FEMA Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place
Logistics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 11, 2015
Enjoyed working with consolidated liked working on the dock moving freight. always new training classes to attend and they provide all tools needed to do your job.
helping others in tragic situations was rewarding
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2015
Working for FEMA was so rewarding knowing I was doing something good for people who were in a horrible situation. I loved helping out others and hearing the joy in their voices when something so tragic had happened.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Hearing all the Scams for assistance.
Fast paced work environment
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 26, 2015
I took calls from victims of natural disasters. Fast paced and stressful. supervisors micro-managed. Hard to get breaks.
I enjoy working for FEMA. It is fast paced and satisfying!
Computer network specialist (Current Employee) –  TN, KY, WI, MN, AL, NJ, OK, NMMay 20, 2015
I work as disaster employee. At the start of a disaster we work 12 hour days 7 days a week. I am fascinated with computers and networks. The FEMA extended family is very supportive and helpful!
Pros
Great work and people!
Cons
Only work as needed.
When the Governor asks the President of the US for aid, the President gives FEMA bags of closely regulated money to help.
Retired Newark, NJ HS Principal; 31 years Sec Ed (Current Employee) –  Colts Neck, NJMay 4, 2015
The enjoyable part of FEMA is that no matter from what position, you are helping people "weather the storm".

There is NO typical day at work. NEVER. That is enjoyable.

Management is either "grass roots" or plucked from retirement in other fields. Another PLUS!
Pros
Doing a needed job when called.
Cons
No benefits.
Overall a good work place
Tier 1 Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 27, 2015
The FEMA location I work out of is a call center so my day-to-day tasks have to deal with me speaking with customers on the phone trying to resolve their technical issues. The management is overall very good at reporting issues with us and working with the employees on scheduling. The hardest part of the job is the knowledge base and getting a general understanding of everything we handle. In reality it's simple tasks but very much information to learn and know how to execute properly. The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity FEMA provides for teleworking. I am thankful I am able to work from home.
Pros
Free lunches, Telework
Cons
Short Breaks, Work Load
Hard working individuals
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincroft, NJ 07738March 18, 2015
For a Temporary assignment, the experience was
great. I learned all about saving your house
if another storm comes thru NJ.
Helping others Recover their Homes and Lives
Disaster Housing Inspector (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 8, 2015
The hardest part of my job is the emotional needs of someone that has lost all of their valuables and structures, post disaster. Helping new inspectors to understand the program as well as having confidence to perform daily tasks is a servant leadership style I adhere to.
The most enjoyable part of my job is education the public on Mitigation techniques that can possibly save them from future hazards and the stress of possibly losing personal memories or material items. Recovery and preparedness are important to learn.
I have learned in the last ten years that this job is very important for the individuals that have post disaster needs and helping them recover is work that is most rewarding to both my job and their lives.
Pros
helping post disaster victims recover
Cons
being blamed for assistance they cannot acquire 100%
No SOP( Standard of Procedure) will be enforced
Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Selma, ALMarch 3, 2015
There has never been a procedure so there fore rules changes daily. The moral on this job is very poor. I have learned a lot on this job and learned to take on new jobs everyday. The most enjoyable thing about this job is knowing we are helping people in need of a home to live in.
Pros
some good people to work with
Cons
never know if you will have a job from day to day
Highly skilled work place where staff was willing to train
Administrative Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2015
Responding to emails, processing travel documents and training in the financial section. Printing necessary financials and posting them;
Pros
excellent work atmosphere
Cons
job didn't last long enough
Great Working Environment and Great Mission
Disaster Survivor Assistance Employee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2015
Early in the Disaster Recovery Operation and for perhaps as long as 6 weeks be willing to work 10-12 hour days 7 days a week. The focus is always on the survivors while ensuring a safe working environment for the employees. Everyone puts in these hours willingly knowing that we are helping people and families reclaim a part of their lives. FEMA flexible is the mantra as all employees are able and willing to change direction at a moments notice in order to be where the need is the greatest. Teamwork is crucial and the organizational structure makes it easy for everyone to work well together. Training is also available for anyone looking to improve their skills.
Pros
supportive hierarchy, good training, great people
Helping and lending a hand
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Berryville, VAFebruary 14, 2015
Speaking with disaster victims scheduling inspections for real and personal property. Then speaking with apps insurance company making sure that we don't pay the same items that they are paying for. And if that happens then Recouping the funds given. Forwarding that information to the proper financial department for further assistance. Making payment to the applicant in need making sure that they have the funds to purchase items to make the home sanitary,safe,secure
Pros
computer programming tester
Cons
changing of guidelines for the same disaster in different states
Never been called out yet.
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 11, 2015
If I was called up, I would be on the help desk. Someone would call in about a problem and I would tell them how to fix the problem.
Pros
got to travel
Cons
no enough work
Intence
Inspector ID (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 26, 2015
If one likes to travel and stay in hotel's this is a job for them.
Pros
helping people
Cons
paying for everything out of pocket.
Management in finance lack integrity
Account Technician (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 22, 2015
The management from the top down lack integrity. It is a good old boy network for management hiring friends and spouse's friends. It tries to keep anyone that isn't what they want then to be from advancing.
Cons
management is untrustworthy
Already reviewed
Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 2, 2015
Conduct complex criminal investigations of violations of Federal disaster programs. Types of investigations: FEMA program grant fraud, insurance fraud, financial fraud, mail and wire fraud, false statements, theft of government equipment, product substitution, employee misconduct, and money laundering
Pros
same as before
Cons
same as before
Awesome
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 2, 2014
I looked forward to going to work everyday just because it was fun. On top of that I was able to help a hurricane victime everyday.
Rewarding job
Manager and Transporter of disaster relief pods (Current Employee) –  Houston TexasNovember 11, 2014
A lot of driving was part of the job. I got to see a lot of America. The hours were long. Not enough sleep etc. The pay was well worth it.
Pros
great pay and benifits
work depends on disasters
CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  variesNovember 4, 2014
working with new Microsoft Tablet challenging. Pay and reimbursements excelent
Community Relations specialist
Community Relations Specialist. (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 2, 2014
Disaster Recovery assistance is an emotional event, and the satisfaction of success balances the extreme hours needed to complete the process.
Pros
personal contacts with the affected.
Cons
extreme hours in the 84 hr work week

4.3