FEMA Employee Reviews

Great job
CEO Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 15, 2014
Supervised approximately 60 employees. Communicated to the team the assignment, project, problem to be solved and deadlines and time frames for completion. Monitored and reported on the status and progress of work, checking on work in progress and reviewing completed work. Prepared reports and maintained records of work accomplishments and administrative information, as required. Managed and coordinated large project activities and developed tactical plans to support project success. Responsible for the implementation and coordination of Mitigation programs in support for the long-term recovery process. Developed goals and objectives for unique disaster related projects. Enhanced outreach activities that increased the public’s awareness of mitigation opportunities. Established and maintained a strong working relationship with community groups and members of the general public to enhance relationships with FEMA to increase effectiveness in communicating loss prevention, NFIP and mitigation program goals. Maintained contact with Mitigation Division, Headquarters and Regional staff to plan, coordinate and organize special events concerning mitigation in communities.
Pros
helping people
Cons
a disaster has to happen
N/A
Professional Geologist, Licensed Well Driller (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 10, 2014
Work was as a FEMA contractor in Florida during and after hurricanes in 2004.
Exciting and constantly changing work environment
Community Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 4, 2013
Great opportunity for self starter person, able to work alone and unsupervised.
We were sent into the field after the Super Storm Sandy disaster, with a set number of required tasks to complete by the end of the day, every day.
It was wonderful to work at my own pace and handle each situation as it came up.
The hardest part of the job was seeing all of the devastation left by the storm and knowing that people died in the same areas that I was now working. Very sobering, very challenging, very humbling. There was a lot of need for emotional comfort and normalcy by the survivors of the disaster.
Pros
excellent opportunity to be compassionate and human
Cons
hard to see the destruction of so many peoples' lives
Care for people
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Anniston, ALDecember 3, 2013
Good interaction with people and an advocate for patients. Learning is a ongoing experience. Good team work in all areas of work. Great management. I enjoy all aspects of nursing and the interaction with patients and their families.
Was fun place to work, travel, met many interesting people
Disaster Assistance Employee (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 2, 2013
My day was mainly helping people in need a place to live or financial help in rebuilding . People I worked with were dedicated to helping disaster victims. The best part of this job was the look on someones face when they realized we could really help
Pros
good pay
Cons
only work when there is a disaster
Fun work place
Logistics Specialist-Help Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington DCNovember 25, 2013
All walks of life co-workers from all around the world. Nice teamplayer
Pros
co-workers and managerment
Cons
temporary work
Helped Disaster Victims
Hurricane Disaster Specialist (Former Employee) –  Worked while in Massachusetts for 6 monthsNovember 24, 2013
Reviewed the ways FEMA and the Red Cross could help individuals in the affected parts of the country handling an emergency situation. In addition gathered individual information on each situation for government database utilization.
Pros
new experience in direct emergency situations
Cons
income not enough for long term expectations
Exiting
Cadet (Former Employee) –  Deploy to disaster areaNovember 21, 2013
Been on call 24/7, under pressure, one on one contact with disaster survivors, providing the best customer services to people in need.
Pros
fema support to deploy employees.
Cons
many moths away from family
Great experience working on this project during a time of devastation in New York.
Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 14, 2013
This was a field work position where I was required to adminster counseling services in different settings of people who were impacted by Hurricane Sandy.
Pros
free metro cards, compensation was good.
Great organization
Logistical Support (Former Employee) –  Altadena, CAOctober 31, 2013
I love helping people, and working at FEMA, it have me to do what I like to do.
Data entry (Former Employee) –  PROctober 23, 2013
Was a temporary. I enjoyed to help people. It was very flexible one.
Overall review
SECURITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 16, 2013
My overall review of my section within FEMA is somewhat favorable however job security isn't very strong and neither is advancment potential.
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
not having a good feeling of support from management
Rewarding position working with Disaster Victims
Data Processing Specialist/Manager (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXOctober 9, 2013
A typical day at work starts at between 7:00-7:30 a.m. and during start up will last for 12 hrs. 7 days a week. I have learned that you must have compassion and patience and love working with people of all types. My co-workers are from different parts of the United States and Virgin Islands and we all have the opportunity to make new friends. The hardest part of the job is saying goodby and the most enjoyable part of the job is to see the smile and receive hugs from those I am able to help.
Pros
seeing parts of the united states that i would not have the opportunity to do otherwise.
Cons
being away from my home for extended periods of time.
Part-time job
Property Inspector (Former Employee) –  All across the US.October 9, 2013
great experience to work with FEMA and assist families across the country who were in need of assistance.

Would work for them again anytime.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
lot's of travel
FEMA is a great place to work.
Help Line (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXOctober 7, 2013
It is rewarding to help people who call needing help after disasters.
The hardest part of the job is that it is seasonal.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping recover what they lost during floods, hurricanes or earthquakes.
Pros
pleasant atmosphere with professional people.
Cons
work is seasonal and temporary.
Awesome Job
Emmitsburg MD (Former Employee) –  Emmitsburg, MDOctober 2, 2013
If you like helping people after a disaster, then FEMA is the place to work for. People see fliers after a disaster and try to register and some register improperly. To help survivors appeal decisions about eligibility and strive for them to receive the help they need. Whether through FEMA or another agency.
Pros
great pay and lots of exposure
Cons
some survivors of previous disasters want to let you have it.
Great and fun place to work
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 25, 2013
This job was one of the best, The federal Government is wonderful for training it employees to do multiply jobs and the pay is great. There is room for advancement and no one holds you back from being the best that you can be
Cons
great place to work good money
FEMA
Accountabilty Property Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 23, 2013
a typical day at fema: very busy i come in and log on to the system, make sure all work is completed from yesterday, start making phone calls.

Costume Service.
Management: Equal Opportunity
Co-workers: Team Players
Hardest part of the job: Not being able to answer a question from the costumer
Enjoyable part of the day: Costume Service
Pros
great people
Cons
no overtime
Clean
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 16, 2013
The days were not easy due to the effects of Katrina, because of the clients stories. I learned that life is very valuable and we do not know what to expect day after day and to always appreciate what we have. and I learned that the government can put you on hold and still here your conversation caught a lot of cons. my co-workers were all hard working individuals who cared. the hardest part was to here a mother who was planing on killing herself and her children, but the blessen thing was I was able to talk her out of it.
Pros
being able to help
Cons
hearing the horror stories of katrina
Best Investment of Career Time
Pre-Closing Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 12, 2013
Great experience in disaster recovery and the knowledge on policy is impeccable.

4.3