Fastenal

Fastenal Employer Reviews

Fastenal
General Manager (Former Employee), Yuma, azNovember 5, 2014
Pros: training
Cons: short breaks
It's a good fast pace and mutli-tasking , since you are in charge of the people and sales. Fastenal gives you good knowledge all the way around from account payables to customer services.
Sales-current employment
Inside/Outside Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burnham, PANovember 4, 2014
Dealing with customers coming through the door and also on the phone. Helping them find merchandise they need and also ordering merchandise that they need. Scheduling meetings and going on sales calls with new and current customers. Making sure merchandise is prepared to go to customer. Delivering merchandise to the customer and taking what order they may need. Creating invoices and PO's for customer's when dealing with their account and billing. All in all, just trying to grow and make our company more successful every month by keeping our customers happy, obtaining the customers we have, and by growing with new customers.
Good place to gain experience, not to start a career.
Regional Sales Manager - FAST Solutions (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 4, 2014
Fastenal is a good company if you are looking for a "resume building" job out of college. They have such a high turnover rate that it makes it hard to build long term customer relationships. I gave Fastenal 6 years of my life starting as an internship and growing to Regional Sales Manager of their FAST Solutions program within 4 years.

After a few organizational changes and a new boss, they decided they could no longer afford my position and let me go. I guess building the #2 region in the company as well as developing the #1 and #3 sales rep in the company isn't good enough for Fastenal.

DO NOT work for this company. They do not care about the well being of their employees or their customers.

I am happily taking my skills and knowledge to an organization who values their employees.
Independent Work Environment
Account Specialist (Current Employee), Farmingdale, NYNovember 4, 2014
Each branch is run as if it is its own company, giving employees freedom to handle individual accounts as they see fit. Each employee has the buying power and distribution resources of a major corporation while providing customers with personal, strong customer service.
Fast paced environment
Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee), Cambridge, MDNovember 3, 2014
Pros: good management, and training.
Cons: hard to move up in the company.
I start the day by receiving a daily shipment in. Then I put stock away. After that I take care of any orders that need to be placed. Throughout the rest of the day I will take care of customers, phone calls, and take deliveries to customers.
This is an interesting and fast pace place to work.
Quoter/ Inside Sales (Former Employee), Winona, MNOctober 30, 2014
Pros: good pay, benefits, no overtime
Cons: management, lacking in communication, very difficult to get straight answers
I learned many new skills. Some skills I learned were: customer service, telecommunications and advanced multitasking. I enjoyed the people I worked with very much.
Dynamic Learning Enviroment
General Manager (Current Employee), Summerville, SCOctober 29, 2014
Pros: descision making abilities
Cons: pay
Good place to work. Everyday is different from the last with new challenges presenting themselves constantly. As a Branch Manager, I am given complete responsibility for the business unit and ability to control it like it is my own small business.

Responsibilities include: Employee Management/Training, Inside/Outside Sales, Purchasing, Inventory Management, Collections

The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part of the job, complete responsibility for all aspects of the business

