Fender Musical Instruments Corporation

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation Employee Reviews

great product line, poor working conditions
Principal Engineer, Research and Development (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 2, 2017
Engineers not given enough technical or clerical support which detracted from the time spent on design and analysis. Engineers also had to create large part lists and costing studies.
Not quite what you think.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fender Musical InstrumentsMarch 29, 2017
A company in transition. Very difficult for employees to grip. There are years of changes to come before Fenders' employees, can enjoy what it once was- in regards to a place to work.
Pros
Fellow employees
Cons
See above
Great work place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 6, 2017
I enjoyed working at Fender. Great work station. Employee's very friendly. Got to listen to music, lots of raffles and employee appreciation day's. Management was very professional.
Pros
I worked there for 3yrs great appmosphere
Cons
We got laid off
Typical Day
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, TNFebruary 19, 2017
Received in all UPS and LTL's , inventory control and input data each day as products were received in. Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Pros
good work enviroment
Cons
no promotions
Excellent!
Senior Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time at the company working with great people and attaining sales goals month after month in a great atmosphere.
Overall Great Place
Intern Sanding (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAJanuary 13, 2017
First off, the customer appreciation this company showed was really amazing. From complementary lunch to raffles and special events, management made us feel really good working there. Second, the people working there were really easy to work with. I didn't dread having to work. The experience I gained from there will be useful in my future jobs, as well. Overall a great working environment.
Guitars and Travel
Traveling Sales Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 18, 2016
Traveling and promoting the amazing products that FMIC produces was a great job. Loved the marketing and tour planning aspects of the job.
Manufacturing company that has systemic problems
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAMay 2, 2016
I worked for Fender's engineering department for 1.5 years. Fender produces some of the best guitars out there - they have an incredible product. However, they do this not because they manufacture well (without errors), but because their QA departments won't pass any guitars that don't meet truly fantastic specifications. To correct this problem required a fair investment in equipment and facilities, and the management when I was there didn't believe in spending a lot of money. Bottom line: if you want to work there, be prepared for frustration - the culture was laid back when I was there, but success in engineering required accounting for production management that was jaded from engineering's latest and greatest ideas, an entrenched way of doing things among the rank and file line workers, and a factory that was ran so near its limit that there was a large number of product errors that could be avoided in a larger or better designed facility.

Special note: Fender seems to be a "mature" company. Short of expansion, there's not a lot of room for advancement, but people are pretty secure in their positions.

A typical day at work: A "typical" manufacturing engineering job - project based, manager keeps an eye on you. Projects are typically introducing a new product or pursuing a process improvement. There is a surprising number of "forensics" jobs where you need to find out what happened with a particular batch.

Management: Typically laid back as long as you do your job. When I had left, Fender was encountering a kind of "culture shift" due to a new manager. Word from
  more... colleagues is that several other engineers left since then.

Your coworkers: Most laid back group of people I've ever dealt with, and they love their work. Would definitely work there again.

The hardest part of the job: Producing actual, sustainable change and making a boss who was new to Fender culture happy.

