Fastenal Employee Reviews in United States

Sales and Management experience
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 22, 2015
A crash course in business. Learn the programs, the culture and be a go-getter. Think outside of the box and innovate. You will have success if you learn how to use the ever evolving system to your advantage. Stay engaged and always pay attention to market trends.
Good Company to Work For
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 30, 2015
The people at this job were great. Managers dealt directly with employees, knew them individually and even the plant manager was available at any time to address any issues. Not only were the managers at the hub involved with the employees, but the district and regional managers also made regular appearances. The effect on the employees was that of reassurance and genuine interest. It helped to give most people an incentive to care about their work.

They started with only a few warehouses, had over a dozen when I started, and today are one of the largest building supply chains in the US, complete with their own car on the NASCAR circuit. The model is different from the DYI home improvement chains, as they offer higher quality products, competitive prices and will deliver anything right to the job. Like a vending machine for nuts and bolts.

I learned a lot about warehouses and distribution at Fastenal. I learned how to drive a forklift, how to maintain an inventory, how products are shipped through local hubs and how to properly package items for delivery.
Pros
decent pay, great atmosphere, flexible hours, ability and encouragement to work in various departments
Cons
often worked Saturdays and Sundays(I enjoyed the work, but I believe this is the major cause of turnaround)
Sales Trainee
Sales Trainee (Current Employee) –  West Jefferson, NCApril 5, 2016
Great company and great position. It gives ample knowledge of a point of sale system and prepares for future success in the work world
Great people flexible schedules, no full time low pay.
Picker (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 1, 2015
Typical monotonous warehouse work, same thing day in day out, great people to work with tho, most of management are good people. Many times of year strict on productivity. no full time positions but management and drivers, low pay.
Pros
job with money
Cons
low pay no full time
An excellent work environment
Services Development Support (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNOctober 11, 2015
I absolutely love working at Fastenal. Industrial services is a goal driven environment that is oriented around the success of our team- and ultimately the success of the company. We all respect each other and do our best to provide satisfaction to the customer. My supervisors and manager really make it a point to get to know me on a personal level and do an amazing job at inspiring me to better myself and bring positive energy into the office every day. The hardest part of the job is making sure that everyone on the team across the country is on the same page; but, the best part is that our leaders can always clear up any misunderstanding.
Part time Sortation
Sorter/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 11, 2015
Very poor management, policies and rules changed daily. Communication didn't exist and neither did training. No breaks(even if you work a 12 hour shift), no benefits, low pay, heavy lifting, and lack of recognition/raises. I was told when I got hired we would be evaluated for raises every 6 months. I was in the top 3 for production percentages every month and only received one raise in 2 years. This place just likes to push around the guys that are lower on the totem pole.
Pros
schedule around lifestyle
Cons
low pay, poor management, little to no training, no benefits, no breaks, and lack of recognition/raises
General Manager
General Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoApril 28, 2016
I have looked at this job as a continued education in business because you are given the keys to operate the business almost entirely how you want to (within reason of course). The trade off is that you do not get paid particularly well for the insane amount of responsibility you have.
Pros
freedom
Cons
Pay
good company with the ability to advance if willing to re locate
General Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 2, 2016
self motivation required. must work well with others. management will sometimes encourage unethical business practices to complete a sale
Pros
ability to advance rapidly
Cons
pressure from management to reach sometimes unrealistic goals
worse company and reaaly bad managers and supervisors,bad hr dont even know what she doing
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTApril 12, 2016
worse company to work for,pay rate is low managers do what they feel like,no future for your expansion.u never wanna work with employees that vote union out by a large significant number.if u say your right u will get fired.
Terrible
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ALMay 6, 2016
Part time employment for Fastenal was by far the worst employer I've ever worked for in 40 years. Management delegates responsibilities, takes credit for work they didn't perform, and assumes no responsibility when their actions/decisions fail.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, no management support

Want to know more about Fastenal?

Ask a question
Hard driving profit making company
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJuly 15, 2015
Hard driving profit making company but the benefits that come with profitability do not trickle below the stock holders and management.
Pros
Driving new trucks
Cons
little training, 3rd shift delivery schedule
Energetic, fast paced atmosphere
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYMarch 8, 2016
Fastenal was an outstanding place of employment. I learned a great deal about the Sales industry and Tools! The most enjoyable part of this job was having so much freedom in providing customer service to the clients. I was really able to build solid relationships with the clients.
Excellent knowledge
Marketing / Sales Trainee (Current Employee) –  Forest, VAOctober 18, 2015
Fastenal is an excellent place for a college student to learn hands on business skill. Some of the key areas of experience that I have been exposed to are marketing, corporate finance, inventory management and sales.
Production with good bonuses
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2016
Come in talk to guy on the machine before me and ask questions about the machine and the assignment. I learn how to work on a landis machine and thread solid pipe bars. The company was manage right. No problems with my co-workers. The hardest part was getting my tools for the job. I enjoy going to work. I was not ask to do too much. I was ask to just do my job.
Not many opportunities for advancement.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXApril 22, 2016
I worked for Fastenal for nearly three years. I was even awarded the employee of the company as a part-time worker. I was recommended for full-time jobs, so I applied for them. I interviewed for six full-time positions but I was not hired.
Fun place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 29, 2015
Lots of things to do in the day, hardest part of the job was driving the forklift to unload the trucks, management was good.
Pros
Very willing to work with your personal life schedule
Cons
Judgment on situation sucks
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 6, 2016
I enjoy working for Fastenal. I've learned many new things since I have began working here. I feel very comfortable in this work environment.
Cons
They will only give me 28 hours a week
tiring but worth it
Picker (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSDecember 14, 2015
Fastenal was a great job that paid 10 and hour. I worked in the summer time so it was blazing hot. They provided water and popsicles, and had fans. I got paid bi weekly, and the pay checks were amazing for me. It was usually 600 to 700 dollars every two weeks.
Pros
The money is good, with friendly staff and great managers
Cons
Standing for long periods of time will take its toll
Good job for a student
Material Handler/Fork-lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 10, 2016
Fastenal is a good place to work for a student. They worked with me around my class schedule. It is face paced and required attention to detail and safety. The hardest part of the job was not being able to rely on co-workers to show up.
Worst place to work in the manufacturing department
Cnc machinist (Current Employee) –  Loves Park, ILNovember 12, 2014
If you want to advance it will not happen within this company. Always be early, work really really hard and you still won't get a raise.You can mess up 5000 parts(which I've seen)and only if your best friends(butt kisser) with the cnc manager will it be no harm done. The floor supervisor has a major drug problem, he will tell the manager employees are looking for drugs, whenever he feels he is about to get in trouble, we just lost an employee because of this. He left for 2 hours while still clocked in to go pick up drugs, he told management his daughter was really sick and needed him. How could management really believe that? He also has burglary convictions from 2 years ago, so they obviously don't backround check. If you want a steady job with potiential to advance fastenal is not for you.
Pros
you don't need any qualifications to get hired
Cons
pay, environment, management is uneducated, disfunctional.