Federal Signal Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Being a Part of Making a Difference with Great People
TEK Systems Employee (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILMarch 6, 2015
Federal Signal Corporation treated me very well. The co-workers and other employees all treated me with a spirit of compassion and were always willing to help. Both the managers and the clients appreciated the work performed for them. They had a new policy for the IT Department of needing a Bachelors Degree instead of Certifications which broke my heart as I am just starting my Bachelors Degree.
Pros
onsite diner, outside vendors brought in at discounts, 401k
Cons
it positions should have certifications instead of bachelors degrees
Midsize business with passionate people
Director of eLearning and Collaboration (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 25, 2015
Very much enjoyed everything about the business. I also enjoyed working with the selected array of dealers. I interacted with every facet of the business and felt respected.
Pros
great people and processes
Cons
difficult to impress corporate as a heavy manufacturer in the group
Long way to get there
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  UNIVERSITY PARK, ILApril 22, 2014
Great people managemment need some work on communicating to emplyees
Pros
great people
Cons
promotion tough
Senior Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  University Park, IL.March 12, 2014
This is a hands off type of work environment with management. Also, this job is very demanding when busy. The average person expecting one job role might not fit in to this business model. I found myself doing 3-4 different job roles. The tool & die shop as well as the sheet metal department was very helpful and knowledgeable about making and designing products.
Pros
co worker support
Cons
management and company structure
Enjoyed working at Federal Signal
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  University Park, IlJanuary 31, 2014
I advanced and moved to different departments and enjoyed my time at Federal Signal. Large mfg. company and when I worked there one of the best around. I learned the in's and out's of the manufacturing business from Human Relations, to credit, purchasing, the actual manufacturing, customer service, marketing and problem solving Great experience.
Can be an enjoyable work environment, or it could be frustrating
Corporate Contractor (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILAugust 26, 2013
So this company can be a great place to work and they have many really great people there. There is an abundance of opportunities to excel and to show management that you are a star employee.

However, the management at this company has a habit of not communicating between departments about changes they are making that directly affect those other departments.

As for those who are contractors, be wary. I was supposedly being tasked with duties that were tailored to a permanent position that was going to be made available to Externals. When the time came though, I somehow didn't make the short list.

Kind of odd if you ask me since they had several very positive comments to say about me to my recruiter.

In the end though, I bear no malice and I wish the best for everyone there.
Pros
frequent company events to advertise "make a difference"
Cons
the management largely makes decisions without telling those it impacts
Rewarding work environment with high energy people
Director, Systems Integration (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2013
I have been groomed at this place with general management skills especially in day-day operations. I have been blessed to have great co-workers and a great staff on my team. We are a very outcome oriented organization that solves challenging issues driving customer satisfaction.
Bad hr
ANY (Former Employee) –  ILLINOISJuly 16, 2013
Nothing like a company to not call and leave a potential employee waiting about a job how hard is it to take five minutes out of a day to say yes or no. Already sounds like bad communications for a company that deals with communications!!!!
Shop enviorment is poorly run
Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  HoustonJanuary 28, 2013
Pay for shop employees is way below market value and shop bonuses are not based on personal performance but based on markets, inventory and other BS shop guys have no control over. Managenent does not advance shop people but keeps them restricted when it comes to learning or moving up. . Shop is understaffed, office is way overstaffed. Not a place for blue collars anymore, Even though they keep the company running.
Pros
good health benefits and shop guys are good to work with, overtime
Cons
management, pay, bonuses, overworked
Excellent company with work hard/play hard philosophy
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLNovember 9, 2012
Incredible job with great learning opportunities! 90 % travel mandatory so not very conducive for family oriented individuals.
Pros
freedom to set your own schedule
Cons
90% travel
Productive Work Place
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILOctober 1, 2012
Productive and professional work place. I learned about data entry, improved my typing speed, and gained some clerical experience. I also learned to finish big projects quickly and proficiently. My co-workers were nice and friendly. The most difficult part of this job was that it was a bit tedious at first, but after a while I got used to it. The most enjoyable part was that I could come in and as early as I wanted for more hours.
Pros
internships for children of employees; that are going to college.
Cons
internship is only for the summer.
Solid Company
Market Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisApril 28, 2012
Federal Signal is an ever changing environment that presents challenges and rewards.
Pros
great people that care about one another
Cons
many changes in management

2.6