FEMA

FEMA Employer Reviews

FEMA Internship was a great experience
Administrative Summer Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: learned the day to day in disaster readiness
Cons: intern was not year around
• Reviewed and analyzed records management procedures, including retention and conversion procedures; made recommendations for processes improvements.
• Developed and implemented administrative policies and procedures designed to ensure effective administrative processes across a division, unit, or organization in areas such as document control and – more... records management.
• Researched and summarized information from documents, files, and other data and prepared written reports, procurement documents, requisitions and work orders.
• Coordinate administrative actions such as office moves, purchasing of office supplies, subscriptions and telecommunications equipment.
• Prepared letters and memoranda on administrative operations outlining corrective action necessary for efficiency.
• Provided management assistance and technical support to the Division Director on administration activities, and all other duties as assigned. – less
Fun workplace
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Denton, TXJanuary 28, 2013
Fun workplace, contract job, no job security.
The management was a bit unorganized, co workers where very cultural and fun to work with. During this position I learned a lot of new things, and met a ton of people.
Fun place to work
Crisis Outreach Counselor (Former Employee), Miami, FLJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: no benifits, temporary contract
My job is a fun place to work. We go from door to door to provide crisis counseling to Wilma survivors.

Co-worker is great

The hardest part of my job is to see the survivors home destroy by Wilma storm.

Able to provide assistance to the survivors
The most exciting thing about my job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2013
Pros: it was a friendly atmosphere to work in.
Cons: this was only a temporary position.
It was a great experience for me being able to work in different departments and also having the opportunity to meet people from different countries. Alot of the staff that helped out during Hurricane Ike lived many many miles away from home and the nice thing about it was that everyone would take care of each other. One of the things that I learned – more... working for Fema in the disaster was that no matter how difficult things may get we have to keep pushing forward. – less
“Great Opportunity”
FEDERAL EMERGENCY ASSISTANS (Former Employee), New Orleans, LADecember 15, 2012
Pros: worthwhile mission and dedicated employees.
Cons: lack of a goal and terrible communication to the field from hqs.
This may vary somewhat by functional unit, but FEMA staff overall are well-educated and from all occupational fields. The environment is intellectually stimulating and you can always learn something from others with whom you work. The agency heavily hires retirees, expecially from the military and law enforcement, who have experience that corresponds – more... to work done at FEMA. Since most FEMA employees are disaster reservists, no benefits are provided, though this year the agency offered paid holidays, which is greatly appreciated.

Working for FEMA is a great way to see the country, and even the world, since the agency responds to disasters in US protectorates (Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.). You will have good experiences in every location, even in you think you'd never want to go there in a million years. – less
Challenging & Rewarding Work Environment
Public Assistance Coordinator / Project Specialist (Current Employee), Region 3 Philadelphia, PA (Various Disasters)December 12, 2012
FEMA implemented a new Reservist Program which gave current Disaster Assistance Employees the opportunity to apply for the new program, or simply have your appointment expire NLT 12/31/2012. I did not reapply for the program; therefore, my appointment will expire on or about December 22, 2012 upon my demobilization from DR-4093-WV.

Experience in Recovery – more... Events for Public Assistance:
Preliminary Damage Assessments
Applicant briefings
Kick off meetings
Site Visits
Identify hazard mitigation
Project Formulation for eligible repairs
Prepare project worksheets with supporting documentation
Review projects submitted by team members – less
It's a great place to work if you don't mind long hours
Call Center Rep (Former Employee), Winchester, VADecember 12, 2012
Pros: helping people that truely need it
Cons: long hours
Its an easy job as long as you don't mind listen to people and you have a heart. The hardest part of the job is the long hours and sitting alot, but at the end of the day I like the feelings of helping people that are truely in need.
Statisfying work and progress after a disaster
Senior Project Manager (NEFRLS) (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 11, 2012
Pros: learning atmosphere
Cons: work hours
There is no typical day @ FEMA

I learned how to create and publish policy and procedures

Management in FEMA is flexible and available at any given time

My co workers are great and working disasters and creating a functional atmosphere

