FEMA Employee Reviews

Very fast paced enviornment
Call Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDOctober 30, 2015
Fun place to work. I enjoyed talking with different people from all over the U.S. and being able to get them the assistance they need. Things could sometimes get hectic with the many different personalities in the workplace.
Productive and opportunity to learn something new every day
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIOctober 24, 2015
I could put together a set of pictures of the disaster area for use in any Power Point for meetings
I learned about preparing for disasters, what you should have in your home just in case.
The most enjoyable part was getting to know the people
Houston texas,mi
Emergency Management Inspector (Current Employee) –  HOUSTON,TEXAS AND MIAMI FLORIDAOctober 22, 2015
The work I did I enjoyed because I help a lot of people...I got travel and meet a good and interesting people...And could do the job well...
I would take claims on damage homes and I would
Estimate the damage on said home...
Send the to fema...The people most were professional...No hotels rooms were to be had...So I
Had to sleep in a shelter that was full that was a hardship...I learned people were strong when they had to be...The management were so helpful when
Came to my job...
Pros
I made a good salary
Cons
I had to sleep in a shelter
very professional
Reservist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2015
Assisted clients who were in need of services in extreme situations.
Gathered information and forwarded data to colleagues in assisting clients.Sometimes worked under extreme weather conditions.
Felt a sense of accomplishment in helping others in time of need.
Excellent help for employees, caring atmosphere
Disaster Assistance Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2015
This is a great organization to work for!! I have learned many things in the 10 years of being a disaster assistant helping disaster victims.
Co-workers are the Best! The hardest part is the first 3 weeks working many hours... The most enjoyable part of the job was people with Fema and those we helped, as well as many perks!
Great experience and very diverse
CR Specialist (Community Relations Specialist) (Former Employee) –  Carolina PROctober 14, 2015
You meet passionate and discipline ppl who are willing to show you how to deal with every situation. The pay is great and the benefits are good too. You have to be willing to be on call and work 12 plus hours but is defenetly worth it.
Opinion
Community Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 11, 2015
This is opinion based and I feel that everyone has different experiences. I love fema and I feel every job is a right fit for someone
Great Organization
Logistics Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDOctober 1, 2015
A wonderful place to gain experience and skills serving your community and country. Great job advancement opportunities and the ability to learn from many professionals.
It was dangerous.
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXOctober 1, 2015
We put blue tarp on homes where shingles were blown away it was about speed but dangerous. It was fun when you got started you had a bunch of guys from fla with me but after someone died we started doing cleanout for the hurricane victims.
Pros
we had to provide our own transportation lunch and dormicle.
Cons
no healthcare
fun work place
Government Contractor (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 24, 2015
Great company to work for. Lots of travel . Helping people all over the world in their worst times after a major storm. My co-workers were great to work with.
Pros
Lots of income
Cons
A satisfying and rewarding job.
Disaster Reservist (Current Employee) –  Anyplace, USASeptember 11, 2015
Started with FEMA in 2005 just after Hurricane Katrina. Later returned to Louisiana for Hurricane Rita. The work isn't steady but it is very fulfilling.
Pros
Travel, meet and help people.....
Cons
Time away from family and friends.
A place for bettering yourself
Intern (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 8, 2015
This job gave me the opportunity to work on a couple of large projects on my own to determine how they should be done and to do almost everything on my own. My team was there to support me and I gave status updates to my supervisor in order to keep her in the loop and so they could properly evaluate me. This company will allow you to take training classes so long as it does not interfere with your regular work. Great company
Pros
great benefits. great training. great opportunities to work with others.
Productive and good work environment
Program Specialist, GS-9 (Current Employee) –  Headquarters, WAAugust 29, 2015
Team environment and overall great place to work.Fun work place with supportive management. Also, there are a lot of opportunities for career advancement.
Good for starters
Department of Homeland Security Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 13, 2015
Great understanding of the general over site of Homeland Security as well as the risk analysis side of planning an execution.
Exciting
APPLICANT SERVICES PROGRAM SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Deployed in USAugust 12, 2015
I love assisting disaster survivors. I love my co-workers and all of the people that I get to meet. The hardest part of my job is leaving a disaster area. I have learned about Mobile Home construction, parish/county requirements for elevation, permits, ownership, insurance, haul/install, state lines, septic system requirements, well water requirements, DRC management, state laws, agency assistance and dealing with major disasters.
Pros
Experience of a Lifetime
Cons
Waiting
Productive and fun workplace
Gulf Coast Special Project (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSJuly 31, 2015
I enjoyed my job, got to meet some amazing people and help them to get back on there feet from Hurricane Katrina. Learned a lot of new skills on the computer. Got along with my co-workers and was a team player.
Very busy and sometimes stressful environment.
Registration Intake / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 24, 2015
At times I want to cry listening to some of the stories. I loved it because I felt like I was giving back and helping those in need. If I could do it again, I would.
Pros
Met a lot of interesting people
Cons
The long hours
Fast work environment, large work force and sometimes hectic.
Help Line Call Technician (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDJuly 14, 2015
The hardest part of the job was separating your personal feelings about people who were affected by Hurricane Katrina disaster and support them in the areas we were train.
Pros
high productivity
Cons
short lunch breaks
Good temp position
Temp Storm Monitor (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCJuly 8, 2015
I enjoyed working with the company
It was a different type of employment that I was used too
You inter-act with a lot of different personalities
There wasn't an hardest part of the job for me
The most enjoyable part of the job was the money especially here
in the south
Pros
the pay
Cons
it was temp position
Serving my country in Homeland Security.
Emergency Management Specialist. (Current Employee) –  Arlington, Va.July 8, 2015
Each day is different- a good thing. Sometimes I'm teaching RAD. EMERG. PREP . courses out in FEMA's 10 Regions, sometimes I'm acting as theTHD Professional Development Training Coordinator. I am very well trained (in the US NAVY and Civilian worlds) in CBRNE, and taught same. I have over ten (10) years teaching / instructor experience in the USN (total of six years at US NAVAL ACADEMY, three years teaching experience of high-school aged young people, a few years as an Adjunct Professor at a JUCO, and over over fourteen years teaching Sailors, Marines and Merchant Mariners about Homeland Security matters. I have taken six (of seven) courses on "Improvised Explosive Devices (IED's) from the DHS' "Office of Bombing Prevention (OBP) as well as many FEMA courses on Emergency Management, particularly in the field of Radilogical Emergency Preparedness (REPP).
Pros
Diversity of Daily Schedule, Teaching, working with SMART People.
Cons
Less Imaginative people are easily scared. New ideas not quickly embraced.