Federal Signal Corporation

Federal Signal Corporation Employer Reviews

Senior Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), University Park, IL.March 12, 2014
Pros: co worker support
Cons: management and company structure
This is a hands off type of work environment with management. Also, this job is very demanding when busy. The average person expecting one job role might not fit in to this business model. I found myself doing 3-4 different job roles. The tool & die shop as well as the sheet metal department was very helpful and knowledgeable about making and designing – more... products. – less
Enjoyed working at Federal Signal
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), University Park, IlJanuary 31, 2014
I advanced and moved to different departments and enjoyed my time at Federal Signal. Large mfg. company and when I worked there one of the best around. I learned the in's and out's of the manufacturing business from Human Relations, to credit, purchasing, the actual manufacturing, customer service, marketing and problem solving Great experience.
Can be an enjoyable work environment, or it could be frustrating
Corporate Contractor (Former Employee), University Park, ILAugust 26, 2013
Pros: frequent company events to advertise "make a difference"
Cons: the management largely makes decisions without telling those it impacts
So this company can be a great place to work and they have many really great people there. There is an abundance of opportunities to excel and to show management that you are a star employee.

However, the management at this company has a habit of not communicating between departments about changes they are making that directly affect those other departments.

As – more... for those who are contractors, be wary. I was supposedly being tasked with duties that were tailored to a permanent position that was going to be made available to Externals. When the time came though, I somehow didn't make the short list.

Kind of odd if you ask me since they had several very positive comments to say about me to my recruiter.

In the end though, I bear no malice and I wish the best for everyone there. – less
Rewarding work environment with high energy people
Director, Systems Integration (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2013
I have been groomed at this place with general management skills especially in day-day operations. I have been blessed to have great co-workers and a great staff on my team. We are a very outcome oriented organization that solves challenging issues driving customer satisfaction.
BAD HR
ANY (Former Employee), ILLINOISJuly 16, 2013
NOTHING LIKE A COMPANY TO NOT CALL AND LEAVE A POTENTIAL EMPLOYEE WAITING ABOUT A JOB HOW HARD IS IT TO TAKE FIVE MINUTES OUT OF A DAY TO SAY YES OR NO. ALREADY SOUNDS LIKE BAD COMMUNICATIONS FOR A COMPANY THAT DEALS WITH COMMUNICATIONS!!!!
Shop enviorment is poorly run
Manufacturing (Current Employee), HoustonJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: good health benefits and shop guys are good to work with, overtime
Cons: management, pay, bonuses, overworked
Pay for shop employees is way below market value and shop bonuses are not based on personal performance but based on markets, inventory and other BS shop guys have no control over. Managenent does not advance shop people but keeps them restricted when it comes to learning or moving up. . Shop is understaffed, office is way overstaffed. Not a place for – more... blue collars anymore, Even though they keep the company running. – less
Excellent company with work hard/play hard philosophy
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee), Ocala, FLNovember 9, 2012
Pros: freedom to set your own schedule
Cons: 90% travel
Incredible job with great learning opportunities! 90 % travel mandatory so not very conducive for family oriented individuals.
Productive Work Place
Data Entry (Former Employee), University Park, ILOctober 1, 2012
Pros: internships for children of employees; that are going to college.
Cons: internship is only for the summer.
Productive and professional work place. I learned about data entry, improved my typing speed, and gained some clerical experience. I also learned to finish big projects quickly and proficiently. My co-workers were nice and friendly. The most difficult part of this job was that it was a bit tedious at first, but after a while I got used to it. The most – more... enjoyable part was that I could come in and as early as I wanted for more hours. – less
Solid Company
Market Manager (Current Employee), IllinoisApril 28, 2012
Pros: great people that care about one another
Cons: many changes in management
Federal Signal is an ever changing environment that presents challenges and rewards.