Fastenal

Fastenal Employee Reviews

Good place to start, not to stay
Manager (Current Employee), MNApril 8, 2015
Pros: Flexible Schedules
Cons: Pay and benefits
You go long periods without reviews, raises, there is little to no training for jobs. If you are just starting out and willing to move anywhere and do anything is is room to grow.
Great coworkers, enjoyable work environment
Part Time Assistance (Former Employee), Everett, WAApril 7, 2015
I really enjoyed working for Fastenal. The people I worked with (both coworkers and managers) were fun people who knew how to get their job done while still entertaining each other.
Straight Forward work with awesome and fun coworkers
Night Shipping (Current Employee), Akron, OHApril 7, 2015
Pros: Pay, consistent hours, cowowrkers, vending machines
Cons: Sometimes if you haven't worked all your hours throughout the week, they make you stay long on Sunday doing remedial sweeping and other repetitive tasks.
At first I was skeptical about the job, but it really is one of the best jobs I've had. Pay is decent, and they make sure you get your hours one way or another, which at times can either be a blessing or a curse. The work is fast paced, but competitive and not necessarily difficult You pretty much clock in, get a tow motor, get your trailer reports, and start loading. The hardest part is probably the learning curve of knowing where everything is, and double/triple stacking composites. Management are really laid back but assertive, but most importantly, forgiving, patient, and encouraging.

Also, vending machines accept debit/credit cards, which is extremely convenient.
Productive work place and good team work.
Outside Sales Person (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAApril 6, 2015
Like the fast pace work environment. I also like the people I work with, I believe we have a great team and it makes it easier to go to work everyday.
Strong starting career; have to be passionate to really excel
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCApril 6, 2015
Work can be enjoyable if all entities in a store perform their required duties. If any part of the chain falls apart it can be difficult to perform sales operations at required and efficient level.
Not the best place to work
Administrative (Former Employee), Denton, TXApril 2, 2015
Pros: Close to home
Cons: Management, pay
I would purchase parts for the techs, pick and pack orders from stores. I learned to use the WMS and RF guns for inventory control. My co-workers where fun to work with. The hardest part of my job was the vendor warranty claims I did. I loved working with the vendors and the branches. Management was poor because he did not know his job. I worked for 6 different managers before I said enough is a enough.
Great Job for the college student
Night Shift Shipping (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 1, 2015
Physical, but easy work. Coworkers and management are amazing. They work around your schedule, so it's great for college students like myself.
Challenging sales environment with many opportunities to learn
Outside Sales Trainee (Current Employee), Wichita Falls, TXMarch 30, 2015
A typical day at Fastenal includes me pulling inventory off the shelves to be loaded into the customer's vending machines by the sales representatives. I would also greet and help customers that enter the store, and also provide help for customers who call or email the store. Once a week I will spend the day with a sales representative on their weekly route where we will fill vending machines and take inventory at the locations.
I have gained great field experience within the outside sales department. I quickly learned the ins-and-outs of their computer system to be able to perform my basic duties. I have learned excellent customer service skills as well.
My co-workers include Outside Sales representatives as well as a few other college students. I spend most of my day working with the other college-age employees while the sales reps are out making their routes.
The hardest part of my job was getting familiar and oriented with the products that I was working with. There are many different items in the store that I was not familiar with before starting, and it took some time for me to get to know everything.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help customers make the right decision for the project they are working on. I am satisfied when I know I have helped someone.
Good Company
General Manager (Former Employee), IllinoisMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Good environment
Fastenal was a good place to work. I had an excellent DM for 13 years. I learned something new each day which kept it interesting.
Great Company!
Internal Help Desk (Current Employee), Winona, MNMarch 28, 2015
Fastenal is a great company for college students! The managers are very understanding and flexible with class schedules.

M
Productive environment
Receiving Lead (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 25, 2015
Fastenal is a growing company. It is a busy atmosphere with always something to do. I lead a small group of employees. We receive in product and move it where it is supposed to go. The hardest part of the job is training new employees on where things go. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing everything that we get accomplished at the end of our shift
Fastenal...
Sales Associate- Forklift certified (Current Employee), Downers Grove, ILMarch 24, 2015
Pros: flexiable hours, above min. wage pay, mon-fri
Cons: lack of management, lots to learn if you are not fimilar with the industry, poor advancement
I've worked at multiple stores and they've all had there upsides and down sides. They encourage you to transfer, then tell you you're not loyal enough for a promotion...
Challenging with lofty expectations if base plus comission is what's desired
Outside Sales Professional (Current Employee), Forsyth County, GAMarch 23, 2015
Outside Sales Position with the potential to grow business. The desire to grow business exponentially must be part of your mindset regardless of outside obligations or conflicts.
General Manager (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKMarch 22, 2015
Pros: freedom
Cons: pay
Great Company to work for. Only this company does not pay it's team a good compensation to work here for very long unless the person seeks advancement. Base salaries are well below average.
Great learning environment!
Sales Trainee (Current Employee), Lock Haven, PAMarch 22, 2015
It was a great place to start out at, I was able to learn a lot from great people. Easy to advance if you're doing your job and willing to relocate.
productive and moving work place
Material Handler (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 22, 2015
everyone there is great, good job security, always room for promoting within, well organized warehouses and hubs , training if necessary
Great people Great place
Inside Sales (Former Employee), Midlothian, TXMarch 21, 2015
Great coworkers got to work at 8 and was out the door by 5 what more can you ask for. I took care of the inside aspect of the store so I was pretty much by myself for 5-6 hours a day.
Poor comapny to work for
Sortation (Former Employee), Winona, MNMarch 19, 2015
Company does not care about the advancement or recognition of the hard work of their employees. Not a fun environment to work in.
Customer service and sales
General Manager (Current Employee), Commerce City, COMarch 18, 2015
Pros: seeing my customers on a daily bases
Cons: no lunch breaks, no real days off
Answer emails, phone calls, process orders. Check status of orders, Check in our daily delivery truck. Get orders ready for delivery. Check back orders. Call vendors. Cycle counts. Daily cleaning list. Help walk in customers. Check the PO match exception report, freight report. There are three employees at my branch. The hardest part of the day, is having no control of what our distribution center sends or not, and letting the customer know their order isn't in.
The best part of my job is taking the orders to my customers and helping them solve their problems, and wining their business.
Up and down
General Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 15, 2015
Pros: advancement
Cons: pay programs
You can move up quickly and increase your compensation but keeping it there is a struggle. The pay structures make it hard to grow your income year over year or even keep it consistent. You must move up or over in order to keep your pay the same. Great tools, great teaching/training, and decent structure.

About Fastenal

Some might say it has a screw loose, but things are really pretty snug at Fastenal. The company operates about 2,600 stores in – Read more

Fastenal Salaries