Fastenal Employee Reviews in United States

Long Hours Bad Pay
Intern/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 15, 2016
Worked many hours and very hard for poor pay. Work at least 50 hours a week and get payed very little. Each store manager I worked with was very knowledgeable and a great manager, but overall company did not treat employees well.
Good company for starting out
Sales Trainee (Former Employee) –  IdahoApril 7, 2016
My branch suffered from inadequate management. I often lacked the necessary instruction to complete job tasks. However, this did provide the opportunity to better my problem-solving skills.
A Very good company to work for.
CNC MACHINIST (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 2, 2016
Good company to work for. Willing to teach you everything you need to know about being a cnc machinist. I learned how to do offsets, and use measurement tools to ensure parts met expectations.
Pros
Willing to teach you how to program.
Overworked, undervalued, and underpayed
Sales Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 28, 2015
Would be a decent place to work if it wasn't for the micromanaging at every level and constant changes to company policies and commission structure. Culture has a sink or swim mentality and if the branch you work at is understaffed the training you receive will be very poor.
Pros
Nights and weekends off
Cons
Work through lunches, no incentive to sell, commission structure, micromanaging
Great Company to Start your B2B Sales Career
Outside Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXOctober 16, 2015
Worked part time for Fastenal while in college. After graduating I took a Outside Sales role and loved the interaction with the customers. Enjoyed the challenges and gained knowledge with B2B sales.
Pros
Company Vehicle, Not stuck behind a desk, Off on weekends
Cons
high employee turn over, mediocre upper management
Industrial supplier
Manager (Former Employee) –  Eufaula, ALSeptember 22, 2015
Started with the Fastenal Company in 1998 as outside sales rep when we first opened the Eufaula branch. Became store manager and grew business from $20,000 per month to $105,000 per month. Ordered stock and maintained adequate and accurate inventory through daily cycle counts for customers. Had to run business and was responsible for operating expenses as well as sales growth through customer service. Managed and supervised four employees and two store vehicles as well as maintained clean and safe work ethics and environment.
Pros
Loved providing customer service
Cons
grew business and was replaced by a manager that was paid a lesser salary and incentive package
Cnc machinist
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Loves Park, ILApril 11, 2016
Terrible attitude. Totally mismanaged. Missed opportunity to make the place a success.

Had all the latest machines, but got all thrown away.
Pros
Proximity to home
Cons
Short breaks, you are just a number
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 6, 2016
I enjoy working for Fastenal. I've learned many new things since I have began working here. I feel very comfortable in this work environment.
Cons
They will only give me 28 hours a week
Fastenal
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILNovember 22, 2015
If you are willing to work hard. Do the job right and are a quick learner you will love Fastenal. Given you have the willingness to go that extra mile then Fastenal is the company for you. The pay isn't the greatest but the potential is there for it to improve quickly.
Easy Going but Fast Paced
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXApril 7, 2016
Being able to work quickly and accurately is important, but the atmosphere is really laid back and all the people working there are kind and willing to answer questions.

Want to know more about Fastenal?

Ask a question
PartTime Employment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  PRDecember 29, 2015
You get to do inventory work. Training is available through their Online program. Little bit of sales, that's done mostly by the full timers. Hours get cut dramatically in Nov. and Dec. You don't get a sense of upward mobility.
good place to get a start
Sortataion (Current Employee) –  Jessup, PAFebruary 7, 2016
Good place to get experience , but hard place to get a raise. Moving up in the company is hard u have to reinterveiw . Not done by merit.
Pros
. Good place to start
Cons
rough place to work if your not perpared
Fun environment in an interesting industry
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2016
Enjoyed the people I work with. The hardest part of the job is learning all of the items they sell. fun and laid back environment.
Pros
get to leave the office
Cons
pay
Co-workers
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 9, 2015
The people I worked with were by far the best part of the job. Although the mornings are early, and often times..for me, understanding the application of various products we provided were unknown to me but each of my co-workers helped. And were always there for a good laugh afterward.
Fast Paced
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSFebruary 2, 2016
Good place to get sales experience. Long hours, low pay. Opportunity to advance. Good co-workers for the most part. If you want to be in sales (which I do not) there are better jobs out there.
Good Starter for Outside Sales
Outside Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, TXOctober 21, 2015
Their compensation is really on the low end for outside sales and their health benefits are some of the worst out there however, their retirement plan is very good. Most locations are Monday thru Friday 7am-5pm which is really nice. Overall their training is very detailed and elaborate, they give you about every tool you could have to learn about your products along with most vendors a phone call away for more information. They have so many avenues for advancement within the company itself, the only frustration is that sometimes there are too many things going on at once and usually causes frustration for your customer. Your greatest strength or weakness is your management structure, that will make or break your time with this company.
Pros
Great work schedule for a sales position. Lots of opportunities to advance
Cons
Health Benefits are terrible, Low salary/bonus structure.
Overall summary is ok
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Troy, OHMarch 7, 2016
Fastenal is a good company to work for if you like work. The benefits are good and you have a lot of time for vacation and time for a personal life.
Pros
A lot of time to rest
Cons
Productive workplace with great benefits.
Picker (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSFebruary 23, 2016
Fastenal is extremely production as a company and they really care about their employees. They have wonderful benefits for both part-time and full-time jobs.
Was a great company, but is on the decline
Outside Sales Person, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJanuary 22, 2016
When I started working at Fastenal, it was a very intense experience. I did outside sales as well as duties inside the store. I studied intensively day and night to learn about construction equipment and fasteners. I excelled at what I did, and I became the sole person who ran the entire store from the inside, while still doing occasional outside sales. It was a great place to work, the hours were set and the pay was good. At the start of the New Year, the stores original manager was replaced by someone who had less experience with Fastenal than I did, and had only managed at a competitor for about three months. They had a regional manager as well as another local manager coming to the store and issuing duties, while having me train in three part time workers and being the only one authorized to make sales inside of the store and answer calls. It became too much and I decided to look elsewhere to further my career.
Pros
Great benefits, pay and hours were set
Cons
Management has declined, the company policy has declined
Co-workers
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAApril 7, 2016
Most of the members of Fastenal are self motivated and work very hard as a team to accomplish goals. Most of the members of surpass these goals set forth by corporate with ease.