FEMA Employee Reviews in United States

fun work place
Disaster assistant employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2016
the job was temporary as needed on call, but when I did work it was fun and exciting. if you're and looking for a job than this is a good one to have
Pros
temp
Cons
temp
Great outfit
DISASTER INSPECTOR (Current Employee) –  Nation wideJuly 6, 2016
Complete and thorough outfit to work for utilizing personal skills coupled with complimentary back office staff. Locations nation wide responding to Presidential orders assisting applicants with much needed attention.
Stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Gallman, MSJuly 6, 2016
I only work with this office after Hurricane Katrina and it lasted a few months. Very stressful but yet rewarding. People came in and out filing claims for damages to their properties
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Oriented and hard working staff
Continuity of Operations (COOP) Manager, 2013 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 5, 2016
Easily adapts to evolving priorities with the ability to maintain a high level of flexibility.

Positive and effective working relationships.
Pros
Teamwork and outstanding working conditions
Reservist - Validator & Site Inspections
Reservist Validator and Site Inspector (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 22, 2016
They have a new model. $16 hr is their entry pay. Appears management has failed to engage, train their staff and now are under scrutiny.

Their mission is honorable, but the organization appears to be spending big money, unnecessarily training which appears to be problematic in it self. They have this concept to hire almost anyone, no matter what their skill set are, almost like throwing mud against the wall and seeing what sticks. Unfortunately its your tax dollar they are spending.

I have substantial skills in a number of areas, computers, construction, insurance, due to wage structure they have difficulty maintaining qualified, competent people.

The Director is clue less, a political appointee with minnions who appear out of no where.
Pros
Mission
Cons
How they carry that Mission out.
Stable yet unstable work enviroment
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 21, 2016
I worked with FEMA for over a year and loved the people and quality of work there, but supervision was shaky. Everyone looked out for each other. Little backstabbing was prevalent. My supervisor had memory issues regarding remembering what he asked you to do and would micromanage you if you were doing something ELSE he forgot he asked you to do. He would get an attitude if you reminded him of his instructions he gave to you! Guidelines and protocol would change like the wind to fit upper management. Nothing was ever done the same twice. If you could adjust, FEMA was a wonderful place to work, but it had the potential to feel like riding a roller coaster.
Pros
pay, plenty of overtime during events and natural disasters, friendly work environment.
Cons
a lot of politics in the workplace, always changing protocol.
Great learning experience
Safety Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 8, 2016
Challenging conducted fire drills on monthly basis. Responded to emergencies involving FEMA employee injuries. Maintained injury and illness logs. Participated in meetings with other sections of FEMA including strategic planning. Inspections of AED functionality on daily basis. Determine suitability of temporary housing for FEMA field staff.
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
Waste of resources.
Federal Emergency Management Agency
Mass Care/Emergency Assistance Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2016
This job has allowed me to use all the various experiences I have gained through my professional career. I feel a great sense of pride in my work and satisfaction at the end of each day for having done my part to make the world a better place.
Being Productive
Accountant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 5, 2016
1. Getting everything completed at the end of the day.
2. Taking on new projects is always a learning experience
3. Working close with management.
4. Encouragement to my co-workers.
5.Not completing a task.
6. Completing a task
Professional environment surrounded by competent people
Group Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2016
A typical day involves reporting status of group's production, challenges and accomplishments. I work on a number of issues that need additional documentation or clarification for processing as well as escalated issues that require management approval. I enjoy the work environment and management oversight as I am empowered to make daily decisions about my group as needed and have great support from management when issues require additional attention. The greatest challenges are maintaining the consistency of minimal errors, retention of qualified staff and the integrity of the database. I enjoy the job knowing that the end results of my efforts result in helping people.
Pros
No micromanagement
Productive environment
FCO Executive Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2016
Truly enjoyed working for agency. Great position in which I was able to help others, grow professional and interact with a diverse community.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Typical Work Day
Internship (Former Employee) –  Bluemont, VAJanuary 8, 2016
I was able to obtain an internship with FEMA working at Mt. Weather in the Environmental Department. This was an opportunity to obtain credits towards my Bachelors Degree.
Logistics Systems Specialist - Reservist
Logistics Systems Specialist - Reservist (Current Employee) –  Emmittsburg MDJanuary 5, 2016
As a reservist, I am not in this environment day to day. When I was at training it was well put together and informative. I think the training prepare me for my deployment.
Disaster cleanup
laborer (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, NJDecember 8, 2015
This was a demanding position but it gave me a new perspective on the destruction brought about from a natural disaster. Everyday we saw something new and had to adapt to each situation.
Be productive and efficient
HPA 406 HM Eng. and Arch. Spec. (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 4, 2015
Organize work place. Grow and develop into the agency and apport effectively and courteous with coworkers. Maintain updated the information when it required.
Good way to do alot of traveling
Disaster Assistance Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2015
Helping areas that have been devistaded by disasters. Worked with public entities in receiving monies to help restore infrastructure, or to get reimbursed monies spent on repairs.
Pros
FEMA pays for hotel, rental cars, and you earn a perdium.
Great Experience At FEMA
Case Manager/Applicant Service Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 1, 2015
It is an rewarding experience as well as getting to travel within the US territories.

I highly recommend people to apply to FEMA.
Pros
Great staff to work with and rewarding
Cons
The management structure can be chaotic during the disaster time
Contractor
Emergency Responder (Former Employee) –  Paulsboro, NJNovember 15, 2015
FEMA is a great organisation but they needed a more hands on approach and should follow up with personnel after and incident
Pros
Experience
Perfect job for the cash strapped adrenaline junkies.
Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  French Quarter, LANovember 1, 2015
A very exciting job where I was able to help disaster victims by documenting their damage for the federal financial aid they applied for.
Very fast paced enviornment
Call Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDOctober 30, 2015
Fun place to work. I enjoyed talking with different people from all over the U.S. and being able to get them the assistance they need. Things could sometimes get hectic with the many different personalities in the workplace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FEMA. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3