Federal Bureau of Prisons Employee Reviews

Meh
Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 22, 2017
Inmates fine for the most part. Some really good staff, some once really good staff who have since burned out, and some staff are horrible but keep advancing. Workplace culture sucks.
Excellent job benefits-long term
Psychology Secretary (Current Employee) –  Butner, NCSeptember 22, 2017
A typical day at work was relaxed, but you never could predict what the day would be like. The hardest part of the job was staying away from stress issues.
Benefits
Cons
Alot of employees and very few job openings
Busy at all times. Big inmate population
Physician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 20, 2017
The Bureau of Prisons retire its Medical Doctors after 20 years of service. Reason why I am leaving my job.

Excellent job experience. I worked as a General Practitioner, which gave me the opportunity of working with emergencies, etc.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Retire Policy is very early
Good job, good people
Health Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2017
It was a good place to work because of the staff, but the policies and/or management were sometimes "iffy" causing occasional morale issues. And in some cases, it felt as though 30% of the staff did 90% of the work. However, the benefits cannot be beat and the union is a great resource for the staff. Overall, I think that the agency is a great place to work for. As long as you stay out of the "politics" of the office, it can be a great career choice and you will make life long friends.
Fun
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Lompoc, CA 93436September 18, 2017
I learned a lot on staying aware of your surroundings and react as quick as possible. I was able to meet a lot of great people who thought me how to speak to inmates etc.
I liked working for the Bureau,and would consider going back,but for now i am looking at different options.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCSeptember 17, 2017
nice place to work with the option to travel to another location in the bureau,management could be more creative when it comes to meal planning.The inmates do most of the work in the kitchen so your day is really doing production sheets and prep.
Pros
easy days, working off a 5 week menu
Cons
not having the the proper ingredients for most meals.
Productive, good pay and benefits.
Correctional Supervisor, Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Jesup, GASeptember 16, 2017
Overall a good place to work. Offer good career advancement and benefits. Received much training and management skills. Good platform to spring board into other agencies or careers.
Pros
High pay and benefits, unlimited promotional potential.
Cons
Schedule not flexible, micro managed. Managers have been known to operated out of their scope of employment.
Correctional Officer
Senior Officer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILSeptember 9, 2017
I loved working as a correctional officer. My reason for leaving the environment was because I was having medical issues at the time and I retired with disability. I am currently doing well, but still suffer from the occasional migraine from time to time and I do have a relapse with fibromyalgia. However, I am able to perform daily functions. I am just not able to protect myself or others in a prison environment from inmates if a situation would arise.
Pros
loved every minute of it
nothing
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Yazoo City, MSSeptember 7, 2017
I have nothiong to say about this agency. It was a life lesson about correction I want experince any more. Hopefully the agency will improve their management skills to help better staff.
Pros
Cons
a lot
Factory was dirty and lacked automation
Material Coordinator/clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Dix, New JerseySeptember 6, 2017
Worked in very tight areas. There was always debris on floor and pieces of small metal and plastic flying from one work table onto another. Many workers aren't trained properly; amking for a dangerous work environment.
Pros
short travel time
Cons
work environment was dangerous
Stressful environment.
Senior Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Welch, WVAugust 31, 2017
Stessful environment. Daily threat of physical harm. High level of mental stress. This carrer is not for everyone. Corrections Officers have a short life expectancy.
Correctional Environment is not for everyone
Information Technology Manager (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Berlin, NHAugust 26, 2017
Working in a Correctional Environment is not for everyone. I was lucky and had a great career and was able to retire at 52. I started as a Correctional Officer and was promoted through the ranks to become a Department Head for the Information Technology Department. The Bureau of Prisons is a great career for those that are looking for job stability and the ability to move to different areas of the country.
Pros
Upward mobility
Cons
Stressful at times, bad management at times.
Great paying job with great benefits but very stressful
Correctional Systems Officer (Current Employee) –  Forrest City, ARAugust 26, 2017
The job is great I enjoyed getting up and going to work. However, it appears that the way the Bureau works is to move up in management you have to know the right people or be someone how screws up all the time. Dealing with the management staff is often times the hardest part of the job.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
very poor managment skills
I enjoyed the challenges and the team work to build successful operations
Food Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 25, 2017
I appreciated the fact that hard work was recognized.
The ability to promote and move forward in your career was available for those that chose to move ahead.
Pros
Culture of success and advancement
Necessary but not desireable
Food Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CAAugust 22, 2017
The work at the Bureau of Prisons is a necessary but stressful job and not for the average individual. Advancement is limited and timed per government regulations.
Pros
Government Employment
Cons
Work Conditions
Location Matters
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 21, 2017
Great agency to work with when I began my career. Unfortunately, budget cuts have created a very dangerous environment for staff. Not enough training for new staff members and a high turnover rate. Prison overcrowding and funding drastically cut for day to day operations. The benefits are great but it comes down to your duty station if you enjoy where you work.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Very Great place to work for
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greenville, ILAugust 21, 2017
A typical day was to keep INMATES secure and safe. I learned how to manage INMATES. The work place culture is diverse in all acspect, in working with prison environment.
Productive Career base
CHIEF OF SECURITY (Captain) (Current Employee) –  FTC Oklahoma CityAugust 20, 2017
The Bureau of Prison has provided me with a great career with advancement and many opportunities throughout my 25 years. I have enjoyed the staff have worked with and for throughout my time with Bureau.
Pros
Benefits, pay and job security
Cons
Amount of hours
I work for the federal Bureau prison for 27 years I retire July 31 to go to something
Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRAugust 11, 2017
Typical day of work is unknown you work in the prison and anything can happen at any time. This job is not for everyone, But if you like fast-paced and you like law-enforcement is the best job security you'll ever have.
Decent place to work, poor conditions
Senior Officer (Former Employee) –  Florence, COAugust 9, 2017
A typical day was unlocking inmates and monitoring actions.
Issuing citations for unlawful actions, maintaining a safe environment, feeding inmates daily, and keeping inmates contained for the safety of the public.

I learned a lot about government computer systems and how to write memos and legal documents proficiently.

Most management did there jobs well, there were a few bad apples.

Co workers were great to get along with most of the time and the team atmosphere felt good.

Hardest part was dealing with unruly and physical inmates.

Best part was feeling a part of a big team.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Horrible inmates