FEI Company Employee Reviews

Overall a good company to work for.
Sr. Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORAugust 10, 2017
The company was purchased in 2016, I do not have a review of the new corporation. I have been told by some of my previous coworkers the environment has changed since I left.
Decent job, but not for me.
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORAugust 3, 2017
I would not want to work there for a long period of time because not only did I have to commute far, but the supervisors were unreasonable about not allowing a half-hour window for arrival and departure time. That created stress before the work day even got started, and I could perceive no good reason for this. Additionally, many supervisors there were rude and confrontational. This was also an unnecessary source of stress. Otherwise, the work was fun and the team was great. The work was challenging and rewarding on its own. However, it seems that the supervisors just lacked the education and experience required to treat employees and colleagues with professional respect and compassion.
Pros
Challenging and Rewarding
Cons
Unreasonable Supervisors
I feell FEI is a good company and very friendly
Parts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hastings, NEMay 5, 2017
answer phones call help walk in customers get parts shipped out to customers from the orders I would get from our other warehouses . It was a good places to work employees were nice and fun. I think the lack of customers was the hardest.
Good work Life Balance
Sourcing Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORFebruary 15, 2017
I've worked in two departments and work with several others. Some have very good work/life balance. There is also wide range of managerial types and varying degrees of involvement with other sites (domestic and international).
Pros
good overall benefits package
Cons
salary is on low end of market and limited advancement opportunities
Great Tech, Terrible management, SALES DO NOT GO HERE!
Sales Manager/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2016
Fast paced and squeezed by mgmt.

Software division has many intelligent, kind, good people if you find yourself there. Hardware has some good apples and bad like any organization, however management is oblivious to politicians vs good folks and also turns blind eye to most unethical activities even if pointed out.

The reason I left though is because of managements corruption and commissioning rationale for sales staff. Firstly, they verbally PROMISED me that my commission rates on multi year contracts signed would be honored from year to year when comp plans were adjusted annually. Then when i signed the potentially largest deal in company history, they breached that verbal contract, pointing to their legal right of written contract rather than their ethical obligation of promise.

Further... as a more general problem... the commissions policy for sales is completely socialistic and counterproductive to sales objectives. Effectively, they reward the lazy or incompetent and punish their producers. If you produce few sales, they will lower your quotas and raise your commission percentage rates so that you can earn the same pay as the successful sales staff. If, however you are a top producer, they will raise your quota (by even larger % year over year since they think you are more competent). Okay, so they raise your quota, such is life right? But in this case, they also reduce your commission % so that you earn the same as those with easy objectives and less aggressive quotas. So, if you are a producer, you end up working evenings and weekends and sacrifice your
  more... life to earn the same amount as the guy on easy street that is failing.

This is a great company to work for if you are a mediocre or worse sales rep. IF you are a producer, stay away! You will find yourself making no rewards for your production and instead being penalized with additional workload.
Pros
Good technology, great place for a sales person that is not a producer
Cons
Lack of ethics in mgmt, Socialistic, Sales Producers Penalized Heavily
Good company
Full Time/Assembler (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 11, 2015
Fei is a good company to work at. They have really good benefits and good people to work with. The work day can get really busy most of the time.
FEI is a good place to work and the people are great.
Material Handler Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORAugust 1, 2015
FEI was a good company for me to work for. It gave me personal growth and satisfaction. It gave me the important opportunities for my personal life.
Fast paced, long days
Global Senior HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  HillsboroJuly 7, 2015
Good people, often unrealistic expectations, needs to be more team oriented. Lots of cultural differences that showed improvement but still a long way to go.
Pros
Good management team
Cons
Very little work life balance, turnover higher than it should be
fun place to work
Sr. Field Support Engineer/ Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 20, 2015
Depending on the issues, you could start as early as 630-7am. Learned a lot about TEMs and dual beams.Manager was based out of OR.
Good co-workers and an amazing product
Inventory Control and Warehousing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  HillsboroOctober 24, 2014
This job is very hectic. there is always plenty to do and on some days there is more than plenty. the employees work well together strive for the best costomer service. The managment will usually leave you alone as long as your doing well but if there is 1 incident they will be right there to micromanage until they feel things are good again. The hardest part of the job is handling the constant last minute demand from the field to get parts to them. The best part of the job is the friendly co-workers and their willingness to help.
Pros
Lots of work activites
Cons
Very little time to take breaks.

Want to know more about FEI Company?

