FEMA Employee Reviews

Typical Work Day
Internship (Former Employee) –  Bluemont, VAJanuary 8, 2016
I was able to obtain an internship with FEMA working at Mt. Weather in the Environmental Department. This was an opportunity to obtain credits towards my Bachelors Degree.
Logistics Systems Specialist - Reservist
Logistics Systems Specialist - Reservist (Current Employee) –  Emmittsburg MDJanuary 5, 2016
As a reservist, I am not in this environment day to day. When I was at training it was well put together and informative. I think the training prepare me for my deployment.
Disaster cleanup
laborer (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, NJDecember 8, 2015
This was a demanding position but it gave me a new perspective on the destruction brought about from a natural disaster. Everyday we saw something new and had to adapt to each situation.
Be productive and efficient
HPA 406 HM Eng. and Arch. Spec. (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 4, 2015
Organize work place. Grow and develop into the agency and apport effectively and courteous with coworkers. Maintain updated the information when it required.
Good way to do alot of traveling
Disaster Assistance Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2015
Helping areas that have been devistaded by disasters. Worked with public entities in receiving monies to help restore infrastructure, or to get reimbursed monies spent on repairs.
Pros
FEMA pays for hotel, rental cars, and you earn a perdium.
Great Experience At FEMA
Case Manager/Applicant Service Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 1, 2015
It is an rewarding experience as well as getting to travel within the US territories.

I highly recommend people to apply to FEMA.
Pros
Great staff to work with and rewarding
Cons
The management structure can be chaotic during the disaster time
Contractor
Emergency Responder (Former Employee) –  Paulsboro, NJNovember 15, 2015
FEMA is a great organisation but they needed a more hands on approach and should follow up with personnel after and incident
Pros
Experience
Perfect job for the cash strapped adrenaline junkies.
Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  French Quarter, LANovember 1, 2015
A very exciting job where I was able to help disaster victims by documenting their damage for the federal financial aid they applied for.
Very fast paced enviornment
Call Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDOctober 30, 2015
Fun place to work. I enjoyed talking with different people from all over the U.S. and being able to get them the assistance they need. Things could sometimes get hectic with the many different personalities in the workplace.
Productive and opportunity to learn something new every day
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIOctober 24, 2015
I could put together a set of pictures of the disaster area for use in any Power Point for meetings
I learned about preparing for disasters, what you should have in your home just in case.
The most enjoyable part was getting to know the people
HOUSTON TEXAS,MI
Emergency Management Inspector (Current Employee) –  HOUSTON,TEXAS AND MIAMI FLORIDAOctober 22, 2015
THE WORK I DID I ENJOYED BECAUSE I HELP A LOT OF PEOPLE...I GOT TRAVEL AND MEET A GOOD AND INTERESTING PEOPLE...AND COULD DO THE JOB WELL...
I WOULD TAKE CLAIMS ON DAMAGE HOMES AND I WOULD
ESTIMATE THE DAMAGE ON SAID HOME...
SEND THE TO FEMA...THE PEOPLE MOST WERE PROFESSIONAL...NO HOTELS ROOMS WERE TO BE HAD...SO I
HAD TO SLEEP IN A SHELTER THAT WAS FULL THAT WAS A HARDSHIP...I LEARNED PEOPLE WERE STRONG WHEN THEY HAD TO BE...THE MANAGEMENT WERE SO HELPFUL WHEN
CAME TO MY JOB...
Pros
I MADE A GOOD SALARY
Cons
I HAD TO SLEEP IN A SHELTER
very professional
Reservist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2015
Assisted clients who were in need of services in extreme situations.
Gathered information and forwarded data to colleagues in assisting clients.Sometimes worked under extreme weather conditions.
Felt a sense of accomplishment in helping others in time of need.
Excellent help for employees, caring atmosphere
Disaster Assistance Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2015
This is a great organization to work for!! I have learned many things in the 10 years of being a disaster assistant helping disaster victims.
Co-workers are the Best! The hardest part is the first 3 weeks working many hours... The most enjoyable part of the job was people with Fema and those we helped, as well as many perks!
Great experience and very diverse
CR Specialist (Community Relations Specialist) (Former Employee) –  Carolina PROctober 14, 2015
You meet passionate and discipline ppl who are willing to show you how to deal with every situation. The pay is great and the benefits are good too. You have to be willing to be on call and work 12 plus hours but is defenetly worth it.
Opinion
Community Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 11, 2015
This is opinion based and I feel that everyone has different experiences. I love fema and I feel every job is a right fit for someone
Great Organization
Logistics Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDOctober 1, 2015
A wonderful place to gain experience and skills serving your community and country. Great job advancement opportunities and the ability to learn from many professionals.
It was dangerous.
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXOctober 1, 2015
We put blue tarp on homes where shingles were blown away it was about speed but dangerous. It was fun when you got started you had a bunch of guys from fla with me but after someone died we started doing cleanout for the hurricane victims.
Pros
we had to provide our own transportation lunch and dormicle.
Cons
no healthcare
fun work place
Government Contractor (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 24, 2015
Great company to work for. Lots of travel . Helping people all over the world in their worst times after a major storm. My co-workers were great to work with.
Pros
Lots of income
Cons
A satisfying and rewarding job.
Disaster Reservist (Current Employee) –  Anyplace, USASeptember 11, 2015
Started with FEMA in 2005 just after Hurricane Katrina. Later returned to Louisiana for Hurricane Rita. The work isn't steady but it is very fulfilling.
Pros
Travel, meet and help people.....
Cons
Time away from family and friends.
A place for bettering yourself
Intern (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 8, 2015
This job gave me the opportunity to work on a couple of large projects on my own to determine how they should be done and to do almost everything on my own. My team was there to support me and I gave status updates to my supervisor in order to keep her in the loop and so they could properly evaluate me. This company will allow you to take training classes so long as it does not interfere with your regular work. Great company
Pros
great benefits. great training. great opportunities to work with others.

4.3