FEMA Employee Reviews

Empowerment
Advocate Head start (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, SCJuly 25, 2017
The key to success in my perspective is to feel empowered. To feel your contributing to something. That's what happens when you volunteer for FEMA you feel your life has purpose beyond your self.
Worked as a Federal Security Officer for FEMA sites after Hurricane Katrina.
Federal Security Officer (Former Employee) –  numerousJuly 10, 2017
Great hours (72-84 per week).
Was a contract job. This company (Paragon Systems) no longer exists.
Was a job I obtained after exiting the Army.
Worked in part with the Corps of Engineers in Mobile, Alabama.
Pros
Work hours.
Cons
Poorly managed.
Helping Others
Housing Advisor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 23, 2017
In this capacity, I assisted victims of Hurricane Rita. I thoroughly enjoyed helping others although they were experiencing very trying times in their lives.
Disaster response
Planner (Former Employee) –  USA and protectoratesJune 19, 2017
Typical Federal agency. Field force was professional and effective. DC management out of touch. Federal hiring and promotion guidelines are not followed.
Pros
Opportunity to help people in need
Cons
Low morale, ineffective management
Excellent Service to your Country
Reserve Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 16, 2017
It is estimated that each reservist will deploy to natural disasters approximately every 60-90 days. Deployments are for 36 days. FEMA offers train for pay one week out of the month; this provides you the opportunity to become qualified in all the required areas needed to perform your job.
An amazing work place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 15, 2017
Working at FEMA was such a great experience. I was able to help people in need during a hard time. I love the feeling knowing I ended the phone call helping someone out.
It's a boring job that isn't great
Corp Member | NCCC AmeriCorps (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 15, 2017
You spend a lot of time in the office staring a ta computer doing nothing. Someday you will do a lot and other times you wont do anything. I t really just depends on the job title. Wouldn't recommend it.
good place to work
Contractor (Current Employee) –  anywhereJune 14, 2017
you are gone for a period of time, but are compensative well, all expenses paid and per diem,

everything is provided you need to perform your inspections
Inspector Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MississippiJune 10, 2017
Supervised over thirty employees in debris clean-up during the hurricane Katrina disaster. Assisted in issuing tickets to truck who helped in the clean up. Provided accurate, detailed information to my superiors in a timely fashion.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
healthcare
safety work
Safety Specialist Hurricane Irene (Former Employee) –  albany nyJune 2, 2017
No Problems. I was able to do my job with minimal supervision. Iam a safety professional so nothing was a major challenge. I worked 8 hours per day 5 days a week.
Very fast pace
Call Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 31, 2017
Emergency call center - very fast paced. Work days flew by as very busy answering calls. Some mgrs very good - others not so much. Sometimes treated as if we knew nothing.
Enjoyable but Unpredictable Work Environment
Emergency Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 15, 2017
FEMA provided an enjoyable work environment with thorough training. The staff is large, and it is generally friendly. Some days are extremely busy, while others are slow. The hours were easy to adapt to, but many will not find a 3:30 AM start time suitable. A mid-day and late day shift are available. The major drawback is the complete unpredictability as to an end date.
Pros
The pay is good with future opportunities available.
Cons
The job is temporary and ends with little notice.
Painful
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2017
Horrible management, incompetent manager, incompetent coworkers but a few were very good. Manager had several "hostile workplace" type complaints. She was fired after I left.
fine
Youth Lead- Disaster Outreach Services (Former Employee) –  Oso, WAMay 1, 2017
FEMA is an emergency management organization- if you are working for them, you know what you're getting into, and it is often very tough and very unpleasant work
Call center needs a morale boost. Management is unable to correctly project what they expect of their workers.
Reservist-On Call (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 20, 2017
FEMA's call center was in a limited location. There were insinuations of the center becoming permanent, and management did not disuade otherwise. It was this attitude that made individuals believe they may have a stable place of employment. However, this was not to be and it is this kind of attitude that really drove morale down.
Pros
Co-workers, Pay rate
Cons
Management, No advancement, limited job
selfless job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 10, 2017
Working hard hours and dealing with hard people most of the time but helping a life and a family after they have lost everything is worth it. the hardest part is the hours.
Great way of helping people
NFIP National Flood Insurance Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 6, 2017
Great job , As an employee you can take this job as far as your would like. You have an opportunity to help people who survivors and have been affected in an disaster of any kind .
i love the job cause if i am able to help someone in need of assistance i will do my best to help them.
Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 20, 2017
well in job that I do I take very serious I am a people person so dealing with people on the day to day basics, so I don't have a problem in that area. There are some days that is not as great as others days but as the employee I will and have to keep a smile on my face and try to help the need of the customers. Because the customer is always right.
Pros
when the day is smooth and hope for know angry cleints
Cons
when i have to deal with clients who wants help, but wont let me help them cause they sre so angry, Thats makes my day longer than it needs to be
Working with other cultures
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 20, 2017
Great place to work would be still there if job had not ended. A typical day is making the days count not counting the days. Diverse culture travelin
reservist
DAE Broadcast Operations ON-CALL (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 13, 2017
no direction too large of machine, not utilized for what I was hired for, sit in cube all day, being paid to do absolutely nothing, felt it is a dis-service to the American taxpayers.
Pros
Federal Government
Cons
No direction from management