Fenway Health Employee Reviews

Overall negative experience
Employee (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 22, 2017
My experience working at Fenway Health was overall negative. In fact, as a result, I am afraid to provide any additional information about my treatment at this organization in fear that the vindictive members of upper management might attempt retaliation.

You might feel good about working for an organization that has an LGBT focused mission statement but that is overshadowed by some of the toxic folks who run this place.

In a city with so many amazing educational and medical institutions I recommend avoiding Fenway Health and working at one of the countless other places in the area.
Cons
PTSD after working there
Great management and compensation, fun place
Mail Room Clerk/support Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 19, 2016
For a large office with hundreds of employees, we had an strong, high-functioning employment team, with responsive managers. Twenty team members helped operations run smoothly, so each member knew what was expected and how to do their job.
Pros
Supportive management, excellent training
Cons
Staff retention
Favoritism at its worst...
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 9, 2016
It doesn't matter how good your work and ethic are, management would rather lose good people, than do the right, fair, and proper thing. Priority is given to the people who have the most letters after their names...not the hardest workers.

The staff, however, make it an amazing place. Some days I wonder if I made a mistake leaving. Other days, I'm glad I escaped before I lost all faith in honest and fair management.
Pros
Very casual and fun environment, yet professional.
Cons
Overcrowded work spaces, upper management is title, not performance, driven.
Good company, challenged senior management.
Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 23, 2016
Fenway's merger with the AIDS Action has created a challenged senior management team with a lot of infighting and bullying, racial tension and poor strategy.
Pros
Good services
Cons
Infighting, drama, bullying
Toxic Work Environment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  South EndMay 1, 2015
I was hired as Licensed Practical Nurse at Fenway Health. Great providers, quality care, however,for an organization that prides itself in diversity and acceptance, I was SHOCKED at the toxic office environment I experienced! There was a huge culture of entitlement among veteran staff, and it was evident early on that newer staff were shunned. I was very excited about embarking on a long career at Fenway. Unfortunately, I was informed that 3 people in the 10 months had been FIRED just prior to the 90 day probationary period ending. Didn't want to be number 4! Fenway should promote from within, so current staff don't have to run to Managers and belittle coworkers behind their backs! And management/ HR needs to be upfront with new hires as to what expectations are early on, NOT indicate that it is a warm, supportive environment, and find reasons to give bad reviews/ terminate MA & Nursing staff because of " popularity contest!" Think before you accept the offer! NOT as good as it sounds!
Pros
Great providers, commitment to patients.
Cons
Toxic, " catty" environment.
Mission driven organization that cares for its employees as much as the community it serves.
administrative/ nonclinical staff (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 21, 2014
I've worked here for almost a year and a half. This is the first job I've had where I've loved most days. I can see myself working at Fenway for a very long time. I love that the the staff is reflective of the community it serves- it's an LGBT inclusive environment, with friendly staff. The biggest perk is definitely the benefits- low cost health insurance, free dental, discounts on lots of other things, and generous time off. Plus you can add a domestic partner to your insurance, no questions asked!

The health center is experiencing some of the typical growing pains that come with adding a lot of staff in a short period of time, but the management team seems to be open to suggestions for improving systems while keeping the community/ grassroots feeling going among the staff.
Pros
Benefits package, diverse staff, inclusive environment.
Cons
Would love to see more formal staff development and training opportunities.
Not as great as it sounds!
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 6, 2014
When it comes to management it is disorganized and they won't give their employees raises.
Amazing;y comfortable environment
Character Designer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2013
Me and a team of animators created an animated commercial for the company. They were beyond gracious and thankful. This was a very rewarding experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fenway Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4