Federal Bureau of Prisons

Federal Bureau of Prisons United States Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working the Prison systems
Correctional Supervisor (Former Employee), Danbury, CTApril 6, 2015
Pros: Great Jobs, Great People to work with.
Cons: None
I was a supervisor for 9 of the 13 years I worked there. I supervised staff and inmates and was responsible for ensuring the safety of everyone as well as making sure the institution ran smoothly.
Agency was ok
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Great Morale
Cons: Less supervisors input in promotion process
I enjoyed my time at the Bureau of Prisons. I especially enjoyed my working relationships with my co-workers and some supervisor.
Inturnship
Medical Assistant Extern (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 24, 2015
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: it was only short term
did a 10 week inturnship. Organized patient care assisted Doctors with patient prep and care.Was a tough work enviroment .Coworkers were great .would have liked to stay but it was a military faclity.
Provides a job security and it is a company where you can advance.
Drug Treatment Specialist (Current Employee), Petersburg, VAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, career advancement, and promotes equality.
Cons: Mandatory retirement at age 57.
Working in the Federal Bureau of Prison is challenging, but you can learn a lot and make a difference in the lives of others.
Accountant (Current Employee), Aurora, COMarch 21, 2015
Working at the federal bureau of prisons is a demanding yet satisfying job. Great opportunities for advancement as long as you are willing to relocate.
Worked as a Correctional Officer, Tool Room Officer
Tool Room Officer, GS (Former Employee), Tucson, AZMarch 21, 2015
Pros: working with different mainintenance fields
Cons: the stress of accounting for all tools daily and no breaks.
Duties as a Tool Room Officer I have the delegated authority to issue, receive, control, inventory, and secure tools. I am also in charge of implementing procedures for proper tool control according to the Correction Service Manual and under the direction of the Captain. I am also responsible for maintaining yearly and quarterly audits of all tools throughout the institution to include new tools that enter the institution. I have the general duty to monitor and enforce directives concerning tool control procedures by observing inmate activities, supervising tool use and inspecting work passes for accurate accountability of tools. I am also responsible for engraving all tools in each work location with an identification symbol which identifies the storage area of the tool when not in use. My duties also consist of maintaining all reports to include, Lost or Missing Tool Reports; Found Tool Reports; Requests for inventory additions or deletions; Purchase requests and receiving reports; Survey requests and reports; and other documents directly related to tool control procedures. As a correctional officer my duties consisted of communicating both oral and writing to assure my post is running smoothly. Train officers of lower grade levels by leading, guiding and advising them on procedures for job accomplishment, instruct inmates on institution rules and regulations, counsel inmates and resolve disputes, communicate with both public and staff. I received the Foreign Language Skills Award for my ability and willingness to speak Spanish in order to communicate with the inmate population. – more... Other duties consist of utilizing computer software, using Microsoft for logging count sheet, printing reports, post orders, record all necessary information legibly when making log entries and ensure they maintained. Edit all forms to include, Notification to Visitor, Incident Report forms, Work Request, Confidential, Reports, Security Reports and Memorandums. Utilize inventory and accuracy of Tool Room, inventor tools and equipment noting any discrepancies, also complete function checks and inventories of all weapons and ammunition. Responsible for thorough stand-up count of inmate accountability to prevent any inmate escape, conduct inmate checks to include urinalysis, breathalyzers, shake down of inmates living quarters for sanitation purposes and possession of contraband. – less
Great job!
Lieutenant, GL-11 (Former Employee), Yazoo City, MSMarch 7, 2015
Conducted security checks of buildings, cells, and perimeter fence at correctional institutions. Monitored Close-captioned television (CCTV) for violators of institutional rules. Separated and restrained combative inmates. Used two-way radio for day to day communication with other staff. Kept an accurate day to day log of activities. Conducted 30-minute radio checks to the Control Center during hours of darkness. Observed and reported inmates strange and unusual behaviors to supervisor. Detained inmate's visitor and notified outside Law Enforcement for violators of institutional rules. Conducted drug and alcohol tests on confined inmates. Applied hand and leg restraints on combative inmates. Conducted armed mobile and foot patrol duties at correctional institutions. Wrote and investigated numerous Report of Incidents.
Powerhouse Supervisor
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (Former Employee), Jesup, GeorgiaMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: rotating shift work
A typical day at work included ensuring the electric service, water service, sewage service and natural gas service stayed on line and functional. I operated and maintained 3 250 hp Scotch Marine Fire Tube Boilers, I also operated a 500hp Hurst Biomass Boiler. I worked with my supervisor to ensure all the utilities were operational to three federal prison buildings on our site.

I learned numerous skills electrical troubleshooting high pressure boiler controls, troubleshooting 500 ton Trane centrifugal chillers for air conditioning in the main facility. How to operate maintain and repair two Cummins 750kw emergency generators and to manually switch the transfer switch from Georgia Power to the generators during electrical power failures. I operated, maintained, and repaired three sewage lift stations to provide continual sewage flow to the three facilities on site.