The most enjoyable part of the job: Projects introducing new products. Marketing says to R&D "We need a guitar that lights up neon when you strum it, and weighs three ounces", R&D goes "what?!" then mutters to itself in a corner until their wizards get together and make exactly what marketing ordered. Engineering gets the prototype and says, "What?! You spent 30 hours making one guitar and you want us to make one in 2..." Then engineering looks at what they did, gets to play around with new ideas and processes and finally makes something that will work. The job is fun when you're trying new things.
Pros
Fun people, fun job, the feeling of "art" in your work
Cons
Process improvement is difficult due to inertia, management issues
n/a
distribution (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CANovember 2, 2015
my job was steady i knew what to do everyday i unloaded and loaded trailers i drove forklift and sitdown forklift the co workers were helpful
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
n/a
A productive and fufilling place to work with lots of creative people.
District Sales Manager - Sales (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 25, 2015
A wonderful work atmosphere with the best in the Music Industry for guidance and direction. The product is fantastic, but what really makes the company great is the people who are so passionate about all of the details that make the brand what it is today.
my job was really cool.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Corona, CASeptember 28, 2015
My typical day at work was to clock in at 5:00.am do exercise with all my co-workers, and right away i need it too start doing cycle count because before 7:00 a.m needed to present my report to the QA. I learn a lot, my supervisor show me how to work with excel and little by little i start learning by my self. My management was to have my head clear to do my job correctly, my co-workers were really nice to me because i always come in with a smile and do everything for them because i was there material handler they looked at as there leader. My hardest part of my job was when my supervisor would send me too his meeting and didn't have no clue what was going on. My most enjoyable part of my job was that i was always walking, fixing problems that i only know how to fix and going out to the other warehouse to take material to shipped out.
Productive, busy and fun environment
Consumer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 16, 2015
A typical day at Fender for me revolved around being the first point of contact for all consumers, everything from troubleshooting consumers issues, to qualifying and selling products that met consumers needs and helping coworkers with product information, and on the job training.

Management were very hands-off, you had a lot of expectations to meet and the management was great at inspiring confidence.
Pros
Fun work environment, learning on the job, team oriented
Great Company, Great Brand
Consumer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 22, 2015
I worked with excellent managers and fellow coworkers. Perfect mix of day to day camaraderie and consummate professionalism.
Pros
everything about the job, except...
Cons
... cubicle jobs are not for me.
confusing and frustrating. not as 'cool' as you would think.
Long term employee (Former Employee) –  BloomfieldMarch 29, 2015
don't be fooled by the iconic brand. when you boil it down, the few on top care nothing for the people below or the long term future of the company. in the Larry era, it's all about top management getting their cut and running.
Pros
great products rooted in the history of rock and roll
Cons
false culture, high management turnover, forgotten about roots
productive and fun place with ping pong table
Guitar Inspector/ Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 29, 2015
A typical day required a detailed eye for imperfections on any of the instruments I repaired, tuned, and inspected. I developed rapidly into a quick service repairman because of the demands of the lead supervisor who rejected to work on any guitar that wasn't a special order for an international recording artist endorsed by the company. the management neglected the importance of the equality in the workplace which made it harder on the actual workers to be productive. my co workers were like family and understood and valued each other's virtues, unfortunately that wasn't the case with the supervisors. the hardest part of the job was improvising with the lack of tools but it really taught me to work with what I had in front of me because I was being timed on my production and quality.
the most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to do what I loved which was work on guitars and make them feel high quality and ready to play for the buyer.
Pros
Company parties
Cons
Inequality
Great Corporate Culture, Undergoing Significant Positive Change
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 25, 2015
At Fender, my managers have been very good about creating open communication lines to ensure each employee is on the proper career path and is happy with their work. I am typically able to complete my own workload with ease and am constantly looking for more to do and learn. Fender has been great about giving me additional duties, responsibilities, and opportunities to help me grow.
Once a great company, now just a "job"
Channel Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Corona, CADecember 9, 2014
The first 10 years at Fender were great.

The last 4 years, I was looking for the exit.

High stress/low pay.

Management style is via intimidation and fear
Pros
Working in the Music Indusdtry
Cons
Every cliche about a terrible job is true at Fender
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Corona, CASeptember 16, 2014
The true spirit of rock and roll lives here, Really fun place to work at
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
commuting
exciting and interesting place to work
Sander/ production (Former Employee) –  Corona, CASeptember 3, 2014
work environment was good just co-workers really didn't participate as team members. Management was poor didn't know how to communicate with employees and a lot of favoritism but overall the work wise was fun because of the new things i learned about guitars and especially when working on one from someone famous.
Great brand name terrible company
Sales (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale AZSeptember 1, 2014
I have worked in other positions with fenders management. If you want to be unhappy and insulted ... Go work there and make far below average money.
Pros
Great brand name
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation Reviews by Location