FEMA Employee Reviews in United States

A place for bettering yourself
Intern (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 8, 2015
This job gave me the opportunity to work on a couple of large projects on my own to determine how they should be done and to do almost everything on my own. My team was there to support me and I gave status updates to my supervisor in order to keep her in the loop and so they could properly evaluate me. This company will allow you to take training classes so long as it does not interfere with your regular work. Great company
Pros
great benefits. great training. great opportunities to work with others.
Productive and good work environment
Program Specialist, GS-9 (Current Employee) –  Headquarters, WAAugust 29, 2015
Team environment and overall great place to work.Fun work place with supportive management. Also, there are a lot of opportunities for career advancement.
Good for starters
Department of Homeland Security Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 13, 2015
Great understanding of the general over site of Homeland Security as well as the risk analysis side of planning an execution.
Exciting
APPLICANT SERVICES PROGRAM SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Deployed in USAugust 12, 2015
I love assisting disaster survivors. I love my co-workers and all of the people that I get to meet. The hardest part of my job is leaving a disaster area. I have learned about Mobile Home construction, parish/county requirements for elevation, permits, ownership, insurance, haul/install, state lines, septic system requirements, well water requirements, DRC management, state laws, agency assistance and dealing with major disasters.
Pros
Experience of a Lifetime
Cons
Waiting
Productive and fun workplace
Gulf Coast Special Project (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSJuly 31, 2015
I enjoyed my job, got to meet some amazing people and help them to get back on there feet from Hurricane Katrina. Learned a lot of new skills on the computer. Got along with my co-workers and was a team player.
Very busy and sometimes stressful environment.
Registration Intake / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 24, 2015
At times I want to cry listening to some of the stories. I loved it because I felt like I was giving back and helping those in need. If I could do it again, I would.
Pros
Met a lot of interesting people
Cons
The long hours
Fast work environment, large work force and sometimes hectic.
Help Line Call Technician (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDJuly 14, 2015
The hardest part of the job was separating your personal feelings about people who were affected by Hurricane Katrina disaster and support them in the areas we were train.
Pros
high productivity
Cons
short lunch breaks
Good temp position
Temp Storm Monitor (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCJuly 8, 2015
I enjoyed working with the company
It was a different type of employment that I was used too
You inter-act with a lot of different personalities
There wasn't an hardest part of the job for me
The most enjoyable part of the job was the money especially here
in the south
Pros
the pay
Cons
it was temp position
Serving my country in Homeland Security.
Emergency Management Specialist. (Current Employee) –  Arlington, Va.July 8, 2015
Each day is different- a good thing. Sometimes I'm teaching RAD. EMERG. PREP . courses out in FEMA's 10 Regions, sometimes I'm acting as theTHD Professional Development Training Coordinator. I am very well trained (in the US NAVY and Civilian worlds) in CBRNE, and taught same. I have over ten (10) years teaching / instructor experience in the USN (total of six years at US NAVAL ACADEMY, three years teaching experience of high-school aged young people, a few years as an Adjunct Professor at a JUCO, and over over fourteen years teaching Sailors, Marines and Merchant Mariners about Homeland Security matters. I have taken six (of seven) courses on "Improvised Explosive Devices (IED's) from the DHS' "Office of Bombing Prevention (OBP) as well as many FEMA courses on Emergency Management, particularly in the field of Radilogical Emergency Preparedness (REPP).
Pros
Diversity of Daily Schedule, Teaching, working with SMART People.
Cons
Less Imaginative people are easily scared. New ideas not quickly embraced.
Government
Logistics Planner, DHS (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 18, 2015
Politically charged challenging environment. Offered disaster management and logistics planning experience. In steady-state time project management and system development were my focus.

Want to know more about FEMA?

Ask a question
floodcleanup
Flood Clean Up Worker (Former Employee) –  VernoniaJune 16, 2015
work with the cities crew cleaning up after flood using citys equipment. learn various jobs a public works employee does during the day. start learning how torun the waterand waste water plants
Pros
workexperience
Cons
job to short
Fun place
Logistics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 11, 2015
Enjoyed working with consolidated liked working on the dock moving freight. always new training classes to attend and they provide all tools needed to do your job.
helping others in tragic situations was rewarding
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2015
Working for FEMA was so rewarding knowing I was doing something good for people who were in a horrible situation. I loved helping out others and hearing the joy in their voices when something so tragic had happened.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Hearing all the Scams for assistance.
Fast paced work environment
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 26, 2015
I took calls from victims of natural disasters. Fast paced and stressful. supervisors micro-managed. Hard to get breaks.
I enjoy working for FEMA. It is fast paced and satisfying!
Computer network specialist (Current Employee) –  TN, KY, WI, MN, AL, NJ, OK, NMMay 20, 2015
I work as disaster employee. At the start of a disaster we work 12 hour days 7 days a week. I am fascinated with computers and networks. The FEMA extended family is very supportive and helpful!
Pros
Great work and people!
Cons
Only work as needed.
When the Governor asks the President of the US for aid, the President gives FEMA bags of closely regulated money to help.
Retired Newark, NJ HS Principal; 31 years Sec Ed (Current Employee) –  Colts Neck, NJMay 4, 2015
The enjoyable part of FEMA is that no matter from what position, you are helping people "weather the storm".

There is NO typical day at work. NEVER. That is enjoyable.

Management is either "grass roots" or plucked from retirement in other fields. Another PLUS!
Pros
Doing a needed job when called.
Cons
No benefits.
Overall a good work place
Tier 1 Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 27, 2015
The FEMA location I work out of is a call center so my day-to-day tasks have to deal with me speaking with customers on the phone trying to resolve their technical issues. The management is overall very good at reporting issues with us and working with the employees on scheduling. The hardest part of the job is the knowledge base and getting a general understanding of everything we handle. In reality it's simple tasks but very much information to learn and know how to execute properly. The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity FEMA provides for teleworking. I am thankful I am able to work from home.
Pros
Free lunches, Telework
Cons
Short Breaks, Work Load
Hard working individuals
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincroft, NJ 07738March 18, 2015
For a Temporary assignment, the experience was
great. I learned all about saving your house
if another storm comes thru NJ.
Helping others Recover their Homes and Lives
Disaster Housing Inspector (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 8, 2015
The hardest part of my job is the emotional needs of someone that has lost all of their valuables and structures, post disaster. Helping new inspectors to understand the program as well as having confidence to perform daily tasks is a servant leadership style I adhere to.
The most enjoyable part of my job is education the public on Mitigation techniques that can possibly save them from future hazards and the stress of possibly losing personal memories or material items. Recovery and preparedness are important to learn.
I have learned in the last ten years that this job is very important for the individuals that have post disaster needs and helping them recover is work that is most rewarding to both my job and their lives.
Pros
helping post disaster victims recover
Cons
being blamed for assistance they cannot acquire 100%
No SOP( Standard of Procedure) will be enforced
Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Selma, ALMarch 3, 2015
There has never been a procedure so there fore rules changes daily. The moral on this job is very poor. I have learned a lot on this job and learned to take on new jobs everyday. The most enjoyable thing about this job is knowing we are helping people in need of a home to live in.
Pros
some good people to work with
Cons
never know if you will have a job from day to day

4.3