I worked in the Powerhouse with four other supervisors who for the most part got along and cooperated to keep the facility operating at peak efficiency. We operated the powerhouse 24 hours a day / 7 days a week / 365 days a year.

The hardest part of the job was continually striving to keep unwilling inmate workers motivated to complete tasks.

The most enjoyable part of the job was impromptu cookouts and fish fries that my boss would organize during lunch some days. It was a real morale booster for all the staff in the Facilities Department.
Excellent place for advancement
Electrician (Former Employee), south carolinaMarch 3, 2015
Distribution center employees work together to provide the best products and service to our customers. Dedicated management and associaties.
Felt stuck in the job.
Janitorial Team Leader (Former Employee), Yankton, SDFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: good library.
Cons: sorta stuck in that job.
My primary duties related to getting the job done with the least amount of labor and overseeing the level of performance of my crew.
N/A
Labor Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: free lunch, accomidations
Cons: pay, lack of insurance.
Was not for me. Conditions were poor, pay very, very weak. Management was poor, supervisors were questionable at best. It was however a chance for personal growth.
New experience, environment.
Staff Psychiatrist (Former Employee), Coleman, FLFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: n/a
Good. Flexibility in the working time. Learned to deal with different type of Psychiatry patients. Team working oriented personal and
staff. Acceptable management. Some stressful situations due to the Inmates behavior.
Great Advancement
Health Information Technician (Former Employee), Lompoc, CAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: advancement
Learned a lot about the prison system. Worked with good people, wonderful parties. Great benefits. Lots of advancements
Great place to work.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Big Spring, TexasJanuary 27, 2015
Great place to work. Benefits are great. Work and Life balace was a little shaky only bc I had to travel an hr and a half to work.
Productive work evironment
Department of Justice (Current Employee), Butner, NCJanuary 26, 2015
My typical day at work is geared towards goal orientation and mission focused. As a manager I supervise 22 subordinate staff which can be a challenge at times, primarily dealing with the different staff personalities.

The best part of my job is bringing staff together to complete an objective.
Employed while in federal prison
Crew Member/Crew Leader (Former Employee), Greenville, ILJanuary 26, 2015
My experiences here allowed me to stay busy and productive. It also helped to enhance my work ethics and people skills.
ITS OK
CORRECTIONAL LIEUTENANT (Former Employee), NY NYJanuary 15, 2015
ITS OK BUT DIDNT LIKE BEING STUCK INSIDE A PRISON ALL CORRECTIONAL LIEUTENANT, FEDERAL BUREAU OF PRISONS YAZOO CITY, MS
(July 2010– August 2014)
• Served as shift supervisor providing guidance to subordinate staff of correctional officers.
• Took prompt and decisive action to determine the nature and cause of the emergency situations.
• Conducts briefings at the start of each shift to inform subordinates of pertinent facts or resident incidents, which may affect shift work.
• Reviews staff reports, ensures investigation of resident incidents, determining causes and resolves problems following established policies and procedures.
• Conduct investigations that require the existence of a criminal or administrative violation through the systematic search for evidence interviewing witnesses, and the use of other sources of information.
• Prepares and maintains complete records of the history of each case being investigated, preparing comprehensive documentation for the agency.
Correctional Officer
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), El Reno, OklahomaJanuary 13, 2015
My duties included managing inmate movement and behavior, conducting counts to ensure all inmates were in proper assigned areas. Conducting random searches for contraband such as weapons, drugs, and other nuisance contraband.
Unit Manager
Unit Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: 40 hours work week
Cons: highly stressful and fast paced dangerous enviornment
A typical work day consists of communicating with Executice staff. Dealing with inmate and thei family members. Resolving conflict. I've learned to be a good listener and to follow up on projects or issues without supervision. I've learned how to get the best out of my staff and inmates. I am a manager. I've learned management needs their subordinates to be able to trust them. I've learned my co-workers are their to assist me if needed. We're all on one team and sharing one common goal. The hardest part about the job is being all things to so many people. I have staff not in my area who will ask for my help before they go to their supervisor. The most enjoyable part about the job is working with people. I love my staff and my co-workers.
Maintain and secure inmates in a federal institution
Inventory Specialist/Contracting Officer (Current Employee), Bennettsville, SCDecember 26, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: work with inmates
-- Perform duties of a correctional worker
-- Must be able to communicate both orally and written with staff and inmates
--Perform security checks

1 2 3 4 5

About Federal Bureau of Prisons

From Club Fed to high security penitentiaries, the Bureau of Prisons (BOP) has its work cut out for it. The bureau's mission is – Read more

Federal Bureau of Prisons Photos