Fastenal Employee Reviews

Found 1,071 reviews matching the search
Lots of learning and traveling for training
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARFebruary 15, 2017
Fastenal was a decent company to work for but being an outside salesman was tough considering the brand is the most expensive in the industry. I really had to develop relationships with my accounts so they would essentially purchase me and not the product.
Pros
Lots of freedom
Cons
A lot of work for little pay
Easy job with poor management.
Unit Load Picker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 3, 2016
Easy warehouse job with decent pay. Now offering quarterly bonuses for reaching sales' goals. No offered during my time of employment, as we had no room for growth. I left the company due to the fact that I was working harder for them than what I feel I deserved. Management is almost non-existent in the workplace. No help from management staff.
Pros
Easy money, daily workout
Cons
poor management
Great work place while i was going to the University of North Texas. They were flexible with hours for college students.
Lead, Hub Manager, Vendors, and occasionally (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 26, 2017
I built Vending Machines for customers expectations. that would help them control there inventory, Gloves , glasses and anything the employees needed for there job duty's.
Pros
No free Lunches
Cons
No Heath Care
Good people, but emphasis on being frugal (Including employees)
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAJanuary 19, 2017
The workplace itself was actually pretty nice. Management was fair, and the workload was busy enough to make it decent. However, the chance for advancement seemed minimal at best. District and Regional Managers are stingy with promotions, even with recommendations from general manager.
Great days because of great people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Steubenville, OHJanuary 23, 2017
Having been with Fastenal since early May of 2016, I have had the privilege to work with some extraordinary individuals. My coworkers help to keep the work environment fun, loose and as a result, productive. I have made good friends with my coworkers and others within the company. I really enjoy my time at work.
Warehouse Environment
Sortation / Shipping Worker (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 22, 2016
Roughneck job - working hard and put away wet. I stayed in shape while working this job, lifting heavy boxes, moving quickly. Easy job to feel good about when you move quickly and get stuff done. Loading semi trucks, your hours could be all night, or a few hours. Your night could be bad due to moving a lot of product, or little at all.
Pros
Small breaks whenever you need
Cons
Dry environment, dusty, loud machinery
Fast paced, steady work, learn quickly, overall good job.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, SCNovember 24, 2016
Really enjoyed my job, I interacted with customers daily inside and outside on deliveries. If you learn quickly and follow protocol you will do well. Pay was decent but got much better with advancements.
Pros
Fast paced, not always in the store(deliveries) and fun environment.
Cons
Deadlines were sometimes stressful, pay wasn't great at first, and hours were unpredictable.
A boys club atmosphere
Sales Support / Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNDecember 6, 2016
Typical day's work I would assist and help customers, support the staff, inventory items, put items away, call on business accounts for payment, work with stores to help with getting the supplies needed for customers
Pros
Customer Service experience
Cons
Bad Pay, horrible benifits, unfit mangers that needed more training on how to deal with employees
What you get out is a direct reflection of what you put in.
Outside Sales Representative & General Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 9, 2016
Put your heart and soul in to whatever role you assume and you'll be rewarded directly based off of your efforts. Great initial training to get you started, what training you do after your intial 90 trial period can only build up your value to the company. Again, you reap what you sew. Good luck!
Pros
yes, it's subjective to the individual, experience it yourself and make the best of your situation.
Cons
Fun place to work and i love the people
Recieving (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNMarch 23, 2017
This is really a company that can be used to build a good resume, or move up in the company fairly quickly. Also the people are very like able and friendly. I would recommend this job to someone but be prepared to work hard.
Pros
some free time in between busy spells
Cons
lots of lifting in the warehouse
Great networking and procurement experience.
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKNovember 1, 2016
Day to day a great experience from regular sales to odd parts procurement for custom jobs. The job included putting away freight to be sold in the store,answering phones, taking custom orders, calling vendors and other branches for parts, and assisting outside sales associates with loading parts and picking orders. The co-workers and immediate management were the most enjoyable part of the job, but the hardest part was advancement from lower level positions.
Great place to learn about any industry!
Sales Trainee - Inside Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHNovember 6, 2016
I worked at Fastenal in Southern Ohio, we had accounts ranging from farms, prisons, factories, and everything in between.. In one day you may be selling 1,000's of tubes of toothpaste to the prison and $10,000 in tools and bolts to a local factory.. You never knew when someone would come in and lay something on the desk and say I need one of these or a bolt to fit in here.. It required a lot of great research ability.. Find a number on the thing the customer needs and become best friends with google!
Pros
Classes are offered in so many areas, construction, plumbing, electrical, welding.. You are selling the product, they'll make sure you know how to use it!
Cons
Most stores require dress clothes which are instantly ruined by all of the greasy parts..
No room for advancement
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 17, 2016
I have worked for Fastenal for 2 years although my manager was a great guy there is still a lot wrong with this company. They do not care about the part time employees. Our hours were recently cut down to 14 hrs per week which is ridiculous. I'm not sure how they expect people to function with those amount of hours. Overall I would not suggest working for Fastenal.
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYDecember 29, 2016
Great job for any level, whether its college part time or a career. Typical day varies from opening the store to helping customers to going on sales calls. There's a lot to be learned from this job. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of work.
Pros
Flexible hours and opportunities are vast
Cons
Market determines your job
No Advancement
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Worked as a naval nuclear propulsion mechanic, worked in a warehouse for 3 years and couldn't get a job as a mechanic or more than 1 interview. After the 7th attempt to switch departments and took up of my displeasure with HR for being passed over for the interview process I left.
Fun workplace with great coworkers
Recieving (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNNovember 17, 2016
It is a fun place to work with great management and coworkers that make it enjoyable to come to the workplace everyday. The hardest part of my job would of been paying attention to tiny detail. The best part would be the hours and how flexible they were with my busy, college schedule. I learned a lot about all of the parts fastenel uses.
Got to meet new people
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXNovember 2, 2016
A typical day was making sells calls checking in a truck on the days we had them. I was always on the road to sell product to my accounts. I learned to always keep pushing no matter what. The hardest/favorite part of the job was. always trying to meet my goals with the oil down. the best part was I got to meet some amazing people while working for Fastenal.
Very high paced enviromen
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  York, PAOctober 13, 2016
I am constantly talking with customers who need certain parts. I take orders daily from the companies I travel to. I have learned procurement strategies and also I have learned a lot about customer service. My co-workers are all about the team and we all strive to help each other out. The hardest part of the job is finding specialized parts for customers and also meeting the ideal price on these specialized parts. I personally love fast pace environments where decision making is key and Fastenal offers this to me.
Pros
Meet many new people
Cons
Management is not a team player
very large company with a small company feel
Network Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHJanuary 9, 2017
My position at the company was pretty enjoyable. It did require some tedious work but the customers were entertaining and unique while the co-workers are lively and always willing to help
Pros
surprise free lunches and gifts
Cons
can get tedious
Hard Work Pays Off
Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAJanuary 27, 2017
Hard work is rewarded with promotions throughout the company, however the compensation throughout these advancements is less than average.

Resources are fully available throughout the company to help with any issues that arise throughout your career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fastenal. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9