Fastenal Employee Reviews

Productive, Self motivated fast pace work enviornment
Sales (Current Employee) –  ALABAMAJuly 14, 2014
On average I work about 50 hours a week. Very fast pace work environment. A store will succeed if one has a good general manager and all employees work together. An individual will succeed if they are confident and self motivated. If there is any employee clash it is usually obvious and can hurt sales significantly. The hardest part of the job would be keeping inventory correct and training people correctly to get the job done right the first time. The most enjoyable part of the job is customer interaction. You really get to go out and see industry and how everything works. This job offers good sales/life skills to apply in future positions.
Pros
great training, possibility to make great money.
Cons
some days have short breaks, sometimes stressful environment, regularly work over 45 hours weekly.
Decent place to work for, just doesn't compensate it's employees
Outside Sales Person (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 24, 2012
It is a sales based job. I spend the day going business to business on cold calls. Since working there I've learned various aspects of the construction industry. The biggest thing I learned while working here was that sales is very cutthroat and competitive. Management provided no training, and never showed me how a proper sales call is supposed to go. I was on my own and have been since becoming an Outside Sales Person. I really like my co-workers and we get along. The hardest part of the job is spending the entire day trying to get sales and coming back empty handed. The most enjoyable part would have to be the feeling I get when I take a decent size order.
Pros
weekends and holidays off, competitive benefits
Cons
47 hours per week-no ot. doesn't compensate employees fairly
Good Job experience and flexible daily workplace
Sales associate/account specialist (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHJanuary 11, 2014
A typical day at work starts at 7:30AM and includes a wide range of job duties, from receiving in a truck with store/customer product - to making sales calls, filling bin stock, creating Vendor purchase orders to handling accounts payable.
The turn around is pretty fast at Fastenal due to rapid advancement so working with the same co-workers is short lived but usually a good experience.
The hardest part of this job for me was cold calling to gain actives and sales growth.
The most enjoyable part of this job is not having to stay in one place for any length of time.
Pros
good sales experience, meeting new people, gaining a wide range of important job skills
Cons
long work weeks, extreme weather working conditions, regular heavy lifting. cold calling/door to door sales.
Ok place to work
Sales Trainee (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OHNovember 29, 2014
I have been with the company for 6 months with a bachelors degree in management. I was hired on expecting to move into full time sales. So far I have been on one sales call and have had 0 training in Sales. Everything that part time employees do is inventory management and some account management.

A typical day is approximately 8-10 hours.
I have learned how to improve inventory management and operate the basic functions of their software. I have also completed product training.

The hardest part of the job is working with co-workers who have seniority. The vulgarity of their speech and humor has been more than degrading, and management refuses to acknowledge it.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and helping them solve problems.
Pros
job security as part time
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
Fantastic intro to sales and customer service.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, INJanuary 16, 2013
I loved this job, but it did not pay enough to cover costs of living. A typical work day consisted of many task, from answering phones and consulting customers to shipping, receiving, and delivering products in person. I took pride in representing a company and using my communication skills as a tool for the job. I learned much about sales, margins, customer service, and a multitude of products in a short amount of time and my coworkers were great with helping me learn procedures. The hardest part of the job was also the most interesting and challenging, and was problem solving and helping customers with their questions and issues. I guess you could say, the most enjoyable part of the job was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
many, but mostly the satisfaction i felt at the end of the day.
Cons
little pay
This company does not live up to ISO standards
quality (Former Employee) –  rockford, ILJuly 9, 2012
I had to quit because I believe in Quality first and not lieing to customers. This company does not understand nor does it maintain what resources are needed to accomplish and maintain ISO standards for manufacturing. ISO PPAP requirements were never meet and I was told to lie to the customer and to falsify documents. When I gave my two weeks notice I was shoved out the door the same day. Four months before I put in for another quality job in another unit but was denied, only men advance in this company. I have 18 plus years in Cold Heading Manufacturing and have been fully certified and trained in ISO 9001 as a quality person and I would never reccomend this company as a place to work if you have morals.
Pros
no reviews, no raises
Cons
healthcare was terrible for the price you pay
Entry level job, not a career
Part time Sales Support (Current Employee) –  WIOctober 31, 2012
I am a current part time employee and also a female. I have been with Fastenal for 8 years. Fastenal does offer flexibility with hours worked, and my boss is very good to everyone, and that is the only reason I am still there. Did not have any training. Learned everything by trial and error. Pay is not good, never given any type of performance review or raise. New employees walk in the door making a better hourly wage then people who have been there for years, and the experienced person ends up "training" the new person who is paid more than they are. It's a real slap in the face. I feel this company is a "boys cub" with no chance for advancement. I am currently pursuing other employment opportunities..
Pros
flexible hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
low pay, no opportunity for advancement
Do Not have Fastenal on your resume
Employee (Former Employee) –  Little Chute, WIDecember 11, 2014
They are looking for slave labor, cut pay every year since went public while upper management pays themselves excessively. Every thing is micro-managed, no way to run own business as claimed. Goals are unrealistic, efforts are never good enough, will never let you succeed, always will have the whip at your back. Inventory does not fit your market, massive buying mistakes by corporate has left product that does not sell on shelves for decades. Stores are understaffed so everyone is doing the work part-timers should be doing, while they want part-timers doing full time work. This all means that you, your scanty commissions and your customers suffer while management accepts no responsibility.
Pros
the day you leave
Cons
pay, hours, management, resources, inventory, you name it
hard work doesn't pay off here
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  TXFebruary 11, 2013
-expect slicked back hair from management: typically people with some college education who simply couldn't cut-it anywhere else.
(my manager was a decent guy, I'm speaking primarily of upper management & managers from other stores that I met)
-generally, people who are gung-ho about their fastenal career are lowly, sleezy, used-car salesmen... esp. Upper Management
-young non-sales employees are generally cool, but know to escape from the fastenal business system as quickly as possible.

