FEMA Employee Reviews

Helping and lending a hand
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Berryville, VAFebruary 14, 2015
Speaking with disaster victims scheduling inspections for real and personal property. Then speaking with apps insurance company making sure that we don't pay the same items that they are paying for. And if that happens then Recouping the funds given. Forwarding that information to the proper financial department for further assistance. Making payment to the applicant in need making sure that they have the funds to purchase items to make the home sanitary,safe,secure
Pros
computer programming tester
Cons
changing of guidelines for the same disaster in different states
Never been called out yet.
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 11, 2015
If I was called up, I would be on the help desk. Someone would call in about a problem and I would tell them how to fix the problem.
Pros
got to travel
Cons
no enough work
Intence
Inspector ID (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 26, 2015
If one likes to travel and stay in hotel's this is a job for them.
Pros
helping people
Cons
paying for everything out of pocket.
Management in finance lack integrity
Account Technician (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 22, 2015
The management from the top down lack integrity. It is a good old boy network for management hiring friends and spouse's friends. It tries to keep anyone that isn't what they want then to be from advancing.
Cons
management is untrustworthy
Already reviewed
Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 2, 2015
Conduct complex criminal investigations of violations of Federal disaster programs. Types of investigations: FEMA program grant fraud, insurance fraud, financial fraud, mail and wire fraud, false statements, theft of government equipment, product substitution, employee misconduct, and money laundering
Pros
same as before
Cons
same as before
Awesome
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 2, 2014
I looked forward to going to work everyday just because it was fun. On top of that I was able to help a hurricane victime everyday.
Rewarding job
Manager and Transporter of disaster relief pods (Current Employee) –  Houston TexasNovember 11, 2014
A lot of driving was part of the job. I got to see a lot of America. The hours were long. Not enough sleep etc. The pay was well worth it.
Pros
great pay and benifits
work depends on disasters
CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  variesNovember 4, 2014
working with new Microsoft Tablet challenging. Pay and reimbursements excelent
Community Relations specialist
Community Relations Specialist. (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 2, 2014
Disaster Recovery assistance is an emotional event, and the satisfaction of success balances the extreme hours needed to complete the process.
Pros
personal contacts with the affected.
Cons
extreme hours in the 84 hr work week
Typical day
Temporary Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXSeptember 30, 2014
Working at FEMA is great!!!! It's a government job, very easy, and if you like talking to people and helping them you will do fine here!!!
Pros
great pay, great people, great atmosphere, great communication and management!!
Cons
contract position not a temp to hire
good job
Flowback /helper (Former Employee) –  TXSeptember 12, 2014
A long but very good day ,how to be a ledder and work my way up,they have very good management,good work place ,was working night ,good pay
fast-paced workplace
GIS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 4, 2014
Generating large and small-scaled maps to management.
Accomplished every training goal for my position.
Management was always busy. One was often left to find solutions on one's own.
Co-workers were very competitive.
The hardest part was keeping all of the balls in the air.
The best part was knowing that your efforts made a difference.
Pros
new computerrs and software
Cons
lifers
Daily phone contact with disaster victims, assisting them in getting much needed help for reorganizing their lives.
Bilingual Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Juan, Puerto RicoAugust 31, 2014
Developed and oversaw the Initial Disaster Assistance Registration Procedure that expedited the review and management of requests for disaster assistance.
Pros
harmony between staff members and excellent benefits
Great job to work
DISASTER ASSISTANCE EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 14, 2014
The job is very demanding but rewarding. 10-12 hour day 7 days a week was a mental and physical challenging. The rewarding part was helping others in need.
Pros
helping others in need
Cons
not enough work ( no hurricane, no work)
attentive to details
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 11, 2014
This position required me to supervise and monitor the removal of any tree debris of the disaster relief of hurricanes. I would drive to different location that was affective by the hurricane. Some of the affected areas were on school premises so it was vital to have a clean record. Once I arrived at to my location I proceed to tag and mark all the trees that I saw that was of hazard. The crew that I was in charge over would meet me at these locations and I would supervise all activity and removal of the debris, insuring all debris was properly removed. I had to accurately track and log with a handheld GPS all accordance’s. This insured that no fraudulent action would take place from my crew. It was also my obligation to write and distributing ticket for each debris removal. All tickets insured the worker would get payment for the work they provided.
Pros
pros promotion and pay
Cons
cons you have to wake up very early
Hectic call center
Human Service Specialist II/Asst (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDAugust 5, 2014
I was glad FEMA provided training.. to process claims for payment.

Bad hours.
Senior Environmental Engineer – roles included: NEPA Task Force Leader, Senior Environmental Specialist.
FEMA Technical Assistance Contractor (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJuly 21, 2014
• Processed 234 applications for public assistance in NJ. Reviewed each application for compliance with federal, state and local environmental laws; this required knowing the laws and understanding the project impact.
• Coordinated with the three internal divisions at the FEMA disaster office: Public Assistance, Hazard Mitigation and Environmental. Interfaced with 33 environmental staff and 3 FEMA divisions to understand the problem, apply the technical engineering issues, resolve the conflict and satisfy the environmental laws pertaining to the proposed construction.
• Resolved policy issues that arose as a result of the disaster. Analyzed the issue, applied the regulations and developed a policy for the construction to proceed.
• Invited speaker for FEMA three-day training course on Floodplains and Wetlands. These areas involve the base flood elevation, velocity zone and development in the floodplain. This expertise was utilized in policy development on floodplains.
Pros
great work environment, able to help people
I absolutely loved working for FEMA!
Housing Advisor/Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSJuly 14, 2014
Working for FEMA was a wonderful experience, I was able to assist my clients with a new residence, if needed. I like to make people feel special and appreciated.
Pros
health benefits, flexible hours
Cons
the assignment ended
FEMA is great
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 23, 2014
The companies which contract with FEMA are not always great. You have to ask around to find a good one. The one I was with was pretty good, but management was a bit lacking. Work/life can be obviously quite imbalanced during a disaster.
Pros
flexible and on-call possible.
Cons
can be 24/7.
Good job on an introduction level for federal work
Hazard Mitigation (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJune 5, 2014
Job, was easy, low stress, but demanding. Management seemed to all be friends and a click was present.

4.3