I enjoyed training employees and seeing them get promoted from the skilled they gained while working with me
A leading company in Industerial sales
General Manager (GM)- Buyer, Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee), VTOctober 29, 2014
Pros: advancement
Cons: too much turn over
Good company to work for if you are just starting out in Sales
Don't waste your time!!
Outside Sales (Former Employee), Kerrville, TXOctober 29, 2014
Cons: management, you have to pay for your uniforms
This company is a joke. The general manager steals from the company, lies to costumers, and blatantly doesn't care about anybody but himself. The regional manager doesn't have a spine to do anything to him. They tell you that there are advancement opportunities but with the manager there now, don't count on it. The current manager uses the company truck for his own personal use and doesn't let the outside sales person do their job because he is always gone in the truck. This affects the pay of the whole team. As said before, unless they do something about the store manager, this place is a joke!
Starting Point
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee), NCOctober 27, 2014
Resume Builder, always looking for recent college grads. The amount of work that the branch manager and staff have on their plate is ridiculous.
Fastenal Sales Support
Sales Support (Current Employee), Warrensburg, MOOctober 26, 2014
A typical day includes servicing existing clients with custom product and implementation solutions to fulfill their needs.
A typical day at work
Outside Salesman (Current Employee), Amherst, NYOctober 26, 2014
Pros: networking, always out on the road meeting new people and learning what different industry needs are.
Cons: constantly cutting back commision
Day starts out at 7:30 a.m. and we receive the truck into our system. After that we check all back orders and continue to our Invoice process. After we print the invoices we deliver the product to our customers. After all the deliveries have been delivered outside sales will make their sales calls. Sometimes we eat lunch at the store, sometimes it is out on the road. Overall it is a fun day on the road earning business.
nice job
Sales Support (Former Employee), Shelby TwpOctober 24, 2014
easy going. had a horrible regional manager. a lot of calling people and getting shot down.
Laid Back but with no room to move up
Sales Support (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INOctober 23, 2014
Pros: laid back
Cons: low pay, not enough hours, dm wasn't the best
Worked there about 8 months, couldn't even get moved up to full time. They wont let their part-timers work more then 29 hours a week. Didn't get paid enough for everything that I had to manage.
Leaders in Micro-Managing
Outside Sales (Former Employee), UTOctober 21, 2014
Cons: work your "a" off for nothing
Please do not apply at Fastenal, unless you have a screw loose!!This company definitely has a screw loose!

You are expected to work form 7 to 5 M-F and do not get paid overtime. The base salary is ok, but the commission they pay is a joke. They say you can make up to 5%, but with all the things they use to go against you or penalize you for not have 100% rank on the lame scorecard is mind blowing. I never did understand the way they "made up" your grade on the scorecard & never had it explained to me in a way it made sense.

If you want to get into management do not do it unless you are 5 ft. tall & have an ego bigger than Alaska. They do not respect your opinion and think they are always right. If you have a less productive sales month they really come down on you like you are going to be the cause of the company going out of business.
Uptempo work place with rising expectations.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Findlay, OHOctober 21, 2014
Typical day or work requires allocating products for customers. Arrive at 6:30am and unload the product brought by the company semi. Deliver the product once it has been sorted and packaged. Great experience of sales from a part-time standpoint. Hardest part of the job is learning all of the different parts and product that Fastenal offers. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly environment that the staff offers.
Enjoyable with something new everyday
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee), Chehalis, WAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: salary and my awesome customers
Cons: unskilled upper management that did'nt accept accountability.
A typical day: Meetings, sales, receiving product, researching product for customers.

Learned: a good sales person listens 80% and talks 20% of the time. I also had to learn how to be a manager first and to keep drama to simmer.

Management: learning to multi-task and delegate. Not easy but I learned how.
Co-workers: We were all like family and with that we made a great team!
Hardest part of job: Being a manager first and a friend last.

most enjoyable part: My customers made everyday a blast! My co-workers made work easy.
Productive workplace with full gym and showers
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Jessup, PAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: free usage of the gym that was threre
Cons: having to work late hours
A typical day at work would include working in spurts and organizing things before it is actually time to load the trucks so there is a little bit of free times in between but if you don't use it wisely to get yourself ready then it will be a long hard night. I learned a lot while I was there I learned how to drive and operate forklifts I learned the differences with cdl and non cdl trucks and how they can and have to be loaded differently as far as the amount of weight is concerned. Management here was very fun to work with as well as understanding of particular situations that may arise when at a workplace. Hardest part of the job was being timed and having a very short window of how much time you had to load a truck sometimes but not all the times was it like that. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you were finished and you printed that ltr and the report was empty meaning that you did not miss anything.
Work like a slave for little to no pay
Key Account Buyer/Planner (Former Employee), Langhorne, PAOctober 14, 2014
Commission structure changed frequently and you could never get accurate figures to allow you to calculate your commission
Bad pay Bad hours
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee), Gilbert, AZOctober 13, 2014
Pay very little for working extra hours and generating leads.
Managemtn usually takes all good leads as their own

About Fastenal

Some might say it has a screw loose, but things are really pretty snug at Fastenal. The company operates about 2,600 stores in – Read more