FEMA Employee Reviews in United States

Professional environment surrounded by competent people
Group Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2016
A typical day involves reporting status of group's production, challenges and accomplishments. I work on a number of issues that need additional documentation or clarification for processing as well as escalated issues that require management approval. I enjoy the work environment and management oversight as I am empowered to make daily decisions about my group as needed and have great support from management when issues require additional attention. The greatest challenges are maintaining the consistency of minimal errors, retention of qualified staff and the integrity of the database. I enjoy the job knowing that the end results of my efforts result in helping people.
Pros
No micromanagement
Productive environment
FCO Executive Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2016
Truly enjoyed working for agency. Great position in which I was able to help others, grow professional and interact with a diverse community.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Houston texas,mi
Emergency Management Inspector (Current Employee) –  HOUSTON,TEXAS AND MIAMI FLORIDAOctober 22, 2015
The work I did I enjoyed because I help a lot of people...I got travel and meet a good and interesting people...And could do the job well...
I would take claims on damage homes and I would
Estimate the damage on said home...
Send the to fema...The people most were professional...No hotels rooms were to be had...So I
Had to sleep in a shelter that was full that was a hardship...I learned people were strong when they had to be...The management were so helpful when
Came to my job...
Pros
I MADE A GOOD SALARY
Cons
I HAD TO SLEEP IN A SHELTER
Reservist - Validator & Site Inspections
Reservist Validator and Site Inspector (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 22, 2016
They have a new model. $16 hr is their entry pay. Appears management has failed to engage, train their staff and now are under scrutiny.

Their mission is honorable, but the organization appears to be spending big money, unnecessarily training which appears to be problematic in it self. They have this concept to hire almost anyone, no matter what their skill set are, almost like throwing mud against the wall and seeing what sticks. Unfortunately its your tax dollar they are spending.

I have substantial skills in a number of areas, computers, construction, insurance, due to wage structure they have difficulty maintaining qualified, competent people.

The Director is clue less, a political appointee with minnions who appear out of no where.
Pros
Mission
Cons
How they carry that Mission out.
Stable yet unstable work enviroment
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 21, 2016
I worked with FEMA for over a year and loved the people and quality of work there, but supervision was shaky. Everyone looked out for each other. Little backstabbing was prevalent. My supervisor had memory issues regarding remembering what he asked you to do and would micromanage you if you were doing something ELSE he forgot he asked you to do. He would get an attitude if you reminded him of his instructions he gave to you! Guidelines and protocol would change like the wind to fit upper management. Nothing was ever done the same twice. If you could adjust, FEMA was a wonderful place to work, but it had the potential to feel like riding a roller coaster.
Pros
pay, plenty of overtime during events and natural disasters, friendly work environment.
Cons
a lot of politics in the workplace, always changing protocol.
Great learning experience
Safety Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 8, 2016
Challenging conducted fire drills on monthly basis. Responded to emergencies involving FEMA employee injuries. Maintained injury and illness logs. Participated in meetings with other sections of FEMA including strategic planning. Inspections of AED functionality on daily basis. Determine suitability of temporary housing for FEMA field staff.
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
Waste of resources.
Federal Emergency Management Agency
Mass Care/Emergency Assistance Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2016
This job has allowed me to use all the various experiences I have gained through my professional career. I feel a great sense of pride in my work and satisfaction at the end of each day for having done my part to make the world a better place.
Great Experience At FEMA
Case Manager/Applicant Service Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 1, 2015
It is an rewarding experience as well as getting to travel within the US territories.

I highly recommend people to apply to FEMA.
Pros
Great staff to work with and rewarding
Cons
The management structure can be chaotic during the disaster time
Oriented and hard working staff
Continuity of Operations (COOP) Manager, 2013 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 5, 2016
Easily adapts to evolving priorities with the ability to maintain a high level of flexibility.

Positive and effective working relationships.
Pros
Teamwork and outstanding working conditions
Cons
Good way to do alot of traveling
Disaster Assistance Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2015
Helping areas that have been devistaded by disasters. Worked with public entities in receiving monies to help restore infrastructure, or to get reimbursed monies spent on repairs.
Pros
FEMA pays for hotel, rental cars, and you earn a perdium.
Great outfit
DISASTER INSPECTOR (Current Employee) –  Nation wideJuly 6, 2016
Complete and thorough outfit to work for utilizing personal skills coupled with complimentary back office staff. Locations nation wide responding to Presidential orders assisting applicants with much needed attention.
Stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Gallman, MSJuly 6, 2016
I only work with this office after Hurricane Katrina and it lasted a few months. Very stressful but yet rewarding. People came in and out filing claims for damages to their properties
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Productive and good work environment
Program Specialist, GS-9 (Current Employee) –  Headquarters, WAAugust 29, 2015
Team environment and overall great place to work.Fun work place with supportive management. Also, there are a lot of opportunities for career advancement.
Being Productive
Accountant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 5, 2016
1. Getting everything completed at the end of the day.
2. Taking on new projects is always a learning experience
3. Working close with management.
4. Encouragement to my co-workers.
5.Not completing a task.
6. Completing a task
A place for bettering yourself
Intern (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 8, 2015
This job gave me the opportunity to work on a couple of large projects on my own to determine how they should be done and to do almost everything on my own. My team was there to support me and I gave status updates to my supervisor in order to keep her in the loop and so they could properly evaluate me. This company will allow you to take training classes so long as it does not interfere with your regular work. Great company
Pros
great benefits. great training. great opportunities to work with others.
fun work place
Disaster assistant employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2016
the job was temporary as needed on call, but when I did work it was fun and exciting. if you're and looking for a job than this is a good one to have
Pros
temp
Cons
temp
When the Governor asks the President of the US for aid, the President gives FEMA bags of closely regulated money to help.
Retired Newark, NJ HS Principal; 31 years Sec Ed (Current Employee) –  Colts Neck, NJMay 4, 2015
The enjoyable part of FEMA is that no matter from what position, you are helping people "weather the storm".

There is NO typical day at work. NEVER. That is enjoyable.

Management is either "grass roots" or plucked from retirement in other fields. Another PLUS!
Pros
Doing a needed job when called.
Cons
No benefits.
Great experience and very diverse
CR Specialist (Community Relations Specialist) (Former Employee) –  Carolina PROctober 14, 2015
You meet passionate and discipline ppl who are willing to show you how to deal with every situation. The pay is great and the benefits are good too. You have to be willing to be on call and work 12 plus hours but is defenetly worth it.
Exciting
APPLICANT SERVICES PROGRAM SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Deployed in USAugust 12, 2015
I love assisting disaster survivors. I love my co-workers and all of the people that I get to meet. The hardest part of my job is leaving a disaster area. I have learned about Mobile Home construction, parish/county requirements for elevation, permits, ownership, insurance, haul/install, state lines, septic system requirements, well water requirements, DRC management, state laws, agency assistance and dealing with major disasters.
Pros
Experience of a Lifetime
Cons
Waiting
Deployment with FEMA DR 4145
LEP/ACN (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 19, 2014
As LEP/ACN Centennial, Colorado DR 4145

Research demographic and disaster latest situation. Research disaster awareness to assist the staff and the community. Travel long hours between Joint Field Operations Building and the assigned field. Coordinate with External Affairs Program Liaison as directed.

Hardest part of the job is being away from my family.
The most enjoyable part was working on behalf of the staff that is highly dedicated to disaster survivors.

Co-workers focus on the mission of the agency who work long hours daily to assist survivors their families, their business, and their city.
Pros
good salary, great work culture
Cons
being away from family for a long period of time

4.3