FEMA Employee Reviews

A different job
Assisted Contracting Officer's Technical (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2017
It was a job. Alright place to work . Management was good. Used the skills I have to be a asset to the corporation. A typical day at work went by very fast.
11 years would go back
Network Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 16, 2017
I worked for this agency for 11 years and can say I would go back, Not to the same office because the management was a failure. But, I had great colleagues
It is a great agency to work for.
Logistics Specialist Reservist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 15, 2017
One gets the opportunity to work with a diverse team which provide an exchange of knowledge and views to the success of the mission.
Pros
Travel, meet new people enjoy the divers work team.
Cons
Attention to details.
Learn lots
Admin Specialist (Current Employee) –  Blythewood, SCFebruary 13, 2017
I absolutely love working with FEMA. I will say I gave the Job security a lower rating only because it depends on how long the disaster recover lasts (and how you sign up with them). If you're a local hire you'll most likely only be there for 3 - 4 months (could go longer). But you are offered to join with one of their staffing branches (FEMA Reservist, and two other I can't think of the name). Also, there is a chance State may pick you up. If you join FEMA staffing, you will "deploy" a lot, so don't join if you want to stay close to home. They do have some staffing where you can choose when and where you go.
The people I've worked with are great, come from all over the US, and the harmony of so many different back grounds and personalities is wonderful. Everyone wants to help you succeed, and is always willing to teach you something.
Pros
People, pay, opportunities
Cons
Length of job
Excellent company to work for , Co workers always willing to help and work as a team
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 10, 2017
Great Company to work for, Great Pay, Co- workers very helpful, hardest part of job was when the assignment ended. most enjoyable part of job was helping disaster victims, management was great.
Pros
The salary .Pay
Cons
When the assignment ended
productive day at fema
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work is answering phones and assisting individuals in disaster related areas. In spare time studied documents to get to know the information better and help memorize. The environment at FEMA is one of the best, never met an employee with a horrible attitude. Everyone in seemed to be so humble. The hardest part of my job was turning away someone because their state was not declared by the president, also if we did not assist with certain things that they needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was being in such a great environment with my coworkers.
Wonderful place to work
Recertification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 10, 2017
Management and staff were excellent to work with. If i didn't have to quit to relocate with my husband I would still be there.
Pros
good work place
Very nice place to work
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 7, 2017
I arrived at 6:30 a.m. For a daily review before starting work. This time was very helpful as we not only learned of new dates and information on the job, we talked with each other about things we learned. The cubes we were assigned to gave us plenty of room to work and listen to those calling in.The job was very structured and made me feel very positive.
Pros
Excellent working conditions, nice break room
Disaster inspection
Disaster Inspector-Reserve (Current Employee) –  USA territoryDecember 28, 2016
Inspect and check all damage from personal properties.

Refer to pay for damage caused by natural desaster, flood, tornados, earthquake, fire,
Great experience
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 19, 2016
First, go into pre shift, learn about any changes made. Then go to your desk and begin to accept calls and help people. I enjoyed both experiences with this company!
meet many great people
Disability integration Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20024December 3, 2016
Love this job, great opportunity to meet some awesome folks, and do good work. Things change very quickly that is the only thing that is constant. You have to be flexible.
Pros
gratifying job
Cons
long hours, being away from family
Productive work place
manager in team manager's absence (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2016
Working for FEMA was a wonderful experience. I had the opportunity to help people who were really in need of assistance. Hurricane Katrina left people lives in such devastation, forcing them to relocate. To be able to find families temporary housing, and disaster assistance, made my heart feel good.
Pros
Helping People
Cons
Twelve hour shifts
Excellent Pay and Benefits
Local Hire/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXNovember 24, 2016
Great job and service to help people who suffered losses due to disaster. They reward you with excellent pay and medical benefits within a month, it reminds me of my past military life. Managers and trainers are always ready to offer training to ensure that we are providing fast and efficient support to the victims of disaster.
Pros
Plenty of overtime and excellent pay
Cons
working almost everyday and over 8 hrs
It was during the summer break so it was great to experience govt life
management support clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 21, 2016
It was a internship and I was able to help them with their 2008 leadership conference. I was a management support clerk. Really helped me get a feel for what working in a office is like.
Pros
Taught me a lot about office etiquette.
Cons
This was a great experience.
Fema
Public Assistance Site Inspector Reservist (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 14, 2016
FEMA is a great organization to work for. The mission to help others on their worst days. Gives you a proud feeling to help people in need.
Pros
well compensted for disaster phases
Cons
long deployments away from family (months at a time)
very productive job
Site Inspector (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 8, 2016
to maintain and make sure the victims of an major disaster are taken care of by insuring them that everything will be ok. also to inspect all damages caused by the storm.
had fun every day
Clean up crew (Former Employee) –  Brimfield, MAJuly 28, 2016
cut trees watch volentiers. like to work out doors. i wuz my own boss got my work for the day and went and did my job no hasels
Pros
loved the work
Cons
no more work
fun work place
Disaster assistant employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2016
the job was temporary as needed on call, but when I did work it was fun and exciting. if you're and looking for a job than this is a good one to have
Pros
temp
Cons
temp
Great outfit
DISASTER INSPECTOR (Current Employee) –  Nation wideJuly 6, 2016
Complete and thorough outfit to work for utilizing personal skills coupled with complimentary back office staff. Locations nation wide responding to Presidential orders assisting applicants with much needed attention.
Stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Gallman, MSJuly 6, 2016
I only work with this office after Hurricane Katrina and it lasted a few months. Very stressful but yet rewarding. People came in and out filing claims for damages to their properties
Pros
Free lunches