to start off.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 4, 2017
Overall Fastenal was a decent experience. It lacked pay but offered experience as a trade off. Most managers were inexperienced and had no formal training. There were a few managers that were really great but they were rare.
Pros
a great place to learn
Cons
weak management, poor training
productive workplace
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Milford, DEDecember 2, 2017
productive as long as the message from management is positive. good pay and good work life balance. no weekends. lots of turnover though and stores can be massively understaffed.
Pros
decentalized decision making
Cons
constant turnover
Great Start
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Homer City, PANovember 30, 2017
Fastenal offers a lot of responsibility and opportunity to those who are able and willing. Up to the point of being a General Manager. There are a lot of great people to work around but sometimes the bar is set a little low due to the fast pace and lower tiered salary system.
Pros
Time Off, Hours, 401k
Cons
Public Trade rules decision making
Productive and exciting place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Enumclaw, WANovember 30, 2017
I worked at Fastenal for quite some time before I had to leave for college. I learned a lot, made good money for a part-time job, and had fun while doing it.
Pros
Excellent management, Learned a lot, very non-stressful
Cons
dont know if I had benefits
Fun, productive workplace, great GM
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCNovember 30, 2017
Great company, just not enough room for advancement. I enjoyed working with the branch staff, and I had a great branch manager and great outside sales staff.
Review
Sales Support, Warehouse Mgr, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cadillac, MINovember 29, 2017
Flexible, Worked part time, fulfilled each other needs..many responsibilities, good people to work with, successful business, great deliveries, customer focused
Pros
Flexible schedulke
Cons
pay
Steady Work
Calibration & Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNNovember 28, 2017
Good environment, Did not care for work hours. Fair benefits. Management gave their employees certain freedoms to do their work and listened to their feedback. Promoted from within whenever possible.
Pros
PTO and fair benefits
Cons
my work hours
Good Luck
Sales Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 28, 2017
Not a terrible company to work for, but the turnover is very high due to the way they treat their employees. Management is the problem at the location I worked for, and know that you are expected to perform duties that are no where near what the job description said.
Good college job
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 28, 2017
Working here has been a very good job. Easy work life balance at part time and easy to learn. The biggest con at my location was poor management which caused a lot of problems.
Overall a good company. A lot to learn but a lot of training is provided.
Sales Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Newberry, SCNovember 27, 2017
Fun place to work. Very fast paced, and can be very stressful at times. The hiring process if quick. A lot of individual online training is provided. There is a lot to learn, but almost everyone starts out as a part time associate.