FEMA

FEMA Employer Reviews

Over all i enjoyed working with this company
Debris Monitor (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNMay 16, 2013
Pros: peaceful being outside
Cons: paying for my own gas
I enjoyed working with this company. I learned to monitor the trucks picking up the debris from the tornado in April of 2011. The people I worked with were great and interesting. I enjoy meeting new people. There was no hard part to the job and I also learned a lot of new places to see. The management was great they knew what they were doing the whole time. A typical day at work was following behind the trucks and watching them work on cleaning up the area.
Well structured
Logistics Support Director (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOApril 25, 2013
DHS is very well structured to meet the demands of any emergency.
It is a very political job with much time away from family
Stafford Act Employee - DAE (Former Employee), Denton, TXApril 23, 2013
Archaic management with military personnel which still think you have to ask high when they say.
Excellent place to work
Desktop Support (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 23, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: na
Fema was a wonderful place to work. The management team provided multiple training sessions and advancement.
Good job
Debris Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLApril 2, 2013
Meet alot of good people from across the country. i also learned alot aboout a good work ethic
Government work
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAApril 1, 2013
Pros: helped a lot of people
Cons: temporary job
Great pay, safety oriented and caring. although it was a temporary position I learned a lot and was able to help a lot of people
Working in a call center during a disataer.
Claims Agent (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAMarch 27, 2013
Pros: to be able to help.
Cons: being restricted to help.
Sad event working in the call center and taking calls from misplaced familys that are in need of assistance.
Compation !
Where helpful to the team but very tuff situation.
Were supportive.
taking calls with people distressed and in need and you can't do any more that listien to the experience that they have been through.
Being able to help someone in need.
Brief summary of Direct Response Representative
Direct Response Representative (Former Employee), Denton, TXMarch 20, 2013
As a Direct Response Representative, I conduct scripted telephone interviews with applicants according to established policies & procedures. I gather and compile information from a complex database in order to register applicants for disaster assistance. I determine applicant needs according to the Robert T. Stafford Act, and provide standardized referrals to appropriate disaster programs, community resources, and/or other Federal, State and local agencies. I also provide in dept information and explanations of Housing Assistance, Other Needs Assistance, and other programs to applicants which allow processing for financial assistance.
Great place to help people in need
human services specialist (Former Employee), Hyattsville, MDMarch 4, 2013
Opportunity to help people that are in dire financial and survival needs. Co-workers also were there to help the disaster victims and fellow co-workers. The most difficult part of the job was adapting to the change in shift hours. Received very positive feedback brom supervisors and disaster victims.
Productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2013
The company provided a great experience in handling high call volumne.
Provides me to learn new skills everytime I am deployed to work.
Applicant Service Project Specialist (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: the pay is good.
Cons: time away from home and family.
Everyday is a new day and can bring new skills to learn and the opportunity to grow as an employee.

Management handles the office as directed by Washington.

This job as allowed me to meet many different people from all walks of life.

The hardest part of the job is being away from home for months on end.

The most enjoyable part of this job is traveling to other parts of the country that I have never been.
fun working with my own little crew
Worker (Former Employee), Kidder, MOFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: worked on our own time.
Cons: no benefits
I ran a crew for the massive ice storm we had. we cleaned up the town of kidder Mo, From fallin trees branches...debris.. hardest part of the job would of been trying to not slip with chainsaws in the hands. Funnest part was working with friends and getting things done.
Fun work place loved being able to help people
Helpline Representative (Former Employee), Hyattsville, MDFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: team lunch party, team christmas party, & great co-workers
Cons: short lunch break
A typical day at work would be answering phone calls. I would assist the applicants with inquiries they were calling about. I let applicants know the status of their applications. I've learned how to do GS7 work in a short period of time. Management was very helpful when questions where asked. If they didnt have or know an answer they would get the appropriate person to assist us. My co-workers were amazing they made the slow days fun at the work place. We were a great team. We assisted each other when we had questions one of us knew the anwer to. The hardest part of the job was dealing with very iriate applicants. The most enjoyable part of the job was providing good new to the applicants.
Excellant experiance, great people
Crew Chief (Former Employee), Wilkes-Barre , PAJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: great working enviroment
Cons: temperary job
Working outside to clean up flood affected area's was a pleasure. To help the community and your fellow neghbor's was very fullfilling.
FEMA Internship was a great experience
Administrative Summer Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: learned the day to day in disaster readiness
Cons: intern was not year around
• Reviewed and analyzed records management procedures, including retention and conversion procedures; made recommendations for processes improvements.
• Developed and implemented administrative policies and procedures designed to ensure effective administrative processes across a division, unit, or organization in areas such as document control and records management.
• Researched and summarized information from documents, files, and other data and prepared written reports, procurement documents, requisitions and work orders.
• Coordinate administrative actions such as office moves, purchasing of office supplies, subscriptions and telecommunications equipment.
• Prepared letters and memoranda on administrative operations outlining corrective action necessary for efficiency.
• Provided management assistance and technical support to the Division Director on administration activities, and all other duties as assigned.
Fun workplace
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Denton, TXJanuary 28, 2013
Fun workplace, contract job, no job security.
The management was a bit unorganized, co workers where very cultural and fun to work with. During this position I learned a lot of new things, and met a ton of people.
Fun place to work
Crisis Outreach Counselor (Former Employee), Miami, FLJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: no benifits, temporary contract
My job is a fun place to work. We go from door to door to provide crisis counseling to Wilma survivors.

Co-worker is great

The hardest part of my job is to see the survivors home destroy by Wilma storm.

Able to provide assistance to the survivors
The most exciting thing about my job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2013
Pros: it was a friendly atmosphere to work in.
Cons: this was only a temporary position.
It was a great experience for me being able to work in different departments and also having the opportunity to meet people from different countries. Alot of the staff that helped out during Hurricane Ike lived many many miles away from home and the nice thing about it was that everyone would take care of each other. One of the things that I learned working for Fema in the disaster was that no matter how difficult things may get we have to keep pushing forward.
“Great Opportunity”
FEDERAL EMERGENCY ASSISTANS (Former Employee), New Orleans, LADecember 15, 2012
Pros: worthwhile mission and dedicated employees.
Cons: lack of a goal and terrible communication to the field from hqs.
This may vary somewhat by functional unit, but FEMA staff overall are well-educated and from all occupational fields. The environment is intellectually stimulating and you can always learn something from others with whom you work. The agency heavily hires retirees, expecially from the military and law enforcement, who have experience that corresponds to work done at FEMA. Since most FEMA employees are disaster reservists, no benefits are provided, though this year the agency offered paid holidays, which is greatly appreciated.

Working for FEMA is a great way to see the country, and even the world, since the agency responds to disasters in US protectorates (Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.). You will have good experiences in every location, even in you think you'd never want to go there in a million years.
Challenging & Rewarding Work Environment
Public Assistance Coordinator / Project Specialist (Current Employee), Region 3 Philadelphia, PA (Various Disasters)December 12, 2012
FEMA implemented a new Reservist Program which gave current Disaster Assistance Employees the opportunity to apply for the new program, or simply have your appointment expire NLT 12/31/2012. I did not reapply for the program; therefore, my appointment will expire on or about December 22, 2012 upon my demobilization from DR-4093-WV.

Experience in Recovery Events for Public Assistance:
Preliminary Damage Assessments
Applicant briefings
Kick off meetings
Site Visits
Identify hazard mitigation
Project Formulation for eligible repairs
Prepare project worksheets with supporting documentation
Review projects submitted by team members