Fastenal Employee Reviews in United States

A Good Job if your not looking for advancement
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSFebruary 20, 2016
I was a part time sales associate, and for the most part I enjoyed it. There was lots of time where I was at the store by myself for several hours. I stocked vending machines also. The main reason I quit was because November-January they signifacantly cut back on hours. Also the rest of the year it was very hard to get a raise and when I did it was $.50 and they would not give me anymore hours that 24.
Pros
Flexable with schedule
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Great work experience
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZFebruary 20, 2016
Great job, Love the culture and sales as well as building relationships with customers. Learning new technology implements was another great experience with this company.
Pros
Sak=les experience and trainings
Great Learning Experience
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Winnemucca, NVFebruary 19, 2016
A typical day at Fastenal would start off with a staff meeting and discussion of the day. Then we go over our cold calls and see what customers we are going to visit. Next we would get our binders and materials ready, and then go visit our customers and deliver product. Towards the end of shift we will all head back to the store to finish up paperwork and get prepped for the next day.
Pros
Great Schedule. Easy going co-workers.
Fastenal
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 19, 2016
During my time at Fastenal I would go into work and start sorting boxes into composites or I would load vans for our next day ship. During the end of my time with Fastenal I started to load semi's.
Pros
The Environment
Cons
Full time positions not avaliable
Very teamwork oriented; always pushed to surpass expectation.
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Fulton, NYFebruary 15, 2016
The team at Fastenal company is very much like a family. We are very team oriented an we always push each other to excel. The work environment is very positive. My day to day task change depending on everyone's schedule's. Sometimes I am on the road some days I am in the branch pulling orders an operating a forklift.
Pros
I have learned so much about business management.
Cons
I am not full time employement
Sales oriented workplace that keeps you on your toes
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCFebruary 10, 2016
Each day brings something different, and you consistently learn something new. Management is top notch, some of the best people to work for and co-workers are the same. Very good company to work for.
productive place to learn and start a career
Sales support associate (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, ILFebruary 9, 2016
great co-workers, job is repetitive, sometime stressful, overall a good place to work for entry level workers fresh from school- long term sales development opportunities
Pros
fast paced environment
Cons
short lunches
Very considerate place
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXFebruary 9, 2016
In the picking department we are working hard and efficiently. Allowed to listen to music while working. I've learned to increase my attention to detail with my work. The managers vary in personalities. Some are firm and tough while others are laid back and silly. In all it's just best to do your work and be productive. My co-workers in my department are college aged, young, and full energy. The work can be quite tedious because of the pressure placed on accuracy and speed. What's most enjoyable about the job is that it's a very flexible and works around class schedules. Allowed time off when scheduled in advance. Weekends off.
Pros
Decent pay, flexible, weekends off
Cons
Short breaks, part time
Managing a branch
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Flemington, NJFebruary 8, 2016
I enjoy working here very much. I would recommend this jobs to anyone. It is what you make it and you can have success if you want.
good place to get a start
Sortataion (Current Employee) –  Jessup, PAFebruary 7, 2016
Good place to get experience , but hard place to get a raise. Moving up in the company is hard u have to reinterveiw . Not done by merit.
Pros
. Good place to start
Cons
rough place to work if your not perpared
High Expectations, High rewards
Sales Support - Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 4, 2016
Fastenal will ask a lot of you. Although confined to 9-5 hours, you are expected to run a store, a large book of business and adapt to a very high learning curve, often with little to no prior experience.

They offer you lots of tools and resources to extend your knowledge if you can find the time to use them.

The pay is rewarding if you can grow over your previous year, however sometimes it can feel like you're between a rock and hard place.

Management is generally good, with lots of upward mobility and only promoting within, most management have ground level experience and can relate to newer employees.
Pros
Professional sales experience with upward mobility
Cons
Can feel unrewarding for the amount of effort that is needed to grow.
Flexible hours and good pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 2, 2016
Working at Fastenal has helped me gain a lot of experience and knowledge to move forward with my career in sales. Working here has helped me learn how to efficiently and effectively manage inventory. I have also learned how to connect with customer's and build upon those relationships to further the company's goals.

The most difficult part of this position is keeping track of multiple order's for a single customer and in turn having to keep the due dates in line.

My favorite part of the job is delivering customer order's to their respective locations. This allows me to keep track of customer needs and give some insight on how we can further assist that customer.
Fast Paced
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSFebruary 2, 2016
Good place to get sales experience. Long hours, low pay. Opportunity to advance. Good co-workers for the most part. If you want to be in sales (which I do not) there are better jobs out there.
Effective Sales Team
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 31, 2016
Administer both operations and business development throughout store and sales district; assisting with sales and customer service, managing inventory, placing and fulfilling orders, receiving and shipping inventory, performing deliveries with company vehicle
Pros
Schedule Flexibility
Cons
Understaffed
Fast paced and exciting job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 28, 2016
Fastenal allowed me to grow into a successful manager within the company. I managed the store in Auburn, Alabama for several years. I ran the day to day operations including: sales, purchasing, inventory management.
Pros
Great company
Boring
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 27, 2016
Work will mostly students who spend their time walking around and not working much. Management is super relaxed. Not much structure
Production with good bonuses
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2016
Come in talk to guy on the machine before me and ask questions about the machine and the assignment. I learn how to work on a landis machine and thread solid pipe bars. The company was manage right. No problems with my co-workers. The hardest part was getting my tools for the job. I enjoy going to work. I was not ask to do too much. I was ask to just do my job.
Fastenal
Sales Trainee (Former Employee) –  Odenton, MDJanuary 26, 2016
I learned a lot about customer service, construction and industrial supplies. Typical day was spent on road attempting to get sales and delivering supplies to customers.
Productive and Fun workplace.
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Summit, ILJanuary 24, 2016
I Love going to work at my branch. My typical day consist of helping walk-in customers, answer phone calls as they come in, taking messages for sales reps or management, or place orders for existing customer accounts. I would say the hardest part about the job was becoming familiar with how to measure certain parts (such as screws-nuts & bolts) but in due time I became a pro, all thanks to my amazing coworkers. The most enjoyable part about the job for me was organizing/ rearranging the work place. I love doing that sort of task, I always a lot of pride in the finishing result.
Pros
Awesome co-workers and managment
Cons
No full-time positions available for Sales Support position
Was a great company, but is on the decline
Outside Sales Person, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJanuary 22, 2016
When I started working at Fastenal, it was a very intense experience. I did outside sales as well as duties inside the store. I studied intensively day and night to learn about construction equipment and fasteners. I excelled at what I did, and I became the sole person who ran the entire store from the inside, while still doing occasional outside sales. It was a great place to work, the hours were set and the pay was good. At the start of the New Year, the stores original manager was replaced by someone who had less experience with Fastenal than I did, and had only managed at a competitor for about three months. They had a regional manager as well as another local manager coming to the store and issuing duties, while having me train in three part time workers and being the only one authorized to make sales inside of the store and answer calls. It became too much and I decided to look elsewhere to further my career.
Pros
Great benefits, pay and hours were set
Cons
Management has declined, the company policy has declined