FEMA Employee Reviews

Enjoyable but Unpredictable Work Environment
Emergency Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 15, 2017
FEMA provided an enjoyable work environment with thorough training. The staff is large, and it is generally friendly. Some days are extremely busy, while others are slow. The hours were easy to adapt to, but many will not find a 3:30 AM start time suitable. A mid-day and late day shift are available. The major drawback is the complete unpredictability as to an end date.
Pros
The pay is good with future opportunities available.
Cons
The job is temporary and ends with little notice.
Painful
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2017
Horrible management, incompetent manager, incompetent coworkers but a few were very good. Manager had several "hostile workplace" type complaints. She was fired after I left.
fine
Youth Lead- Disaster Outreach Services (Former Employee) –  Oso, WAMay 1, 2017
FEMA is an emergency management organization- if you are working for them, you know what you're getting into, and it is often very tough and very unpleasant work
Call center needs a morale boost. Management is unable to correctly project what they expect of their workers.
Reservist-On Call (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 20, 2017
FEMA's call center was in a limited location. There were insinuations of the center becoming permanent, and management did not disuade otherwise. It was this attitude that made individuals believe they may have a stable place of employment. However, this was not to be and it is this kind of attitude that really drove morale down.
Pros
Co-workers, Pay rate
Cons
Management, No advancement, limited job
selfless job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 10, 2017
Working hard hours and dealing with hard people most of the time but helping a life and a family after they have lost everything is worth it. the hardest part is the hours.
Great way of helping people
NFIP National Flood Insurance Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 6, 2017
Great job , As an employee you can take this job as far as your would like. You have an opportunity to help people who survivors and have been affected in an disaster of any kind .
i love the job cause if i am able to help someone in need of assistance i will do my best to help them.
Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 20, 2017
well in job that I do I take very serious I am a people person so dealing with people on the day to day basics, so I don't have a problem in that area. There are some days that is not as great as others days but as the employee I will and have to keep a smile on my face and try to help the need of the customers. Because the customer is always right.
Pros
when the day is smooth and hope for know angry cleints
Cons
when i have to deal with clients who wants help, but wont let me help them cause they sre so angry, Thats makes my day longer than it needs to be
Working with other cultures
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 20, 2017
Great place to work would be still there if job had not ended. A typical day is making the days count not counting the days. Diverse culture travelin
reservist
DAE Broadcast Operations ON-CALL (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 13, 2017
no direction too large of machine, not utilized for what I was hired for, sit in cube all day, being paid to do absolutely nothing, felt it is a dis-service to the American taxpayers.
Pros
Federal Government
Cons
No direction from management
Productive and Fast Pace
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDFebruary 28, 2017
Enjoyed helping clients get government assistance after losing their homes and personal belongings. Some calls were very emotional and you have to have patience with dealing clients that have lost almost everything.
Pros
Over night buy and overtime
Cons
Temporary position
Productive work place
temporary employee (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXFebruary 27, 2017
U worked here while most potions were temporary while disasters had occurred . I worked several disasters during my 5 years. I started in the mail room, then personnel and ended in Insurance. I was a mom with 3 small children and decided to be a stay at home mom. Part time I worked for my husband doing secretary work.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Temporary
A different job
Assisted Contracting Officer's Technical (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2017
It was a job. Alright place to work . Management was good. Used the skills I have to be a asset to the corporation. A typical day at work went by very fast.
11 years would go back
Network Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 16, 2017
I worked for this agency for 11 years and can say I would go back, Not to the same office because the management was a failure. But, I had great colleagues
It is a great agency to work for.
Logistics Specialist Reservist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 15, 2017
One gets the opportunity to work with a diverse team which provide an exchange of knowledge and views to the success of the mission.
Pros
Travel, meet new people enjoy the divers work team.
Cons
Attention to details.
Learn lots
Admin Specialist (Current Employee) –  Blythewood, SCFebruary 13, 2017
I absolutely love working with FEMA. I will say I gave the Job security a lower rating only because it depends on how long the disaster recover lasts (and how you sign up with them). If you're a local hire you'll most likely only be there for 3 - 4 months (could go longer). But you are offered to join with one of their staffing branches (FEMA Reservist, and two other I can't think of the name). Also, there is a chance State may pick you up. If you join FEMA staffing, you will "deploy" a lot, so don't join if you want to stay close to home. They do have some staffing where you can choose when and where you go.
The people I've worked with are great, come from all over the US, and the harmony of so many different back grounds and personalities is wonderful. Everyone wants to help you succeed, and is always willing to teach you something.
Pros
People, pay, opportunities
Cons
Length of job
Excellent company to work for , Co workers always willing to help and work as a team
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 10, 2017
Great Company to work for, Great Pay, Co- workers very helpful, hardest part of job was when the assignment ended. most enjoyable part of job was helping disaster victims, management was great.
Pros
The salary .Pay
Cons
When the assignment ended
productive day at fema
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work is answering phones and assisting individuals in disaster related areas. In spare time studied documents to get to know the information better and help memorize. The environment at FEMA is one of the best, never met an employee with a horrible attitude. Everyone in seemed to be so humble. The hardest part of my job was turning away someone because their state was not declared by the president, also if we did not assist with certain things that they needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was being in such a great environment with my coworkers.
Wonderful place to work
Recertification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 10, 2017
Management and staff were excellent to work with. If i didn't have to quit to relocate with my husband I would still be there.
Pros
good work place
Very nice place to work
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 7, 2017
I arrived at 6:30 a.m. For a daily review before starting work. This time was very helpful as we not only learned of new dates and information on the job, we talked with each other about things we learned. The cubes we were assigned to gave us plenty of room to work and listen to those calling in.The job was very structured and made me feel very positive.
Pros
Excellent working conditions, nice break room
Disaster inspection
Disaster Inspector-Reserve (Current Employee) –  USA territoryDecember 28, 2016
Inspect and check all damage from personal properties.

Refer to pay for damage caused by natural desaster, flood, tornados, earthquake, fire,