Fastenal

Fastenal Employee Reviews

Commercial Sales
Commercial and Industrial Sales (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 7, 2015
Hard workers and excellent salesmen will be rewarded in this position with a high emphasis on commission. Culture of the company is excellent and fosters young employees. However, must enjoy sales to succeed in position.
Great company!
Outside sales/Assistant manager (Current Employee), Cookeville, TNMarch 6, 2015
Pros: close proximity
Cons: work some holidays
Fastenal's business is mostly handled through B2B sales, but a small percentage is done through walk-in customers. With that, one has to be prepared for both at all times to run efficiently. My role has evolved over the years from mostly outside sales and relationship building tasks to more of an inside managerial role. With a growing business you are constantly having to make adjustments in order to make sure things run as smoothly as possible. With 5 part-time employees and 4 outside sales agents (typical store has 4 employees including Manager) we are a fast-paced sales force, which requires dedicated oversight. I have learned many tasks to compliment my sales and presentation expertise such as inventory allocation, inventory adjustments, audits, collections, and maintaining a healthy culture in the workplace. I have enjoyed everything I have learned at Fastenal, just feel like it is time I broaden my horizons elsewhere.
Laid-back Workplace
Sales Trainee (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: weekends off
Cons: not many available hours
Friendly coworkers
Learned about sales and fasteners
Very laid back position
Great management
A typical day at work involves making and carrying out orders as well as helping customers
Great company for a part time worker
Part Time Sales (Current Employee), Waycross, GAMarch 4, 2015
Fastenal is a very goal oriented company
they are all about profit and sales margins
as long as each employee does his or her part they should have no problem succeeding with this company.
Great company
Sales Trainee Fastenal (Current Employee), Houghton, MIMarch 2, 2015
Learned lots and made great connections. I was able to work on my b2b sales techniques. I liked the decentralization of the company
fast pace and customer service
Sales Associate / Part Time Sales (Current Employee), Ogdensburg, NYMarch 2, 2015
open the store then do receiving and once receiving is done I go out on the road and contact customers and try and grow our service with them to help them save money.
It is a very nice workplace.
Sales Trainee (Current Employee), Oxford, MsFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: great hours, and pay.
Cons: it can be slow at times.
I love the job. I haven't had one like this ever. I plan to work there for a very long time. I enjoy walking in the door every time I work.
Fantastic work environment
General Manager (Current Employee), Sandy, UTFebruary 27, 2015
Each morning we get a truck from our distribution center in Salt Lake, that is dropped off at my store for us to receive in the orders for our customers.
good place to work, but little to no room for advancment or pay
Sales Support- Primary (Current Employee), Wilmington, OHFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: laid back work atmosphere, laid back attendence
Cons: low compensation
The worst part is the repetition, besides that a very easy job for the most part, been with Fastenal for over a year and not the slightest hint of increased pay nor advancement.
Nice college job with decent pay
General Employee (Former Employee), Oshkosh, WIFebruary 22, 2015
Only worked until five and no weekends. Job was fairly easily and got to learn a lot more about hardware and parts. Get a lot of responsibility for a part time employee, they really want to see you succeed
learn how to organize and solve industrial problems
Sales Support (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCFebruary 22, 2015
This job helped me learn and have a greater knowledge of customer service and fastener applications. You will gain a larger understanding of industrial solutions and the time in which it takes to implement these solutions.
Great company to learn and grow with.
General Manager (Former Employee), Lyndonville, VTFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: no cap on earnings, great 401k, excellent training modules
Cons: high turnover of middle management
Fast paced environment, no two days look the same, lots of customer face time, great leeway given to perform job responsibilities.
productive workplace
Sales associate, mechanical parts knowledge (Former Employee), Mehoopany, PAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: paid lunch periods, many breaks in between jobs
Cons: unorganized
fast paced, unorganized. computer programs unorganized and hard to work through. small work area, hard to organize all work materials.
loading docks
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 19, 2015
load docks and picker, i learned how to use a forklift, my coworkers are cool. i enjoy the job just looking for a fulltime position.
Good work experince
Sales Trainee Intern (Current Employee), Beaver, PAFebruary 19, 2015
pick orders, order inventory, restock vending machines. friendly and helpful staff. Room to advance and grow. Would recommend it to others.
Good company
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Bowling Green, OHFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: plenty of advancement, training, freedom to do what you want
Cons: long hours
Strong company that will continue to grow no matter the strength of the economy. Everyone needs nuts and bolts. Decentralized decision making allows the employees to really think outside of the box.
Worked in the Warehouse making sure products got delivered to the correct locations
General Warehouse (Former Employee), Winona, MNFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: paying job throughout college
Cons: no opportunity for advancement
I learned a lot of how to deal with things when things aren't going your way. This position really taught me a lot and helped get me through college. a typical day would consist of me scanning as much products as possible to the correct location ensuring accuracy.
all depends on your GM
Inside Sales Support (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: you get to learn how to do everything
Cons: low pay, short ladder to grow, high turnover rate, rotating door of employees, proud of being the "cheap company"
Great learning experience in a somewhat office setting. If you don't have a good GM, then you will be looking for a new job pretty quickly. Fastenal expects you to stay with the company because "we're Fastenal" and not because they will reward you with better pay or a better commission plan. Not enough employees for what one store can do, and have crazy expectations. The people that to make commission, have a strange commission plan that doesn't necessarily add up. Hardest part of the job is the fact that anyone can come into the store, at any given time all in the same time you're having to be an outside sales, account specialist, inside sales support, warehouse worker, a purchaser, and a material handler, yet you're still not making decent pay.
Team oriented
Manager Lead of Receiving (Current Employee), Akron, OHFebruary 16, 2015
Team oriented hard working team. Working under pressure and meeting deadlines from day to day. I have learned have to manage people accordingly.
Great workplace
Price Analyst (Current Employee), Winona, MNFebruary 16, 2015
I learned a lot about how to do cost and margin analyses. Working a lot with wholesale and discount analyses. Using Excel v-lookups and peoplesoft reports to come up with the best prices

About Fastenal

Some might say it has a screw loose, but things are really pretty snug at Fastenal. The company operates about 2,600 stores in – Read more

Fastenal Salaries