Fastenal Employee Reviews

Good Luck
Sales Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 28, 2017
Not a terrible company to work for, but the turnover is very high due to the way they treat their employees. Management is the problem at the location I worked for, and know that you are expected to perform duties that are no where near what the job description said.
Good college job
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 28, 2017
Working here has been a very good job. Easy work life balance at part time and easy to learn. The biggest con at my location was poor management which caused a lot of problems.
Overall a good company. A lot to learn but a lot of training is provided.
Sales Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Newberry, SCNovember 27, 2017
Fun place to work. Very fast paced, and can be very stressful at times. The hiring process if quick. A lot of individual online training is provided. There is a lot to learn, but almost everyone starts out as a part time associate.
Poor management
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 27, 2017
Management is horrible, unless you are an OSR they do not care about you. Hostile work environment, favoritism you will service accounts and get no credit for it. Not worth the time or energy but it pays the bills right now
Pros
if you like sales
Cons
expensive health care poor management
it was a productive and fun workplace
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHNovember 27, 2017
Learned a lot, took plenty of free trainings. Got to meet new people everyday and build relationships with the customers we development. We grew our accounts and had plenty time out on the road to grow our sales.
Customer satisfaction guaranteed
Part-Time Sales Trainee (Former Employee) –  Tiffin, OHNovember 26, 2017
Fastenal was a great company to work with. I became very detail oriented while working with Fastenal. The company strives to do the best possible job for their customers.
Fast paced, energetic work environment.
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GANovember 24, 2017
Must keep your eyes on the prize. Regardless if the job is temporary or planning to retire there, don't allow the stress to cause you to crass and burn. Study all information available, practice your duties, understand your roles, and ask for help when needed, keep a positive attitude and you will go far.
Flexible work shcedule
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Charlevoix, MINovember 21, 2017
depending on the store and location you will work between 18-32 hours per week. the job is not difficult but there is a steep learning curve for those without a machining or tool oriented background
Pros
schedule flexibility
Cons
lack of hours
It was a horrible place
3PL CDL A Driver (Former Employee) –  Jessup, PANovember 20, 2017
Horrible place to work with extremely long hours. They treat their employees as disposable. The only benefit is pay and the other coworkers that you interact with for the most part. As a driver I would not recommend this to anyone unless it’s a last resort.
Pros
Pay and coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Culture based on Corporate profit
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Pauls Valley, OKNovember 19, 2017
Fastenal is a company that expects alot for too little. Benefits are OK but hours are long. Pay is inadequate and too long between raises. District Managers are obsessed with profit numbers.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Crummy environment
My Fastenal Experience
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GANovember 19, 2017
Great early career experience in sales management and running a branch store. District Manager was an excellent coach/mentor/ teacher. I enjoyed the responsibility thoroughly.
Average stepping stone
Employee (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 18, 2017
If you're looking for a place to start a career, this fair's average in the industry. There is room to advance within the company if you're a "team player".
Not worth it
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVNovember 17, 2017
Worked for Fastenal for 1 1/2 years as an Outside Sales Rep. Company motto: "Growth through customer service" is B.S. They could care less about customer service. Only servicing customers who buy regularly and spend a lot. Other customer are ignored and told to come into the store instead of delivery. Lack of customer service. I fell need for there current customers. Manager will violate company policies and nothing happens. Manager has temper issues. Likes to talk negatively about both employees and customers to crew.
Pros
Not hard sales
Cons
Everything else
Good place to start working towards advancement
Customer Service Rep / Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, IL 62656November 16, 2017
typical workday was to open the store about 7:30 a.m. and have several regular customers come in right away with cheerful attitudes and get what they needed. Manager was quite helpful as well as another worker in teaching me all things I needed as I am a quick learner and within days knew most if not all the daily operations.
Pros
Learned new things and quick advancement
Cons
bored quickly as mundane and 1 worker wasnt quite friendly.
Poor management
Picker (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCNovember 16, 2017
I walked out and quit due to the disrespect of the manager! If your not so call fast enough for them they won't try to help you they will only treat you poorly! This was the worst place I have ever worked in my life, and I've been at some terrible jobs before but this place was horrible! The manager in the picking department is very disrespectful! I called corporate the next day!
Pros
Decent pay for part time
Cons
Short breaks, Shabby buildings, Poor management
Summary of Fastenal
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 14, 2017
I worked at Fastenal part-time when I was in college. It was an extremely helpful job for me as I got some experience in seeing how businesses operate.
Decent job
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXNovember 13, 2017
At my local branch we had a superior staff, My immediate boss left for a different company and once that happened the new manager who was not a sales oriented manager at all. Our District manager let things get out of hand at the branch and things went downhill from there.
Fast Paced
Outside Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 12, 2017
Fast paced. Poor outside sales support structure. Grossly understaffed. Good benefits. Pay is performance driven. Freedom to run your book of business as you desire.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Understaffed
Fast paced environment to work at.
SALES SUPPORT ASSOCIATE PT (Current Employee) –  OklahomaNovember 11, 2017
A person's day would include filling & delivering orders of various industrial products, assisting customers with their industrial product needs & completing the sale of items needed, perform various inventory activities, receiving and stocking of merchandise. Complete various housekeeping duties along with other store team members. Most team members will help train new employees, but some members do not want to be bothered.
Pros
Most customers are friendly and easy to assist in finding product needed.
Cons
No breaks, Semi antagonistic environment to work at.
High pressure. Can't satisfy boss
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMNovember 11, 2017
You can't get a head with Fastenal. When you acheave the goals that are in the hand book they change the rules. The more you sell the higher they they wanted. At the end I sold more and got paid LESS
Pros
Your own boss
Cons
can't do anything with it