Fastenal Employee Reviews

Competitive industry
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJanuary 5, 2018
Fastenal provides you with the sales tools to succeed in a competitive marketplace. The hardest part is gaining product knowledge in order to provide customers with answers they seek. Once you have a grasp on product and services you will then need to jump into a competitive field and win customers over. Depending on your book of business Fastenal can be a fast paced environment. If you are someone who likes a good challenge and are motivated by goals, there is a place for you at Fastenal. You work with team members to service customers and will rely on their help.
decent job to get life started
Salesman (Current Employee) –  Arvada, COJanuary 4, 2018
Learned quite a bit and was provided all the training you could want; however the pay was not the best. Enjoyed most of the people I work/worked with.
Pros
learning
Cons
pay
Very quick paced. Fun to work with a team. Managers are very nice.
RECEIVING LEAD (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 3, 2018
The typical work day goes by fast as indicated by the name fastenal. It is a very quick paced company with nice and set times for your hours. Everyone works together and it is very fun.
Pros
You work with people and soon become friends
Cons
Lots of work good to keep you busy
Learned a lot about office culture
NAFTA SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNJanuary 3, 2018
Learned a lot about office culture, but the pay was not good. Upper management would come to my University and talk a lot about how much you will learn about the job, but when I started working there they skimp out on pay.
Store Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Morris, ILJanuary 2, 2018
This is a good place to work and I would recommend it to someone else. Just looking for something new. Not as fast paced as I would like, slow moving.
fun place to work
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2018
i love working there nothing bad to say about it would tell anybody to work there its a really great company like it really is!its very down to earth and easy going
good
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 2, 2018
overall, a good place to work, just didn't pay very much. very flexible with hours though. great college job. management is excellent, coworkers easy to get along with, laid back but fast paced culture. and again, great management.
Work as a Team
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Sturgeon Bay, WIJanuary 2, 2018
My main job is to maintain the vending machine program at our Onsite. Using software I check on product that is below mininum or out of stock. I compile restock lists and then pick and deliver the items to each machine. I also check departments for needs of OEM parts and shop supplies. I create quotes for these items. I also take care of the OEM, shop supply needs and vending in a separate building. I take care of the supply, fastener and other needs of an adult workshop that does assembly for our customer. When in the office I wait on walk-in customers and provide quotes for tools, supplies and equipment.
Pros
Variety, Interesting
Cons
Low pay, delivery to other buildings is cumbersome
all aroud good job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNDecember 30, 2017
I was pleased with the amount of hours I got. had wonderful co workers. nice environment to work in. I absolutely loved my job, just could not work for them due to location
Typical Day
Shipper (Current Employee) –  Jessup, PADecember 30, 2017
Good bunch of people. Management is a good group. Everyone works well as a department to get the trucks unloaded and loaded on time for the drivers to leave.
shipping
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Jessup, PA 18434December 30, 2017
To advance in there company, you have to do a business plan. They take your ideas and never give anyone the job saying they have a hiring freeze. Management is all very young and never treat people professionally. Very low wage job with a lot expected out of you. They have a high turnover rate because they treat people very badly and push more work on you because they try to operate with skeleton crews because they can't get anyone to work there.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low wages, unprofessional management, no full time
Great workplace environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 26, 2017
Fastebal DC is an amazing workplace environment that allows you to work at your own pace to accomplish tasks. I learned new skills at this corporation that I will carry with me into my future careers and endeavors. The hardest part of the job was sustaining the energy desired to be productive over the course of long shifts. Management is great because they allow for flexible hours which works well for college students.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits for part-time
nothing exciting about the job
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, KYDecember 26, 2017
Madisonville, Ky location only, the store manager is a joke. He is lazy, a youtube watching dude that wants to talk about playing softball and how to take advantage of the customers. The two young staff workers support him and he supports them. Nothing professional in the business.
Pros
good customers
Cons
store manager... two staffers are immature
Relaxed, fast pace and stressful work environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Lake City, FLDecember 24, 2017
The Fastenal team was a great experience as it allowed my to gather experience in a wealth of different areas. With my desire to go into the logistical field Fastenal provided me with some experience in shipping, receiving, ordering, scheduling and 3pl/freight. With Fastenals reach up into Canada it is possible to have some experience in importing/exporting duties.

The largest issue with fastenal would be the training for Sales support/associate positions as you will be face to face with the customer. You will need to be a motivated individual as you will be required to learn the merchandise on the fly, best option is to start familiarizing yourself with the companies products. Fastenal does provide "Fasthelp" services if you run into issues but depending on your stores traffic that option may not be useful for you.
Pros
Experience, relaxed environment, no micromanaging
Cons
short breaks, large product line, playing it by ear.
Compensation
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 23, 2017
The pay could be better. The commission is not great and if you would like to move up in the company it would be hard to advance. The job is not hard but you do alot of extra work that you don't get paid for.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Hard to move up
Lacking structure
SALES SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, NY 14075December 23, 2017
Not a good company to work for. I was transferred after a couple months and promoted. Transferred back to my original branch a couple months later. Then demoted due to no fault of my own. Hours lowered. Hours raised, hours lowered etc. Very inconsistent and unprofessional. Don’t expect your hard work to go noticed here either.
They expect your soul
Corporate OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 22, 2017
Most positions at this company seems to require you to give your soul to them. Very high stress and a 24/7 commitment is expected. Company seems to be growing but at what cost to your work/life balance?
Advancement not there
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLDecember 21, 2017
You start out part time which is tough to manage your finances. You can definatly advance to outside sales. But good luck trying to get to the next level it's a good ole boy system. Many of the seasoned veterans at fastenal hire all of their family members and guess who gets the opportunity. Also the branch managers aren't there very often so guess what your carrying both badges and getting paid for one-which of course is the lowest paying one.
Pros
Insurance, no weekends
Cons
Horrible branch managers, dump district managers, low pay.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VADecember 20, 2017
There is plenty room for advancement. They promote from within the company. they provide plenty of training for employees. Management provides a clear path for employees to follow.
Pros
No weekends
Cons
10 hour work day
Long Days
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Gaffney, SCDecember 19, 2017
A typical day at Fastenal required the truck to be received everyday. You had a list of at least 20 people you had to make sales calls to everyday. The hardest part of the job is not being able to see the 20 different customers everyday. The best part is seeing them and getting them what they need.