most enjoyable part of job: generally able to to do homework, listen to music, smoke cigarettes & surf the internet when OSP & manager are gone
Pros
unlimited cigarette breaks, free coffee & free bottled water(ha)
Cons
sales policies over-intrusive, poor management, limited room for advancement
Productive; educational and enjoyable
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Phillips, WISeptember 4, 2014
While I worked for the National Guard I was able to better myself with learning all the phases of the Military and it made me proud to have served my Country and then my State. I served in the US air Force from 1964 - 1968 as a Inventory control Specialist both State side and overseas in Thialand and Viet Nam. Co workers were great and I learned a lot about doing parts inventory from them. Hardest psrt of the job was getting the tires to the Aircraft on time when working weekends by myself due to the size of the tires. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I had friends from different units on base who would aid me with problems that came up because I treated them with respect.
Pros
doing a job i loved
Cons
not being able to please everyone.
High Expectations, High rewards
Sales Support - Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 4, 2016
Fastenal will ask a lot of you. Although confined to 9-5 hours, you are expected to run a store, a large book of business and adapt to a very high learning curve, often with little to no prior experience.

They offer you lots of tools and resources to extend your knowledge if you can find the time to use them.

The pay is rewarding if you can grow over your previous year, however sometimes it can feel like you're between a rock and hard place.

Management is generally good, with lots of upward mobility and only promoting within, most management have ground level experience and can relate to newer employees.
Pros
Professional sales experience with upward mobility
Cons
Can feel unrewarding for the amount of effort that is needed to grow.
A good place to get started
IT Department (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNOctober 29, 2012
If you are looking for an IT job Fastenal is a good place to start. Don't expect to be paid anywhere near even the lowest average for your job title. This is why you should work here to get experience at a semi-large company and then move on.

You are not recognized for your hard work on an individual basis at all and the IT department policy is to not have annual or bi-annual reviews at all. However, you are paid on your performance which remains a mystery due to the lack of a review.

There is near zero room for advancement in both pay and leadership. Whether you work hard or not your pay level will remain the same, but keep working so you can get good recommendations from your co-workers.
Pros
on the edge of most technologies
Cons
pay, vacation, healthcare
Valuable experience, but limited upside income potential.
Branch Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAApril 23, 2014
In the 5 years or so working for this company I learned many different skills.

Received and took advantage of training opportunities every step of the way.

Acquired hiring, sales growth, purchasing, sales management, inventory control, merchandising and many other skills.

The most difficult part of this job was being restricted to a small territory. I saw larger opportunities in other regions as I traveled.