Just the job repsonsiblities and work with disaster victims.
Good self worth and values
Disaster Recovery Specialist (Current Employee), Across the US of ADecember 10, 2012
Pros: your work really hard and for a good cause
Cons: you work a lot of hours but it is worth it!
Great experience a must do in your career if you get a chance.
Great place to work and learn.
Logistics Management Specialist (Current Employee), New Orleans, LouisianaDecember 4, 2012
Pros: oppurtunity to learn skill other companies want experience for.
Cons: alot of the time the above leads to manager who have no people skills. and job is temporary.
Productive place to work you have many oppurtunity to learn new skills, meet great people. The only drawback is that the job is temporary and you will work youself out of a job. But like I stated before the skills you leave with will get you far in the private sector.
Disaster Assistance
Operator/Doc Control/Loan Admin (Former Employee), Denton, TexasOctober 31, 2012
Very fast paced with lots of employee turnover. Complete call center with departments for personal and business loans.
GREAT WORKPLACE
IT Specialist (Former Employee), Albany, NYOctober 29, 2012
GREAT WORK ENVIRONMENT, GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE,
GREAT COMMUNICATION
GREAT PLACE TO WORK!
Customer Service Trainer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2012
VERY FAST PACE ENVIRONMENT, EMOTIONAL, STRESSFUL, BUT I WAS ABLE TO MAINTAIN MY COMPOSURE AND GET THE JOB DONE. WE WERE THE BASE WHERE THE EMERGENCY CALLS CAME INTO FOR THE HURRICANE VICTIMS. WHILE THEY WERE GOIN UNDER WATER, OR THEIR LOVE ONES WAS DYING RIGHT BEFORE THEIR EYES IT WAS VERY EMOTIONAL BUT I LOVE HELPING PEOPLE.
Very good employer
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Neptune, NJOctober 16, 2012
I enjoyed my experience with FEMA. As a Logistics Specialist I supported field offices and the main office providing service to victims of the storm Irene. There were mandatory courses to learn the processes FEMA employs and also time to learn new skills.

The FEMA management and co-workers made the experience enjoyable and encouraged learning and independence – more... in achieving a successful end result.

In managing documents there were issues of privacy and proper, accurate documentation; I was responsible for receiving forwarding paperwork and the retention and destruction of documents. The most difficult part of the job was continuing change. As different functions of mitigation were completed functions and staff changed. That's were the learning and independence came in to play. Documents arrived and were retrieved as needed, – less
Easy Pace Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chiacgo,ILOctober 12, 2012
It was a easy paced call center job. Taking inbound calls, Making outbound calls. Data Entry so there really wasn't any stress to the job.
very intellegent work force
PROJECT SPECIALIST (Former Employee), NY Cap districtSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: pay
Cons: travel
great work too bad it is dependent on others miserys
60 - 72 hour weeks
meeting lots of people though out NY
Close to home and great working schedule
Translator and Guide (Former Employee), Pago Pago, ASSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: get to visit every places on island
Cons: contract was too short...
I learned how to deal with people with all kinds of attitudes, And how important to help out others...Love to fill out paper works and assist my own people with any needs they had...
Volunteering with FEMA has been awesome.
Volunteer, Emergency Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Tacoma, WA.August 30, 2012
Pros: learning about others.
Cons: can consume you if you are not prepared to deal with other peoples circumstances.
Lots to learn regarding disaster response and relief efforts from behind the scenes. Lots of classes to take and lots of work to do, always.
Stressful and rewarding place to work
Applicant Services Representative (Former Employee), Baton Rouge LA 70802August 28, 2012
Pros: to learn and do all you can for your fellow man in any type of disaster situation.
Cons: stress levels have run high.
Not much to add other than.....

You work with all types of people from all around the world. This is the a great job to assist applicants and work with a great bunch of people.

It is stressfull, but in the long run very rewarding.

I have had 5 different positions since October 2005. I have worked with many people. I have worked directly with the – more... Applicants. It is a job of give and take.

I have enjoyed and have grown with each and every position that I have had with FEMA. I enjoy helping people and this position gives me this satisfaction of helping all in need. – less
productive
Fema Security Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 19, 2012
Pros: get to travel all over the country.
Cons: away from home a lot.
I have learn overall management skill and training. I have worked for Fema for the last seven years and really enjoy the work get to meet a lot of interesting people and get to help people as well.