Fastenal Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced enviroment centered on sales and evoling customer accounts
Sales support (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LAMarch 23, 2016
A typical day at work involved pulling product to fill customer orders, taking care of in store customers and running product to a customers location. Inventory maintenance was a constant need as everything needs to be accounted for and easily found in the store.

Management is pretty clear cut in what they need done and how to go about it. They are almost always easily accessible for help and direction.
Terrible terrible place
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Tell City, INMarch 22, 2016
Awful incompetent management with a churn and burn mentality. High management is drunk off of corporate Kool aid and every one else leaves after 2 years. Would not recommend based on pay and complete lack of professionalism..
Pros
Leave the office
Cons
Pay and corporate culture
Good People, Bad Work to Life Ratio
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WI 54303March 21, 2016
I enjoy the job because of the people I meet, but long hours that are beyond the meager salary make no home life. They have stringent guidelines to which items must be sold or you do not earn commission on the product.
Pros
Great Work Environment
Cons
No life, long hours
Stressful but can gain a lot of experience.
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 16, 2016
Very busy but it makes the time go faster. Pay is low for amount of work and expectations. Big brother is always watching you here. Management does care about educating you and gives you the tools to succeed.
Pros
benefits, staff, and ability to move when you want
Cons
long hours, stressfull, unreasonable expectations
Easy job
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 16, 2016
You can make good money in the sales part of the job. The warehouse will keep you busy and so will the research. It is nice to be able to go out on service runs as it gets you out of the office.
Pros
Great work
Cons
Little base pay and little benefits
Energetic, fast paced atmosphere
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYMarch 8, 2016
Fastenal was an outstanding place of employment. I learned a great deal about the Sales industry and Tools! The most enjoyable part of this job was having so much freedom in providing customer service to the clients. I was really able to build solid relationships with the clients.
Ok company to work for
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCMarch 7, 2016
It is just a part time job. No job security and o benefits offered. Just an in between job. Easy work and the pay was okay. Not a career move unless you know someone higher up within the company.
Pros
Short hours, easy work
Cons
no job security, no benefits
Overall summary is ok
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Troy, OHMarch 7, 2016
Fastenal is a good company to work for if you like work. The benefits are good and you have a lot of time for vacation and time for a personal life.
Pros
A lot of time to rest
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 6, 2016
I enjoy working for Fastenal. I've learned many new things since I have began working here. I feel very comfortable in this work environment.
Cons
They will only give me 28 hours a week
Productive Review
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXMarch 6, 2016
A typical day at work was taking care of customer - orders, shipments, returns, bids/quotes, and deliveries. I learned how to interact with customers and gauging what products they may need. I also learned how to make cold calls, how to manage time effectively in order to manage all outside customers. Co-worker worked as a team - even though the team was small, it was effective. The hardest part of the job was time management, considering the volume of customers vs. employee ratio. The most enjoyable part of the job was the ever-changing atmosphere.
Pros
Seeing different customers and travelling daily
Cons
Dealing with unsatisfied customers and picking up new customers
Good Place to work
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIMarch 6, 2016
The work environment is a nice friendly place. Ive learned many skills their. My co workers are great people. I enjoy most interacting with others in my job.
Rewarding experience in industrial supply sales
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 3, 2016
I worked for Fastenal close to 10 years ago. I'm sure things have changed quite a bit since then. It is fun working with local companies to help solve their problems and contribute to their products. They have a vast product line and are immersed in their local markets. Employees wear a lot of hats and get to experience a lot..
Pros
Vast product line, wear lots of hats
Cons
physically lugging product to customer and filling bins
It pays a few bills
MRO Buyer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 1, 2016
Salary non-exempt position, salary is low compared to other companies in the industry, no advancement opportunities and the office managers are very frugal.
Horrible place to work full of lies and empty promises
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ludington, MIFebruary 29, 2016
Employed for over a year, no raises and passed over five times for job advancements to people who have no idea on how to even complete a sales order. The manager just gives his buddies full time jobs just like the in clique in high school. Overall if your are hard working and have experience in industrial sales,DO NOT APPLY HERE, you wil just be given all the busy work to do and only promote the idiots that can't even handle a customer sale. If your looking for a part time job, apply at McDonald's or burger king. The starting pay is just as good and within a year I'm sure you will have at least one good raise based on performance. Fastenal does not recognize hard work and training.
Cons
Fun environment in an interesting industry
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2016
Enjoyed the people I work with. The hardest part of the job is learning all of the items they sell. fun and laid back environment.
Pros
get to leave the office
Cons
pay
Good Company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNFebruary 24, 2016
Fastenal was a great company to work for, great people, products and services.

Little to no weekend work.

Great advancement opportunities.
Productive workplace with great benefits.
Picker (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSFebruary 23, 2016
Fastenal is extremely production as a company and they really care about their employees. They have wonderful benefits for both part-time and full-time jobs.
Under pay
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLFebruary 22, 2016
I can see some taking a job with them if you just out of high school but for someone who older 9.00 is nothing also you have to pay for your own DMV recorder lame. I would pass unless your looking for a job right out of high school.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
To many to list
Filthy
Material Handling (Former Employee) –  Jessup, PAFebruary 21, 2016
The work environment is very dirty. Lot of dust and dirt everywhere. Move a box and your inhaling dust. Some people follow rules some don't and nothing happens.
Pros
Some good people actually work there.
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits.
A Good Job if your not looking for advancement
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSFebruary 20, 2016
I was a part time sales associate, and for the most part I enjoyed it. There was lots of time where I was at the store by myself for several hours. I stocked vending machines also. The main reason I quit was because November-January they signifacantly cut back on hours. Also the rest of the year it was very hard to get a raise and when I did it was $.50 and they would not give me anymore hours that 24.
Pros
Flexable with schedule
Cons
Not much room for advancement