FDH Velocitel Employee Reviews

Great company for traveling and benefits
NDT tech (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 14, 2016
i loved the travel aspect of the job as well as the ability to make your own hours and be your own boss so to speak. easy, for filling work with hours of paid travel time in between. i learned much about the geographical layout of the land as well as knowledge of cellphone towers and foundations. coworkers are well experienced and very nice people.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
cant really think of any
Long Hours, poor management
Field Engineer II/Crew Lead (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 25, 2016
A lot of the job was enjoyable but as a salaried employee you were often expected to work 50+ hours a week with no overtime compensation. When issues arose in the field, management had little or no help to give.
Pros
Decent pay, good coworkers
Cons
60 hour weeks when in the field
Assistant
assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 17, 2016
The growth potential is poor. You are promised advancements in your career in the beginning, but this fails to happen. You have a new manager every 6 months that asks you the same questions as the previous manager did.
Pros
Great colleagues, Good benefits, First Thursday Reboots
Cons
No advancement potential
Fun place to work.
Project Leasing Management (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORFebruary 1, 2016
Very fast paced and yet exciting. I love working with the people here at FDH. Unfortunately the compensation is not there but there are very knowledgable indivduals that steer you in the right direction if you're not afraid to ask. Self motivater and self start is a must.
Great work environment
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 16, 2016
Had great co-workers. Learned a great deal with the company. No room for advancement. Tower department was new to company and company needs to be reorganized.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Job security
Workaholic lifestyle
Top Hand/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis MNJanuary 7, 2015
On a typical day, we the crew, would put in 14 hour days, at which point the crew foreman would go back to the hotel and put in another 2-3 hours work on paper work. All of this together wouldn't be so bad if it weren't demanded 6 days a week, sometimes 7, 5 weeks at a time with only one week off to spend time with the family at which point, the crew foreman's phone would never stop ringing from upper management. All in all, the benefits were great, the pay was decent, but the lifestyle was harsh and draining.

I did learn a lot about how to keep a crew motivated day in and day out. Pep talks, learning to listen, providing constant updates to upper management, all the while getting my daily requirements and expectations met.
Pros
Per diem pay was excellent in comparison to other companies.
Cons
6-7 days a week, 5 week hitches with only 7 days home, two of which are used for travel to and fro.
Incredible Company
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 16, 2016
I would have never left FDH if I hadn't had to relocate for family reasons. Incredible company, people, and room for advancement!
Going down hill
Site Acquisition Manager (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNApril 30, 2013
Velocitel was a good company at the outset, but upper- and mid-management changes at the Eden Prairie office made the workplace intolerable for anyone with professional/marketable credentials. The office transitioned from a pleasant work environement to one where managers undermined staff morale. The strange part is that the weight on the shoulders isn't realized until one leaves. I have empathy for those good producers still there.

One more point--I saw the best people initially encouraged with increases in salary; BUT this quickly changed after the big contract was grasped. After landing the big contract, the company's corporate "leadership" began forcing the higher paid staff into corners. Some left on their own when undue pressures grew intolerable. Others were let go under scurrilous circumstances. Enter this company with your eyes wide open
Pros
Started out well
Cons
New "management" undermined staff morale
Lots of opportunity
Heavy Civil Project Manager II (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 29, 2016
There is a ton of opportunity to grow in this company if you are willing to work hard and start from the bottom. Work-life balance needs a good amount of work, but it is more the telecom industry's fault than FDHVs. Work can be monotonous at times. People are great.
Good experience
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 5, 2015
This company is a good employer if your single and want to travel and have decent compensation. Main focus seems to be on productivity and little on treating employees with the deserved respect.
Engineering company
Site Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMay 31, 2016
Nice place to work. Diverse group of people who seem to like working here being that the turnover rate isn't disproportionately high.
Faced pace enviroment
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDApril 22, 2015
As a contractor for AT&T, I was able to act as the liaison between the contractor and the client. I generated all reports and was very successful at promoting business for Velocitel.
Pros
Excellent benefits and advancement
Cons
High stress level
Good Company
Welder- Certified through Crown Castle (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 24, 2016
Good Company, More organization would help. My boss was very laid back and happy to answer any questios I had for him. Company talso provides you with good supplies for the job(I was a welder)
let down
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 23, 2016
The company is poorly managed and seems like no one knows what they are supposed to be doing. CEO wants to acquire more companies for growth. Some people are really friendly, but the environment is not conducive to grow professionally.
Pros
First Thursday Reboot
FDH Velocitel
Site Acquisition Lead (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 11, 2015
One of the worst managed companies I have worked for in the telecommunications industry. The terms accountability and good work environment are preached at this company but is not executed starting with the CEO down.

It is hard to work for a company were the CEO is looking to acquire more companies, cut the experienced team members and is just looking to sell the company. As well as it is hard to work for a CEO that has no experience in the telecommunications industry.
Cons
No management level support, no upper level management experience
Fun place to work
Tower Climber (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 10, 2016
Exciting place to work with exception that you are traveling away from home at least three weeks a month. Lots of hours and not much time off. Overall, the job is exciting and fun being 200 plus feet in the air on a tower.
Could be good
Field Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 2, 2015
I was pigeon holed into a position that just isn't very tolerable. I travel more than my original contract stated, I work 60 to 80 hours a week and receive no overtime, and I travel +95% of the year. In a different position this would be a great experience, but I'm not in one of those positions. The typical day would be trying to figure out where you are flying out to, since all travel notification is last minute. Then putting in another couple hours of drive time after a flight, then still be expected to do a couple hours of testing.
I haven't really learned anything that challenges my abilities, but the University of Missouri prepared me to take on this job easily. My coworkers are like brothers. It would be about the only thing that would keep me going on with this company. The hardest part of the job is not being home enough to take care of life's fun surprises. The most enjoyable would be building the camaraderie I have since most of the employees have some sort of military back ground
nice and cool, i will suggest other to try it .
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 5, 2016
tiger team is the most good experience i had with this company , ,warehouse manager and stuff are friendly .

too many bosses after they bought FDH and less work
Exciting and fast pace work environment
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 24, 2012
Working for VelociTel offered a wide variety of opportunities for advancement on a daily basis. I started with them through a staffing agency called Solus Technical Resources and was hired directly on after 5 months. I was sent to San Francisco as a Network Installation and Commissioning Field Technician.

Management was outstanding and I built a great report with all my managers and was constantly requested back in markets I previously worked in.

My co-workers were extremely knowledgeable and provided great support; which was beneficial in getting up to speed on each new project I was deployed too.
Pros
per diem and expenses were always covered
Cons
being away from home months at a time
Unstable environment, lack of management.
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  AZJuly 9, 2015
Management is lost and unsure of how, where, and what deadlines to proceed with. Work ethic starts to get out of control as managers throw project after project with no knowledge of how much hard works each project may need from the field position.

More people quit than hired, and more keep their position for less than a year unless they are already a manager.

No lack of company culture, treats employees like ants.
Pros
Free goods.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FDH Velocitel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9