The most enjoyable part of this job was getting the satisfaction that as a team we were able to take a bleeding store and turn in profitable through hard work.
Pros
large corportation with huge reach to over 2 million products.
Cons
poor commision structure that limited commission upside.
Nice place to start a career.
Supervisor / Help Desk / Picker/ Trainer/ Stocker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 2, 2015
 Managed 10-25 workers as well as hired and discharged employees
 Scheduled and maintained employees’ hours
 Picked orders such as exceptions, UPS, printed labels, corrected errors, along with kept work area clean
 Forklift (order picker) & material handling
 Moved boxes from replenishment belt to shelves with RF Scanner
 Analyzed, processed, and resolved all discrepancies through email, telephone, and fax from all departments such as picking, sorting, shipping, and receiving
 Pulled immediate orders for customers and branch employees, along with physical stock checks for product availability
 RF Scanner special package order for customers
 Microsoft: Word, Excel, Outlook
Flexible and Great College Learning Environment
Distribution Finance Intern (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 19, 2014
I have worked at Fastenal's Indianapolis DC for about 7 months now and have to say it is a really great place for a College Student to get some hands on experience while in his studies. They give you the opportunity to learn the ropes and expand your skills a qualifications in any way you want.

Really the major downside is the potential of full time hire out of college. I have been in conversations with my superiors, HR, and Hub Manager and they just don't seem like they are much into hiring FT workers right out of college unless its in the warehouse floor (which I cant do for physical reasons).
Pros
flexible scheduling, open door management, hands on experience
Cons
lack of advancement
Great place for advancement
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WANovember 30, 2015
I was a manager in multiple departments for Fastenal. I was the Shipping Manager, Picking Manager, Receiving Manager, as well as a purchasing agent. Basically I knew all facets of the warehouse and its daily operating procedures. Management at the beginning was great and when I quit it was not a strong group. As for the co-workers, I enjoyed the group that I worked with. We also would make plans outside of work as well. Hardest part of the job was the long hours and some of the weekends that were required of me after a while. Most enjoyable was the time at work and outside of work with the other co-workers.
Pros
Fun people, great place for advancement.
Cons
Lots of hours, and last group of managers were not a strong bunch.
just a job, not a carreer
Part time sales/warehouse trainee (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, MTMay 25, 2015
Fastenal, as a struggling company, is all about cutting costs. All stores are mandated to hire at least 2 part time employees, where one full time employee would not only be sufficient, but more efficient. Blame the ACA or the company for not impementing strategies to deal with benefit costs, but either way, the company's H.R. approach favors the company with no understanding of employee job satisfaction. My store has seen 3 general managers in the last 6 months, and the turnover will continue. In short, there is no incentive to stay at this company.
Cons
decentralized management, employees are fiscally responsible for store performance, i.e. if the store does not meet goals, it comes out of yor pay.
Not a long term company
Project Manager/Implementation (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2015
This a great company for people who just graduated from high school or college. Not a great long term company.

I have worked through out the gulf coast region for two years. The company is full of petty, self severing people and the rare times I worked with people who understood how to work for the greater good they would leave to work else where or I was instructed to work against them by the national sales team.

The branches are lucky to be able to shield themselves from this as they don't have to work with each other and are encouraged to sabotage each others performance by the district managers and corporate.
Pros
Great for people that have limited options
Cons
Not a great long term company
Good Environment yet Unexperienced
Part Time Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INOctober 2, 2014
I believe what slowed me down at this job was the fact that I went in with no expectation and no real knowledge of what I was going to be doing from day to day. I believe I did the best I could with what I was given but I most certainly could have worked harder to learn the individual parts that we sold. I would say that was most certainly the hardest part of this job was that I had no real experience with nuts and bolts and things of that nature before I started, giving me nothing to go from. I enjoyed the environment I worked in and my co-workers were patient with me and helped whenever I needed it. Overtime I most certainly got better with knowing the parts and working more thoroughly.
Flexible hours and great customers
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Covington, TnApril 24, 2015
Overall, I loved working for Fastenal. I was given free reign and really allowed to set my own pace. Most, not all, of the customers are great. The computer system they use is easy, just a lot of steps to remember.

Moving up isn't impossible as long as you're willing to relocate. Updates on systems or the way stores are run is hectic. They run through managers constantly. Everything's always changing and not everyone has the same point of view on how things should be going. Goals are sometimes unrealistic to reach. The store I worked in didn't have all the proper equipment, so I would have to come up with creative ways to get certain tasks done.
Pros
Fun Environment, Fast Paced
Cons
Managment, Stability