Ask a question
Great Employer
Environmental, Health and Safety Paid Intern (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORAugust 27, 2014
This company have offered training to the skills that were needed for daily duties.
Choked by headcount, a team turns on itself
Material Handler Senior (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJune 25, 2014
FEI makes some impressive products, and I found it to be a good and meaningful place to work, for the first couple of years. Then the rot started setting in. Headcount was actively reduced, people were not replaced when they left, and outside entities were permitted to make labor demands upon the team without paying for them. Workload skyrocketed as business boomed, but headcount was choked off. Attitudes went from professional and generally upbeat, to gloomy, to suspicious and furtive and sullen over the course of the next couple of years. Then it got WORSE.

I can't speak for what happened (or may currently be happening) in other departments, but within my own, fratricide was the norm, and an informant culture blossomed. The weak on-site lead tried to compensate for their leadership inadequacies and lack of real power by stifling any attempts to help guide the running of the facility or its organization--lip service was paid to the notion of listening to the rest of us, but it always shook out the way the lead intended, and in no other way. The actual manager was apparently weary of hearing non-stop complaints from the real villains, and instead chose to join in the pummeling of their opponents as a means to shut them up.

It should be noted that I once considered both of these people friends. I shared political and social opinions with the lead, and a lot of background similarities with the manager, who was an old smoking buddy of mine in the years before accepting the role in my team. The poisonous atmosphere of that team turned them into creatures I found difficult
  more... to recognize by the end of my time there.

My experiences with this place actively degraded me. I became no better than my opponents as I became swift to anger, intolerant, and cold. I always owned my own faults and accepted my share of responsibility, but I never once saw any inkling in the opposition that they bore any responsibility of their own. For this, they have earned my censure and my contempt.

50% of my team were decent people. The other 50% were cronies who enjoyed taking overlong lunches together, spending too much personal time on the net, talking about the others behind their back, general catty and unmanly behavior, and the like. The only reason I know all of this is because these are exactly the sorts of things they alleged me to have been guilty of at one time or another, so I naturally had to start paying attention to their own behavior. They did not disappoint.

Early on in the headcount crisis, I tried on numerous occasions to get the team to see that complaints had to be lodged with our management in order to get anything done, but apparently too many people preferred to loudly play the martyr, because nothing ever happened. Lower-level managers continually bewailed their inability to affect any change in headcount, and the backbiting just went on and on.

I consider myself better off to no longer be associated with this company. I still believe in the promise of FEI, and I remain excited by the future that their clients are ushering in all around us. Some day, one of these clients is going to use an FEI tool to cure cancer or AIDS, and that's simply wonderful. But down in the trenches where the day-to-day support of the client happens, I am certain that the darkness lingers. And I am well shut of that.
Pros
First-class products that are literally changing the world
Cons
At one specific, off-site facility, should you choose to work there, you are entering the Heart of Darkness. And there's more than one Colonel Kurtz.
x
Senior TEM Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  OregonMay 12, 2014
Extremely poor management.
Poor communication through company, miscommunication between multiple managers, unfocused, ineffective management.
Pros
Advances in electron microscopy
Cons
Very poor management
Sourcing Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMarch 4, 2014
Work life balance great with cutting edge products. Advancement limited to none.
Good Place To Work
Software Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORFebruary 18, 2014
I was a contractor for 21 months. The working environment, the people, etc. are all top notch. Since I wasn't an employee I won't comment on compensation/benefits.

Advancement is definitely possible (I witnessed it), and employees tend to stay around for long periods (all but one of my immediate peers were there 4 years or more).
FEI Customer Service Warehouse
Material Handler Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, OR 97124July 20, 2013
Fast paced customer service team shipping and receiving parts around the world to help support customers' electronic microscope systems.

It is exciting to know I work for a company that helps further science to such a great degree.

Pros
learing oportunities
Cons
off-site warehouse conditions
Typical American Working Environment
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJuly 3, 2013
The FEI work environment is quite standard for American companies. Some effort is made to improve the quality of life for employees and working hours seem reasonable for most staff.

Pros
Generally make good and useful products
Cons
Salaries seem below industry standard, Interns are not given benefits and are almost never hired
Overal great place to work
Director of Technology (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORNovember 7, 2012
Good place to work with exciting technology. Fun projects in diverse application areas. Good benefits with great engineering team to work with. Sometimes require long hours during critcal phase of development efforts.
Pros
great technology to work with, very interesting stuff.
Cons
sometimes stressful with long hours.
great people there
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 11, 2012
Good group of people to woirk with. Great technology to advance your career
Pros
great people
Cons
nothing i can think of